Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chestnut Ridge World Discussion

14567810...Next

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,457 Member
    I think I will make one of the lots into a sheriff's office, with a couple of jail cells and a bank building next to it. I will make the lot into a library, and the librarian can stick around the office and the weary sims can sleep in the jail cells when they are visiting from out of town.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,916 Member
    edited July 2023
    So, the world is gorgeous, as expected. I am having one frustration with Galloping Gulch, though, and I am hoping one of you creative people can help me find a workaround:

I really love both the Big Sky and Palomino Junction builds. However, I don't love them on the lots they are on, and think they would be much better switched out. I.e., I would like the raggedy little cabin on Palomino Junction moved to the Big Sky lot, and the nice cabin on the BS lot moved to the bigger PJ lot.

The first one is easy. I just save a copy of the PJ lot, bulldoze the BS lot, and then add the PJ lot to the BS lot. I'm not worried about moving the landscaping over, so I can just center it and not worry about what gets cut off around the edges.

But moving the BS lot to the PJ lot is a bit trickier. I'd like to move the BS cabin to the PJ lot, but I want to retain the PJ landscaping. Actually, let me be more specific: I don't care that much about the rest of the landscaping, but I absolutely love that pretty little lake on the PJ lot and I don't have the skills to recreate it. (I also don't have the building skills to tear down the little PJ cabin and rebuild the BS cabin myself.)

So... since we can't merge lots, and have to bulldoze the original lot to add a lot from the gallery/library, is there anything I can do here? Can I save the lake as a room? I know people do save outside areas as rooms, because I see them on the gallery all the time, but for the life of me I can never figure out how to do it. Is that an option here? Or does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    HoneyinmyteaHoneyinmytea Posts: 15 Member
    I absolutely love the world, I think it will be my new go-to!!
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    So, the world is gorgeous, as expected. I am having one frustration with Galloping Gulch, though, and I am hoping one of you creative people can help me find a workaround:

I really love both the Big Sky and Palomino Junction builds. However, I don't love them on the lots they are on, and think they would be much better switched out. I.e., I would like the raggedy little cabin on Palomino Junction moved to the Big Sky lot, and the nice cabin on the BS lot moved to the bigger PJ lot.

The first one is easy. I just save a copy of the PJ lot, bulldoze the BS lot, and then add the PJ lot to the BS lot. I'm not worried about moving the landscaping over, so I can just center it and not worry about what gets cut off around the edges.

But moving the BS lot to the PJ lot is a bit trickier. I'd like to move the BS cabin to the PJ lot, but I want to retain the PJ landscaping. Actually, let me be more specific: I don't care that much about the rest of the landscaping, but I absolutely love that pretty little lake on the PJ lot and I don't have the skills to recreate it. (I also don't have the building skills to tear down the little PJ cabin and rebuild the BS cabin myself.)

So... since we can't merge lots, and have to bulldoze the original lot to add a lot from the gallery/library, is there anything I can do here? Can I save the lake as a room? I know people do save outside areas as rooms, because I see them on the gallery all the time, but for the life of me I can never figure out how to do it. Is that an option here? Or does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I think it should turn into a room if you build a fence around it.
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I love this world more than I thought I would. I turned The Oak Barrel into a restaurant which was very easy because it was already beautifully built. I just added the required items and moved the bar upstairs. I hope they allow players to build all of the lots going forward.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I wonder why the lots are not connected to the paths again.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    hmm it seems like its the trailer lady who has to move out of lot i meant to use for Kine Society

if stable lot type can be residential I'll probably change it to be her house +the stable and have her live there

The stable lot is just a Park. There are no special locked lots in this world.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

I do wish there were a few more 30x40 lots rather than so many 20x30 and smaller ones in this pack. I normally like 20x30, but that just seems a bit small to own a horse. I guess I will see when I get the pack.

The horse bed is 4x4. You can place a bed, use MOO to place a feeder and trough on top of the bed and to one side and surround with fence/gate or walls/door and it's completely functional for horses still... All on 4x4 tiles. Horse ball can be placed in owner's inventory and placed somewhere off-lot (feeder and bed can too, actually).

Placing columns messes with this a bit though as they seem to block horse beds if in contact with them.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,998 Member
    edited July 2023
    EmmaVane wrote: »

I do wish there were a few more 30x40 lots rather than so many 20x30 and smaller ones in this pack. I normally like 20x30, but that just seems a bit small to own a horse. I guess I will see when I get the pack.

The horse bed is 4x4. You can place a bed, use MOO to place a feeder and trough on top of the bed and to one side and surround with fence/gate or walls/door and it's completely functional for horses still... All on 4x4 tiles. Horse ball can be placed in owner's inventory and placed somewhere off-lot (feeder and bed can too, actually).

Placing columns messes with this a bit though as they seem to block horse beds if in contact with them.

It just seems like such a small place for such a big animal, it seems like a real horse would be so cramped in such a small area. But thank you for giving me the size of the straw bed. . It seems like they should have a pasture to graze in. I would have just like to have seen more 20x30’s and 40x50’s in this world, though normally ( other than cottage living and Horse ranch ), I tend to prefer the 20x 30’s in normal worlds
  • Options
    LewanaM00nLewanaM00n Posts: 321 Member

So I was wondering why my horse was not using the horse bed... that's only because of columns near be? It's hard to construct a realistic open barn without them :/
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Thank you for that info on bed size @EmmaVane! I should have time today to set up my game in Chestnut Ridge and update my builds. Unfortunately, I planned and built the stalls in my barns for 4x4 thinking it would be big enough. Will have to increase size of my barns to accommodate the beds, which wouldn't be too much of a problem except that the majority of the lots for ranches are smaller than I would like. I want to fill the world with horses and the other animals! Will have to utilize other worlds as well.
  • Options
    LewanaM00nLewanaM00n Posts: 321 Member
    LewanaM00n wrote: »

So I was wondering why my horse was not using the horse bed... that's only because of columns near be? It's hard to construct a realistic open barn without them :/

Just tested it, yup it's because of the columns... I don't know with what to replace them...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    LewanaM00n wrote: »

If you make the stalls a tile bigger in both directions the columns likely won't be an issue. Alternatively you could test out various fence posts/poles from live edit.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Thank you for that info on bed size @EmmaVane! I should have time today to set up my game in Chestnut Ridge and update my builds. Unfortunately, I planned and built the stalls in my barns for 4x4 thinking it would be big enough. Will have to increase size of my barns to accommodate the beds, which wouldn't be too much of a problem except that the majority of the lots for ranches are smaller than I would like. I want to fill the world with horses and the other animals! Will have to utilize other worlds as well.

4x4 is big enough as long as MOO is on when building (to add gate, plus food/water if you want them on top of bed), as long as there are no columns on the edging walls/fences.

467pLpg.png
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Thanks in advance!

You can move the entire build on the PJ lot by clicking the Move Building button on the top tool bar in build mode. Once you have it where you want it, save it to your Library and place it appropriately on the new lot.
  • Options

Thanks in advance!

You can move the entire build on the PJ lot by clicking the Move Building button on the top tool bar in build mode. Once you have it where you want it, save it to your Library and place it appropriately on the new lot.

Yep, I'm set for that one, it's the move in the opposite direction that's throwing me off (i.e., moving the BS lot to the PJ lot while retaining the lake that's on the PJ lot). I haven't had a chance to try @crocobaura's advice on saving the PJ lake as an outdoor room yet, but I'm going to give that a shot this weekend.
  • Options

For what it's worth, on that small downtown starter lot (20x20?), I was able to make room for a horse bed in that small fenced in area with just two steps: (1) extend the back of the fence by a single tile (i.e., adding a single tile row along the back, going away from the street, there's plenty of room there before you hit the large tree), and then (2) moving the feeder next to the water trough, rather than horizontal. This was without having to use MOO, and the horse bed still fit.

I did not, however, try to cover it. But in over a week of spring season playtime, there was never any rain or snow. Without inclement weather, the horse ate and drank and slept quite happily in that little space. I wouldn't necessarily do that in worlds with blizzards, or regular thunderstorms, but it is possible to make a happy space for your horse in quite small spaces in some circumstances.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Another space-saving way to house horses is to build a mews type home. Modern mews are built over garages, but were originally apartments for grooms, coachmen or stable workers.

Basically, make a garage-type space as the stable/barn and build the living space above it, with front door access to the side of the stable front.

conduit-mews3.jpg

• Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,070 Member
    I don't have the pack yet, but I've been watching some game changer review videos....

I'm soooo in love with this new world. The lighting is fab and I'm especially loving the canyon (gulch) neighbourhood! I can see me spending a lot of time up there and am still trying to decide how I want to renovate that 50x50 lot to accommodate my planned sim and her horsey pal... I like the way the lot looks as is, but I need a bit bigger house and space for a horse stall, mini goat, chicken coop, and a garden patch. Maybe I'll start my rags to riches on that lot as is and slowly build it up as I go....?

I'm also loving the build/buy catalogue of items. Great quality with attention to detail, and all those swatch choices for each item? *chef's kiss* Love it! I'll be using a lot of that BB everywhere in the game. Credit where credit is due dev team! :)

.... now if only we could get those swinging saloon doors and mechanical bull added. ;)
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    It looks like this desert world is based more Northern as it has chilly snowy winters which is nice! I might actually play it sometime. (after I figure out which mod(s) are causing me issues. D: )

4lQwC7k.png
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    edited July 2023
    @BariSaxy At high enough elevation of plains in northern New Mexico and southern Utah, which is what the landscape of the pack looks like to me, you definitely get snow sometimes!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,728 Member
    I am confused- family left vacation on rental in chestnut ridge and i put another fmily there and it's cover in snow- i thought it was supposed to be hot and dessert like
    [img][/img]53083174615_84dbe08296_k.jpgScreenshot 2023-07-30 at 10.24.39 PM by leucosia x, on Flickr

I am confused- family left vacation on rental in chestnut ridge and i put another fmily there and it's cover in snow- i thought it was supposed to be hot and dessert like
  • Options
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    [img][/img]53083174615_84dbe08296_k.jpgScreenshot 2023-07-30 at 10.24.39 PM by leucosia x, on Flickr

It's not really a desert, as there is no sand, just a lot of stone that doesn't support much vegetation. The vegetation also isn't typical one you'd see in a desert, it's suited to temperate climates.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,209 Member
    Beautiful! I classify that as good news for the players who like to experience all seasons, but have been avoiding the new world because they thought it wouldn't get real snow. Now I'm looking forward to winter in Chestnut Ridge myself, as it's the only desert world in the game where snow actually sticks to the ground.