Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,911 Member
    Hi and welcome to the forum @Profiler :)
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    Not exactly a new member but more of a longtime "stalker"...however, I guess you guys can treat me as a new member if you like. Refer to me as Martezia King because honestly, I hate my username and I'm guessing I can't change it till I'm a full member, huh? Anyway, I can't wait to comment on this forum after silently watching from the shadows for so long (it's about time that I'll come out and "reveal" myself) ^.^
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    Not exactly a new member but more of a longtime "stalker"...however, I guess you guys can treat me as a new member if you like. Refer to me as Martezia King because honestly, I hate my username and I'm guessing I can't change it till I'm a full member, huh? Anyway, I can't wait to comment on this forum after silently watching from the shadows for so long (it's about time that I'll come out and "reveal" myself) ^.^

@Gemmystone123, you can head on over to @EA_Cade page and ask him to change your name to whichever new name you have decided on... 🙂
  • Options
    @lisasc360 Oh okay, thanks! Nice to meet you btw 😊
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    @lisasc360 Oh okay, thanks! Nice to meet you btw 😊

@Gemmystone123, you're welcome. It's also nice to meet you as well and welcome to the forums...🤗
  • Options
    popcorn2230popcorn2230 Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been playing the sims for about 3 years now and I have had many problem occur due to my laptop etc and I only recently found out about https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en . This has been so useful but I think some issues are too old to fix. GET ON THERE NOW!! There are so many helpful simmers who know how to help you and it is such a supportive community!
  • Options
    Hi and welcome @MarteziaKing :)

• Options
    Hi @mightysprite! Nice to meet you and thank you so for the welcome, I appreciate it. 🥰👋🥰
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
  • Options
    TebanGreenTebanGreen Posts: 54 Member
    Hello everyone. Been playing since January 2020. Needed something to get me through the Corvid pandemic. Found the Sims4 and been hooked ever since.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member
    Hi @TebanGreen. Welcome to the forum. 🙂

If you have any gameplay questions please feel free to ask in the following thread. Until you become a member and can start discussions.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989829/ts4-totally-random-comments-and-questions#latest
  • Options
    Jordan1975Jordan1975 Posts: 29 Member
    I'm not exactly a new member, I've had this account since sims 2/3, but had a hard time trying to login the past few months or so. Mostly was just coming here for mod updates.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Jordan1975 wrote: »
    I'm not exactly a new member, I've had this account since sims 2/3, but had a hard time trying to login the past few months or so. Mostly was just coming here for mod updates.

HI @Jordan1975! My mod update news has actually moved to AHQ. You'll always find the current thread pinned in https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs, and you can subscribe to it to receive notifications.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Jordan1975Jordan1975 Posts: 29 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > HI @Jordan1975! My mod update news has actually moved to AHQ. You'll always find the current thread pinned in https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs, and you can subscribe to it to receive notifications.

I have it bookmarked, I keep popping on there every other day or so. Enjoy your time from so many hours of doing the mod updates, and adding the links to them. Hopefully the way it is now will save you time, and energy that you can use elsewhere.
  • Options
    Simulon33Simulon33 Posts: 1 New Member
    I downloaded households in the gallery and make them dress like their rich and do cheats in the game
  • Options
    PrincessssPrincessss Posts: 72 Member
    Helloooo I'm Princessss. I'm a new Sims player, I recently bought loads of the packs during the sales on the EA App. I love the Sims 4...I love being creative, making lovely Sims and building cool buildings...also love to write and make stories with the Sims. Writing is one of my fave things to do! :)

I also like music - love music actually lolol. My fave singers are Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran, though I'm also a big fan of Dua Lipa now as well.

I'm in my final year of school, in my free time I like to write, listen to music, play Sims and watch movies.

Nice to meet you!

Princessss.
    ty6k6zxplciy.jpg
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

Welcome new forum members! 🎉
    (And when the old forum members gave the new forum members a like/awesome it would be easier for them to become full members and participate 💞)
    ce81a46b6b4850f1d0120112b785d9c5041f7f7e.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    > @Lenny_Ogg said:
    > Welcome new forum members! 🎉
    > (And when the old forum members gave the new forum members a like/awesome it would be easier for them to become full members and participate 💞)

Thank you so much! ^^
    It's nice to meet you.
    ty6k6zxplciy.jpg
  • Options

@Princessss nice to meet you too 😊 which packs did you choose, if I may ask and do you post about your Sims/stories anywhere?
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    > @Lenny_Ogg said:
    > @Princessss nice to meet you too 😊 which packs did you choose, if I may ask and do you post about your Sims/stories anywhere?

I chose Island Living, Horse Ranch, Seasons, Growing Together and Get To Work :-)

I've written lots of stories. I'm hoping to share some on the forum!
    ty6k6zxplciy.jpg
  • Options
    @Princessss Ah a good choice 😊 I hope you are a full member soon so you can share your stories (and your builds maybe too) 🏡
  • Options
    MonokumaMonokuma Posts: 18 Member
    First of all, I would like to say, I don't want to play Sims 4 at all, and I want to use it as semi-engine for my creation. However, not planning to create Machinima, not planning to use "Telling stories" within TS4 - but I'm considering to use this game for pure graphics creation and use it for Visual Novel purposes. I'm not planning or intending to publish, sale, release in any way - just to create form of Visual Novel for myself - obviously if TS4 will be suitable software for my needs.

My questions as follows:

1. I want to know, if it's possible to have an access to other buildings or maps / part of maps, without necessity of playing. For example, I'm creating a family, and I want to "send" them (somewhat) to Library, pose them and create scene, where family is looking for a book, after this, I may want to move them to a shopping centre and make them shopping etc.

2. Is it possible to switch off simulation in this game? For example, I may want to work on scene in school, with several students, teachers etc. And in the meantime I don't want to any of my character got older, or die instantly due to neglecting needs.

2a. Is it possible to create semi-living scenes, but in loop - for example where characters are walking, wondering from A to B, and repeating this over and over?

3. If I want to create some scenes like school, carrier - obviously I need to have a specific pack / addon, but do I need to play substantial amount of time, to unlock this. Do I need to create married couple, create a baby, go through all stages until grows and then send to school and from this point I will be able to use "School Life"? Or maybe, whatever scene I want to create - it's just to buy a empty plot, build class and pretend it's a school life, and use any objects form addon to create a school life?

4. Is it possible to control traffic, vehicles placement on the map, or maybe it's just a luck, wait in camera mode, until car appears and then snap a photo?
  • Options
    Hi @Monokuma and welcome :)

You can check out the stories, challenges, and legacies board here on this site to see some examples of what people do with stories like you're talking about. Some people are essentially just writing captions or narrative around gameplay and some people are doing more what you're doing. There are also threads there about storytelling that have advice.

Now to your questions

1. You do have to be playing a family in order to travel them to places and take screenshots of them doing things, but the game is very open-ended, so it's not like you have to meet certain goals or anything while you're there.
    2. Aging can be turned off altogether in the game options menu. There are cheat codes that one can use to manage needs. Getting multiple sims to pose the way you want them at the same time is the bigger challenge. But if you are able to use mods, people have created various mods to allow more control over poses.
    2a. I'm not sure about a loop that would repeat multiple times in exactly the same way, but, you can queue up multiple actions to create an effect like that. For more control, one of those pose mods would help.
    3. You can create a household of sims with teens at any time. You can also download households and lots from the gallery.
    4. You could do that in two ways. The cars that go by in the background can be photographed in the way you're talking about. You can also place cars in the world yourself, but cars are decorative only in TS4 (thus far) and the only ones available in the usual build menu are toys-- so you either need to place toy cars from the build menu, or learn how to access the debug build items (requires cheat codes) which are in a much larger hidden catalog.

You might like to search online for an overview of cheat codes and how to use the debug build menu at first.
    And then maybe explore how to use mods and custom content if you need to expand beyond what the game will do on its own.
  • Options
    MonokumaMonokuma Posts: 18 Member
    > @mightysprite said:
    > Hi @Monokuma and welcome :)
    >
    > You can check out the stories, challenges, and legacies board here on this site to see some examples of what people do with stories like you're talking about. Some people are essentially just writing captions or narrative around gameplay and some people are doing more what you're doing. There are also threads there about storytelling that have advice.

Hi, @mightysprite and thanks for your input.
    I had an experience with creating Visual Novels so far, but I used different "engines". At this point I'm just considering use TS4 as engine for my purposes. As I don't have an experience with Sims, as a player - I had to ask some questions and decide if I want to try it or not.
    Not saying TS4 is either good or bad game, this is completely irrelevant for me, as I would like to spend very limited time playing, or playing when it's really necessary. TS4 is considered only to provide GFX (or animations) as an output - nothing else. Sure, it could serve as some sort of database, for example when Ann and John Simith are a couple, there's no point to give them a different names and make live harder.

>
    > Now to your questions
    >
    > 1. You do have to be playing a family in order to travel them to places and take screenshots of them doing things, but the game is very open-ended, so it's not like you have to meet certain goals or anything while you're there.

I've been testing TS4 on my friend PC this morning, and can confirm. It's possible to make them travel to some sort of non-habitable builidings, like a library, which could be re-builded as I presume.
    I believe it's possible to find in this game almost every possible building in daily living of average person, giving possibility of creation most of the scenes - sure, I do realise it depends on addons / expansion packs purchased.

> 2. Aging can be turned off altogether in the game options menu. There are cheat codes that one can use to manage needs. Getting multiple sims to pose the way you want them at the same time is the bigger challenge. But if you are able to use mods, people have created various mods to allow more control over poses.

Aging was taken into my consideration, as I really affraid existing sims could die, or even worse change their age and become unusable as characters for my purposes. Anyway - I do believe it will have to be based on saves, as probably neglecting other "my sims" may leed to their dead or even worse ;)

Multiple sims being posed will be not a problem, I tested some mods, like: pose player, effect player, teleport any sim, tool, mc etc. It's not a perfect solution but somehow is achieveable. Sure, there is a huge list of poses / animation within a game (about 1MB of plain text) and there are poses for singles, couples, adult, young, groups, families etc. Only time consuming is find all of them, test, and keep whatever is useful.

> 2a. I'm not sure about a loop that would repeat multiple times in exactly the same way, but, you can queue up multiple actions to create an effect like that. For more control, one of those pose mods would help.

Obviously, I would prefer if could be a route created for any sim "on the scene" but this is not realistic, and never seen, never read about mods like this.

> 3. You can create a household of sims with teens at any time. You can also download households and lots from the gallery.

What I need it's quite opposite. I would prefer to have "a proper families", where any teenage sim has own family, and if I want to create a school scene, I would "travel" to school (buying and using some sort of pack like School / University life) and there place needed sims in the classroom, to create scenes, and if I want to create scenes with family life involving any teenage sim, move whoever is needed to their house.

> 4. You could do that in two ways. The cars that go by in the background can be photographed in the way you're talking about. You can also place cars in the world yourself, but cars are decorative only in TS4 (thus far) and the only ones available in the usual build menu are toys-- so you either need to place toy cars from the build menu, or learn how to access the debug build items (requires cheat codes) which are in a much larger hidden catalog.

I tried today, and cars-on-the-go and pedestrians-on-the-go (NPS's I presume) giving some semirealistic vibe, as every scene could be unique and just like in real life, everything what is going on, is beyond our control.
    But it's also limitation, as I can't probably create scenes like I want - for example trafic during the day, and almost no cars and pedestrians during the night.

Perfect solution for me, creating just pure graphics will be switch-off-simulation, make all sims zombies and take control over all sims, including pets and car, placing them wherever I want - but at this point it looks virtually impossible.

> You might like to search online for an overview of cheat codes and how to use the debug build menu at first.
    > And then maybe explore how to use mods and custom content if you need to expand beyond what the game will do on its own.

Once more, thank you for your help and really appreciate if more of you will bring own thoughts.
  • Options
    BabyKittyGirlBabyKittyGirl Posts: 92 Member
    Guys...I am new to the sims 4...but I have played ALL the sims games via ds and xbox, and online ROMS! I have completed so many games and soooo desperate for more. The most satisfying game I've played was the sims 3 xbox version...which never ever bored me! I could play that forever! However, I was shipped off to college where xbox's do not frolic freely...So I found this! You know the sims 4! However I know NOTHING about it! Is it like the sims 3 xbox version? Or like give me some advice guys! especially you @Gordy!
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,023 Member
    Guys...I am new to the sims 4...but I have played ALL the sims games via ds and xbox, and online ROMS! I have completed so many games and soooo desperate for more. The most satisfying game I've played was the sims 3 xbox version...which never ever bored me! I could play that forever! However, I was shipped off to college where xbox's do not frolic freely...So I found this! You know the sims 4! However I know NOTHING about it! Is it like the sims 3 xbox version? Or like give me some advice guys! especially you @Gordy!
    I never played the Sims 3 on XBox, but if it's anything like the Sims 2 console games, then it's likely pretty limited. Sims 4 would offer a lot more freedom to do things. And honestly, given how forgiving Sims 4 is compared to other games, you can really just do whatever you want and not suffer too much. I guess you can just follow the in-game tutorials to get the hang of playing. Once you're used to it, I recommend getting mods and CC, if you're playing on a computer.

Then, when you've done that, go on the forums and post about wanting dragons in the game.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017