Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Contest ~ Challenge 74 up due (EST) 9th March ☆☆

Comments

• Options
    CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    Thank you so much @kimartist (congrats on your first great grand daughter, how exciting! :smile: ), @coolsim9999999 , @FaithofKaela and @Ainsleyf ! <3 It sure is busy, but also exciting times ahead. :smile: But not participating means I can have a looksee at everyone's cottages, tree farms, stables and Kringles households, and I'm totally loooving all the entries! B)

Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear about your (literal) run-in with your friend's horse @Cbear13 ! Hope you'll feel better soon! *hugs*

And yay, awesome news that they fixed the gallery hashtags!
  • Options
    Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Everyones builds are beautiful, Thank you for the lovely comments on my Vet clinic, life is really busy just now so no sim time :(
    just caught up 6 pages here!
    @Cbear13 I hope your Nose is ok, and the headaches have eased, see your doctor if they dont!

Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

• Options
    NoreNore Posts: 236 Member
    edited December 2017
    @ainsleyf Thank you for your comments :) It has been so enjoyable to make it look all holiday like haha. I never take primarily nighttime pictures of any of my builds usually until now.

@rosemow Thank you! I am almost done with the interior :)

@FaithofKaela Wonderful build! I particularly like the landscaping :)

@kimartist Congratulations! That all sounds so wonderful and amazing, it must be so nice to be around a large, loving family :)

Almost done with my base house, although I will have to delete a lot of the decorations once I move it onto a bigger lot haha, went way over budget with Christmas decor and paintings.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows if it would be alright to create younger sims for the sims creation portion? I had an idea for the backstory of my building, but it involved the house being taken over by Kristoff Jr. and his wife haha. I understand if they can't be entered into the competition but I wondered if it was okay to build them anyway and include them as part of the backstory for my lot entry? Thanks!
    Link to my showcase thread: NoreKP Showcase

Link to a story I started: Chronicles of a Simki

Origin ID: NoreKP

Latest build: When Baroque Met Modern
    4584899921fd5b78c0674fd01372085ee844519960c626fcee531895d7bd6d3af4b9e81c.jpg
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Thanks @Nore, yes, I was pleased with the landscaping for this build. Really looking forward to seeing what you've come up with :grin:
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    @FaithofKaela Thank you :) I edited my comment but you responded before I did haha, so I can just write another comment might be better.

I wanted to ask you what packs the Christmas lights (the small ones) and the horses in the barn are from?

Also I noticed in your notes you discussed objects intersecting a lot. I wondered why that is? In my build there are a crazy amount of objects intersecting but I figured it was alright as long as there was no flickering and all the items functions and pathing was fine. Is this not true? Thanks!

• Options
    Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    Update on the nose lol
    My nose is fine now haha was just a few days of soreness but all good now :)
    Finally got some time today to try get caught up on all the judging
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
  • Options
    @Nore we are quite strict on solid items touching other solid items and will critique them when judging, we are ok with items being merged to create something new but cant always guess what your intentions are so we ask you post notes with your entry form of anything intersecting that we might critique.
    Posting notes about solid items sticking in each other doesn't mean we wont critique it but if we know you were doing it in a creative way and its done cleanly chances are we wont critique
    We like things to be as realistic as possible so you wouldn't have for example a plant sticking into a wall or curtains sticking into objects and so on...
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
  • Options
    NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    @Nore Regarding your last comment about discussing objects intersecting. That is due to how they judge in this competition. There are many competitions out there, but the Quality Control contest's main focus is on realism and placement. That means you are specifically judged on your placement. On page 1 of this thread there is information about how this contest is judged, and it has a category specifically for placement noting: "points taken off for items sticking through other items". There is also a comment on: "For placement and play ability errors 1 point will be deducted for each error, major errors may incur a higher deduction"

If you have noticed there is also a note on the entry form stating: "Please add any notes to entry form of items that may not be usable due to creative reasons (within reason) we will not remove points for usability if mentioned and used in a creative manner."

This means we often leave comments for the judges about known issues or intersecting objects that are intersecting for a creative reason. This so that we (hopefully) don't lose points for it. The judges may still deem it an error and deduct points, but that is fairly rare if you have made a mention of it.

There are certain things they won't critique you for, but it can be a little hard to know what these things are when you are new. I started out writing notes about every little thing intersecting. The judges will typically let you know if it is something they deem "normal" and not needed to specifically make a mention of, so over time you do learn these things and might not write as many notes.

That's why you will see people mentioning such things as intersecting objects on their entry form :blush:
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • Options
    @Nore your more than welcome to create and include a younger version of the sims for your build story as long as the build itself goes by the brief and requirements
  • Options
    @kimartist huge Congratulations for your first great grand child how exciting hope she is doing well
  • Options
    Ah thank you so much everyone for clarifying! I had read the rules before but I didn't quite register what that part meant specifically. I feel I sort of grasp it now but my notes in this first try might be extensive. I usually always purposefully intersect objects for creative reasons when there are any, but I can understand what you mean. A few points to clarify, I assume landscaping items like rocks and plants don't need to be specified when they intersect?

And what about something like the following image, would I need to specify all the objects that intersect in the Christmas train village or could I just say that the set is created as intended? Also what about small intersections like the two books on the coffee table, would something like that need to also be mentioned specifically?

74301937ba7afef7866556f9e9f1ff3b5f218fb4b5db30522a8f9a1126fe2aef3cf2c2f8.jpg

Thanks for the guidelines and advice everyone!

• Options
    @Nore when it comes to landscaping its a tough one and there isnt always a black and white line
    Generally speaking though we are ok with rocks sticking into rocks to look like bigger rocks but if you had plants sticking into solid rocks then we would critique that
    Another example is things sticking into tree trunks would be critiqued
    Quite often we are critiquing things like plants sticking into building walls because when placed in the games default tile next to a wall the leaves will stick into the wall, so for the challenges we expect you guys to move the plant away from the wall by holding down the ALT button so that they arent touching
    We also find decorations like garden lights placed in gardens often have plants sticking into them or rocks.
    So just remember to try keep everything looking realistic as possible though we are lenient when done for creative purposes
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @Nore as for the pic hmm no I wouldnt say you need to comment on everything in the pic as we can see its made as a little village but one thing I can see in the picture that might get critiqued is the blue rug that's sticking under the wall of the room which potentially means its sticking out the other side. Also check the presents under the tree arent sticking into the tree (hard to see in pic)
    Rugs under walls will be critiqued, also rugs sticking under solid objects such as counters, baths, showers and door frames (we see this alot as in default tile in front of a door usually sticks under door frames).
    Its more things that are obviously sticking into something else that's solid, I guess it takes a little while for people to get a grasp on how we judge and I always say if your unsure if we will critique it then best to mention it. We try supply plenty of notes and feedback in the judging to help.
    Also if you have a look at the Quality Control Practice thread and have a look at some of the feedback for peoples challenges it will really explain and show with images examples of what we critique
    Also the QC Competition Guide in this thread tries to explain all this more in depth
  • Options
    Ah okay! Thank you for explaining and for the link. I had read the rules that are listed in the actual contest entry (like the lot requirements) but didn't see the general rules before. I just read them all and it makes a lot more sense. Also some wonderful tutorials! If I had known about the basement tip to raise objects outdoors beforehand! Been building outdoor rooms and using grass and rocks to go over the floor tiles in order to make a number of different outdoor lifted areas haha. They took way too long to redo them utilising basements but I am glad to know this know for future :)

I definitely feel for this entry I might end up losing all the points in that intersection category haha. I do have a number of rocks placed on grass. I also placed some items like ground lighting into plants. I was attempting to create a "nestled" look, ironically in an effect to make things look more wild, natural and authentic haha. I guess the idea was to create a look as if the rock was smooshing the grass or something. Obviously though the game can't actually do that lol. In regards to plants sticking into walls, I do have a tree on the right side of the house where I placed it as far as it could go to the lot border, but a few branches still stuck into the wall. I did make sure to place cabinets over the branches though so you can't actually see them from the inside, and from the outside the branches are all too chaotic to tell (it is the Christmas lit tree). Is that something that would be allowed?

In regards to the living space, I did actually double check the rug when I placed it haha. The part that sticks into the other space is not seen because it is below another object. The gifts don't stick into the tree but they do stick into each other a bit. Again this was intended to create a cluttering of gifts in a semi-circle around the tree look. I wondered if that would be allowed?

I have a feeling I'm going to learn a lot about furnishing and decor from this competition moving forward haha :blush:

• Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    @Nore - the little Christmas string style lights are from the Parenthood GP, the horse is a tiny little sculpture in City Living that I have sized up :wink:
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @FaithofKaela Ah okay, another reason to buy Parenthood haha. Although part of me really doesn't want to replace all those lights now, especially because I noticed they are extremely difficult to grasp when you size them down. You have to actually click on the string and not the snowflake to delete them. Would take aeons :neutral:

• Options
    @Nore if we do see the tree sticking into a wall we will critique it and with the rug if its visibly sticking under the wall from the room its in it will be critiqued as its not realistic to stick rugs under walls
    As for the gifts remember they are solid items so realistically not possible to stick them into another, holding the ALT button down and moving them very close to each other and rotating them to fit nicely without actually touching will still achieve the cluttered look. When judging we do fiddle with things you guys create to see if their is a better option of placement before critiquing something. If we find it can be done more cleanly and placement issues are avoidable we will most likely critique
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Okay I feel I'm beginning to understand. So if you can't actually see the tree branch in the wall because it has been let's say covered by a cabinet then that would be okay?

And for the rug, if you can't actually see the rug in any of the other rooms then I'm guessing that would also be okay? When I placed it I intended it to be seen as a rug that was cut to fit into the corner. It was less intended to be a rug and more intended as the ocean in that small village. It can, however, only be seen in the living room as I looked to make sure it didn't show anywhere through the wall.

As for the gifts that makes a lot of sense. I guess I was being lazy after the excruciating amount of time to build the village haha. So if an intersection looks natural like the 2 books which appear like one is stacked on top of the other that's fine. But obviously for gifts that logic wouldn't work. I definitely am going to have to go through and redo quite a bit once I move it into a larger lot. I likely have to delete a ton of the original build to get in budget anyway so this would help decide what to delete haha. Thanks!

• Options
    NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    @Nore Good luck Nore, I am sure it will turn out wonderful! You have such a great creative eye for details :blush:
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • Options
    @Nore no we would like you to avoid having the branches touching or sticking into any walls regardless if you try hide them. Keep it realistic real trees cant stick through real building walls.
    Same with the rug we want you to avoid having any part of the rug sticking under a wall as you cant do that in real life either
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Ah okay haha, I totally misunderstood. Based on what I learnt I likely am just going to redo most of it once I finish building it as a standalone Christmas house for Brindleton haha. Shouldn't be too difficult though, just going to delete a bunch of stuff, which I had to do for budgeting after anyway haha, for instance that village doesn't actually need that 'ocean' lol. It will actually be quite interesting to go through it all once completed looking for all these intersections. I will be honest I almost never consider that aspect of building when I'm building haha, so I'm sure to learn quite a bit thanks for this competition!

Thank you for answering all my questions! I apologise if I asked too many haha. I had a few more but I don't want to keep bombarding the thread with intersection enquiries without asking if it's okay to do so haha.

• Options
    @Nore yeah we judge quite differently from other competitions really focusing on the quality on having builds fully functional and usable and as realistic and clean as possible. Its not for everyone but I find overall the builds look much better.
    I got so annoyed at always downloading builds and find half the items weren't usable because something else was in the way or sticking into them.
    As for you apologising for questions lol please never stop asking or ever say sorry for asking I encourage people to ask questions as its the only way to learn and always if your unsure if something is ok you can always post a pic and ask. Bombard away hehe
  • Options
    AinsleyfAinsleyf Posts: 880 Member
    edited December 2017
    QC challenge no:56
    Origin ID: Ainsleyfr
    Are you a novice builder: nope
    Intermediate, Experienced, Advanced or Unofficial level: Experienced
    Original Lot used (lot name and town): The Summer Home - Windenburg
    Gallery Name: Kringle Farms
    Gallery Link:Kringle Farms
    Notes about entry:Tore the roof apart so that it could be played with the walls up, upstairs. Still not completely happy with it, but it works. Garlands are connected to sconces, but I did it to look like they were tied to them. Also, I really did have ramps in place before I saw others using them. I tend not to mention things like that as I assume others know people are going to have similar ideas, but recently I've been concerned that people might think I'd take their ideas without giving them credit. I'll use other people's ideas..but I'll give the person credit for them if I do. ;)
    Images (3-6 max): vGovIPL.png
    More Pics:
    Io8Ueoe.pngayuLZIn.png
    1w9L9LF.pngDLC2itd.png
    R8ihCJS.png
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    The exterior design of Kringle Farms is so very nice ! @Ainsleyf :) The design of the roofing looks very great! Very nice layout of the build! Very nice Christmas trees farm area at the front of the build. The string lights look pretty there. The decorated different sizes of Christmas trees look in the front garden look pretty ! Very nice backyard garden area. Mrs Kringle will enjoy growing plants outdors in the gardening boxes, and the glass windows and roofing greenhouse looks very nice! It looks great how the stables have been set up. Very nice furnishing of the living and dining rooms! The red and green colour scheme looks very festively nice. Very nice fireplace sofa and armchairs sitting area! The design of the floor rug looks great! The strings of snowflakes on the wall, the candles on the coffee table and the Christmas tree in the corner nook looks very pretty! The snowflakes are a nice touch on the window. Very festively elegant dining room! The wall pattern , wreaths and garlands on the wall, the candles and bonbons on the table, and the nutcrackers each side of the festive themed fireplace look so nice! The red seats are nice for the sims to sit on as they enjoy eating meals at the festive dining table, The red and white colour scheme of the kitchen looks very nice and very nice layout of the counters and cabinets.
    It is a very nice home for the Kringles! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top