Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cars are coming

Comments

• Options
    ShannonMarie_76ShannonMarie_76 Posts: 46 Member
    Honestly we do not need cars, we do not have an open world, I think it really would be a waste of time and money. We have items we can increase size to place fake vehicles on our lots for decor. We really do not need to be able to drive cars when we do not even see our sim travel.
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    plumboy23 wrote: »
    Honestly we do not need cars, we do not have an open world, I think it really would be a waste of time and money. We have items we can increase size to place fake vehicles on our lots for decor. We really do not need to be able to drive cars when we do not even see our sim travel.

Seriously, you and people who say this need to stop (with the open world excuse), not all the sims games are The Sims 3.

I agree. We don't need open world just to have cars in the game. As I stated before, if they were to add them, they're most likely going to be similar to the ones from The Sims 2.
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

Seriously, you and people who say this need to stop (with the open world excuse), not all the sims games are The Sims 3.

I was quite happy with my cars in The Sims 2--definitely not open world.
    I loved my sim's kid running out to greet them when they drove home from work.
    The sims 4 will always feel weird without them. I feel like my sims belong to an underclass that aren't allowed cars.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member

I do kinda understand their point, though. Don't get me wrong, not giving EA any excuses to exclude cars as they have. I just think that The Sims 4's worlds are awkwardly formatted for cars. The Sims 2, despite not being open-world, was formatted in such a way that each lot was up against a road (and featured nice animations for backing out of and pulling into driveways). That isn't true of every lot in The Sims 4. So... What would we even get with cars in The Sims 4? Lots of teleportation? Perhaps even just clicking on the car and selecting a lot and instant loading screen.

That is precisely what adeepindigo's SimNation mod provides. The fact that I can't even imagine a better implementation of cars in The Sims 4 even by EA sours my excitement for the prospect of an official cars release. But again... doesn't mean that they SHOULDN'T be here. They should. Alas, this is The Sims 4. There are 'shoulds' all around. Join the club. xD
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 134 Member
    For me, it isn't fair we still have no cars, not like they're completly necessary (I even state that before). Just for the feel they're missing and many simmers have been asking about them since launch, and EVEN simgurus adressed them in many occasions, asking how simmers wanted them or doing hints.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Cars are not on my wishlist.

Hope that there will be a way to toggle them because I often play saves in older times. I don’t want cars zooming by then.

Always know that at any time there might come a patch or upgrade that is incompatible with the way I play.
  • Options
    TebanGreenTebanGreen Posts: 54 Member
    Would love to see drivable cars in the game. Would also like to see some public transport such as buses or trains. Wouldn't it be cool if our Sims could use the tram.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member

I don't think you should speak for everybody. You may not want cars,but a lot of other people do.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited November 2023
    For me, it isn't fair we still have no cars, not like they're completly necessary (I even state that before). Just for the feel they're missing and many simmers have been asking about them since launch, and EVEN simgurus adressed them in many occasions, asking how simmers wanted them or doing hints.

I think were forgetting in sims 2 they were necessary .Remember cars were not in the base game .They came with late night and they were for sims to get out of the lot .Without a taxi , sims could not travel.there is not a really a need for cars .Since we can transport by phone .I am not against them added ,but in four there is not really a need.
    Post edited by Horrorgirl6 on
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited November 2023
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I just think that The Sims 4's worlds are awkwardly formatted for cars. The Sims 2, despite not being open-world, was formatted in such a way that each lot was up against a road (and featured nice animations for backing out of and pulling into driveways). That isn't true of every lot in The Sims 4.

Yes, but I think it's important to remember, even in TS2, you could not put a car just anywhere on the lot. There was a special B/B driveway item, and the car had to be placed on that. The driveway also had to be able to connect to the road. So even though in TS2 most lots were up against the road, people still did special builds (castles with moats, houses with lots of landscaping, etc.) where there was no room for the driveway piece, so for all practical purposes you could still not place a car on every lot.

Perhaps TS4 could do something similar, which would mean that rather than having to make broad design decisions like "no cars in this world," "no cars in this neighborhood," it would be as simple as, can we place this b/b piece on this specific lot? Nearly every world has at least some lots where that should be possible.

ETA: of course, assuming we have all of the other stationary interactions that we would want, like fixing up the cars, you could still place the driveway pieces somewhere not attached to the road, and use it for all of those other interactions, even if you couldn't leave the lot with it.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

I think were forgetting in sims 2 they were necessary .Remember cars were not in the base game .They came with late night and they were for sims to get out of the lot .Without a taxi , sims could not travel.there is not a really a need for cars .Since we can transport by phone .I am not against them added ,but in four there is not really a need.

There were taxis and carpools in basegame though. Just because they were not buyable does not mean that there weren't any. For TS4 they cut corners and removed the cars completely, only left the decorative ones. Yes, we don't technically need them because the game can run without them, it was a design decision, but then the game can run in any way if you design it so. Just because the game runs without cars, or toddlers, or believable teenagers, doesn't mean that it's ok.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    The question I have is, where would you drive the cars to without an open world? Does the car drive to the edge of a neighbourhood (which would probably take all of 5 seconds) and vanish, and then reappear in front of whichever lot you were travelling to?
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    The question I have is, where would you drive the cars to without an open world? Does the car drive to the edge of a neighbourhood (which would probably take all of 5 seconds) and vanish, and then reappear in front of whichever lot you were travelling to?

I don't really care to see the car driving around the neighbourhood, they are too small for that and the car driving fast and turning corners every second makes my head spin and, unlike with the horses, I can't even admire the scenery. Maybe they could make a dedicated neighbourhood with a racetrack or some beautiful coastal road you could drive along for fun, but if that's not possible, I am fine with TS2 style driving.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member

There’s really no need for bikes either, yet there they are
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

There’s really no need for bikes either, yet there they are

Actually they did have use riding them around campus.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

Cars? PFFF! Who cares. Same with life simulators. Waste of Time and Money. Just live life to the fullest and drive your real car on a real road and interact with really real humans, not those digital ones with green plumbobs floating above their heads. What's the point in that + BLAAH HUMBLLUGH.
    It's a joke ok, it's a joke, sheesh.
    I've wanted residential drivable trucks for my sims from day one and that's not one bit of a joke. Oh, and my rusty auld Sloppy Jalopy. I want that too. Sloppy Jalopy. 🥹
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2023
    The reasons I want cars have nothing to do with watching them be driven. They’re a major, realistic expense for most people. It would add more challenge financially, but there could be cheaper modes of transportation available (like calling for a cab). I could see some traits preferring certain types of cars. There could be a fortune aspiration for a car collection. The pride of ownership, washing, or maintaining a car would be interesting.

ETA: And so what if some worlds and lots are more compatible with driveways? If you want a car, live in a place where it makes sense to do so. There will be other households that live in more remote areas and don’t use a car or need 4-wheel drive, or even flying cars.

In the For Rent gameplay trailer, they did say to enjoy the road ahead. 😉
    Post edited by babajayne on
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited November 2023
    i think cars would be cool cause they don’t just have to be used to drive with. Like Ts2-3, they can be used as a fixer upper project, we could get different paints to customize, work on engines to gain handiness skill, we could get a freelance mechanic career or even get a new mechanic shop lot for a career and sims bring cars for repair. A new woohoo spot. Can turn on the radio and relax. A new place to watch the stars. Would prob be great for story telling for dates.

The parking objects could maybe be placed on any lot type so u can have parking lots. teens love to hangout in parking lots :D There’s many options.

I also wanted to add that we don't even need the cars to be actually drivable in the sense that we see sims drive off onto the road. It could be you click on a car select "travel to" you choose where to go, and then you see your sim get in their car, turn it on, and then you get a loading screen. For me, cars are more about adding realism and the activities or hobbies that can be associated with them. Dont really the drive aspect.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 134 Member
    They're close!
  • Options
    BabyKittyGirlBabyKittyGirl Posts: 92 Member
    guys I wanna a ferrari!!!!! Or a LIMO DEFINITELY A LIMO
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    I want cars for storytelling. I hope we can not only get personal cars but also service cars such as school buses, maid vans, fire engines and police cars. I want my detective sims to turn up to crime scenes in a police car, for example. Having a baby? Time to call for an ambulance! Stealing your neighbours toilet for the eleventy billionth time? Better make sure you have a decent getaway car!

Cars will make the world more believable. I know it did when I played The Sims 1 back in 2001!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    The way that I would want cars is with sports cars in some glamourous world like a mountainous one with winding paths to mansion retreats. I'd see it maybe connecting to Tartosa where I have some household that seems like they would drive Ferraris. I have some others like that. I get that a lot of people just want cars and sure, I'd give cars to other households but that's what I'd want. They can make them some emissions-free Formula One style but that's what I'd want. What I do remember of Sims 2 was that it was also fun to fix up junky cars so it would be great if they bring that back. Also, of course it makes sense to have electric cars. I'm not really waiting on the average family cars though I know some people are. I'd want more "Top Gear" style but I think that if they add cars then they can add both types.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Sorry if I repeated myself in this thread but cars will feel more lively like I would love to see the school bus, mail truck, maid truck, delivery drivers like the pizza man and actual delivery drivers, repair, repo, call for a taxi, or an Uber, or wait for the city or neighborhood bus if you don't have a car, again it will make the neighborhood more lively also I loved in Sims 3 where you watch your neighbors leave I would love that for the Sims 4 watch my neighbors leave and come back home from working, or errands.
    I would also like the option for kids to either go to and from school by bus or a parent, grandparents or older siblings can take them by car.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Went into my game yesterday and the welcome message at the top of the main page was: "Meep meep, AncientMuse2!"

:o

I've never seen that message before....? Has anyone else ever noticed this? Not to get people's hopes up too much but..... surely that must be a hint cars really are coming this year?

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain