The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your Merfolk doing today?

Comments

• Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 725 Member
    And last but not least, my other identical mermaid twins, Stheno and Euryale (I recreated these two as Grim and Aislinn's children, the other ones I lost were Reaper grandchildren, and kids of a mermaid pairing I no longer have in my game)

Stheno

5A4iCQs.png

Euryale

FHye2WP.png
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,112 Member
    @GrimlyFiendish I definitely would love to see more updates for all of them. Thank you so much for sharing your MerSims!
  • Options
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    @GrimlyFiendish I definitely would love to see more updates for all of them. Thank you so much for sharing your MerSims!

I've just downloaded spinning plumbob's expanded mermaid mod, so definitely have updates from that. I'm just seeing what it does, lot of fun so far. :)

• Options
    It's Saturday night in Sims land, time for a dinner out with Coventina, Damona, Stheno, and Euryale (Moryana and Veles got seated in a whole other section)

3kyy7Ll.png

Rounding out a good night with a nice night swim and chat

rPUkeDf.png

7lgKfhS.png

4ZV9U2n.png

• Options
    Family get together.

xqU68uf.png

Coventina, Euryale and Damona enjoying a swim together

ivLV4ur.png

Euryale decides to entertain her nieces with some sea shanties

sepqpNS.png

'Yeah don't mind my twin sister, Stheno's just an overly dramatic story teller like our dad'.

opSURF2.png

Euryale vibing with the ocean after collecting seawater

JlMXFQx.png

Before heading off for a swim

BI7LXIK.png

• Options
    WIP, I'm not usually a builder and I rarely use move objects cheat when I do build, but I've decided to just go full experimental with this. I'm hoping it will be a functioning nighclub for mermaids when it's finished. :)

vezevPW.png

• Options
    edited August 2023
    @GrimlyFiendish The build is looking pretty awesome, not going to lie!

I definitely recommend the Sea-Nery stuff pack by Spinning Plumbob and the mod from Peridot Sim that keeps fish fresh.

Peridot Sims Mod

https://www.patreon.com/posts/69838558?utm_campaign=postshare_fan

Spinning Plumbob Mod

https://www.patreon.com/posts/74793919?utm_campaign=postshare_fan

Peridot Sims Mod is definitely a must for the aquarium sand bed and coral by Spinning Plumbob.

Without the mod by Peridot, the fish will suffer from quality decay over time.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    @GrimlyFiendish There are a lot of under the sea themed items hidden in the debug catalog that require cheats to access. I highly recommend those items for any build that simulates underwater. Unfortunately, those items only come in 1 color without mods.

Edit:

I think you need the Island Living Expansion Pack

And you need to use the cheats:

Bb.showhiddenobjects

And

Bb.showliveeditobjects

The corals can be accessed on both the PC and Console, but I think you need the pc to move the corals up on the wall with the 0 and 9 keys on a laptop, also the parentheses ( ), on a laptop.

Fair warning, placing the corals on the wall and raising them to a level merfolk won’t clip through is very time consuming, and it’s the one part of all my builds that easily take me an insane amount of time to do.

Second Edit: I don’t think it’s possible to adjust corals along walls with the console.

If these items weren’t debug items for most people, they would most definitely be accessible for console players to place on walls if they were found under wall sculptures and wall art.
  • Options
    @Metior_Ice Thanks heaps for those links and cheats. :) At the moment I'm just trying an above ground build with pool access. I might try an underwater themed build at a later date. I do have the sea-nery stuff set from spinning plumbobs, I'm hoping to incorporate the basking rocks into this build. :)

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Okay just test played the finished build, and for the most part it works (except the mermaids swim through the rocks on the side of the pools, and you have to tell them to swim in the pools or else they'll head out for the ocean nearby).

Some screenshots. :)

Talay, Eurydice, Ezili and Sirona basking on their basking rocks (that's Theodora talking to them, she's a vampire and Eurydice and Danu's sister).

tr0x1ih.png

Talay, Eurydice, Eidotha and Narmada on the dance floor.

zXcsDMu.png

Ezili going from a swim in the pool area, showing off her tail.

vDMA9BL.png

Danu and Li Ban going for a swim in the ocean (this is where I realised you have to direct your mermaids to swim in the pool provided).
    V1XGklQ.png

Overall shot of what the finished build looks like.

8bW80RX.png

• Options
    @GrimlyFiendish Something that I’ve learned about merfolk is that they are drawn to open world spaces to swim.

It’s not just Sulani… it’s a quirk that all merfolk have 🧜🏻‍♂️🧜🏽‍♀️🧜🏻🧜🏽‍♂️🧜🏻‍♀️🧜🏽.

Dylan and Zeph, when I had them go through University, would stop doing homework and bike to the river to swim…

Honestly, if you don’t know where a sim can swim in the open world, place a merman and/or mermaid in a neighborhood, give them full autonomy, and they will find the swim spots for you. It’s almost like it’s hard coded into them.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of giving Coventina a career as a bar tender, she's managing quite well considering her Dad has chosen the most inopportune time to use his mod given mermadic powers to manipulate an object. :D

4jWHIqZ.png

Off for a night time's collecting of kelp and ambergris.

(Moryana)

9Euec51.png

(Damona)

XIdw62r.png

(Stheno)

JRxitEN.png

Nightime swim and chat

C5bltpC.png

• Options
    And an explanation on my Mer-sims names. :)

Eurydice - is from the story of Orpheus and Eurydice. She has a twin brother, called Orpheus, and was originally a spellcaster and my first mermaid sim (hence her name isn't particularly connected with water).

Talay - is named for the Turkic god of the seas and oceans.

Eidothea - is named for the Greek nymph of prophecy, daughter of Proteus (I will be adding Proteus into my game at some point, although not as Eidothea's father, because she already has parents).

Enki - is named for the Sumerian god of water, knowledge, crafts and creation.

Ninmah - was created as a Sim wife for Enki, hence her name. Ninmah was an ancient Sumerian goddess who at one point forms part of a creation myth with the god Enki.

Nanshe - is named for the Mesopotamian goddess of the sea, marshland, and creatures that reside therein (birds, fish, etc).

Thaumas - is named for the one of the Greek sea gods.

Electra - is named for one of the Greek oceanids who was the wife of Thaumas (obviously in the case of my mer-sims I made them brother and sister instead).

Galene - is named for one of the minor Greek goddesses who presided over calm seas.

Thetis - is named for a Greek mythological figure of the same name, who appears as a sea nymph, a goddess of water, and a Neried depending on the myth.

Danu - is named for a Celtic goddess who has nothing to do with water, that I know of (I just like Celtic names). Like Eurydice she was born a spellcaster and became my second ever mermaid. Both of them were already established in the game (as spellcasters) before I bought the Island Living pack.

Li Ban - is named after the Celtic legend of the formation of Lake Neagh, where a woman named Li Ban (also sometimes spelt Liban) was a woman who became a mermaid.

Sirona - is named for the Celtic goddess sometimes associated with healing springs.

Ezili - is named for the Loa in Vodou who are, among other things, associated with water and fluidity.

Narmada - is named for an Indian goddess who is the personification of the river Narmada.

Moryana - is named for a Russian sea spirit.

Veles - is named for a Slavic god of waters, earth, livestock and the underworld.

Damona - is named for the Gallo-Roman patron deity of hot springs.

Coventina - is named for the Romano-British goddess of wells and springs.

Stheno - is named for one of the Gorgons (yes there are another two besides medusa) who n Greek mythology was the daughter of the primordial sea deities, Phorcys and Ceto.

Euryale - same as for Stheno.

• Options
    @GrimlyFiendish Something that I’ve learned about merfolk is that they are drawn to open world spaces to swim.

It’s not just Sulani… it’s a quirk that all merfolk have 🧜🏻‍♂️🧜🏽‍♀️🧜🏻🧜🏽‍♂️🧜🏻‍♀️🧜🏽.

Dylan and Zeph, when I had them go through University, would stop doing homework and bike to the river to swim…

Honestly, if you don’t know where a sim can swim in the open world, place a merman and/or mermaid in a neighborhood, give them full autonomy, and they will find the swim spots for you. It’s almost like it’s hard coded into them.

Ah, okay that makes sense. I thought I had autonomy switched off, but maybe I didn't double check that after I had to redownload the game. I get what you're saying about mermaids finding any spot the can swim. I had some of them doing university courses from home to get the Academic aspiration, and every time I tried to send them to Britechester to sit on on lectures, or tutor other students, they kept running off and going for a swim in the rivers instead. :D

By the way I love your mer-sims and the stories you've created for them. :)

• Options
    edited August 2023
    @GrimlyFiendish Thank you! I’m going to try and squeeze in an update to a few older chapters to make the formatting easier to read as soon as I’m able to. It’ll be a couple weeks before my first chapter of the second arc.

—————————

Curious about whether or not you have the Expanded Mermaid Mod set to give mersims a random weakness. There’s a weakness called a moon spell that can cause all kinds of havoc. Maybe that’s why Veles started manipulating an object? I know that if you don’t change the settings, merfolk can get random weaknesses with the Expanded Mermaid Mod.
  • Options
    @GrimlyFiendish Thank you! I’m going to try and squeeze in an update to a few older chapters to make the formatting easier to read as soon as I’m able to. It’ll be a couple weeks before my first chapter of the second arc.

—————————

Curious about whether or not you have the Expanded Mermaid Mod set to give mersims a random weakness. There’s a weakness called a moon spell that can cause all kinds of havoc. Maybe that’s why Veles started manipulating an object? I know that if you don’t change the settings, merfolk can get random weaknesses with the Expanded Mermaid Mod.

I don't have the mod set to random weakness, I like to be more in control of my game and very rarely appreciate surprises or things I haven't set up. In this case I had Veles manipulate on object, because I wanted to see what it did. Coventina just happened to decide to start mixing drinks whilst the bar was floating in mid air. :D

• Options
    Nanshe has a new partner, Phaedra (Phaedra's name doesn't have any connection to water or the ocean, it's just a name I like and also part of one of my favourite songs, 'Some Velvet Morning')

W0kPJsK.png

Nanshe meditating in mermaid form.

t6RyqIO.png

While Phaedra practices making drinks

jsEVHaO.png

Nanshe mentors Phaedra in guitar

LnCEeb4.png

And then I had them get engaged in front of the cupcake maker, as you do. :D

OT8uLZP.png

• Options
    New Years Eve for Enki, Ninmah, Nanshe and Phaedra

Phaedra in human form having a drink with her future mother in law (Ninmah seems to want to keep all the drinks to herself).

kcuGyOd.png

Galene drops in for a visit, and Nanshe gets a congratulatory hug from her Great Aunt after announcing her engagement to Phaedra.

w5HpLyr.png

Waiting for the countdown to midnight to start.

umK2djX.png

Phaedra and Nanshe having a post midnight swim.

Ng6zQLQ.png

2zUJ2Jq.png.

As for who prefers to stay in mermaid form and who stays more in human form, I'm making it so that those who were born or specifically created as mer-sims, or who have the child of the ocean trait always prefer to be in mermaid form. For others it's a literal dice roll as to whether or not I give them the 'restless fins' trait (mod) where they're happier not being in human form. B)

• Options
    I made a generic lot with an underwater basking area for mermaids (I've since updated it to include basking rocks on the shore and a dance area as well as a picnic area).

nZ4Fs7S.png

Nanshe, Phaedra, Ninmah and Enki enjoyed it so much I've given them their own underwater basking area at home.

oJG7lIn.png

Also Enki has now apparently mastered the art of walking on water.

RQHChvg.png

• Options
    edited September 2023
    @GrimlyFiendish I think the walking on water is a glitch that happens when you use bb.moveobjects to place items underwater.

On the console, I triggered the walking on water glitch when I placed nanpuka plants underwater to simulate sea grass. Apparently, it messed with the pathing when I told my merfolk to swim around.

The other thing that might be glitching movement underwater and on the water could be open water ladders. I remember evil Alexander climbing on the ladder before glitching underwater to the point where Ukupanipo used the siren call, bathroom walked to the ladder underwater, and climbed up the ladder a second time before making it to dry land.

Anyways, the movement of merfolk that use items underwater will glitch. As much as I love the idea, I started creating the underwater rooms because the walking on water got a little jarring for me.
  • Options
    @GrimlyFiendish I think the walking on water is a glitch that happens when you use bb.moveobjects to place items underwater.

On the console, I triggered the walking on water glitch when I placed nanpuka plants underwater to simulate sea grass. Apparently, it messed with the pathing when I told my merfolk to swim around.

The other thing that might be glitching movement underwater and on the water could be open water ladders. I remember evil Alexander climbing on the ladder before glitching underwater to the point where Ukupanipo used the siren call, bathroom walked to the ladder underwater, and climbed up the ladder a second time before making it to dry land.

Anyways, the movement of merfolk that use items underwater will glitch. As much as I love the idea, I started creating the underwater rooms because the walking on water got a little jarring for me.

Thanks for this. I've removed the underwater basking areas from everywhere except the national park, it was causing too many glitches. B)

• Options
    Proteus and Phoenicia (one of Grim and Aislinn's many, many, many children) enjoying a basking session while they wait for tea to cook.

uSWQyiq.png

Reciting love poetry at dinner.

Dmm4b9S.png

More basking at the nightclub

7oPb96T.png

Time for a selfie

DrD6DdN.png

• Options
    @GrimlyFiendish If you simulate an underwater environment using build mode above the water. The glitches are much less intrusive and the underwater immersion is significantly better.

One of the things I’ve done at the sand bar is create a basement to simulate being underwater. I used a gate and locked the door for everyone except my club that only includes merfolk, and Ember.

So, above the simulated underwater environment, you have a normal lounge for everyone. Below, you have a space that only merfolk can enter.

With MCCC you can make merfolk outside of your active household move around with their tail.

It’s actually super easy to do with mods, and as soon as I’m able to, I can share a short walkthrough of what I’m doing.

This is something you can do without mods, but the console is limited to the active household.
  • Options