Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chestnut Ridge World Discussion

Comments

• Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I'm not big on desert worlds. Having the full experience of seasons is so vital to me. I'll only ever have my sims visit this world like every other world that doesn't have seasons. I'm glad that the horses, sheep and goats aren't tied to the world.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    edited June 2023
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I'm not big on desert worlds. Having the full experience of seasons is so vital to me. I'll only ever have my sims visit this world like every other world that doesn't have seasons. I'm glad that the horses, sheep and goats aren't tied to the world.

Oasis Springs and Strangerville have seasons. It just doesn't snow... unless I'm missing something. :/
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

The worlds in the last expansions are all similar to worlds we already have.
    I really wonder why. There are so many possibilities!
    Now we get the third (if we count Del Sol Valley in - fourth) north american desert world.

d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,916 Member
    Waiting for the map is always the hardest part. It sounds like three neighborhoods, and it sounds like at least 12 (but maybe only 12) lots. I have so many ideas now, though, so it's hard to be patient and see how my ideas fit the actual world.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,084 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Waiting for the map is always the hardest part. It sounds like three neighborhoods, and it sounds like at least 12 (but maybe only 12) lots. I have so many ideas now, though, so it's hard to be patient and see how my ideas fit the actual world.

This. I don't usually like large lots but this time I'm hoping for one so I combine farming, ranching, and gardening.
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »

Oasis Springs and Strangerville have seasons. It just doesn't snow... unless I'm missing something. :/

Well, as I said, having the full experience of the seasons is most important to me. There may be some variation in the desert worlds, but it just isn't anywhere near enough.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    RPGTabbycatRPGTabbycat Posts: 48 Member
    The largest lot will probably be taken up by the horse activity center with the show jumping and barrel racing. I wish they would give us another empty 64 x 64 lot to build on. I'm so tired of small lots. They are everywhere.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,916 Member

Well, as I said, having the full experience of the seasons is most important to me. There may be some variation in the desert worlds, but it just isn't anywhere near enough.

Well, it does sometimes snow in Arizona, so hopefully instead of just having a kneejerk design of "desert= no snow," maybe it will have at least the occasional light snowfall, even if it doesn't stick. I mean, how pretty would that be in the national park area.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,457 Member

Well, it does sometimes snow in Arizona, so hopefully instead of just having a kneejerk design of "desert= no snow," maybe it will have at least the occasional light snowfall, even if it doesn't stick. I mean, how pretty would that be in the national park area.

Most probably this will be the case. It snows in Oasis Springs and Strangerville in the winter when the weather is really bad, but the snow doesn't accumulate on the ground.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I hope the lots are 16..
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »

Most probably this will be the case. It snows in Oasis Springs and Strangerville in the winter when the weather is really bad, but the snow doesn't accumulate on the ground.

ah ok I wasn't sure if it did or not. good to know! :smile:

I use a weather mod that fine tunes weather to match each world. It snowed once for me in Oasis Springs which I was excited to see but it was super glitchy looking. I assumed EA never intended for snow in OS and it was the mod making it possible.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,998 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    To me, Oasis Springs feels like Palm Springs. Chestnut Ridge feels more like Montana or Wyoming. I don't think it's accurate to label it as just another "desert" world, at least from what we've seen so far.
    MichelleW wrote: »
    Tell me why this is an EP and not a GP? I'm not a horse enthusiast, this seems very niche for an EP. If the world is amazing I will buy it at launch, otherwise I will probably wait for a sale so I'm paying something closer to a GP.
    Almost all the EP's are niche though. EP vs. GP is determined by how much is in the pack, not the theme.
    Too funny, I have always felt that Oasis Springs was like Palm Springs too, I mostly have community lots there.
  • Options

That would be really cool to see. Texas has had some pretty crazy winters the last few years. It was wild seeing beaches I've been to covered in snow.
  • Options
    Well, having grown up in a desert town where it rarely rained, and only once or twice in a lifetime snows, the constant rain and snow in some of the towns in sims 4 tends to drive me and my sims crazy, lol. The desert I grew up in was an upper desert where it was quite cool with nice breezes in the summer, and quite cold in the winter, but not a lot of precipitation….
  • Options

Actually, up by Flagstaff it snows a lot in the winter! Or at least it did when I was younger and we drove through there on the way to my Grandparents. There are beautiful pine tree’s up there too. It does just depend on what part of Arizona you are in.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Mt Komorebi has 14 lots and 4 people were collaborating with EA so I guess that this time we have the same amount of lots. However I have my fingers crossed for more. Especially after San Sequoia disappointment.
  • Options
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Well, having grown up in a desert town where it rarely rained, and only once or twice in a lifetime snows, the constant rain and snow in some of the towns in sims 4 tends to drive me and my sims crazy, lol. The desert I grew up in was an upper desert where it was quite cool with nice breezes in the summer, and quite cold in the winter, but not a lot of precipitation….

Interesting, thanks for your viewpoint.

I grew up in Southern US (not the deep South, thank goodness) and that has surely shaped my views. When I was younger winters were chillier and had a lot more snow than now. Global warming has taken a toll on the southern US. And I haven't been okay with that because I've noticed that the lack of four seasons is taking a toll on me mentally. So I want that in my games at the very least. Desert worlds, California-style worlds, tropical worlds, and the like depress me, TBH.

I am moving to the Northeast within the next year so I perhaps I will come more at peace with the climate up there and be more open to playing the other worlds. lol
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    blur0seblur0se Posts: 85 Member
    question: why do so many people keep calling it a desert world when the blog description says prairie and even mentions Prairie Grass?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    blur0se wrote: »
    question: why do so many people keep calling it a desert world when the blog description says prairie and even mentions Prairie Grass?

Well, on that note, I looked up prairie areas in the US and it doesn't include Arizona or anywhere that far West, so this could be more in line with Western Oklahoma, the Texas panhandle, eastern New Mexico or Northward of those areas. That could make it more variable in terms of climate, as I know that those areas get hit with a fair amount of ice and snow each winter.

But I'm inclined more to the idea that EA isn't that in the know and we'll just get another hot desert world.

I don't live in any of those areas, but I have watched their climate with awe. A lot of winter storms happen in those areas, along with lots of some of the worst severe thunderstorms. Yet they're also very dry and deserty somehow. I've visited Western Oklahoma, it has mesas and is very deserty.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 974 Member
    blur0se wrote: »

Since it’s something to grow and feed to horses. It’s probably something like Bermuda or Coastal, but maybe they picked “prairie grass” as a way of explaining what it is.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    Now we get the third (if we count Del Sol Valley in - fourth) north american desert world.

Del Sol Valley isn't a desert world, lol. It's basically the LA area. Just because deserts have warm weather doesn't mean everywhere warm is a desert.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,209 Member
    Isn't LA at least near a desert, though? Serious question from someone who has never been outside of Europe. But in most shows and movies that take place in the LA area, a desert is usually not far away. And while I wouldn't call Del Sol Valley a desert world in the true sense of the word, my head does put it in the same general region as the true desert worlds, and the same will probably be true for Chestnut Ridge.

Speaking of which, I used to say that the new world will probably only have 12 lots again. But now that four game changers have built three lots each, which amounts to 12 in total, I'm hopeful there might be 14-15, if only because every world usually comes with at least one completely empty lot.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,155 Member
    I see the 3 Desert worlds that we already have in Sims 4 as different from each other. For example:
    Oasis Springs is a Desert Mexico/Spain Town
    DS Valley is a Desert LA small City
    Strangerville is an Area 51 Town

As for the upcoming Desert World for what I’ve seen is so like Appaloosa Plains which will probably be like Colorado.😉
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,457 Member
    Isn't LA at least near a desert, though? Serious question from someone who has never been outside of Europe. But in most shows and movies that take place in the LA area, a desert is usually not far away. And while I wouldn't call Del Sol Valley a desert world in the true sense of the word, my head does put it in the same general region as the true desert worlds, and the same will probably be true for Chestnut Ridge.

Speaking of which, I used to say that the new world will probably only have 12 lots again. But now that four game changers have built three lots each, which amounts to 12 in total, I'm hopeful there might be 14-15, if only because every world usually comes with at least one completely empty lot.

I believe LA has weather like southern Italy and Greece, it's mostly dry and sunny but it's not a desert. Also, every year they seem to have forest fires which implies that there are forests in the region.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 974 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

I believe LA has weather like southern Italy and Greece, it's mostly dry and sunny but it's not a desert. Also, every year they seem to have forest fires which implies that there are forests in the region.

Yep. They call that a Mediterranean climate. It’s pretty temperate along the coasts (I don’t in in LA county, but within several hours drive). We don’t really have forest fires as much as chaparral wildfires, but trees are not a scare commodity in SoCal.

One would have to travel east over the San Gabriel Mountains to get to the Mojave Desert (which is in Kern County so not “LA”) and Death Valley is located there too.