May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much more of Sims 4 can your computer take?

Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
After 9 years of Sims 4 and lots of DLC - how much more of Sims 4 can your computer take?

I see this a lot here on the forums that some Simmers are already deciding which DLC to choose or to ditch because their computers are at (or already over) the edge.

What about your system?
Is your computer old but runs fine? Or newer and it's at its limits?
(Not sure where to draw the line where a computer counts as old, I think we can count a computer under 5 years old as 'newer' since the game is 9 years old(?))
Do you use mods that maybe influence the performance?

EDIT:
Thank you all for participating!

I did the same poll on my tumblr. It ran one week and now the results are here.
It's almost the same as here. Most people do not have any problems and could handle more DLC.

411a4ab41927c17136db127ebd0fd3fa316b369f.jpg

cc1913fd7025143233b3183131615d73c0cefb4a.jpg

I can only add up to ten poll options but it would be interesting how many DLC you own.
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
Post edited by Lenny_Ogg on

How much more of Sims 4 can your computer take? 106 votes

Old PC - no mods - runs fine
9%
crocobauraIcewolfMVWdeZTLenny_OggSheriSim57musteniEvilyn_1007thatsnotswegSimskristaIsharell 10 votes
Old PC - mods - runs fine
16%
bshag4lvSara1010PSimmervillesuetoopTheSpotted_Celanorbretonkokoro80JestTrugoodcakebaker62SimplyJenSweetieWright_84FreddyFox1234EnkiSchmidtxxxsillysimsgrassharpryouma17Umbreon12shobontea 18 votes
Old PC - no mods - at/over the limit
0%
suzanna13 1 vote
Old PC - mods - at/over the limit
0%
Rouensims 1 vote
New PC - no mods - runs fine
7%
rudolphalisamwittsimlish1BoergeAarg61g01denswanLizzychicagokiwi84skip 8 votes
New PC - mods - runs fine
48%
lori171957Brd709alexspoom13Colorist40JueJueIsb917haneulAnmirlasimgirl1010freindlylolloubylouloukemoweryBariSaxymitchiebanjogreydonnLustianiciahellohannah2spice3Fairy_HappyLoriTSp 51 votes
New PC - no mods - at/over the limit
2%
NinoosimSERVERFRAKatofhyrule12 3 votes
New PC - mods - at/over the limit
1%
plumboy23LeucosiaX 2 votes
something else - let us know in the comments below
11%
GoldmoldarfriendlysimmersOldeseadoggeAtreya33Lady_BalloraKimmerEllupelluelluAaleynSanniSilliGrimlyFiendishEleriPandoraTO 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited August 2023
    I still play on an old Windows 7 computer with all DLC (minus one kit) and without mods/cc.
    It runs smooth and fast on highest settings.
    Post edited by Lenny_Ogg on
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,057 Member
    edited August 2023
    My computer is not all that old
    (less than 4 years since I was on forums before I got this computer)

but I'm out of RAM and I don't want to compromise on graphics and such to use less RAM so currently no more :sweat_smile:

planning on getting more RAM soon tm
    (if i could just get stuff done really)

so hopefully that fixes my problems
    oh also, no mods or cc.
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 461 Member
    2016 MacBook Pro, mods, runs fine

Runs fine meaning it’s not laggy. BUT… it also runs hot. I’ve burned through two batteries since I started playing in 2020. It’s time to replace the second one, actually.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,414 Member
    edited August 2023
    Is fivish years old?

Edit: Nevermind, I think my computer is actually 8 soon.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,091 Member
    I've had my laptop a couple of weeks now. I originally purchased a G16 a month ago but returned it because I couldn't get used to not having the number pad.

Not many mods. 1.30 GB. 851files. UI Cheats, Pose Player, a few small miscellaneous mods, furniture, clothing, and shoes. No hairs, makeup, or other genetic CC.

Dell G15 5530.
    13th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-13650HX
    Windows 11 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060, 8 GB GDDR6
    16 GB DDR5 RAM
    1 TB SSD
    15.6-in. display Full HD (1920X1080) 360Hz
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,560 Member
    my curent pc runs find but in term of hard drive space i am at my limit to the point that i need to upgrade by current pc to a larger hard drive 12 tb space extra ram and new graphic card
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited August 2023
    My PC is about 4 years old (i9-9900/32 GB ram/2080 Ti/SSD) and the game runs fine with 21 GBs of mods/CC, maxed settings, and most packs (I don't have most kits and 2 game packs). I play on a 64x64 lot with tons of objects and 5-8 Sims and have been fortunate enough not to have any major issues or lag. I think everything works okay on my laptop too (M1 Mac), but I'm not sure.

I also bought a new PC (i9-13900k/64 GB ram/4090/SSD) that's supposed to arrive in a few weeks, so I am lucky and I can handle a lot more.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,091 Member
    @haneul congrats on the new computer! That's a beast!
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 790 Member
    My laptop is a year old,but it only has 118 GB,and it's starting to struggle with the packs. I'm planning on getting a 1TB laptop soon,and I'll be able to add more Sims 4 packs.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I upgraded in late May. I'd been promising myself a decent upgrade for ages, so I went the whole hog.
    It runs the Sims 4 really nicely even at native 3840 x 2160 screen resolution, with all quality settings maxed. I use some CC for skins, clothes and hairs, and a couple of script mods, but I don't have all the packs - I'm not interested in several of them.
    System is an i9-13900K, 64GB RAM, 4070 RTX, Audigy soundcard, SSD boot drive, M.2 Games drive, and I transferred in my older SSD and mechanical archive drives from my old Win7 PC. Dual screen setup, both 3840 x 2160 32" screens. Now if only Microsoft would extract the digit and fix Windows 11...
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,392 Member
    I have a gaming laptop, about 1,5 years old, so it's not new but not old either.
    I don't use mods or CC, my game is 100% vanilla.

ASUS TUF GAMING 17 FX706 17,3"
    WIndows 10 Home
    Intel® Core™ i5-11400H processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti
    16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1024 GB SSD

It runs just fine now, but I've had to lower the graphics from ultra to high recently because it started to lag. :/
    I don't want Sims 4 to fry my laptop and I'd rather play with lower graphics than spend any more money for yet another new one. Desktop PC is not an option for me, it's either laptop or bye bye Sims, sadly.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,700 Member
    I have an upgraded 2 year old Dell Latitude with dedicated NVIDIA graphics, Intel i7 processor and a bunch of RAM and storage. It’s fine for light gaming. I do not own all packs, but don’t really want them all, anyway. A band pack is the only thing I’m really waiting on. I run the game on high/ultra custom settings to maximize performance. I do use cc and mods, but I’m not loaded up on them. A vanilla game runs much better, but I tolerate a little more load time to get the game I want.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,741 Member
    I upgraded my PC about a year ago with a new CPU, Motherboard, Hard Drive and more RAM and two and and half year ago I upgraded my graphics card... I have a Desktop PC with an i9-12900K CPU (3.20GHz), 64GB RAM, GTX3080OC Graphics Card (10GB), the game is installed on an NVME M.2. I have all packs except the Horse Ranch Pack, and I have 10 kits and 10GB of mods.

The Sims 4 runs well enough... I get occasional frame drops which I don't think can be avoided. When I upgraded my computer the new graphics card helped a little with the framerate (but not much), the cpu helped with having more objects and sims (way more than 20) on a lot but the biggest improvement was upgrading to an NVME M.2 which reduced my loading times more than half of what they used to be on my SSD.

But I noticed a much better increase in performance on newer games who can use features like DLSS.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,106 Member
    edited August 2023
    New PC - no mods - runs fine
    I have an M1 Macbook Air that I bought new late in 2020, so it's not quite 3 years old. Runs great, no problems. I own all of the EP's except one and a lot of other packs, definitely more than half.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    It's been a while since I last checked but I think my desktop is about 6 years old. Second computer I built with my husband. It was built with Sims in mind and other games at the time. No problems running Sims & mods w/ almost all DLC (missing a kit). Originally I had a GTX 1070 that blew up playing another game. As much as I want to gut this PC and start new, I feel super grateful to have a computer right now.
    i7-7700K • 16GB • RTX 3060
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,359 Member
    My computer is built for CG graphics rendering, so my game runs fine, but hot. My husband and I are going to do a cleaning tomorrow in hopes we can bring the tempurature down.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,473 Member
    My Laptop is relatively new but it is mid range, not a gaming laptop. The game runs smoothly but loading screens can take 30 seconds. I have most of the bigger DLC and a few kits, and a few mods. My laptop can take a few more, but depending on how long the sims 4 continues I might have to choose which EP to add in a few years.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 553 Member
    I’ve got a 2018 Mac Mini which technically just about falls within the ‘new’ category but I really don’t think it belongs there. It’s primarily my work computer so gaming is a bonus. I would say it runs fine. But I don’t have all the packs (I have all EPs except Horse Ranch and more than half of the GPS and SPs), which maybe helps, but I’m certainly hoping to be able to add more and I’m not making decisions about what to get based on whether my Mac can handle it. I also have just one mod. The only thing is, I recently had to move my graphics settings down to medium. I’d previously had them on high for a long time, then I had to start playing in window mode to reduce lag, but then my window was having to get so small it got silly. So now I’m on medium but with full screen again, which is actually great :)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,698 Member
    Runs fine means that I'm fine with some lagging at times ;) Smaller lots are fine on both the computer and me.

I have most packs except stuff & kits. Just one heavy mod, but a few smaller that rarely needs updating.
    Tons of CC and I play just one huge save which has been growing since 2014.
    Tech settings are satisfying, but I know it would help lowering viewing distance when playing the larger lots (*looking at you, royal palace*).
    Computer is very low-end with Win 8.1. Was very nervous to add the most recent packs, but it actually feels like the game runs better!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited August 2023
    I play on a gaming desktop with a Core i7, RTX 2060 graphics card, nvme SSD, and 32 GB of RAM---TS4 doesn't even make it breathe hard. I also have every major pack, along with one mod
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,912 Member
    edited August 2023
    My computer is a newer gaming PC. I have all the EP, most GP and SP a few kits and some mods and one CC item.

Computer is running like Usain Bolt with no signs of fatigue. Probably could handle 5 or 6 more EPs.

My computer is also a computer I use for coding, Photoshopping and graphic art so this game is nothing but a blip on it's specs and performance.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 758 Member
    New PC - no mods - at/over the limit
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I have a gaming laptop, about 1,5 years old, so it's not new but not old either.
    I don't use mods or CC, my game is 100% vanilla.

ASUS TUF GAMING 17 FX706 17,3"
    WIndows 10 Home
    Intel® Core™ i5-11400H processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti
    16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1024 GB SSD

It runs just fine now, but I've had to lower the graphics from ultra to high recently because it started to lag. :/
    I don't want Sims 4 to fry my laptop and I'd rather play with lower graphics than spend any more money for yet another new one. Desktop PC is not an option for me, it's either laptop or bye bye Sims, sadly.

I have this same laptop but with even more RAM and storage. I am also 100% vanilla. I noticed some new lag just before Horse Ranch was released. The first Windows update in July did not go well, and each update after that made things worse. I reinstalled Windows and it has helped, but adding Horse Ranch has put me over my limit, and I am having to experiment with lower settings.

Everyone wanted horses. We have horses, but some of us are paying for it. I really love the CAS and build/buy items in Horse Ranch and Snowy Escape, but both these worlds are heavy. I may have to choose just one of these two worlds, or delete several other packs.

• Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    I built my PC for The Sims 4 in 2014 and with the exception of starting the game up (which still takes less than 3 mins), it runs very well. My mods folder is a little less than 12 GB and it's all CC, no major mods to the game like MCCC or anything like that.
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 134 Member
    New PC - mods - at/over the limit
    I chose the wrong answer, I have a new pc and it runs like a dream but I only use DLC I really need in my game (14 betwen Exp, Game and Stuff) and a few fix mods
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Computer is approx 4 years old (not sure I just got it recently as it was passed down to me by a relative).

Game runs great for me and I use mods but I only use about 3-5 mods (mccc, foster home, and 2-3 others), I don't have any cc, and I don't have all the packs (I have most packs, but not vampires, werewolves, horses, star wars, paranormal, or wedding and I only have 1 or 2 of the many kits)