Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game freezes: update, solved

Comments

• Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,374 Member
    Help! I got the drivers reinstalled and they seem to be working because my game graphics look pretty good, but now the fps is high again. I've set Nvidia inspector to 60 hz and triple buffering but it doesn't look like it's recognizing the card. I can't access Nvidia. When I right click on desktop it only shows Intel Graphics, not Nvidia. And when I do a search for Nvidia the control panel option comes up but when I click on it I get this:

NVIDIA Display settings are not available

You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU
  • Options
    @ZeeGee If reinstalling the video driver does not work, I would contact Lenovo. I tried to search for any problems noted with your laptop. They say the model you have does not have heating issues like the older Y Lenovo series but it still could be a Lenovo problem. In tech we usually don't advise buying Lenovo for gaming. There are better companies out there that make laptops specific for gaming. Like MSI, Asus Rog, Clevo, Fangbook, Razor, Gigabyte. These laptops will usually have more efficient cooling and a made better than the brand names you know Like HP, Dell, Lenovo etc. Most of these known companies over charge for the specs they give you too

@phoebebebe13 I have gone through 3 laptops in the less than 3 years I've been playing Sims 3, two Alienwares and now this one. Wish I'd come on here and sought advice before buying! I will next time for sure. Next time I'm buying a desktop. Out of the brands you mentioned what would be the best desktop to get? I only pay Sims 3 and would like to play Sims 2 also. I'm a simmer, not a gamer. :)
  • Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Help! I got the drivers reinstalled and they seem to be working because my game graphics look pretty good, but now the fps is high again. I've set Nvidia inspector to 60 hz and triple buffering but it doesn't look like it's recognizing the card. I can't access Nvidia. When I right click on desktop it only shows Intel Graphics, not Nvidia. And when I do a search for Nvidia the control panel option comes up but when I click on it I get this:

NVIDIA Display settings are not available

You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU

OK, have you rebooted the PC after installing the Nvidia 960M driver? If not, do so and see if it works correcly. If you have, it may be a problem with the installation sequence. I dislike doing this to you but... You may need to:
    Uninstall the Nvidia 960M driver
    Reboot
    Uninstall then Reinstall the Intel HD Graphics 530
    Reboot
    Install the Nvidia 960M driver
    Reboot

How do I uninstall my NVIDIA display drivers on a Microsoft Windows based PC?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Dusty_Boots I'm pretty sure I rebooted. I'll try again. Here's the instructions I followed from Lenovo:

Here's the direct link for the Display driver uninstaller:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/ display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html
    Tech: After the download is completed, it would prompt you to extract the file. Once the display driver uninstaller is extracted under download folder you would see Display driver uninstaller .exe file. Double click on it to proceed with the installation. After the Display driver uninstaller is installed, it would prompt for system restore point creation and booting the computer in safemode.

- Once done, Select NVIDIA on top and Put a check mark on all the NVIDIA components near the NVIDIA logo.
    - Now click on Clean and Restart (Highly Recommended)
    - Once the computer restarts and goes to the Windows, please follow the steps below

Delete the NVIDIA folders from your computer completely (from the Recycle Bin as well)

Check these locations:

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation
    C:\NVIDIA
    Tech: Download the driver http://international.download. nvidia.com/Windows/376.48/376.48-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international.hf.exe

Please select Custom (Advanced) while installing the graphics drivers and on the next screen please place a check mark on perform a clean install.

1. Bring up the Windows Search option.(Just press "Windows Logo" button form your keyboard )
    2. Type in "msconfig.exe" (without the quotes) and hit ENTER. This should bring up the System Configuration window.
    3. Click "Selective startup" option.
    4. Uncheck "Load startup items"
    5. Click the "Services" tab
    6. Check the "Hide all Microsoft services" box ( This is the most important step )
    7. Click "Disable all"
    8. Now re-enable only the "NVIDIA" services
    9. Click "OK"
    10. Restart your computer.
    11. Check with your issue.
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2017
    @ZeeGee If reinstalling the video driver does not work, I would contact Lenovo. I tried to search for any problems noted with your laptop. They say the model you have does not have heating issues like the older Y Lenovo series but it still could be a Lenovo problem. In tech we usually don't advise buying Lenovo for gaming. There are better companies out there that make laptops specific for gaming. Like MSI, Asus Rog, Clevo, Fangbook, Razor, Gigabyte. These laptops will usually have more efficient cooling and a made better than the brand names you know Like HP, Dell, Lenovo etc. Most of these known companies over charge for the specs they give you too

@phoebebebe13 I have gone through 3 laptops in the less than 3 years I've been playing Sims 3, two Alienwares and now this one. Wish I'd come on here and sought advice before buying! I will next time for sure. Next time I'm buying a desktop. Out of the brands you mentioned what would be the best desktop to get? I only pay Sims 3 and would like to play Sims 2 also. I'm a simmer, not a gamer. :)

Alienware use to be good until they sold the name to Dell. As I understand it the originators of Alienware now make Clevo

Laptop brands we recommend would be different than desktop.Desktop is so much better and more powerful and some can be upgraded unlike a laptop. Laptops are throw away computers and unless someone absolutely has no room for a tower is the only reason one should get a throw away laptop or if one can just afford to have both laptop/desktop.

Custom desktop is the best way to go. If you live in the USA Cyberpower, Ibuypower, Digital Storm and a few others. Depends who is running sales. If you live in another country there should be other custom options. When and if your ready to buy a tower is the best time to ask. Prices change. Hardware is always changing. What is available now may not be available when you buy.

You still need a mid range gaming desktop to run the whole sims 3. I would advise a large 500 gb ssd hard drive for the sims 3 since the game will load much quicker on ssd. I have a mid range gaming tower to run the sims 3
  • Options
    @ZeeGee - Are you downloading & installing the 960M driver directly from Lenovo or from elsewhere?
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 I'm in the U.S. and I'm ready now if there's something you can recommend. Even if I get this laptop back up and running I am to the point where I want a desktop so I can play reliably. I wouldn't be good at custom as I've no idea how to put parts together but if there's a premade system you could recommend I would sure appreciate it.
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots I think it's from Lenovo? I followed the link they sent me to download.
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots I think it's from Lenovo? I followed the link they sent me to download.

First, please don't post links to a direct download. No harm done at all but they both auto-downloaded on me and I've had to delete them from my PC.

I'd suggest that you not use that Guru Uninstaller/Installer app, it was not designed for use with proprietary computers and may not work correctly. Use the instructions from Nvidia that I posted. No, that driver that they link you to is not directly from Lenovo. Its a universal driver, not the proprietary Lenovo driver. That's extremely likely to be causing the problem(s) you're having. Head to Lenovo, go through the drill-down support menus for your specific make/model PC and download the driver(s) directly from them.
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots Oh I'm sorry! I'm so clueless. I edited the link and put a space in it so it won't do that. Okay, that was instructions from Lenovo tech so I assumed they were giving me good advice. :grimace: I'll go back and find your instructions and do it again.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Edit: sorry wrong link

@phoebebebe13 What do you think about this one?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @ZeeGee I don't do custom desktops. Too much hardware. :p Send user chesterbigbird a PM. She is a build expert and can help you with cyberpower custom . She configured my desktops
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Thank you. I will PM her.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Dusty_Boots Oh I'm sorry! I'm so clueless. I edited the link and put a space in it so it won't do that. Okay, that was instructions from Lenovo tech so I assumed they were giving me good advice. :grimace: I'll go back and find your instructions and do it again.

Think nothing of it. No big deal whatsoever! I really can't imagine why a Lenovo Tech Support Rep. would send you to a 3rd party website? That just don't sound right. Friday madness perhaps...

That universal driver is a stand-alone, which explains why you're not getting the complete Nvidia CP functionality, and is very likely causing your headaches. Its not designed to interact & communicate with the Intel HD Graphics 530 via Optimus on your specific Lenovo system & BIOS parameters. The result is that its being only partially recognized.

Manufacturer's of pre-built systems, like Lenovo, often tweak & customize the functionality of devices & drivers to suit a specific make/model of their PC, usually through the BIOS parameters. When they do, the functionality is NOT the same as what the 'original' device maufacturers built/designed. (edit for clarity->) The only time to consider non-pre-built-manufacturer drivers/apps is when there is absolutely no other alternative. Then try the original device manufacturer. The last resort is 3rd party drivers.

An example: Your GPU may have originally been an Nvidia Rambo XXI :D . Then Lenovo tweaks it via the BIOS to work with Optimus and within specific parameters on your specific make/model PC. So its no longer a genuine original Nividia Rambo XXI GPU. Any drivers/apps that you get directly from Nvidia and/or from 3rd party sites for that original Rambo XXI may not work well, if at all, with your specific PC.

• Options
    @Dusty_Boots I'm downloading new driver here and when that's done I'm going to uninstall anything Nvidia through control panel. Is this right?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103472
  • Options
    Uh oh, somehow I've managed to disable my Kaspersky :scream:
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots I'm downloading new driver here and when that's done I'm going to uninstall anything Nvidia through control panel. Is this right?

I can't do the Lenovo drill-down menu for your PC. If you did that and/or used their Auto-Detect system you should be fine. And that driver is exactly what I'd posted, directly from Lenovo.

I'd uninstall all that 3rd party Nvidia driver & apps first. Reboot. Then get that Lenovo driver installed. If you choose a custom install you can pick/choose what, if any, apps come with it. It should come with the Nvidia CP, just like it did fresh from the factory.
  • Options

I can't do the Lenovo drill-down menu for your PC. If you did that and/or used their Auto-Detect system you should be fine. And that driver is exactly what I'd posted, directly from Lenovo.

I'd uninstall all that 3rd party Nvidia driver & apps first. Reboot. Then get that Lenovo driver installed. If you choose a custom install you can pick/choose what, if any, apps come with it. It should come with the Nvidia CP, just like it did fresh from the factory.

Did you post that link? I missed that. I went back to your first post, should have kept reading. I've uninstalled all Nvidia stuff, deleted Nvidia folders and reinstalled but it is still not showing up. Should I do a recovery and start over? Wait, that's what got me in this mess in the first place. I'm sorry. I don't speak computer and this is getting to me.
  • Options
    I got Kaspersky back up. Lenovo system updates is downloading a bunch of stuff. Maybe that will help.

@Dusty_Boots The complete reinstallation of windows that you mentioned with media, I think that's a bit beyond me. Do you mean the Windows discs that used to come with computers? I didn't get one with this one.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Did you post that link? I missed that. I went back to your first post, should have kept reading. I've uninstalled all Nvidia stuff, deleted Nvidia folders and reinstalled but it is still not showing up. Should I do a recovery and start over? Wait, that's what got me in this mess in the first place. I'm sorry. I don't speak computer and this is getting to me.

What isn't showing up? Is the Nvidia CP there or are you still getting that "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU" message? If the CP is there, it will probably have very very few options available, that's just how it is with an Optimus system.
    I got Kaspersky back up. Lenovo system updates is downloading a bunch of stuff. Maybe that will help.

@Dusty_Boots The complete reinstallation of windows that you mentioned with media, I think that's a bit beyond me. Do you mean the Windows discs that used to come with computers? I didn't get one with this one.

Yes, let Lenovo complete the system updates, then reboot when its done.
    While this should be a default on a laptop, just in case... Make sure that you have it set for single display only.
    Windows 10: Change Main Display in Windows 10
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots Ok, before when I right clicked on my desktop I would see Intel Graphics Menu and Nvidia. Now it's only showing Intel so I thought that meant there was something wrong. System update is done. I'm going to reboot and try to play and see what happens!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @ZeeGee - If you *are* interested in reinstalling everything, this is just my personal advice:

Its not a process to learn on-the-fly nor by trial & error. It requires some preparation and know-how, especially when problems occur, and they always occur. If it was me, I'd stock up on some good imported lager and yummy eats, then I'd ask a friend with at least moderate+ techie know-how to help me do a reset of the Lenovo system and a clean uninstall/reinstall of the OS. Bring it all back to zero. Then ask them to help you in using the available unofficial methods to disable the Ms'sft Windows Updater and teach you how to run that Wushowhide tool.

And now, if I do not get my house vacuumed & mopped I shall be a real life Dusty Boots! :D
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots That sounds intense! And I hope you got your real life house cleaning accomplished. I so appreciate all your help, and the help of everyone who chimed in to this thread. Nothing seems to help this expensive piece of junk so it's time to drop it off to the local techies and see what they can do.

Chesterbigbird has put together a great looking desktop for me. I will just have to suffer Sims 3 withdrawal until it gets here. :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Dusty_Boots That sounds intense! And I hope you got your real life house cleaning accomplished. I so appreciate all your help, and the help of everyone who chimed in to this thread. Nothing seems to help this expensive piece of junk so it's time to drop it off to the local techies and see what they can do.

Chesterbigbird has put together a great looking desktop for me. I will just have to suffer Sims 3 withdrawal until it gets here. :)
    I'm sorry the help couldn't have been more effective, though. Sounds like you had quite a challenge there. It's a pity there isn't a Mobile version of this game that can help us get through times like this.

"Igazor, do you ever stop to think about what you are saying before you post something?" :angry:

Nahh... >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm sorry the help couldn't have been more effective, though. Sounds like you had quite a challenge there. It's a pity there isn't a Mobile version of this game that can help us get through times like this.

"Igazor, do you ever stop to think about what you are saying before you post something?" :angry:

Nahh... >:)

:lol::lol: