Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building Tombs! Guest Lecturer: Lissykin! ViewAll Lessons Now! (see post 1)

Comments

• Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    Not sure what your time is, Msred, but I believe the class will be in approximately 5 1/2 hours from now for me... it is 9:30 a.m. my time.

Now that I post this, guess I had better go back and check for sure, and not assume it is the same time as last week. :D
  • Options
    LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,794 Member
    edited August 2012
    2 1/2 hours until class time! :D
    I thought I would do things a little different this time, and layout the class in parts, then allow for questions. I'm doing this hoping that it will flow better when class is over. Hopefully this will make it easier for those that can't be live with us. :)

@P-pup: I mix up my days quite often - happy you could make it!

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Lesson Two, Part One: Hole in Wall

Hi! Welcome back to those of you that were here last week, and to those of you that are new, it’s good to have you!

Last week I introduced torches, secret doors and a basic floor plate. Today I’d like to start with the Hole in the Wall.

Special Note: To make it easier to bounce between testing and setting, thanks to ZooProfessor3’s suggestion, I would recommend using the testingcheatsenabled true cheat, taking your simmie to the lot, and then using the shift key anywhere on said lot and selecting Buy on Lot. Thanks Zoo!!

To get us all looking at the same thing, please have your game running and have the Forgotten Sepulchre loaded. If you followed all the steps for last week, then this week should be set up and ready to go.
    I wanted to note that there are several different options in the menus when we click on them. They all serve different functions, and in an effort to stay concise and not confuse anyone, I won’t be commenting on them unless you have a specific question. I will elaborate on more of them during the 'sundries' portion of the lessons.

Okay!
    First, let’s open the cheat window by entering ctrl+shift+c. Next open it again and enter testingcheatsenabled true. Open it one more time and enter buydebug. Now go to the ? menu tab. Select the tomb section. The item we want is the Small Hole in the Wall.

TB2Image1HoleinWall.png

Now that you’ve selected it, find a placement that works for you. I’m going to put it to the right of the secret door.

TB2Image2PlacedHole.png

Now that we’ve done that, we’re going to set the trigger.

Remember to set the Link Trigger, then the Activated Behavior.

Ctrl+shift+click the hole in the wall. Select Hide:

TB2Image2HideHoleinWall.png

Now shift+click the floor plate, Select Link Triggers, then Step On:

TB2Image4LinkTriggersFloorPlate.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the Hole in the Wall and select Link Triggers and then Hidden Switch:

TB2Image5LinkTriggers.png

TB2Image3HiddenSwitch.png

Now ctrl+shift+click the secret door and select Link to Activated Behavior and Open:

TB2Image6LinktoActivatedBehaviors.png

TB2Image7Open.png

Now the door will open once the Hidden Switch is found.
    This is an excellent spot to use your tester simmie to make sure everything is functioning as intended.
    So here’s a recap in case you have to start over (this includes bits from lesson one):

1. ctrl+shift+click the floor plate. Link Triggers, Step On.
    2. ctrl+shift+click the secret door, Link to Activated Behavior, Unhide
    3. ctrl+shift+click the Hole, Hide
    4. ctrl+shift+click the Floor Plate, Link Triggers, Step On
    5. ctrl+shift+click the Hole, Link Triggers, Hidden Switch
    6. ctrl+shift+click the secret door, Link Activated Behaviors, Open

That’s all there is to setting a hole in the wall.

If the Link Trigger isn't appearing for you try this:
    1. ctrl+shift+click the floor plate. Link Triggers, Step On.
    2. ctrl+shift+click the secret door, Link to Activated Behavior, Unhide
    3. ctrl+shift+click the Hole, Hide
    4. ctrl+shift+click the Floor Plate, Link Triggers, Step On
    5. ctrl+shift+click the Hole, Link Activated Behaviors, Reveal
    6. ctrl+shift+click the Hole, Link Triggers, Hidden Switch
    7. ctrl+shift+click the secret door, Link Activated Behaviors, Open

*Thanks P-Pup for helping with step 5!!*
    Always remember:
    First Link Trigger, then Activate Behavior

Alrighty, that's part one! Please let me know if you have any questions before we move on. Thank you!!

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Reserved for Lesson Two, Part Two: Dive Wells

Now we are going to the basement! Your hearty explorer should now be in the basement. The plan here is to place another trigger and behavior to help us find another hidden part of the tomb. A fun way to get your adventurer there is with the Dive Wells.
    Let’s go swimming!
    First, we are going to select the Dive Well in the tomb section of the ? Buy menu.

TB2Part2Image1DiveWell.png

Now, place the dive well anywhere in this unfinished basement area of the tomb:

TB2Part2Image2PlacedDiveWell.png

Great! Now we need somewhere for the dive well to lead to. Go ahead and open the build menu and select the basement tool. Create a new basement to the side of the original that is 6x9:

TB2Part2Image3Basement6x9.png

Don’t worry about any decor, flooring or wall coverings at this point, we’ll do that at the very end.
    We’re now ready to place the second Dive Well in the newly created basement. Return to Buy Mode, open the ? Menu and select the Dive Well and plop it in basement two:

TB2Part2Image4Place2ndDiveWell.png

Now for the fun part. Go to the first Dive Well and ctrl+shift+click. Select Change this Well’s Name:

TB2Image8NamingFirstWell.png

For the sake of uniformity, let’s call it Well 1.

TB2Part2Image5NameWell1.png

Now ctrl+shift+click again and select Make this an uber warp well:

TB2Part2Image6Makeanuberwarpwell.png

It will queue another menu asking for Destination Well Name. We’ll say Well 2.

TB2Part2Image7DestinationWell2.png

Now we’ll go to the second well and do pretty much the exact same thing.
    Ctrl+shift+click the second well. Select Name this Well:

TB2Part2Image10NameDiveWell2.png

ctrl+shift+click Make this an uber warp well:

TB2Part2Image8makeanuberwell.png

It will again queue another menu asking for Destination Well Name. We’ll say Well 1 this time.

TB2Part2ImageDestinationWell1.png

Perfect. Now when your tester simmie jumps into the well , a message will come up prompting the player to decide whether or not to explore further. Of course we’re going to explore!

Return to live mode. I always change my clothes to swimwear (you don't have to do that), then explore away!

TB2Part2Image11Explore.png

TB2Part2Image12SwimThroughTunnel.png

TB2Part2Image13SuccessfulExplorenowinWell2.png

Success!

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Reserved for Lesson Two, Part Three: Keys and Treasure Chests

To make all that swimming and exploring through icky tunnels worth it, let’s set up some keystones that lead to treasure chests. :)

Just because this is the sort of thing that happens to me in game, I've decided to just go for it soooo...
    Back to build mode we go!

If you're using your tester simmie, just shift+click anywhere on the floor near Well 2 and select Build on this Lot.
    Make the basement larger by an additional 6x5 and then make a wall:

TB2Part3Image1.png

Next choose a door. I’m going to use the Tomb Passage Deluxe by TombTech. Make sure the arrows are facing towards the wall:

TB2Part3Image3TombTechDoorPlaced.png

Now return to buy mode and select the ? menu. Then the tomb section, and finally choose the Keystone Panel:

TB2Part3Image2.png

It’s a little dark in here, so I’m going to place a few lights. Go to Buy mode, and choose some lights. To keep down confusion for future explorers, I’m just using a regular light rather than a classic torch that can accept behaviors.

TB2Part3Image5Lettherebelight.png

Much better! I placed these Belsim Torches with my decorating ideas in mind. Now select the ? menu and choose the Tomb Room Marker and place it in the empty room:

TB2Part3Image3aTombRoomMarkerPlaced.png

I’m now going to select the keystone from the ? menu and place it between the two torches that are one square apart:

TB2Part3Image6PlacedKeystone.png

Ctrl+shift+click the keystone. Select the shape. I’m choosing the star for now.
    (Sorry, no image for this) :oops:

Now, ctrl+shift+c on the door and select Lock:

TB2Part3Image7aLocktheDoor.png

Set the keystone panel shape to match. Ctrl+shift+click the Keystone Panel, and select Set Shape, then Star:

TB2Part3Image7SetKeystoneshapetoStar.png

Ctrl+shift+click the keystone panel and Link Triggers….Insert Keystone.

TB2Part3Image9LinkTriggersInsertKeystone.png

Ctrl+shift+click the door again and select Add the ability to Add Triggers and Activated Behaviors:

TB2Part3Image8Addabilitytoaddtriggersandactivatedbehaviors.png

Ctrl+shift+click the door again and Link to Activated Behaviors: Unlock.

TB2Part3Image9aUnlock.png

Now you can see that the door requires the Star Keystone in order to unlock.

TB2Part3Image10RequiresKeystone.png

Go ahead and test it out. It should unlock and when you click the door you will receive the option to Go Through Door. Do it! :D

Last but not least, let’s give the sim something good to find in that back room! Please shift+click on the ground and go back into buy mode. Now we’re going to select the treasure chest from the tomb section of the ? menu, place it and ctrl+shift+click on it, selecting Set Treasure Chest Info. Currently Set To:

TB2Part4Image1PlaceTreasureChestSetOneTimetreasureinfo.png

The next menu that pops up, please set it to 1 Item (please note that there are loads of choices for this portion so you can customize it in various ways):

TB2Part4Image2SelecttheAmountofTreasureintheChest.png

Next you will ctrl+shift+click the chest again, this time selecting the Treasure component…Gem High Value:
    Note: There are so many choices here, for the lesson I'm choosing the one that appealed to me, but please take a moment to look through the options and select one that you'd like to find.)

TB2Part4Image3SetonetimetreasuretoGemHighValue.png

My simmie found a Crystal Ball Cut Rainbow Gem! :mrgreen:

TB2Part4Image4LookwhatIfound.png

All that’s left is to test. If all went well, your work is done for this week. :D
    Great job everyone! I hope you had fun!

Next week I’ll be teaching Part 3: Statues, Processors, Fog Emitters and Sundries.

Hope to see you again. :mrgreen:

• Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited August 2012
    Just letting you know I'm here, hope you are feeling better lissykin :)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks, Sharon! :) I'm getting there. These things are like waves, they ebb for a bit but ever present.

Time to begin! :D

If all you lovely students would please load up your games, I'll post the first portion of lesson 2 above in the 'reserved' post.

Thanks for being here! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JediArielJediAriel Posts: 4,870 Member
    edited August 2012
    Hi Lissy! I'm here, too! *Squish* :D
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2012
    WHOOT! Excited!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    JediAriel! Yay! Zoo, Yay!

Glad you both could make it despite feeling icky. I hope you both feel better soon!

I've posted the first bit above, so in a few minutes I'll 'dive in'. LOL Sorry for the pun, I couldn't resist. lol
  • Options
    mwjessica723mwjessica723 Posts: 3,769 Member
    edited August 2012
    I'm here!! Hi, Professor Lissy! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm here too, just being quiet. *snort* :mrgreen:

And waiting for the hole in the wall, as opposed to the one in my head.
  • Options
    MsrednotdeadMsrednotdead Posts: 9,215 Member
    edited August 2012
    so sorry got caught up in x-factor
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    LOL Glad to see you Jess and P-pup AND msred!! :D

I'm going to just keep going with the lesson, adding a little more every few minutes to the same post. Please refresh the page to see what I've done.

Thank you for your patience while I try this method out. :)
  • Options
    mwjessica723mwjessica723 Posts: 3,769 Member
    edited August 2012
    Sounds great, Lissy! Also, FYI, my computer froze (not just the game, but the entire computer) so I had to do a hard shut down. Should be in game again in a few minutes! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Question, Lissy. Is it shift-click on your computer or control shift-click? Because only adding the control makes it work for me.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Already having a problem. My 2nd shift + click on the Hole... I do not have the option to Link Triggers. As in Link Triggers does not appear. Doh!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    @JA: Yes, it is shift click *embarrassed sigh* Fixing in the main directions.

@P-Pup: That means that the order was borked some where along the line. Try resetting all the traps with the floor plate, door, and switch and try again. There're condensed instructions at the end. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I also don't see the Link Triggers pathway.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Will do, I remember the way... will let you know.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    @JA: Have you already reset everything and started from scratch? If it still doesn't work I'm not sure why, give me a minute to recreate it in my game. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Tried several times. I think I'm lost. Just go on ahead. I'll figure it out eventually! :oops:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    How is it going for you all? Were you able to get it to work? I just ran through it several times, and I'm unable to recreate the problem. I'm so sorry! I have all my fingers and toes crossed that its working.

Once everyone is comfortable and ready to move on, I'll start editing the next post for the second part; let me know how you're doing. :D

I'm really sorry its giving you trouble, JA. Come to me after class and I'll go through it step by step with you to figure out why its acting up on you. *hugs*
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It's been quiet for a minute, so I'll start posting the second part. Just a few minutes and I'll have it together. Thank you!
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2012
    Lissy,

You can go ahead and post the rest of your lesson when you are ready and then people will get to the different parts as they get to them and will ask you if they get stuck.

When I used this method, I just posted everything and then waited for questions as some people were faster and some slower. I DID get questions on a variety of different parts of the lesson because of that. That was okay with me, but if you don't want that then you may not want to post it all at once.

Zoo
    oow785m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top