Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,370 EA Community Manager

So, dig back into those old posts that inspired you and nominate them to be migrated. That's why they're giving us the chance to do just that.

If you nominate 2 or 10 or 100 threads you feel are important at least some of them will be saved, and that's better than losing everything.

Yes, I know that. I’m not talking about threads that I followed, so much as threads where I just looked something up or read for a bit and they helped or inspired me at that time in my game. I couldn’t possibly remember what they all are now. I’m truly glad that many of the great threads can be nominated here and therefore brought over, but there will still be a lot of ‘random’ threads that are lost.

You're going to get me musing about the ephemeral nature of knowledge, the loss of the Library of Alexandria and the pen-scratchings of medieval scholars trying to preserve surviving fragments of ancient texts. :)

If we move the entire forum, does is become the Forum of Theseus?
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,961 Member
    What makes a forum good are the people (including the moderation)

TS4 has a unique and awesome community, it's very life-affirming and supportive of creativity, not to mention supportive of women and LGBTQ+ folk, in a way not found in most gaming communities online.

I hope all the people who make this place the way it is will hop over to the new forum too :)

• Options
    What makes a forum good are the people (including the moderation)

TS4 has a unique and awesome community, it's very life-affirming and supportive of creativity, not to mention supportive of women and LGBTQ+ folk, in a way not found in most gaming communities online.

I hope all the people who make this place the way it is will hop over to the new forum too :)

I'm taking every step I can to ensure that it does, including reaching out to some familiar faces here to bring them closer to us to give us the best chance of maintaining the legacy of this site when we migrate.

More info on that soon.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,069 Member
    Ohhh bother.....

vbNZlUb.gif

I'm going to miss the easy format and layout of this forum. I hope the new one is just as user friendly and familiar enough to easily and comfortably navigate for us old dinosaurs.

*heavy sigh*

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions

Hey, this is a scary premise and I'm going to do everything I can to make it less scary.

We are not flinching in the face of this change, we are embracing it.
  • Options
    RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    I appreciate your attitude.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    @EA_Cade How do I go about updating my email address on here? It says I don't have permission. I already have an Answer HQ account with my email linked to my EA App account with all my Sims games, so I'd prefer to use that one. I think the matching email address account on these forums is banned (lol).
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Will there still be spoiler to collapse comments? Some post heavy picture comment and it creates soo much lag to open the thread

Yes, some version of a collapsible spoiler feature will be supported on the new site. We are not yet sure how your “spoilers” will look once migrated over, but you will be able to use this capability for new posts and replies on the new forums site.
    EgonVM wrote: »

Ah, as I suspected...

So, every picture I've uploaded through the Activity tab will be safe, right?

The Activity tab has no counterpart on AHQ, since people could post pretty much anything there we don't have a catch-all destination that makes sense for all of the content shared.
    Lecca wrote: »
    "In July 2024, The Sims Forums will be permanently closed and will no longer be accessible. Anyone trying to access The Sims Forums using the original URL will be redirected to The Sims section on the new EA forums site."

Sorry, does this mean that these forums will not even be archived? There will be no way of seeing anything that was posted on the forums prior to Oct. 22 that hasn't been migrated over? And it is our responsibility to figure out which threads over the past 14 years are worthy of saving?

I often have an issue in my game and the answer is found in a long ago discussion here on the forums. All of this knowledge and troubleshooting is simply going to be erased?

These Forums are my go to for sims news and discussions. I find discord and AHQ to be difficult to navigate and follow. Really hoping these new forums do not follow the AHQ interface.

We knew something was up with the forums a few months ago when it stopped appearing in google searches but were assured that the forums were not going anywhere and now they're being eliminated. Just majorly bummed overall by this news.

The forums poor search engine optimization was just one of many, many reasons this decision was made. A bigger reason for the closure would be the features we keep losing due to the age of the platform, For example: Tweet embeds just stopped working due to an outdated security feature, and we can't get them back. There isn't really a way to sugarcoat this, these forums are old, practically ancient in technology terms. If you could see all of the duct tape holding this place together on the backend, perhaps you could get an idea of why we're using this opportunity to build out a brand new forum instead with the features we want you to have, in an environment where we can control how issues are addressed and fixed, and that we can upgrade over time.
    I don't know much about forum technology. Will we still be able to copy and insert an Imgur share code if we want to post a picture? And if the new forum works with the "comfort" and stability of the AHQ bug report templates, I will be sad.

You can upload images directly to AHQ via the Photo editor. You can see what the new EA forums photo options will look like here for now, until we have more to share.
    I just hope the new one will be visually appealing. I personally don't care for AHQ so I basically never use it.

We think you'll really like the layout and design of the new EA forums, and I look forward to sharing more of it soon.
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    This reminds me of when the TS1-2 shut down. Very bad memories. Much sadness. And it's especially sad that once again, people are going to be starting over with their stats.

You won't be starting from scratch necessarily. We will move content over so you'll start off with the stats that content gave you.
    IE: We move 400 posts of yours from here to the other forum that you've never used, you start with 400 posts attached to your name.
    LiELF wrote: »
    This news kind of breaks my heart. All of the picture threads from every pack release, the excitement threads from when Toddlers and Vampires came out and SimGuru Ninja was on here joking around with us, all of the deep discussions and humor and incredibly creative ideas, the nostalgic threads of the old Sims games...

You guys are killing me. It's the end of an era. 😭

Those threads will transfer over as they use BBCode to link pictures from external sites, which will be supported during the migration.
    Rob1992 wrote: »
    Oh, so we're really going through with wiping the legacy of the the old games of the map then? Only moving threads that had activity? So all of the old map threads will be removed. The discord isn't usable as a replacement due to awkward moderation and seems so far unlikely to be willing to add legacy channels, And slow moving legacy threads will be gone. If the forum actually only costs penny's to run, just set it to read only. That way you won't execute a community. Friendships are made here, and they usually don't survive moving platforms.

All threads since October 2022 with comment activity will be automatically moved, please see the nomination thread here for instructions on requesting older threads to be moved.
    Rob1992 wrote: »
    Will the EA forums be a chaotic mess of trying to contain a forum section of every EA franchise in existence present and past. Because trying to encompas everything in on e location seldom goes well? Will we have to vote or something to get new franchises added?

The forum will exist in much the same way that AHQ does, a single site with many hubs for different franchises that you won't see unless you actively seek them out.
    Simburian wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't lead to the mess that I had years ago leading me not able to access Sims 1 and 2 because my name and password weren't ported over because I hadn't got the message in time to choose new ones. I could only play 1 & Sims 2 with my old name and lost all the extra packs and stuff I had bought in the shop. Every time I played I had to add them all manually so I gave up. Helpers at EA couldn't understand what I was talking about because they only played the shoot-em-ups type of games, not Sims. It's still like that today.

Could EA/Maxis email Simmers to make sure everyone is told in time?

I'm not sure I follow your question, this change isn't anything to do with how you access your games, though we have community volunteers on AHQ for The Sims franchise like @Crinrict, @Puzzlezaddict, and @Bluebellflora; between them they can solve just about anything I've ever seen thrown at them. For what they can't resolve, @EA_Solaire and myself are there to assist as well.

This was way before they came along.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    I guess someone will have to get the Wayback Machine rolling! (but yeah, that may be a useful solution to certain content being lost, if one has time, no?)

I managed to find a lot of Sims pages on the Wayback machine. Even BBC information on The Sims and interviews with Will Wright etc. I registered there but even today there are some organisations that want to cancel stuff. They asked for support some time ago.

• Options
    Rawla wrote: »
    I appreciate your attitude.

I appreciate yours.
  • Options
    Holiday wrote: »
    @EA_Cade How do I go about updating my email address on here? It says I don't have permission. I already have an Answer HQ account with my email linked to my EA App account with all my Sims games, so I'd prefer to use that one. I think the matching email address account on these forums is banned (lol).

Shoot me a DM please!
  • Options
    EvvieSimmerEvvieSimmer Posts: 134 Member
    Wow.. this is so sad! I have been on these forums since practically the beginning so it's sad to see it closed and something else in its place. I'll dearly miss this place :( I'll deff be migrating over to the new forums once its time though, I just hope it operates in a similar way that these forums do
  • Options
    ChrinnieChrinnie Posts: 982 Member
    edited February 12
    So, is the current AHQ forums for Sims 4, which appears to be a rough duplicate structure of this one, going to be the new forum/become part of the EA Forums, or is that one also going to close down in favor of a new EA forum? I ask mainly because, in light of this news, if the current AHQ ones will remain in tact, might just be best to start posting there.... this way those of us who literally just came back here a few days ago don't get too attached to posting in here. Some threads not being around anymore leaves me kind of feeling the feels, but if they haven't been updated since before the pandemic, I get it.

I do like the idea of having answers and these forums (in some form) all in one place. Plus, to be frank, these forums are really old. I don't have to see the backend to see the duct tape, used chewing gum, and whatever was in that paste that Vlad brough over holding it together.

I also thank you for your work trying to save as much as you can from here. Most of my threads can bite the dust since I often never finish anything LOL.
    Author of: The Rossi Legacy | The Inheritance
    mW8spBr.png
    Philadelphia raised, Las Vegas living, avid Sims 4 fan, all around nice guy (if you ask me LOL)
  • Options
    Maven08094Maven08094 Posts: 126 Member
    now this stinks cause I just came back from the forums from 5 years and just post a forum for all my builds to share with links and pics, when they merge is my post going to be ok? do I need to start over again? :/
  • Options
    BrightFutureBrightFuture Posts: 1 New Member
    That's good news for the permanently banned members :)
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,311 Member
    I am quite surprised that we have been here for as long as we have given that the site has been not quite stabled as it once was due to it's age which is quite understandable. I have seen the site go through so many changes since 2014 when I first came over here from the old TS3 site.

Hopefully the new site will be just as good and exciting as this site was... <3
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,016 Member
    edited February 12
    Okay so couple ideas for additions since its new forum and all:

Can we add about me tab in profile page where we could write some stuff with maybe being able to add picture or 2?

so we could add links to thread or our gallery page or say put up picture of our legacy sims or whatever?

also could we maybe display our sim traits in profile or something fun like that?

but yeah I think being able to set our own profile pictures is most important for profile stuff because if everyones a same kind of picture it becomes very hard to tell people apart :sweat_smile:

speaking of which: will our usernames stay or will it switch to the Answers HQ/Gallery username?
    so used to calling my simself this and that gal what if my username is suddenly just zimzziyo again i can't really call her " vampireyo" or whatever can I and Zimzziwolf just sounds throughly cursed
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    speaking of which: will our usernames stay or will it switch to the Answers HQ/Gallery username?
    And here's a request for usernames to respect lowercase. I know it's a little nitpicky, but it always bothers me that my name is displayed wrong on AHQ.

I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,102 Member
    Bummer. I've been a part of the Sims forums since it was the Sims 2 site and just kept moving along. It's too bad there won't be a "Sims only" forum at all any more. Like someone else said, it's the end of an era.

On the plus side, I've already had an AHQ account with the same user name as my gallery one since 2008. Same avatar as this one too.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,016 Member
    edited February 12
    I know it’s a bit sad ‘n all but…let’s cut to the chase here: Who will be organizing the End of a Forum Party?!

Not me, I arrived long after the fall of the LOL button, nevertheless, I’d be more than happy to bring a couple of juice kegs and my precious Hip to the Max Cardboard Dancefloor to get this party started. We may as well go out with a bang.💥

What does one do at end of forum though?
    Should we have funeral? Everyone dress in Goth? I'm only wee toddler in forum age too (soon 5 years) so I am not really qualified as host either though
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,443 Member
    edited February 12
    This is not surprising. I saw this coming ever since the Sims discord was announced. I hope the new forum is better than Answers HQ.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Maven08094 wrote: »
    now this stinks cause I just came back from the forums from 5 years and just post a forum for all my builds to share with links and pics, when they merge is my post going to be ok? do I need to start over again? :/

Nope! Your thread will be migrated.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,694 Member
    I know it’s a bit sad ‘n all but…let’s cut to the chase here: Who will be organizing the End of a Forum Party?!

Not me, I arrived long after the fall of the LOL button, nevertheless, I’d be more than happy to bring a couple of juice kegs and my precious Hip to the Max Cardboard Dancefloor to get this party started. We may as well go out with a bang.💥

The Blue Moon can be open for just such an occaision.