Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smarten up TS4

Comments

• Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    I guess disciplining children is optional in case you wanted to make your sims spoiled little brats...Which is okay. I guess. There are many ways to play the game. I tried getting all the character values of my sim kid in the red once and it was fun. Would be a lot harder if sim parents were programmed to always discipline bad behavior autonomously.

Could you not say that about any behavior though? "Using the treadmill is optional in case you don't want to build athletic skills." "Reading the skill book is optional in case you don't want to build that skill." "Going to work is optional in case you want the Sim to be fired."

All these things, a Sim will do autonomously. And all can be turned off if you want to have that kind of direct control of your Sim. With autonomy on, it seems like they should autonomously react in a reasonable way to things happening right in front of them. I mean after all, most people would consider it bad parenting if someone is just sitting there watching TV letting their toddler run wild... but my Sim can do that and there is no "hit" to their parenting skill nor even much reaction at all except maybe a moodlet.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    AshBoogie wrote: »
    Does anybody know why they opted out of the online gameplay? Tbh I would've preferred that version than what we have now. I always dreamed of playing Sims with other players, I wish they could've added that as an option.

They were experiencing massive connectivity problems at the testing stage.

Then Sim City 2013 happened (a similar type of game to the TS4 at that time, co-op online gameplay), its first months gave EA an idea of how TS4's as an online game launch would most likely look like, and they decided to scrap the online part of 4 and turn it into a single player experience only. This was all confirmed by Frank Gibeau.

If you're interested in more details I recommend checking out this thread http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/858721/leaked-early-gameplay-of-the-sims-4-new-information/p1

Just don't post in it as necroposting is against forum rules :)
    AshBoogie wrote: »
    Does anybody know why they opted out of the online gameplay? Tbh I would've preferred that version than what we have now. I always dreamed of playing Sims with other players, I wish they could've added that as an option.

The community was never given any straight answers on that. What we know has been pieced together from different sources.

The first instance of TS4’s online past surfaced when a former Maxis employee uploaded some concept work on his website, and then went on somewhat of a Q&A bender. From him we learned the game was online until late 2012, and was unpopular with the developers. He says quality was the deciding factor, as the entire game was built to be loaded over the internet.

After Sims 4 was abruptly announced in 2013 an EA executive delivered a slightly contradictory statement saying Sims 4 would be made offline after the negative reactions to SimCity. SimCity had severe connection issues leaving players unable to load the game at all for weeks after launch. This is only contradictory because the former employee said the swap happened in 2012, but the EA exec said it was the result of SC which didn’t release until March 2013.

Being completely honest, Sims 4 as an online game would more than likely disappoint. SimCity’s multiplayer consisted of visiting neighbor cities (couldn’t do anything on these visits) and sending/receiving resources; the latter wasn’t even an instant thing it took like half an hour real world time to be delivered. Seeing how both of the games were developed at the same time under the same leadership at Maxis they probably shared that low-level multiplayer experience. The push for online from Maxis was always an anti-piracy thing and never a benefit to the player. This was exposed a few weeks after SC launched and the studios statements kept being contradicted by the game they released.

For those who still wonder why people like myself are so vehemently opposed to online being added to the sims series, the above posts should give you some idea.
    raw
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    That discussion the link to the old thread gave was most illuminating. It answered a lot of questions and confirmed many of my suspicions, that a log (most?) of the problems we continue to have are a result of the game's online roots and that this version was not intended to be an honest free play game as we had in past versions. One wonders if what we get for TS5 (if we get it) will be the original idea for TS4 as a stand alone.
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    WAS there an original idea for TS4 as a stand-alone? Or were they exclusively developing TS4 as online until told not to?
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I guess disciplining children is optional in case you wanted to make your sims spoiled little brats...Which is okay. I guess. There are many ways to play the game. I tried getting all the character values of my sim kid in the red once and it was fun. Would be a lot harder if sim parents were programmed to always discipline bad behavior autonomously.

Could you not say that about any behavior though? "Using the treadmill is optional in case you don't want to build athletic skills." "Reading the skill book is optional in case you don't want to build that skill." "Going to work is optional in case you want the Sim to be fired."

All these things, a Sim will do autonomously. And all can be turned off if you want to have that kind of direct control of your Sim. With autonomy on, it seems like they should autonomously react in a reasonable way to things happening right in front of them. I mean after all, most people would consider it bad parenting if someone is just sitting there watching TV letting their toddler run wild... but my Sim can do that and there is no "hit" to their parenting skill nor even much reaction at all except maybe a moodlet.

Having read your reply to someone else on this thread I agree that sims' reactions in this iteration are a joke. I detest it that my sim gets sad after witnessing their partner cheating instead of making a scene. Only sims with the jealous trait get angry I believe, which to me doesn't make sense. I also think sims should seek out the one who constantly leaves dirty dishes around the house and start an argument with them instead of just whining about their discomfort all day until you get rid of the mess. Nothing about sim personalities is right and that's because we have two systems that determine a sim's personality that are completely incompatible with each other. That's too much for one game. The worst design choice they could go with.

I do however think it's a bit different in Parenthood's case. It's only fair for a DLC about parenting to give you options to be a good AND a bad parent. As much as I enjoy my sims making the "right" choice autonomously, I'll always be for options.

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2018
    WAS there an original idea for TS4 as a stand-alone? Or were they exclusively developing TS4 as online until told not to?

At some point in TS4's development it was also meant to be just like the console games, or TS2 PC Stories, where there was a story mode and a creative mode. That's why Sylvan Glade and the secret lot in Oasis Springs were there, because they were part of the story. This was actual official information released to us. There are also early UI mock ups with these modes on them.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited July 2018

Has I was saying above. the sims 4 was originally planned as a online game.

here

https://simsvip.com/2017/05/10/olympus-ui-multiplayer-code-found-sims-4-engine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx-pgwMYew

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Elegantblkchina1Elegantblkchina1 Posts: 103 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    Evil_One wrote: »

Because this game was supposed to be online, with players doing the parts and not NPCs, so they had to hastily add into the base game the NPC coding, multitasking, emotions, ETC.

The result is a hollow shell of a game.

You can thank anyone who still wants the Sims to be online.

Exactly this.

These Sims weren't meant to have personalities, the player was supposed to provide that.

This makes so much sense now. The thing that bothers me THE most is the lack of personality in this game. It seems like no matter what traits you choose, there is very little difference in their personalities. I miss my Sims having a brain of their own. I loved things like the attraction system that helped me mix up the relationships based on what my sim wanted instead of just which Sim I thought was cute. In general I just miss my Sims being different from each other and having a favorite. I don't really have favorites anymore as they're so similar in manner. (I just let out a big sigh just thinking about it :neutral: )
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »
    Evil_One wrote: »

Because this game was supposed to be online, with players doing the parts and not NPCs, so they had to hastily add into the base game the NPC coding, multitasking, emotions, ETC.

The result is a hollow shell of a game.

You can thank anyone who still wants the Sims to be online.

Exactly this.

These Sims weren't meant to have personalities, the player was supposed to provide that.

This makes so much sense now. The thing that bothers me THE most is the lack of personality in this game. It seems like no matter what traits you choose, there is very little difference in their personalities. I miss my Sims having a brain of their own. I loved things like the attraction system that helped me mix up the relationships based on what my sim wanted instead of just which Sim I thought was cute. In general I just miss my Sims being different from each other and having a favorite. I don't really have favorites anymore as they're so similar in manner. (I just let out a big sigh just thinking about it :neutral: )

traits are really poor in this game. you don't see any big differences in the sims.

romance was so good in the sims 2. i wish they bring it back to this game, romance is okay with the flirty emotion. but i want to see more romance interactions and stuff to do on dates in the community.

return of chocolates, candy lolly s and bears, along with the diamond ring and chain from the sims 1, and heart shaped stuff like vibrating love bed, heart shaped hot tub for two ect ect

• Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    No, no sense. They planned three gameplay. Only one was online! Second story mod and third free mod was not for online. So empty sims are developers intentions. And this is it what I hate... Because is so little hope for change it... I hope that ts5 will be do better.... But I dont believe this simsguru developers...
  • Options
    Emily_JEmily_J Posts: 1 New Member
    I bought The Sims 4 a few months back while it was in the Origin sale, and for a few days I actually found it entertaining. Then the novelty wore off: I would load the game up and then immediately quit it after only ten minutes of gameplay. Today I dug out the Sims 3 base game and expansion packs, installed them, and now I'm downloading the patch at this very moment. I do actually regret buying The Sims 4 because I find it boring. The game has been stripped of all the features which made previous games in the series exciting and fun to play.

Don't get me wrong, the sims themselves are interesting, but there are no driveable vehicles and there are a lot of features missing. I think The Sims 4 is a throwback to The Sims 1 in that the neighbourhood view is very similar, but the game just feels empty. Here's a list of things I both like and dislike about The Sims 4:

Positives:

1. The customisation options in CAS.
    2. Graphics.
    3. Better options for designing houses.
    4. Realistic toddler skill building.
    5. Ability to multi-task.

Negatives:

1. No vehicles.
    2. No open ended-world.
    3. Things become repetitive.

I think that in an attempt to make things more interesting, the creators have cut the features that were around in previous games so that players become engaged with how the characters behave.

Oh, and one more point: I recently bought the Jungle Adventures game pack. I was expecting a number of areas to explore around the Island, but instead there's only a large forest. It resets itself each time you revisit the vacation island, but it's not the same once you explore every part of the forest the first time around.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    No, no sense. They planned three gameplay. Only one was online! Second story mod and third free mod was not for online. So empty sims are developers intentions. And this is it what I hate... Because is so little hope for change it... I hope that ts5 will be do better.... But I dont believe this simsguru developers...

Three modes: multiplayer, story, and free play. Given the requirement for online with SC it’s a given that all three modes would require a persistent internet connection to even load the game.

But I do agree. The lifeless empty vessels they call Sims are what the developers wanted for this game. If they weren’t they have had adequate time to upgrade them, which they haven’t. I don’t think there will be another PC Sims game after 4, so they should start listening to people and make this one enjoyable before they end the Pc franchise altogether.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    "Questionable Sims. Frustrating Stories"

This is my favorite quote now and forever <3
  • Options
    Yeah we need an overhaul on personalities. For the moment sims are the most stupid sims ever created in this Franchise. They don't have memories, no real traits, the game is coded where all the sims react exactly the same way, relation don't have any sense, you can be enemy with someone and just after they'll laugh togheter, and even the emotion system isn't well executed. Since the day we are asking them to smarten up sims, I really hope that quarters without paid content means they'll be focused in this.

I agree with you.

• Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

Three modes: multiplayer, story, and free play. Given the requirement for online with SC it’s a given that all three modes would require a persistent internet connection to even load the game.

But I do agree. The lifeless empty vessels they call Sims are what the developers wanted for this game. If they weren’t they have had adequate time to upgrade them, which they haven’t. I don’t think there will be another PC Sims game after 4, so they should start listening to people and make this one enjoyable before they end the Pc franchise altogether.

@drake_mccarty @Kniga_Sitara The Sims are empty vessels because they decided to try and sort out the most troublesome of the three modes first, multiplayer... They wasted over half of their development time on that alone and finally realised they could never get it working (no big surprise to me or to most of the others who hate the idea of The Sims being online, but a shock to them I'm sure), then they had to quickly tape together what they had, bump up the graphical details and try to code something to justify the long wait and the price tag... Predictably they failed, thus we have The Sims 4

Note: Anyone quoting this, please remove the @ tags so they don't get bombarded with messages, thanks

raw
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    So.. TS4 was planned to be online but then developed to be an offline game. Still.. how come now after all these stuff packs & updates can we not have brighter sims, sims that can remember, or even sims who act according to the traits they are given?
    I don't want a Sims 5. I don't trust the franchise enough anymore to get roped into buying endless expansion packs and stuff for a game that can't live up to it's name.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2018
    So.. TS4 was planned to be online but then developed to be an offline game. Still.. how come now after all these stuff packs & updates can we not have brighter sims, sims that can remember, or even sims who act according to the traits they are given?
    I don't want a Sims 5. I don't trust the franchise enough anymore to get roped into buying endless expansion packs and stuff for a game that can't live up to it's name.

Because it's cheaper and easier for the developers/EA to just pile more fluff on the game as it is instead of going back and making the game playable.

They have been trying to play catch up though. Pools, toddlers, ghosts, etc. are all features which have always shipped with the base game since they were introduced, however, have had to be shoved to the back-burner in The Sims 4. It's obvious that this is because they did not have enough time to salvage the failed online project into a playable, fun single player game.

Personally, I find it harder to play The Sims 4 than the other games. The core game is so boring; the gameplay that isn't recycled from the decade old The Sims 2 is just uninspired and feels like it's designed by people who have no innovation to drive this game forward. Aspirations are grindy, repetitive, and just downright MMO quest-like. The rewards make an already incredibly easy game EVEN easier, only for the rest of that Sim's lifetime. Legacies are a dead gameplay style in 4; trying to build a large family tree with culling is impossible, and no wealth is ever passed down. So, there is no reason to go and build a large family, other than to brag online how many generations you have managed. The emotion system is just moodlets on steroids and feels confining, Sims and time flow freeze often, Sims' AI/traits/personality did not evolve at all, neighborhoods feel too confining, we lost a lot of customization, etc.

The only reason why I want The Sims 5 is because I truly believe, if they go in with the strong mentality of making it an actual single player life simulation game picking up from 2 and 3, and never lose sight of that goal, it cannot get worse than 4. Perhaps it may not best The Sims 2 or 3 again, but 4 was such a let down compared to its predecessors.
  • Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    I just want TS4 build-mode/CAS, open neighborhood and Sim multitasking put into TS2 gameplay. Is that so much to ask?! :< Hell, I'd be willing to deal with the load screens for every lot if I could just have the other things.
  • Options
    Also, I don't know if I would want a 5th game, simply because if it's the current team making it, how can we expect it to be anything like its predecessors? It doesn't seem like they even played the old games. Will Wright himself bailed to go work for stupid Second Life, for crying out loud. What does that tell you?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Also, I don't know if I would want a 5th game, simply because if it's the current team making it, how can we expect it to be anything like its predecessors? It doesn't seem like they even played the old games. Will Wright himself bailed to go work for stupid Second Life, for crying out loud. What does that tell you?

Will Wright was credited for The Sims 2, despite not working on it. Yet, The Sims 2 remains arguably the best Sims game thus far, and most innovative since The Sims 1.

A good amount of the developers from TS2 and its expansions actually work on TS4 now, too.

In essence, Will Wright didn’t create The Sims alone. In fact, many of the features, such as Sims socializing, relationships, Simlish, plumbobs, etc. all came from other people. There are plenty of interesting interviews regarding that, but Wright originally wanted The Sims to be a House building simulator.
  • Options
    Some of the devs may have come from the TS2 days, but certainly (to me) it does not show, which makes me sad because perhaps they aren't given the freedom they deserve. As we have discussed ad nauseum, the game lacks personality and humor, most of which I believe must have come from previous developers working on the project. I will never know exactly how and why things have changed, I can only speculate. Obviously WW had a wonderful team of designers at his fingertips, otherwise the game we know and love wouldn't have been born. I've played almost all of his early games, and there is a significant difference between them and what EA pumps out now. (Don't get me started on how EA has chewed up and spit out at least three of my favorite game franchises over the years.) I have a feeling that anyone who works at Maxis now who has carried over from a decade ago has probably been pushed into mobile gaming or something equally useless, and definitely does not dictate the direction that The Sims is going in.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Some of the devs may have come from the TS2 days, but certainly (to me) it does not show, which makes me sad because perhaps they aren't given the freedom they deserve. As we have discussed ad nauseum, the game lacks personality and humor, most of which I believe must have come from previous developers working on the project. I will never know exactly how and why things have changed, I can only speculate. Obviously WW had a wonderful team of designers at his fingertips, otherwise the game we know and love wouldn't have been born. I've played almost all of his early games, and there is a significant difference between them and what EA pumps out now. (Don't get me started on how EA has chewed up and spit out at least three of my favorite game franchises over the years.) I have a feeling that anyone who works at Maxis now who has carried over from a decade ago has probably been pushed into mobile gaming or something equally useless, and definitely does not dictate the direction that The Sims is going in.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you. I just feel it has more to do than the lack of Will Wright.

I think, in the case of The Sims 4, it was a good amount of factors. The game was originally planned to be online, as we all know, and wasted many years of development going in that path. Strike one. The game was then given a lead producer that had little to no PC game experience, let alone simulation game experience, but rather Facebook gaming background. Strike two. The game is also backed by EA, who shows little regard for the quality of the games they publish, and wanted to push the game out by a certain quarter before it was ready (as usual). Strike three.

We could probably go on, but I think those three points speak enough on why The Sims 4 was not where it should have been.
  • Options
    I agree. I just feel like it was very telling of him to abandon his "baby", as if he knew it was going down the wrong path. I don't mean like, he was the be all/end all of good Sims games--obviously he had a genius team of people working with him at the time.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    Apart from the failing MMO plans, I think another aspect that spoiled Sims 4 for me is the way they - I think - approached the ‘issue’ many players apparently had with ‘robotic’ sims in Sims 3 (quotation marks because for me there is no issue in that respect at all, I prefer my sims a bit more neutral). “They want quirky back, let’s give them quirky!” “They want sims to show emotions, let’s make emotions the core of the game!” “They loved Sims 1 and 2, they don’t care about loading screens or open world!” I think they aimed for the right reasons from their perspective and to meet complaints, but totally missed the bull’s-eye.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    rjssim wrote: »
    After that patch before Seasons, the sims like 90% of the time don't even interact with each other and just stand there in places such as coffee shops and bars. I repaired the game, disabled all mods, and I disables all expansions etc but the problem is still happening even in just base game. I hope they get this fixed.

I actually get the opposite issue - as my sim goes out and I want her to build the relationship with the sim she went with and instead she runs around talking to everybody instead of the one sim I want her to focus on. I mean she's at the disco bar has topped her dance skills - so has the guy I want her to build the relationship with - figures get them dancing and talking and instead of just focusing on him she adds every sim in the club to conversation.

Everytime she goes out she adds 20 new friends - and her relationship with guy in question has barely moved.

My sims charisma is practically filled without even trying to fill it. Shes barely a friend status to her boyfriend. The pink she had in the relationship panel with him from the Romance festival has totally disappeared too.

That sim just talks too much to everyone I don't want her talking to. LOL.

LOL! I wish I could have at least half of that. I did a complete uninstall and re-download of everything and still no luck. Well, at least when I invite a group of friend sims over they all still interact. The problem is the other sims in the background. They just stand/sit there like mindless zombies, lol! It's like come on... talk already!