Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smarten up TS4

Comments

• Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Nehemiahxx wrote: »
    A grandmother in a household I played recognized and remembered a sim who had cheated on her daughter and would be angry whenever she saw him. Why can't the Sims now do that?
    This statement right here is 1 of the many things that bug me. Why in just the second version of the game can this happen but here in 2018 ts 4, sims are oblivious to others past actions. We need some kind of long term memory system. I agree the graphics in TS4 are just stunning. That's a huge draw for me and probably the main reason why I don't just go back to playing ts2. Now with Seasons coming back, I will most likely purchase and play again.. for all of a day or so until my sims remind me of why I always stop playing. They can add all the Ep's, GP's & SP's there are to make, if the sims themselves are broken, the game will never be as good as it can/should be.

giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    tonicmoletonicmole Posts: 121 Member
    The infrastructure exists in Sims 4 to create intelligent Sims it's just not utilized. All Sims instantly go play on the computer, or go play Horseshoes. There is no diversity it what activities a Sim chooses because they used a simplistic one size fits all system for attracting Sims to certain objects. They are also 99% oblivious to the world around them which is why when a Sim begins preparing a meal, the others will go get a snack out of the fridge. Maxis didn't apply a trigger alerting Sims that another Sim was performing an activity. This simple system would have dramatically improved the AI. If two Sims are in the same room they should know what is happening. For instance "That Sim just went into the bathroom. I won't barge in." or "That Sim is preparing a meal. I'll wait." or "My spouse just went to bed. I'll join them." or "My teen age son is making out with his girl friend, that's inappropriate!" However they did manage to apply triggers in the dumbest ways. For instance, your Sim goes over to their boy friends house, and begins cooking him a meal....here he comes saying, "That's inappropriate! If you keep that up you'll have to leave!" REALLY!? That's the one thing Maxis decided was important? Let's say that was in any way useful, why still does it ignore relationship status!? Sims are completely oblivious unless they can verbally assault someone. :neutral:
    What's the deal with the creepy Sim in the yellow shirt, and glasses? The one right up there! I'm guessing what ever he is it starts with "serial".
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    My sim was talking to a friend saying nice stuff about that sim's daughter, and she answered "I'd love to meet her" ??
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    My sim was secretly kissing with a guy from work and immediately after got a message from her boyfriend (who had never met the colleague): “I’m so glad you and X are getting along, he’s a great guy” (or something along those lines). That’s not the sim being aware something happening, the game was aware and triggered the message. And did something pretty hard to follow with the event.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited May 2018
    tonicmole wrote: »
    The infrastructure exists in Sims 4 to create intelligent Sims it's just not utilized. All Sims instantly go play on the computer, or go play Horseshoes. There is no diversity it what activities a Sim chooses because they used a simplistic one size fits all system for attracting Sims to certain objects. They are also 99% oblivious to the world around them which is why when a Sim begins preparing a meal, the others will go get a snack out of the fridge. Maxis didn't apply a trigger alerting Sims that another Sim was performing an activity. This simple system would have dramatically improved the AI. If two Sims are in the same room they should know what is happening. For instance "That Sim just went into the bathroom. I won't barge in." or "That Sim is preparing a meal. I'll wait." or "My spouse just went to bed. I'll join them." or "My teen age son is making out with his girl friend, that's inappropriate!" However they did manage to apply triggers in the dumbest ways. For instance, your Sim goes over to their boy friends house, and begins cooking him a meal....here he comes saying, "That's inappropriate! If you keep that up you'll have to leave!" REALLY!? That's the one thing Maxis decided was important? Let's say that was in any way useful, why still does it ignore relationship status!? Sims are completely oblivious unless they can verbally assault someone. :neutral:

I like this answer - I didn't necessarily read the whole two page thread, but you said:
    Maxis didn't apply a trigger alerting...
    and so on.

The jury is out on exactly what the shortcomings are - ie there is a whole ton of speculation and rumour; however, having Simmers who kind of get how something is achievable or can be achievable is better than have 2,000 Simmers who are arguing/demanding something with no idea of how it is going to be achieved.

ie, this is probably true:
    Because this game was supposed to be online, with players doing the parts and not NPCs, so they had to hastily add into the base game the NPC coding, multitasking, emotions, ETC.
    and so on.

Understanding the logic of how and why anything could be achieved is good.
    Maxis didn't apply a trigger alerting Sims that another Sim was performing an activity.
    It does so much, because it is so basic - Sims and their 'musical chairs'; toddler and highchairs, etc.

AI blockers.

You shut those suckers down and make them behave.

It's been discussed before.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    ie to smarten AI, you don't necessarily have to add AI - you can block it at certain points and it will appear to become smarter.

No effort required, other than to figuring out the joys of blocking it, when you might want to and why that might be so great.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    They pretty much false advertised sims 4 sims as smarter sims but quickly drop it when it became evident that they weren't. If they are so smart, they wouldn't be doing pushups in the middle of the street/sidewalk.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    edited May 2018
    Sims 4 has very few game-play SYSTEMS game-play Objects is what we get, Ever stopped all those annoying behaviors not controlled sims will just stand there or fined an object you didn't block hehe. The only real Gp system the game has came with GT obliviously :)
    edit meant GT not GTW
    Post edited by geoffreypa on
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I wouldn't say I have ever considered any Sims in any of their games all that smart.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2018
    I wish they would rework their interaction ai system for this game. It's a total mess. Sims don't interact at all as they should according to their traits and relationships. There's obvious AI programming problems with this game compared to previous games.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I have ever considered any Sims in any of their games all that smart.
    One can wonder if a Sims game is better of with sims that are really smart, in a way that they’d take care of themselves completely and make important decisions. I wouldn’t want that personally because that would soon become too scripted for a game. I think however in this case people rather mean sims reacting to each other and remembering events. At least for a while. The other games did have that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    Love all the points being made on this thread. So true!

I love the Sims 4 and have had lots of fun with it, but I have definitely noticed inconsistencies. It's always awesome when when one sim calls another to hang out, and, during that interaction, the option of "exchange numbers" shows up. Always make me laugh. Guess one of the sims was creepin on the Internet to get the others number?!

The other thing that's oddly funny is how quickly they can go from extreme foes to frenemies to good friends. Next time I find someone who doesn't like me, I'm going to tell a joke about monkeys, brighten their day, debate existence of vampires, and then polish it all off with a knock knock joke. Instant besties :smiley:
  • Options
    Tried playing again last night but got frustrated.. 2 sims that are enemies shouldn't be able to joke around with each other over ice cream or play on the slip & slide together like bffs. There needs to be more distinction between 'nice' &'mean' sims. All my stories are pretty much the same because of how alike all my sims are. It makes for a very redundant game.
    IMO there is a general over kill of Happy go lucky, everything's ducky in the game and it should be toned down a bit to make room for more drama and better stories.
    Sims need to remember deaths, who they are related to. They should love their friends & hate their enemies. A single red bar showing my sim is upset just isn't enough, I want to see a real reaction.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    There are times I just think to myself why do I bother? TS3 was more fun to play than TS4. Now the gameplay is FAR too easy, there is no real consequence if something goes wrong like when a sim proposed in TS3 both sims had to be in a good mood to say yes or they would say no and mood would take a hit but now it doesn't matter the sim will always say yes.

It seems they are focusing more on the ability to build then real gameplay, just look at the flatness that is Winter in TS4 Seasons! It is no different than white paint! They say how far technology has come to allow all this to happen but it seems they only want to focus on one thing more than the other. Most of us are asking for open neighborhoods instead of open world but I don't think that will happen anytime soon but it would make a huge difference (for me at least as I hate the loading screen when my house is right next door!).

I don't know if is just me but it really feels like we get such a little amount of objects and gameplay in TS4 compared to TS3 or TS2 and it is such a shame! All the things they could have done for the game but just don't seem to be happening. I seem to be playing TS3 more now and I find it so much better and more enjoyable.

I could go on about the things I miss from the other TS games and understand about wanting this game to be a little different compared to the others but I think they are missing so much. I wish they would focus a little bit on gameplay for now then come back to building again later.
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sims 4 is a lie this is why a lot of people are disappointed.

Adverts : Play with Life / Reality : Play their Life
    Adverts: Emotions makes the Sims 4 smarter than the previous generations / Reality : Emotions makes the Sims 4 plummer than the previous generations.

The game is still playable but the heart doesn't beat anymore.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    @ManakoHime Ohh Please don't get me started on the white paint snow. How lazy does that look!?
    giphy.gif

• Options
    @SarahsShady I know! I am so sad about it as Winter is my fave time of year so I can only hope that the other seasons will make up for the white paint laziness!
  • Options
    @Simsophonique could not have said it any better! The heart really doesn't beat anymore.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Thank you for this. I also wish Sims had actual personality instead just traits. My loner sim doesn't act like a loner, he just gets a negative moodlet around other sims. When he's at a party or interacting he should be shying away and quieter instead of being just as lively and animated as the outgoing Sim talking to him.

In short, I wish their traits affected their behavior/body language/reactions to other Sims and events, as opposed to their emotional state. I wish a
  • Options
    My sim got a text from one of her friends saying "I heard about your recent friendship with Hailey....." Hailey is my sim's sister....
    Also my sims got a text from their dog about curfew.....I know he's a smart dog, but texting ? :D It's funny though.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    My sim got a text from one of her friends saying "I heard about your recent friendship with Hailey....." Hailey is my sim's sister....
    Also my sims got a text from their dog about curfew.....I know he's a smart dog, but texting ? :D It's funny though.

Now, see, that's the kind of glitch that should have never made it out of the studio. No one thought to make sure that pets and babies weren't part of the phone pool?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited June 2018
    ManakoHime wrote: »
    @Simsophonique could not have said it any better! The heart really doesn't beat anymore.

@ManakoHime : I wish the feeling different. Nonetheless the positive/strong points this game has and sometimes it surprise me nicely, about the sims personality themselves, if I focused on them, I have the feeling I don't have the freedom to choose and the personalities are very poor.Sims 4 never has something to say because their personality only obeys to the emotions they feel in the moment of the action. The traits are not deeper. I see my sims, they are "flat". I have no emotions playing them. I just play remote controlled people.

Sims 3 to make a short comparision, I know them because I am a gameplayer for years. There are contradiction , a friendly sims can be a loner if you disable of course the autonomy for the active sims and let the others wild and free and their personalities are deeper than the traits. I always learn something from them despite the repetition of their behaviours. Just to look at their facial expression, their behaviour in society you can speak hours of their personalities and what I guess is often right I found the behaviours or wishes or their personalities I guessed when I play with them as active household. This is so crazy.

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    So my teenage girls sims were fighting with each other for Neighborhood Brawl day and their father was....cheering ! Awesome parenting.......
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Yeah... it really annoys the plum out of me too that after fighting they go into a casual conversation. Aren't you supposed to be mad at that sim?