Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stories Index πŸ“š - Q&A, feedback, chat

Β«1
Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
EDIT:

This is the Q&A, feedback, chat of the Stories Index πŸ“š

The Story Index sadly doesn't get updated anymore, so maybe we could create a new one?
Is there a better way than leaving this up to one person here in the forum? (I fear not?)
Perhaps make two or three 'reserved' posts under the first index post so other persons can proceed if the OP leaves?
If you have any ideas, let us know.

I'd like to have an story index only for still ongoing and completed stories.
The other ones are already covered up in the abandoned post.
Maybe with a picture (in a certain size to not make it messy) and a link to the story post.
The following example is 200x135

example link to the story
15ad0d40e0d52651cf52dbacde811295cf668573.jpg
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
Post edited by Lenny_Ogg on

Comments

• Options
    hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    Yeah absolutely! I think we’re lacking something like this - at the moment you depend on a thread being updated to find a story, so as a result stories that are updated less frequently get buried a bit.
    s54gWQ5.png
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,042 Member
    edited July 2023
    How about common thread,

NO chatting or extra posts for bumps.

Each storyteller have their own post what they can update with links or like that? That way not depended on OP or not too similar than other that kind of threads?

Just my 2 pennies.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    that's a good idea and we are independent! and there are not that many stories compared to legacies and challenges, so it won't be overcrowded
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited July 2023
    This sounds like an idea since we already have plenty of storytelling chat threads plus the Writer’s Lounge which is for updates plus chatter. It’d be easier to have the active stories in one place. Saves people having to dig through the various threads if they are specifically looking for a certain genre or type or length etc. and would be cool to have them all in one place. And having the pics will help as well as maybe a short description of the story or something. Also a nice gathering of stuff that’s finished or in process so you don’t end up getting stuck into a story that might be abandoned or something.

I also think everyone having 1 post to update with latest links etc. is a good idea like what Ellupelluellu said.
    EDIT: To get it pinned to the top of the Creative Corner like the old 'stories and legacies gateway' post I guess we'd have to message a mod maybe? IDK?
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,754 Member
    Sure, that sounds great! So we'll have one person creating a thread, and then each person can make a post with their own story, the genre and whether or not it's finished/ongoing/abandoned? And then we'll message the mods to ask if it can be pinned to the top of the Creative Corner forum. Sounds like a plan 😁

I don't mind kicking things off, if you guys are okay with that? πŸ€”
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @_sims_Yimi
    I would say no abandoned stories, they are already in the other story list
    I think it's polite to let the OP 'kick things off' ;)

and we should think about what should be written in the first post

sth like:
    stories only
    only one post , no chatting
    no legacies/challenges
    and for fairness reasons only one image and not too big?
    and the post not too long so it's easy to scroll through
    and along with certain informations to easily find what kind of story you are looking for
    (should there be a form for this? story title: , genre: , description/ what is the story about. , triggers: .....
    what else?

and what should the title of the thread be?
    'stories index'?
    Post edited by Lenny_Ogg on
  • Options
    AppletiniAppletini Posts: 18 Member
    This sounds like a really good idea! I get slightly overwhelmed with the abundance of all stories and posts...
    I remember several years ago (I lost my login etc to the forums so hence I have to restart my membership here...) there were a Story Index on a different platform where stories for Sims 4 and Sims 3 were kept. Anyone remember what it was called and when it disappeared?
  • Options

@Appletini there is a gameplay/story masterlist on googledoc but it's also mostly legacies/challenges and only a few stories at the end of the list.
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,554 Member
    Story title
    Author
    Link to site
    Picture
    Synopsis of the story
    Genre tags: Realistic, fantasy, science-fiction, horror, historical, drama, mystery, comedy, comedy-drama, romance, political.
    Family friendly rating: G, PG, Mature, Adult.

eg.
    Sim 66
    Kellogg J Kellogg
    www.blogger.com/Sim66
    [insert picture here]
    A tale of life in Sim City in the 1960s (and you can be as brief or detailed as necessary)
    Comedy-drama, historical
    PG
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @Lenny_Ogg

Sure, go for it! No rudeness intended. That list that @Kellogg_J_Kellogg provided should work nicely as a base :mrgreen: it'll be good to see a list of active stories again. Makes it much easier to find them 😊
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @Lenny_Ogg , Yimi was just trying to help. She wasn’t being rude. It’s not rude to offer to help somebody else out

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg That looks good. Succinct enough to keep attention, detailed enough to give people an idea of what they’re getting into.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy @_sims_Yimi i did not say it was rude. i said it would be polite and added a ;) in case someone thinks i think it's rude
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,316 Member
    This sounds like a really good idea! I get slightly overwhelmed with the abundance of all stories and posts...
    I remember several years ago (I lost my login etc to the forums so hence I have to restart my membership here...) there were a Story Index on a different platform where stories for Sims 4 and Sims 3 were kept. Anyone remember what it was called and when it disappeared?

@Appletini, The thread that you are thinking of was created by @mastressalita when TS3 and TS4 shared the same Stories and Legacies forum until the SimsGuru's that was still here back in May 2017 had decided to give TS3 and TS4 their own sections as there was a lot of TS3 players who didn't want their stories to share the same forum section as TS4. The TS3 players got tired of going through pages after pages of TS4 stories to find TS3 stories that they were interested in, so like I'd said, TS3 and TS4 stories got their own sections which meant that any TS4 stories that was left in the newly renamed The Sims 3 Stories and Legacies section got weeded out by forum members with the help of a SimsGuru and moved over to the newly formed The Sims 4 Challenges, Stories and Legacies section. So Mastressalita then decided to go off site to create the Stories and Legacies Gateway over on WordPress as she didn't want to have to take care of 2 different threads but then she closed that down over on WordPress. And eventually the thread got unpinned from the Sims 3 Stories and Legacies page while the one that she created for TS4 is still pinned up top on the page of The Sims 4 Challenges, Stories and Legacies with the last posting from April 15th.

But this is the thread that she had over in The Sims 3 section when it was just called Stories and Legacies or something like that.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/861629/the-stories-and-legacies-index-gateway/p1
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ok, by using your input, I started the post πŸ‘‰ here
    please check if I forgot sth or sth is odd and let me know
    If it's ok, we can start to feature our stories πŸ“š
    And I sent an ask to πŸ‘‰ EA_Abril to pin it at the top of the page.
  • Options
    Hm. What about narrative legacies and challenges that are written as a story? There's multiple people on the forums that have made a whole story out of the challenge that they're playing, or a story that spans multiple generations πŸ€” I think those should be allowed, no?
    J6AKQqX.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,027 Member
    edited July 2023
    I was thinking I might just add link to
    The Book of Shallow Stories
    so its easier to find but would that be okay?

I feel its too complicated if I share my stories separately since I am kind of all over the place with them :sweat_smile:
    then again I do think that might break the active/completed rule, I'm not sure my stories are ever active or completed :lol:
    I just continue them at random times

maybe its better I don't mess with this :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options

@_sims_Yimi my intention to start the story index was, that the stories are going under between all the legacies and challenges. If you post an update for your story here it gets washed away from the first site within 3 or 4 days. And if you update your story once a month, for example, barely anyone will ever notice it. And from what I've read on stories here, the writers/story tellers put a lot of effort in their stories and it makes me a bit sad that it doesn't last in this thread.

So my opinion is to keep this thread for the few stories and highlight/appreaciate the creativity/devotion of the writers.

@Simmingal i thought about of creating sth similar like your book of shallow stories too ^^ and link it in the index then, because i have more than one story and don't want to overcrowd my post in the index, but it's also possible to use spoilers so maybe i post to the most active story in the index and put the rest under the spoiler
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @_sims_Yimi OH YEAH I didn't actually think about that, and now that raises a lot of other thoughts. That's a good point when it comes to the story-driven legacy-based stories like @HermioneSims's or @DeidreMahariel's and so on. Plus my older stories were narrative stories based on challenges and they were definitely more story than challenge. The other pinned thread at the top of the forum is the Stories and Legacies index gateway, so I think adding legacies at some point seems like a good idea since most of them, even the commentary ones, at least follow the overall story of the family.

I don't personally think stories getting buried would be too much of an issue in terms of the Story Index, since on the Stories Index we only get one post each, so there isn't going to be the same issue as the creative corner where a story might get buried by legacies that tend to get updated quicker.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Okay so could I for example post it like this?
    Title: The Book of Shallow Stories
    Author: Simmingal

Synopsis: Assortment of stories about the lives of premade sims
    Genre: Mixed
    Warnings: Death, Violence, Crime, Tragedy, Occult, Woohoo,Vlad in swimwear.

I'm afraid I don't have small picture to add though :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by Simmingal on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @Simmingal hahaha Vlad in swimwear! (but please make sure that you've read what EA_Cade wrote about keeping it family friendly. The first Story Post got deleted because of the warnings so i took them out in the other post.) I want a pic of Vlad in swimwear now 😭

i probably should take out 'horror' as a genre too
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @Simmingal hahaha Vlad in swimwear! (but please make sure that you've read what EA_Cade wrote about keeping it family friendly. The first Story Post got deleted because of the warnings so i took them out in the other post.) I want a pic of Vlad in swimwear now 😭

i probably should take out 'horror' as a genre too
    :lol: yeah I meant inside vanilla game limits ofcourse

also here, have a Vlad in swimwear, one of the many anyway
    HkJF7ei.png
    Post edited by Simmingal on
  • Options
    SqueamishNerdSqueamishNerd Posts: 24 Member
    I saw that the Story Index says "no feature stories", but that means non-fiction and news articles, and sims stories don't fall into that category.

It also says only one post per author AND one picture per author, and this makes it impossible for authors to add more than one story if they have more than one story (I do). I think it would be reasonable to either have one comment per author, and in that comment being able to add as many stories as one have, or one picture per author, but being able to add one comment per story.

I also think it should be more flexible with genres. Now it says "choose one tag", but many stories are more than one genre, and there are only 9 genres to choose from. Why not instead having authors pick any genre, not only between those 9?
    My Sims stories

The Brights:
    - Read on Bluesky
    - Read on Tumblr
    - Read on Twitter

The Original Ahriman:
    - Read on Bluesky
    - Read on Tumblr
    - Read on Twitter
  • Options
    edited January 8
    @Katrus91
    do you refer to this?
    - only feature stories here (no legacies/challenges...)

This just means that the stories index is only for stories and not for legacies and challenges

You can use spoilers to feature your other stories.

When you read through this thread you'll see that these are the terms we tried to agree on ^^'
  • Options
    SqueamishNerdSqueamishNerd Posts: 24 Member
    Oh, you mean β€œfeature” as in the verb that’s a synonym for β€œpresent” and β€œpromote”. That’s very unclear tbh πŸ˜… Especially since there’s a noun called β€œfeature story” (the one I mentioned, meaning non-fiction). Maybe we could use the word β€œpromote” instead, it’s clearer and I don’t think that it could be misunderstood.

And with spoilers I can add several pictures (one for each story)? Sorry that I’m confused

I just brought up the things as feedback, even things that have been agreed upon can be changed if enough people agree with new suggestions and feedback
    My Sims stories

The Brights:
    - Read on Bluesky
    - Read on Tumblr
    - Read on Twitter

The Original Ahriman:
    - Read on Bluesky
    - Read on Tumblr
    - Read on Twitter