Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building Tombs! Guest Lecturer: Lissykin! ViewAll Lessons Now! (see post 1)

Comments

• LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited August 2012
    Shift+click the door and select Link to Activated Behavior, then Open.

DoorLinkedActivatedBehaviorsPostTorchTrigger.png

DoorActivatedOpen.png
    edited August 2012
    I'm glad everyone is still with me! :)
    We're almost done with the first steps. You're doing well!!

Now a red box will outline the torch and the door. Hover the mouse over the torch until it turns green.

DoorTorchLinkActivatedComplete.png

The green indicates the trigger is set. Now your test simmie should visit the lot to test the function you’ve created.
    That’s the basics of setting a torch to open a secret door.
    Now for a bit more fun!
    edited August 2012
    After our intrepid explorer ventures through the first secret door, he will discover a small room. In the small room I have placed a hidden door and a floor plate:

1Floorplate.png
    edited August 2012
    First, we will need to lock the door. ctrl+shift+click the door. Select Add the ability to add triggers and activated behaviors:

2DoorAddTriggers.png

Next, crtl+shift+click the door again and select Lock:

3LockDoor.png
  • Kryst51Kryst51 Posts: 2,073 Member
    edited August 2012
    If I hover over the torch it turns red, but If I hover over the door it turns green. Does that mean I've done something wrong?
    edited August 2012
    @Kryst: Nope, it just means they are connected. You're doing great! It's just showing you with colors which is the trigger and which is the behavior. :)

When your test simmie goes through at the end, you'll see it all in action. You did it just right. :D

edited August 2012
    Remember the rule, first the trigger, than the behavior? Let’s put that into practice. To set the trigger, go back to the floor plate, ctrl+shift+click it and select Link Triggers:

4LinkTriggersFloorPlate.png

Now ctrl+shift+click again and select Step on:

5StepOn.png
    edited August 2012
    Now for the activated behavior, which in this case is Unhide. Ctrl+shift+click the door and select Link to Activated behavior:

6LinkActivatedBehaviors.png

Then unhide:

7UnhideDoor.png
  • sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited August 2012
    I'm reaching the right end result, but my menus read a bit differently. It's working though.
    edited August 2012
    @Sharonxyz: Good! I'm glad you're sorting it out okay. It's odd how the game sorts the options. I noticed that they would be in different locations while I was putting this together. As long as you stick to the commands, like you have, all will be well. :D

Is everyone else okay? Am I going too fast?
  • ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2012
    I don't think it's too fast, but I HAVE messed with the triggers and stuff a little bit before I took the class.

How are the absolute beginners doing out there? Anyone need a second?
    oow785m
    edited August 2012
    Alrighty, last step:

Enable auto-open after inspect

8EnableAutoOpen.png

Our floor plate has turned green and is pointing to show the connection to the door. We’ve done it! Now our door will show itself when the explorer steps on the floor plate. Without using processors, this is as far as we can go. The explorer is now ready to test the creation. They will step on the plate, and the door will unhide itself, allowing the adventurer to push on the door to gain entry.
    edited August 2012
    Going great!! Yep, sometimes I need to hit "more" options to see what I need plus anything with the dots after it will open another menu.
    edited August 2012
    Good, good!

So, that's the basics! I hope you have loads fun with this technique. :D
    If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thank you for attending the first lesson!

I'm here if you need me. You may not know what questions to ask until you test the lot, so go ahead and go to Edit Town again, and choose a simmie to test out your traps. :mrgreen:
  • JediArielJediAriel Posts: 4,870 Member
    edited August 2012
    I was lost for a bit because the menus weren't matching, but I've got it now. Thank you Lissy!!!
    edited August 2012
    Yay, Ariel! :D

I'm glad you sorted it out! Once you have the general idea, its pretty straight forward. :)
  • priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    Great, all done, no problems! That was super, Lissy!

Except for my Tester is a little slow... she steps on the pad, and the door shows up, but I can't get her to examine the door and open it. Just keeps giving me the message that there must be a hidden switch somewhere to open the door... silly girl.
    edited August 2012
    I have two questions, but if it is stuff that you will cover in other lessons you can just say so and I will wait!

1. Where do you get the door that rotates to open? I don't see it in the tomb stuff (but could have overlooked it) AND I don't see it in the doors either.

2. You showed us how to un-hide the door, but how do you make the door hidden in the first place? Does the same thing work to make hidden stairs?
    oow785m
    edited August 2012
    @P-Pup: If you still have trouble getting her to examine the door, try going back into Edit Town mode, selecting the lot and choosing build/buy - then resetting the floor trap. The easiest way to do it is to use the Reset option on the floorplate and door.

@Zoo: 1. The door is in the regular door menu as a World Adventures item.

2. That particular door is always hidden to begin with...when you choose
    a standard door, you're right, you follow the same steps as you would
    for hiding a staircase; and yes I'll go over it that in a later
    lesson. I'm happy to take you through it privately pre-class if you
    want. ;)
    edited August 2012
    OK, I'm caught up!
    edited August 2012
    Lissykin wrote:
    @P-Pup: If you still have trouble getting her to examine the door, try going back into Edit Town node and resetting the floor trap. The easiest way to do it is to use the Reset option on the floorplate and door.

@Zoo: 1. The door is in the regular door menu as a World Adventures item.

2. That particular door is always hidden to begin with...when you choose
    a standard door, you're right, you follow the same steps as you would
    for hiding a staircase; and yes I'll go over it that in a later
    lesson. I'm happy to take you through it privately pre-class if you
    want. ;)

Oh, heck no, I can wait! I just didn't want to miss out on anything!
    oow785m
  • priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    Ok, I tried the whole thing again, even hiding doors again, but, I didn't go out of Edit Town mode. So, I'll do that one and let you know. Thanks!
    edited August 2012
    @Zoo: LOLOLOL Awesome! I'm glad you had it all work the right way!

@P-pup: It should work just fine this time. Wishing you luck! :)
    edited August 2012
    mmm.... I step on the plate, the door unhides, I have the option to inspect and I get a prompt that says there must be a switch to unlock the door. And it won't let me inpect it.
    edited August 2012
    two notes:

1) I need to remember that I can hold shift (or control/shift) when she is in live mode and click "build on this lot" or "buy on this lot". Otherwise she zooms home, as I gave her a starter home. Hey, she likes it :)

2) I haven't tried reset, but have learned that after messing up I can use the clear all triggers and actions from this object, which I did and retried. I'm still needing practice, as in the end I just had to teleport her to the door to
    "re-inspect", as she kept wanting to walk around the building

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top