Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA -It's Rant Time-

Comments

• Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited January 2012
    No email verification?

Well, there is the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.

EA really do need help at running a forum.
  • Options
    BurgelturdBurgelturd Posts: 48
    edited January 2012
    I think they only thing they can do now to get the forum clean again is to wipe it, start fresh and make some changes to how they manage the forum, perhaps allowing Mods/Guru's to ban people being a first.
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited January 2012
    Yes, because ignoring it for a year certainly made him go away, didn't it? He hasn't just struck the forums, he's sent death threats to people on their personal blogs. We have continuously blocked his IP from commenting, but he would just come back with another one. That has taken place since February or March of last year.

We have made suggestions as far as how to properly prevent him, or at least slow him down:

- So far, you don't need a valid email address to register here. Make that a requirement for one.

- You don't have to register a game to create an account. Make that a requirement.

- You don't have to be friends with another member to send them gifts. Change that.

- You don't have the option to decline a gift, or block/report hidden pages. Change that.

I'm sorry to burst the bubbles of people who are apparently new to this issue, but he's not here for the attention. He's not your everyday troll. He just wants to watch the world burn. He could care less about the responses. For example, you made a post, he'll come after you next, just because he saw you there. It has nothing to do with your post, but the fact that you posted and are visible. That's the way he operates, and sorry, a year of ignoring hasn't stopped him, and more ignoring won't stop him either. That should be evidenced by last night's stunt that he pulled.

I didn't mean ignoring him from EA's point, but rather from the forummers', because I imagine the psycho cackles maniacally and rubs his hands in delight every time he sees a new thread dedicated to him and/or his actions.
    I apologize, but when you boast about your website being "family-friendly" and the minimum age for registration is 13+, then you should most definitely be held responsible for this kind of behavior that has gone on for almost a year, especially when the community has been throwing very good ideas out there to prevent it, which they haven't done.

Yes, the internet is not safe. That is why there are disclosure warnings on sites that host or link to mature content. That is why you are required to be of 13 years or older to have an account on Facebook, or have an account here. That is why, whenever someone does post mature content on Facebook, it's usually taken down pretty quick.

Sorry, I'm not saying that EA are directly responsible, but they have had a year to do something about this. That makes them negligent, and it makes them an enabler of this behavior to continue. They've had ample opportunity, they didn't capitalize on that, which makes this latest round of behavior their responsibility.

You may not agree, but there it is.

ETA: As a note. On my website, I have a rant blog where I will swear, use obscenity, maybe even offend people. I disclose that on the very front page of my blog, and in a very clear area. I make it clear that I do these things, and from then on, it's up to the parents. I have yet to see a disclosure on their front page, or a warning when you enter the forums, and if they're going to allow the behavior to continue for a Teen/Child fanbase, then they should most certainly provide a warning page upon entering the forums, or a disclosure upon arriving at the website.

To be honest and I mean no disrespect but you're being a little bit dramatic. I've been stalking these forums for a while and sure, I may not post daily but I personally have never seen any of his disgusting trolling firsthand, only heard of it in the aftermath forum posts (you might call me very lucky). That tells me that either this doesn't happen as often as people dramatize it to happen or EA is doing a respectable job in dealing with the posts as swiftly as their resources allow them.

I'm not playing captain save-an-EA but let's face it, it's easy for a user to sit on their behind all day complaining about over-exaggerated incompetence. Yes, you're a customer and your complaints and issues should be dealt with, but like I mentioned in my first post, please stop for a moment and imagine you work for EA. I bet it's far more complex to deal with the loon than make a short list of romanticised suggestions because if it was so easy I'm sure this would have been solved the same day he started. I'm sure EA isn't full of masochists who let the loon run rampant on purpose for a full day posting **** on the forums because they just love deleting threads. Or enjoy answering a dozen complaints about the loon when they could be helping people with invalid game codes who in turn will be making angry topics on the forums because their online chat wait time is close to 2 hours.

I entirely agree with Num that the Internet is a dangerous place. You're slightly delusional and far too optimistic if you think that all child unsuitable content has a warning disclaimer because that certainly isn't true. Hell, I'm old enough to know about the birds and the bees and don't visit naughty sites so they're definitely not lodged in my cookies somewhere for the spyware to bombard me with equal advertisement but I still get those pop-ups with borderline explicit images and suggestive text, linked to innocent sites containing films and shows. Or the famed "Hot singles looking for a fun date near you!" ads plastered all over the normal website main pages. If you want to rid even the slightest chance of your child being exposed to such material then you shouldn't let them use the Internet in the first place. It'd be great if everyone on the Internet cared about the youth and their innocence but sadly hardly anyone does as long as it brings them $$$.

I do agree with you that there should be a warning when entering the forums. It's not only because of potential **** spam, but in general half of these forums are not suitable for under 18's with people making posts on how they want to kill off their children or pets etc. It's also unfortunate that people are receiving death threats, let's hope puberty and common courtesy hit him like a truck and he will bow his head in shame.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    billisrulzbillisrulz Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2012
    Im 14, and I'm pretty glad I haven't come across this yet. O.O
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited January 2012
    @Joolster: This isn't just a rare thing that happens every now and then. This goes on for weeks if not months at a time, then we get a lull and before long he's back again doing exactly the same thing and I'm only talking about the forums because I haven't seen his activity on people's personal blogs.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with you. Yeah you have to execute caution when you're on the internet but this is a professional site run by a big company and yeah, you do get the odd troll every now and then making a fool of themselves and posting explicit pictures on any website but this problem is not new to EA, it's been going on for a year. Hell the exchange, particularly the pattern section has played host to lewd images before he even came along.

Fact of the matter is that if EA actually cared they would have made a public announcement about this by now to try and assure us that they are doing all they can to deal with this problem. I mean the images aside people are recieving death threats from this sorry excuse for a human being!

Instead they axed a good moderator who did nothing but help this community and have been issuing warnings for occasional bumping. Does that sound like a company that cares about their site going to hell? About minors seeing inappropriate images? I think not.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited January 2012
    It makes me almost sad that some of you don't seem to understand when we say that this is so much more than the forum postings.
    Yes if you don't see them, you are lucky.
    And so you are if you don't gets lots of gift and friendrequests.
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    edited January 2012
    I don't know what we are talking about here and I have been a long time simmer and have not ever seen anything like your talkin about and im a 34 year old adult.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited January 2012
    Check out my signature for a petition I started to EA. Please feel free to share it with anyone else you think feels the same way.

--Wibble :)
  • Options
    x_MG_xx_MG_x Posts: 21,308 Member
    edited January 2012
    Yeah it's kinda sad that the only way for children/teens to be safe is to let them hide in the basement, and not let them deal with any electronics like computers, phones, etc.

I just wish that trolls like him would just actually get a life, and stop using the Internet to do stuff that they shouldn't do.
    BTW, call me Jake.
  • Options
    sunset1624sunset1624 Posts: 354 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Check out my signature for a petition I started to EA. Please feel free to share it with anyone else you think feels the same way.

Nice siggy! :D
  • Options
    MysteryJokerMysteryJoker Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited January 2012
    It would seem you've encountered one of the lowest & most common forms of troll breeds.

The Vulgar Troll:
    These, the crudest of all trolls, make no attempt to hide their species. Often, they make racist comments, or they may post **** and other spam. Vulgars usually confine their comments merely to primitive, profane, off-topic observations. When you log into the Really Profound Serious Philosophical Discussions board and see the post, "I smell my farts," you've spotted the Vulgar Troll. Other species of troll sometimes revert to this form when cornered.

Please note that the best way to handle a troll is to completely and utterly ignore them. It's 2012; this should be known by now. You respond; you lose.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited January 2012
    Joolster wrote:
    I didn't mean ignoring him from EA's point, but rather from the forummers', because I imagine the psycho cackles maniacally and rubs his hands in delight every time he sees a new thread dedicated to him and/or his actions.

Have you actually read the posts on here properly? I mean, really read them? He is not a normal troll, if any of them are normal, he is sick and needs help after running a hate campaign for nearly a year. A YEAR.

Joolster wrote:
    To be honest and I mean no disrespect but you're being a little bit dramatic. I've been stalking these forums for a while and sure, I may not post daily but I personally have never seen any of his disgusting trolling firsthand, only heard of it in the aftermath forum posts (you might call me very lucky). That tells me that either this doesn't happen as often as people dramatize it to happen or EA is doing a respectable job in dealing with the posts as swiftly as their resources allow them.

"Either this doesn't happen as often as people dramatise it to happen" - What? I cannot believe that you have posted that. You clearly have not read this thread properly, nor any other threads relating to this issue. And you think AE is being "a little too dramatic"? She has received death threats, been told to kill herself and other unmentionable things for almost a year. She has received numerous "gifts" via the gifting system from this person with explicit and nasty messages. Did you know that he has created nearly 170 user accounts on here?
    Joolster wrote:
    You're slightly delusional and far too optimistic if you think that all child unsuitable content has a warning disclaimer because that certainly isn't true.

That's not what she's saying at all and frankly it's insulting to AE that you would call her "slightly delusional". I really think you should re-read her posts.
    Joolster wrote:
    I do agree with you that there should be a warning when entering the forums. It's not only because of potential **** spam, but in general half of these forums are not suitable for under 18's with people making posts on how they want to kill off their children or pets etc. It's also unfortunate that people are receiving death threats, let's hope puberty and common courtesy hit him like a truck and he will bow his head in shame.

So you think that killing a bunch of pixels does warrant an over 18 warning? I'm speechless.

Joolster, please take a moment to do some research on this. You can google my username, AE's username, either way you will find pages and pages of information and updates about this troll. I know you are new to this situation but please, it is insulting to post what you have, especially to someone who has had to deal with it for so long.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited January 2012
    Joolster wrote:

Let's make it known that I don't necessarily condone all of the "EA fix it" threads, but I neither condemn them. I actually agree that there shouldn't be ten threads started to yell at him, or yell at EA. Should there be one? Perhaps, but after he posted a graphic image in it, it was closed down, and that thread provided links to all the pages so people could block him if they could, as well as throwing in our ideas to those who have the power to do something. That thread was affirmed when a rep told a member that they were actually looking at our ideas.

While a thread about this subject can yes, draw attention from him, at the same time, it has also helped get EA's attention. Sometimes, the cost is worth it, especially when nothing else in the past has worked. The community ignoring him didn't work. Blocking his accounts didn't work (he just made new ones over and over. We've been keeping a list, and we're getting close to 200 accounts that he's made, because he doesn't need a valid email address or a game code (and when he needs one, he goes to Live Chat and gets one from EA. We have screenshot proof of that), so the community as well as EA have been ignoring him. Once again, didn't work did it?
    Joolster wrote:

No, I'm not being dramatic, I'm being realistic. I have been receiving constant friend requests and disgusting gifts since April of 2011, and so have many other people. This run he just recently went on was with an old account that he used last year to post disgusting images all over the forums, which caused a Fox affiliate in Maryland to run a story on it. That account should have been blocked in May of 2011. I have also been receiving constant visits to my site (and my old Blogger blog before my website) since May of 2011. It was a few new IPs every week, more comments to moderate, etc. etc. Even now, with my website, I had to block an entire country from visiting so I could have a couple of days where I didn't have to bother with blocking yet another new IP. I'm being truthful with my accusations, not dramatic. It's not only the forums, it's the gifting system as well, and also the friend requests and comments on member's pages. You cannot refuse a gift, and you cannot block him if he has hidden his page, allowing him to send you all the gifts he pleases, aka, harassment. Harassment is unwanted personal contact from someone.

And that's the problem. You think I'm being dramatic, but you've never seen it first hand. I have multiple folders containing various screenshots from the past year, including graphic images on the forums from last May, death threats on my site and blogs since last year as well as death threats and harassment through the gifting system here, and even personal emails from him containing death threats. As I have said, I'm in contact with an FBI agent, and have provided him with all the necessary documentation to hopefully get this person caught. Now, since I've done all I can with regards to my own harassment by him, I'm trying to help others. You can be cynical all you like, but that's your choice.
    Joolster wrote:
    I'm not playing captain save-an-EA but let's face it, it's easy for a user to sit on their behind all day complaining about over-exaggerated incompetence. Yes, you're a customer and your complaints and issues should be dealt with, but like I mentioned in my first post, please stop for a moment and imagine you work for EA. I bet it's far more complex to deal with the loon than make a short list of romanticised suggestions because if it was so easy I'm sure this would have been solved the same day he started. I'm sure EA isn't full of masochists who let the loon run rampant on purpose for a full day posting **** on the forums because they just love deleting threads. Or enjoy answering a dozen complaints about the loon when they could be helping people with invalid game codes who in turn will be making angry topics on the forums because their online chat wait time is close to 2 hours.

And once again, I don't just sit here complaining, I sit here and do take action, whether keeping in touch with the agent, or speaking with the media (which reminds me, I need to call that reporter and have a talk with him like he requested) as well as trying to keep EA informed.

And yes, it is very easy if you know how a forum or a website works. However, the problem seems to be that those in charge either want to continue ignoring him (once again, shows how well that works) or lack the will or necessary knowledge to do this. I'm sorry, forums are actually pretty simple to run and code. Ask Zeri at Simpletons, ask TJ over at Dragon Cave, and while they'll tell you it's work, probably even hard work, they get it done, where EA has not. If people running forums for free, or running it even with donations can keep a clean forum, than a company with enough resources and money should be able to do so. That's not romanticized, it's common sense. Pardon my opinion, but judging by your responses, you seem to lack that.
    Joolster wrote:
    I entirely agree with Num that the Internet is a dangerous place. You're slightly delusional and far too optimistic if you think that all child unsuitable content has a warning disclaimer because that certainly isn't true. Hell, I'm old enough to know about the birds and the bees and don't visit naughty sites so they're definitely not lodged in my cookies somewhere for the spyware to bombard me with equal advertisement but I still get those pop-ups with borderline explicit images and suggestive text, linked to innocent sites containing films and shows. Or the famed "Hot singles looking for a fun date near you!" ads plastered all over the normal website main pages. If you want to rid even the slightest chance of your child being exposed to such material then you shouldn't let them use the Internet in the first place. It'd be great if everyone on the Internet cared about the youth and their innocence but sadly hardly anyone does as long as it brings them $$$.

Ah, but I never said that every internet website has it, so you can save the insults for someone else. I said that they should, not that they do. Please read my post next time before trying to accuse me of something. It looks like you are the one now being dramatic, as all I'm suggesting is this website, and this website alone, not every single piece of internet out there should have disclosure. We're talking about this website, please stay on the subject.
    Joolster wrote:

I agree.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited January 2012
    It would seem you've encountered one of the lowest & most common forms of troll breeds.

The Vulgar Troll:
    These, the crudest of all trolls, make no attempt to hide their species. Often, they make racist comments, or they may post **** and other spam. Vulgars usually confine their comments merely to primitive, profane, off-topic observations. When you log into the Really Profound Serious Philosophical Discussions board and see the post, "I smell my farts," you've spotted the Vulgar Troll. Other species of troll sometimes revert to this form when cornered.

Please note that the best way to handle a troll is to completely and utterly ignore them. It's 2012; this should be known by now. You respond; you lose.

this isn't a commen troll, try reading what this is about.

death threats and the like send to people.
    Ignoring for 1 year havn't worked! it work on your normal troll, but this isn't really a troll it's a stalker a potential murder.

Please read what Bluebell and AE wrott they do it so much better than me.
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    sereia8sereia8 Posts: 2,333 New Member
    edited January 2012
    God, you simmers overreact too much. My kids are 5 and 6, both boys, they know what a pe/nis looks like and they know what breasts look like because they won't leave me alone for 5 minutes to take a shower. If they saw the she male pictures, they'd just giggle and laugh because they are kids. I am thinking Sesert34 could have done so much worse (goat/se and mr. hands anyone?). Oh my God. My kid saw a naked body. The horror. Get lives.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    There might be a reason to fuss if actual sex was involved but he was posting soft core **** and everyone acts crazy. I am just saying it could be sooo sooo much worse.
  • Options
    PsychoMasterXPsychoMasterX Posts: 2,553 New Member
    edited January 2012

yeah because ea is known for reading them right
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    sereia8 wrote:
    There might be a reason to fuss if actual sex was involved but he was posting soft core **** and everyone acts crazy. I am just saying it could be sooo sooo much worse.

I'm sorry, I'm just completely speechless. My fingers absolutely refuse to make a proper response at the amount of ignorance I have just witnessed.

Okay, I'm going to try anyway.

This is, once again, not just about the images on the website (and I'm sorry, but what you choose for your kids is not necessarily what someone else will choose for theirs. Not everyone parents the exactly same way, and I'm sorry, if I had two kids, they wouldn't be seeing p.ornography, no matter which type. That's how I would choose to parent, just to give you an example of two differing parenting techniques) but about a year's worth of harassment and death threats as well.

It just blows my mind how people who claim to not care waste so much time telling others how to deal with it. A bit counterproductive, no?
  • Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited January 2012
    sereia8 wrote:

There have been actual sex pictures. Do you have any clue as to what you are talking about? No, thought not.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    sereia8 wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm just completely speechless. My fingers absolutely refuse to make a proper response at the amount of ignorance I have just witnessed.

This is, once again, not just about the images on the website (and I'm sorry, but what you choose for your kids is not necessarily what someone else will choose for theirs. Not everyone parents the exactly same way, and I'm sorry, if I had two kids, they wouldn't be seeing p.ornography, no matter which type. That's how I would choose to parent, just to give you an example of two differing parenting techniques) but about a year's worth of harassment and death threats as well.

It just blows my mind how people who claim to not care waste so much time telling others how to deal with it. A bit counterproductive, no?

Yeah, my sons see their own 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and their father's, that is so horrible? It's not sexual, it's him walking across the room after getting out of bed to take a shower. Is that p/orn? :roll:

So I need to feel bad because my kids go into the bathroom when I am showering (and see my breasts) or whenever they use the bathroom in any way (they see their 🐸🐸🐸🐸) or if they see the ***** of their father while he takes a shower? I'm not getting the point. I did not show the she male pictures to my kids because... I'm not a 🐸🐸🐸🐸. I am sure if they did stumble across such they would just giggle and wonder why girl parts are on a man. Just be glad you did not get GRAPHIC spam. Be glad 4chan isn't here right now to bring the goods. Whatever. This brings me to the next point:

**********. I am not even talking about Sesert here. So you are a typical idiot parent who lets your kid (ages 9-15 and yes I had a friend request from a 9 year old) here on the forums. Spreading soft core p/orn here should be the last of your worries as a parent. You should be more worried about stalkers, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (they are the silent ones slithering into your child's life like a snake), and worse trolls. I would not let my child on a forum that has such an abundance of people 30+ years old but I guess that is just me.

Just wait and see how long it is before EA allows no pictures from anyone on this forum.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited January 2012
    sereia8 wrote:

You think they're softcore? :shock: What do you constitute as hardcore? Actually, I don't want to know. I would put them in pretty much the same category as the other 2 things you've mentioned (yes, I've seen those too).

Edit - Did you actually see ALL of the pictures posted? No one thinks it's wrong that your kids see their parents naked.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    DarkMirage wrote:
    sereia8 wrote:

There have been actual sex pictures. Do you have any clue as to what you are talking about? No, thought not.

I wouldn't expect a conservative to feel any less. Narrow minded as usual. Just be glad you don't have goat/se or anything really hardcore to trouble you. I still cannot look at that stuff, ugh.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    sereia8 wrote:

You think they're softcore? :shock: What do you constitute as hardcore? Actually, I don't want to know. I would put them in pretty much the same category as the other 2 things you've mentioned (yes, I've seen those too).

Someone just being naked is soft core. If there is actual sex, it becomes hard core.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    sereia8 wrote:
    sereia8 wrote:

Yeah, my sons see their own 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and their father's, that is so horrible? It's not sexual, it's him walking across the room after getting out of bed to take a shower. Is that p/orn? :roll:

So I need to feel bad because my kids go into the bathroom when I am showering (and see my breasts) or whenever they use the bathroom in any way (they see their 🐸🐸🐸🐸) or if they see the ***** of their father while he takes a shower? I'm not getting the point. I did not show the she male pictures to my kids because... I'm not a 🐸🐸🐸🐸. I am sure if they did stumble across such they would just giggle and wonder why girl parts are on a man. Just be glad you did not get GRAPHIC spam. Be glad 4chan isn't here right now to bring the goods. Whatever. This brings me to the next point:

**********. I am not even talking about Sesert here. So you are a typical idiot parent who lets your kid (ages 9-15 and yes I had a friend request from a 9 year old) here on the forums. Spreading soft core p/orn here should be the last of your worries as a parent. You should be more worried about stalkers, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (they are the silent ones slithering into your child's life like a snake), and worse trolls. I would not let my child on a forum that has such an abundance of people 30+ years old but I guess that is just me.

Just wait and see how long it is before EA allows no pictures from anyone on this forum.

I'm not talking about what you or your husband show in your own house. I'm talking, once again, about this website period, not you. Of course kids will see your stuff at some point in their life, and that's on you to explain it to them, just like it's on you to explain what they see on the internet. We are not telling you to do anything, in fact, the situation is reversed. You are telling other people how they should and shouldn't react, which is, quite frankly, not your place. You have kids, great. Be a mom to them, don't be a mom to people who you don't have maternal custody of.

Secondly, I don't have kids, I only know how I would raise them if I did. That's it, all it is, is a difference of opinion. Once again, there has been more than just soft **** here. Pretty hardcore stuff, but I guess you must have missed it.

And once again, for someone who claims for it to not be a big deal, you're certainly here making a big deal. I'm just making an observation, that's all.
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited January 2012
    I don't know what we are talking about here and I have been a long time simmer and have not ever seen anything like your talkin about and im a 34 year old adult.

Hey West Bend, fellow Wisconsinite here--New London! :)
    Long live the new Doctor!