The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,416 EA Community Manager
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Oh also: Can we change our profile picture to picture of our own on new forums or am I doomed to being particular picture of Vlad like in Answers HQ?

Stay tuned. We've got more to come on this but right now we are exploring ways to provide more options for choosing your avatar.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,082 Member
    edited February 12
    :bawling:
    cries in bbcode

The_Sims_-_a2o-tv1-watchcry-stand.gif

I really hope that new formatting is as easy to use but somehow I doubt it *sighs*
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,954 Member
    edited February 12
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    No images will be migrated? That's... bad.

Images here are mostly actually links (unless someone has upload permissions?). I'm guessing they might actually be transferrable. I really hope so. Time to go see how old that Glitches thread is...
    No images will be migrated? That's... bad.

Images here are mostly actually links (unless someone has upload permissions?). I'm guessing they might actually be transferrable. I really hope so. Time to go see how old that Glitches thread is...

I very much will be affected unfortunately.

The thing is that you can upload images directly to the forums: through the Activity tab. This is how I've done it all the time.

oqbrbqd8tdzv.png

Now I have to find time at some point during my university times to save those images for the new forums from every single comment I've made. Oh boy, I'm glad that at least we get that much time to get that sorted out.

Edit. Welp, I see I've made another one... I think I will leave out the image in this comment however.

Edit 2: Oh, I missed the updates. What exactly is Vanilla? Am I saved from that work?

Sorry,

Vanilla = these forums, they are hosted by a company called Vanilla Forums.

EA forums = the new forums coming in July.

AHQ = current forums located here.

Ah, as I suspected...

So, every picture I've uploaded through the Activity tab will be safe, right?
  • Options
    JAL wrote: »
    I see on the new page that you linked to that there is a rich text editor, but also a html option, so basically instead of BBcode we can use HTMLcode? But we can't post anything there until July?

I wonder about spoiler tags, will they work the same?

And just to clarify, If I have a thread started after October 22 it will be automatically migrated, but only posts that are posted before March of this year? Can I still post in this forum between March and July and migrate posts that are posted later than March over manually?

HTML on AHQ is limited for security reasons, but functional to a degree. I imagine this will be the same for EA forums.

Spoiler tags/blocks will be on the EA forums, they already exist on AHQ.

Any thread started after Oct 2022 that has has activity on it (comments) will be migrated automatically. You can "migrate" your own posts made after March 12th to AHQ by copy pasting the content of those posts but they won't be eligible for us to move.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    BearyBryBearyBry Posts: 88 Member
    Never seen anything about anyone having issues/problems with the forum, nor any sort of engagement with the users asking for what they'd like to see going forward (though admittedly I'm not hugely active on here so I may have missed it).
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,438 Member
    I don't know much about forum technology. Will we still be able to copy and insert an Imgur share code if we want to post a picture? And if the new forum works with the "comfort" and stability of the AHQ bug report templates, I will be sad.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,122 Member
    I just hope the new one will be visually appealing. I personally don't care for AHQ so I basically never use it.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 478 Member
    All I’m gonna say is that I hope this goes better than the gallery migration. Best of luck.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    wecantpickanamewecantpickaname Posts: 1,129 Member
    AHQ uses a different format but it is not impossible to make visually appealing. I do find it more convenient to have AHQ and forums together. People having issues with their games can get help all in one place. Bugs and issues in the game could have a greater chance of being reported with more people having access there.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Gosh I have mixed feelings, I guess if worse comes to worse I will be able to clear out all the pics on Imgur and start fresh bite the bullet and all .
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    All I’m gonna say is that I hope this goes better than the gallery migration. Best of luck.

So true!
  • Options
    Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 12
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    JAL wrote: »
    I see on the new page that you linked to that there is a rich text editor, but also a html option, so basically instead of BBcode we can use HTMLcode? But we can't post anything there until July?

I wonder about spoiler tags, will they work the same?

And just to clarify, If I have a thread started after October 22 it will be automatically migrated, but only posts that are posted before March of this year? Can I still post in this forum between March and July and migrate posts that are posted later than March over manually?

HTML on AHQ is limited for security reasons, but functional to a degree. I imagine this will be the same for EA forums.

Spoiler tags/blocks will be on the EA forums, they already exist on AHQ.

Any thread started after Oct 2022 that has has activity on it (comments) will be migrated automatically. You can "migrate" your own posts made after March 12th to AHQ by copy pasting the content of those posts but they won't be eligible for us to move.

Will the EA forums be a chaotic mess of trying to contain a forum section of every EA franchise in existence present and past. Because trying to encompas everything in on e location seldom goes well? Will we have to vote or something to get new franchises added?
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    I hope this doesn't lead to the mess that I had years ago leading me not able to access Sims 1 and 2 because my name and password weren't ported over because I hadn't got the message in time to choose new ones. I could only play 1 & Sims 2 with my old name and lost all the extra packs and stuff I had bought in the shop. Every time I played I had to add them all manually so I gave up. Helpers at EA couldn't understand what I was talking about because they only played the shoot-em-ups type of games, not Sims. It's still like that today.

Could EA/Maxis email Simmers to make sure everyone is told in time?
  • Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 337 Member
    edited February 12
    I guess someone will have to get the Wayback Machine rolling! (but yeah, that may be a useful solution to certain content being lost, if one has time, no?)
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Will there still be spoiler to collapse comments? Some post heavy picture comment and it creates soo much lag to open the thread

Yes, some version of a collapsible spoiler feature will be supported on the new site. We are not yet sure how your “spoilers” will look once migrated over, but you will be able to use this capability for new posts and replies on the new forums site.
    EgonVM wrote: »

Ah, as I suspected...

So, every picture I've uploaded through the Activity tab will be safe, right?

The Activity tab has no counterpart on AHQ, since people could post pretty much anything there we don't have a catch-all destination that makes sense for all of the content shared.
    Lecca wrote: »
    "In July 2024, The Sims Forums will be permanently closed and will no longer be accessible. Anyone trying to access The Sims Forums using the original URL will be redirected to The Sims section on the new EA forums site."

Sorry, does this mean that these forums will not even be archived? There will be no way of seeing anything that was posted on the forums prior to Oct. 22 that hasn't been migrated over? And it is our responsibility to figure out which threads over the past 14 years are worthy of saving?

I often have an issue in my game and the answer is found in a long ago discussion here on the forums. All of this knowledge and troubleshooting is simply going to be erased?

These Forums are my go to for sims news and discussions. I find discord and AHQ to be difficult to navigate and follow. Really hoping these new forums do not follow the AHQ interface.

We knew something was up with the forums a few months ago when it stopped appearing in google searches but were assured that the forums were not going anywhere and now they're being eliminated. Just majorly bummed overall by this news.

The forums poor search engine optimization was just one of many, many reasons this decision was made. A bigger reason for the closure would be the features we keep losing due to the age of the platform, For example: Tweet embeds just stopped working due to an outdated security feature, and we can't get them back. There isn't really a way to sugarcoat this, these forums are old, practically ancient in technology terms. If you could see all of the duct tape holding this place together on the backend, perhaps you could get an idea of why we're using this opportunity to build out a brand new forum instead with the features we want you to have, in an environment where we can control how issues are addressed and fixed, and that we can upgrade over time.
    I don't know much about forum technology. Will we still be able to copy and insert an Imgur share code if we want to post a picture? And if the new forum works with the "comfort" and stability of the AHQ bug report templates, I will be sad.

You can upload images directly to AHQ via the Photo editor. You can see what the new EA forums photo options will look like here for now, until we have more to share.
    I just hope the new one will be visually appealing. I personally don't care for AHQ so I basically never use it.

We think you'll really like the layout and design of the new EA forums, and I look forward to sharing more of it soon.
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    This reminds me of when the TS1-2 shut down. Very bad memories. Much sadness. And it's especially sad that once again, people are going to be starting over with their stats.

You won't be starting from scratch necessarily. We will move content over so you'll start off with the stats that content gave you.
    IE: We move 400 posts of yours from here to the other forum that you've never used, you start with 400 posts attached to your name.
    LiELF wrote: »
    This news kind of breaks my heart. All of the picture threads from every pack release, the excitement threads from when Toddlers and Vampires came out and SimGuru Ninja was on here joking around with us, all of the deep discussions and humor and incredibly creative ideas, the nostalgic threads of the old Sims games...

You guys are killing me. It's the end of an era. 😭

Those threads will transfer over as they use BBCode to link pictures from external sites, which will be supported during the migration.
    Rob1992 wrote: »
    Oh, so we're really going through with wiping the legacy of the the old games of the map then? Only moving threads that had activity? So all of the old map threads will be removed. The discord isn't usable as a replacement due to awkward moderation and seems so far unlikely to be willing to add legacy channels, And slow moving legacy threads will be gone. If the forum actually only costs penny's to run, just set it to read only. That way you won't execute a community. Friendships are made here, and they usually don't survive moving platforms.

All threads since October 2022 with comment activity will be automatically moved, please see the nomination thread here for instructions on requesting older threads to be moved.
    Rob1992 wrote: »
    Will the EA forums be a chaotic mess of trying to contain a forum section of every EA franchise in existence present and past. Because trying to encompas everything in on e location seldom goes well? Will we have to vote or something to get new franchises added?

The forum will exist in much the same way that AHQ does, a single site with many hubs for different franchises that you won't see unless you actively seek them out.
    Simburian wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't lead to the mess that I had years ago leading me not able to access Sims 1 and 2 because my name and password weren't ported over because I hadn't got the message in time to choose new ones. I could only play 1 & Sims 2 with my old name and lost all the extra packs and stuff I had bought in the shop. Every time I played I had to add them all manually so I gave up. Helpers at EA couldn't understand what I was talking about because they only played the shoot-em-ups type of games, not Sims. It's still like that today.

Could EA/Maxis email Simmers to make sure everyone is told in time?

I'm not sure I follow your question, this change isn't anything to do with how you access your games, though we have community volunteers on AHQ for The Sims franchise like @Crinrict, @Puzzlezaddict, and @Bluebellflora; between them they can solve just about anything I've ever seen thrown at them. For what they can't resolve, @EA_Solaire and myself are there to assist as well.

Post edited by EA_Cade on
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 564 Member
    I feel so sad about this.

Over the years when I lurked on this forum | (before I had the courage to actually join in) I was always looking up things about the game from old threads, and I learnt so much — about different play styles, about different ideas for the game I’d never have thought of myself, about the content of all the packs, and so much more. I can’t believe that pretty much all that content will just be lost, gone, for ever, and I won’t have access to it any more. I’m glad I did have it for that time.

I’m sure I’ll learn to navigate the new forums eventually. I do hope the visual appearance improves because I don’t find AHQ visually attractive right now. But I shall miss this space.
  • Options

Over the years when I lurked on this forum | (before I had the courage to actually join in) I was always looking up things about the game from old threads, and I learnt so much — about different play styles, about different ideas for the game I’d never have thought of myself, about the content of all the packs, and so much more. I can’t believe that pretty much all that content will just be lost, gone, for ever, and I won’t have access to it any more. I’m glad I did have it for that time.

I’m sure I’ll learn to navigate the new forums eventually. I do hope the visual appearance improves because I don’t find AHQ visually attractive right now. But I shall miss this space.

I think we can be sure that also the new forum will be filled with tons of new interesting content in no time.
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,992 Member
    It was definitely fun to interact with other Simmers and read their stories! So it’ll be a shame to lose the forums in that sense. But I’ll probably get used to the new forums… ah well. I’ve got all my screenshots in my screenshots folder.
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,699 Member

So, dig back into those old posts that inspired you and nominate them to be migrated. That's why they're giving us the chance to do just that.

If you nominate 2 or 10 or 100 threads you feel are important at least some of them will be saved, and that's better than losing everything.

Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 564 Member
    edited February 12

So, dig back into those old posts that inspired you and nominate them to be migrated. That's why they're giving us the chance to do just that.

If you nominate 2 or 10 or 100 threads you feel are important at least some of them will be saved, and that's better than losing everything.

Yes, I know that. I’m not talking about threads that I followed, so much as threads where I just looked something up or read for a bit and they helped or inspired me at that time in my game. I couldn’t possibly remember what they all are now. I’m truly glad that many of the great threads can be nominated here and therefore brought over, but there will still be a lot of ‘random’ threads that are lost.

• Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,699 Member

Yes, I know that. I’m not talking about threads that I followed, so much as threads where I just looked something up or read for a bit and they helped or inspired me at that time in my game. I couldn’t possibly remember what they all are now. I’m truly glad that many of the great threads can be nominated here and therefore brought over, but there will still be a lot of ‘random’ threads that are lost.

You're going to get me musing about the ephemeral nature of knowledge, the loss of the Library of Alexandria and the pen-scratchings of medieval scholars trying to preserve surviving fragments of ancient texts. :)
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls