Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much more of Sims 4 can your computer take?

Comments

• Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited August 2023
    New PC - mods - runs fine
    FPS and lag issues in Sims 4 are largely the game itself. Not the PC.

In some cases, it could be the PC, but the optimization is done poorly. That was the same issue with Sims 3. Of course, at least Sims 3 had open world and create a style to blame... what's Sims 4's excuse? lol
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,130 Member
    Old PC - mods - runs fine
    Since I deleted all of my Build/Buy, CAS CC, and several mods, my game runs mostly ok. I own everything with the exception of kits (Desert Luxe was free so I have that one), Star Wars, and Horse Ranch.

I'm not sure how much more my computer can take but my Sims wishlist is pretty much fulfilled at this point. Growing Together was the last must-have I had. I'm being more selective with Horse Ranch because there isn't much that interests me. I'll wait for a sale, even if it doesn't come for another year.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member
    How old do you consider old for a pc? My computer is an Acer Aspire TC-885 pc intel core i5-9400 with a GeForce GTX 1050ti. Its definitely not a gaming pc. I think it's about 3 years old? It runs most games pretty decently however when it comes to the sims 4, it does seem to heat up a bit?
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    CareyEve36 wrote: »
    How old do you consider old for a pc? My computer is an Acer Aspire TC-885 pc intel core i5-9400 with a GeForce GTX 1050ti. Its definitely not a gaming pc. I think it's about 3 years old? It runs most games pretty decently however when it comes to the sims 4, it does seem to heat up a bit?

That would count as newer :) the poll lists 5 years and under as new
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    I am still running windows 8.1 and my graphics card can't run most newer games, so I need to upgrade to a new computer sometime soon, but I can still run Sims 4 with no issues.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,016 Member
    something else - let us know in the comments below
    My PC goes in the middle if talking about age, high end(ish) if spects. Lots of mods and cc and runs just great.

I get the occasional FPS drops, but I was assuming that has nothing to do with my PC, going to settings and back usually fixes that.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    I've had my laptop a couple of weeks now. I originally purchased a G16 a month ago but returned it because I couldn't get used to not having the number pad.

Not many mods. 1.30 GB. 851files. UI Cheats, Pose Player, a few small miscellaneous mods, furniture, clothing, and shoes. No hairs, makeup, or other genetic CC.

Dell G15 5530.
    13th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-13650HX
    Windows 11 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060, 8 GB GDDR6
    16 GB DDR5 RAM
    1 TB SSD
    15.6-in. display Full HD (1920X1080) 360Hz

Yeah, I got one a new one and when I got mine I noticed it did not have a separate number pad and cursed myself for overlooking that part. But I do not game on it thank goodness and it is nice though. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I have multiple systems and the oldest system is from 2019 and they have no problems running Sims 4 with all the packs and I never use mods.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,107 Member
    edited August 2023
    I got this laptop in 2021 and with every expansion pack, some game packs and stuff packs, MCCC and some CC Content it still runs smoothly.
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    New PC - no mods - at/over the limit
    10 ep / 7 gp / 16 sp / 1 kit

PC not even a year old, 16gb ram, rtx 3060, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

With very minimal mods (ui extension and couple of QoL mods, sometimes mccc but I do not enable story progression.) and all my packs installed I can feel the fps drops and it never stays at 60fps (that's on ultra). If I want solid 60fps I have to go no mods, move out my tray folder and disable a bunch of packs. I used to think it was my previous computers fault but nah, game's bloated. This is like sims 3 all over again.
  • Options
    simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    New PC - no mods - runs fine
    I have what I think is an up to date gaming laptop. Bought it last year and my niece got the same the year before. Anyways, it runs the game well I feel, all I use the laptop for is a bit of web browsing, TS4 and TPH. I do worry though that it will start to struggle as time goes on. I do already limit what packs/eps etc I do install because of this fear lol. No mods just pure vanilla.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 740 Member
    Ninoosim wrote: »
    This is like sims 3 all over again.

Before I added Horse Ranch, Sims 4 ran smoother than Sims 3. Now they are the same.

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    I have a gaming computer, SkyTech that is about 6 years old with 1 TB hard drive, 16 GB Ram, 3.1 mHz, Nvidia GTX 1060, all eps, all game packs and all but a few kits and so far, so good. I am really surprised at all the DLC, along with about 4 GB mods/cc folder, including many LittleMsSam mods, MCC, and lots of great cc. The only downside to this rig is it has no wifi capability. :# Very surprised that in this day and age they really build expensive computers without wifi. Lesson well learned.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 763 Member
    Old PC - no mods - runs fine
    I think I got my PC about six years ago. I had help from the community in picking it out. I currently play completely vanilla but I have used mods before. I have all EP, GP, SP except for Star Wars and horse ranch. Also have about half of the kits. My game runs perfectly fine and can handle more.
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    Currently not playing with mods but I have all of the DLC and when I turn mods on, I don’t have any issues on my not quite 2yr old MSI GS76. The only issue is that the fan can be loud (I say it’s asthmatic like me lol) but I knew that going in. I’m sure it can handle quite a bit more content. I usually just upgrade my laptop when I get bored of my old one but I’m thinking about building a desktop next summer as a birthday gift to myself but I can’t commit unless I can find the my vision of the perfect chair (a heated recliner/bed/massage pillowy soft yet supportive chair with wheels) to support my long gaming sessions.
  • Options
    amydunneamydunne Posts: 25 Member
    I've had my laptop for a few months! Minimal mods, no cc, almost all DLC except a few kits. Everything runs smooth on the highest settings.

HP - Victus 15.6"
    Intel Core i7-12650H
    16GB Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti
    512GB SSD
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,141 Member
    Just last week I FINALLY got my new CPU tower box after 3 years of saving. I was told it's like a no name brand of Alien/Monster called Acer.
    It has Windows 11 with the latest update of NVIDIA. It's Memory is HDD 512 GB & SSD 12 GB.
    After I set it up & familiar myself with Windows 11. I installed my Steam along with my Civilization VI & my Disney Dreamlight games 1st because I so missed them the most due to the fact that I had to uninstall them in my old CPU tower box. Anyways after I did that, I installed my EA App & Sims 4.
    Then, I decided to play my Civilization VI starting with my very favorite Ruler, Cleopatra. After that I went into my Disney Dreamlight & it remembered my level 10. Anyways, the next day I decided to get back into my Sims 4. However, I forgot to copy/paste my Save & Tray from my One Touch USB. It took me awhile to find out where the heck my document was because it's Windows 11 not 10. But, thank goodness I found it & put my Sims 4 Save & Tray into documents. And was able to play my old Game Saves.
    Now all I want is a new Graphics Monitor. My old one still works but it just doesn't seem to look quite right.
    PS: My computer isn't mute anymore. It has sound again, yipee. <3B):p;)
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    New PC - no mods - runs fine
    I bought this laptop, a Lenovo, and while I'm not happy with it at all and wish I'd never bought it, it runs TS4 just fine and I have every pack and kit. I don't do CC and, when they work, the only mods I do use are T.O.O.L. and BBB. Right now neither are working on this computer for some reason...but whatever, I don't really mind much. I can get it to sorta work if I really need it for something.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 722 Member
    I chose other, because I haven't even come close to maxing out the performance of my computer, but that still doesn't mean I don't need mods to ensure my Sims game runs properly, or that I will just buy packs for the sake of buying them.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    My pc runs fine. My new-ish laptop, however, is at its limit. I don't think the auto-thermostat mod is to blame, and that's all I have. I sit at my pc all day to work, so I don't want to sit on it all night to play. I generally don't play during the week anymore, I just don't have the patience.

When I started up Sims 3, I'd find something to do while the game loaded. That's what I do with the Sims 4 startup, and all the loading screens. People complained about how long 3 took to start up, but it was one 15-minute investment, instead of 5-10 minutes every time you want to visit a different lot.

4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Ninoosim wrote: »
    10 ep / 7 gp / 16 sp / 1 kit

PC not even a year old, 16gb ram, rtx 3060, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

With very minimal mods (ui extension and couple of QoL mods, sometimes mccc but I do not enable story progression.) and all my packs installed I can feel the fps drops and it never stays at 60fps (that's on ultra). If I want solid 60fps I have to go no mods, move out my tray folder and disable a bunch of packs. I used to think it was my previous computers fault but nah, game's bloated. This is like sims 3 all over again.

Of course, the Sims 3 was bloated, and Sims 4 is catching up because of how both are engineered and coded. the Sims series has multiple programs underneath one main program and it has to tweaked on a timely basis and must stay ahead of the bugs that will occur and for me EA/Maxis has a hard time doing that. However, with Sims 3 I had the most fun because of the features it offered me, and my systems was capable of keeping up even with the bugs expect one EP which was a pain for me due to EA/Maxis coding which was the last EP and could have fixed it with mods, but I do not use them.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Machine is in the border zone between old and new though it has an i7 processor and good undated graphics. Game generally runs well unless have been at it for a few hours. At that point it begins to drag a bit and sims sometimes stop part way through an animation. Not sure if that is a computer issue or due to the 7/18 update that sneaked in. Had no issues at all until then.
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Old PC - no mods - at/over the limit
    I am running out of hard drive space so no more packs unless it is something I really want. I'm not sure if poor performance is caused by the age of the computer or bugs. Probably a combination of the two. Yesterday I couldn't get rid of dirty plates, today it was fine. Bug or old computer? I bought it about 6 months before sims 4 came out.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 559 Member
    I play on a computer I bought as a refurb 8 years ago. Runs like magic, but then I don't own quite a bit of the DLC, mostly due to preference. I know my play style and I don't waste money or bytes on content I'm unlikely to use.

7EP, 7GP, 12SP, 2 kits
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    When I started up Sims 3, I'd find something to do while the game loaded. That's what I do with the Sims 4 startup, and all the loading screens. People complained about how long 3 took to start up, but it was one 15-minute investment, instead of 5-10 minutes every time you want to visit a different lot.

@phantasmkiss It always took me a few minutes to load up the Sims 3 too, but I think 5 minutes is an extremely long time to wait while changing lots in the Sims 4. I think it should be under a minute/around a minute on most machines.