Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Great landscaping! Love those flowering bushes!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @ADWilson - Remember that I am severely hampered by no EPs here!
    screenshot_original.jpg

What do you think?
    On the plus side - I think the curtains look good though they sit on the counter tops and I haven't play tested yet. And the fridge fits in the corner now as I only placed three windows either side the sliding door in back. On the downside, I went with cheaper counters and a bit more black this time around. Tell me if I should change that.
    screenshot_original.jpg

And I've stuck the chess set inside this time around, replacing the sectional couch and rug. There might be more money as I play and things depreciate, but it's over 21k right now, so I'm keeping things minimal.
    screenshot_original.jpg

Upstairs is fairly bare, but it has all the basics and a chair and desk.
    screenshot_original.jpg

More outside shots:
    That hanging basket chair fits perfectly on a fantasy tree branch. The tree just disappeared as I was too close to it taking the pic.
    screenshot_original.jpg

the back:
    screenshot_original.jpg

I think the ivy on the side doesn't look as good on this build. It seems out of place. So maybe some windows could be added to this side as well.
    screenshot_original.jpg

I'm really hoping that you will get the other build when I get my PC back. So, for now, I'm trying for a similar, but different look. So both homes could exist in the same world. This one is oriented to face the pretty (I think) fountain and colorful trees in the lot next door.

Give me your honest feedback and I will work on making it better!

• Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @creativemetaphor

I am thrilled and so no small way, relieved that I can finally present this rounds build.

I want to thank you all for the help and support you gave me during this round. There were times when I wanted to cry out of sheer desperation. I was getting to the point that I would never get this build done. Hugs to all of you <3

Strongford Prison
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9078912

Screenshot-8_zps2ycbf1gq.jpg

The prison has four work rooms, a nectary, a scribes library, a sculpture studio and glass blowing.
    The are four prisoner cells, two singles and two doubles. They have a sink outside their quarters for washing.
    The guards have private quarters and a day room with a shared mess room.
    The jailer has a private suite with private bath.

The grounds have a large garden and fruit orchard, a stable area with two stalls.

The entrance to the dungeon is in the back of the property.

Here we go...

The birds eye view
    First Level
    Screenshot-94_zpsamtcwd65.jpg

Second Level
    Screenshot-93_zpsh9wo1n3a.jpg

Overall view
    Screenshot-92_zpsiq3xhup4.jpg

More detailed pictures of the various rooms
    Strongford%20Prison%202_zpsbepbtekm.jpg
    Strongford%20Prison%203_zpsx9gtqwio.jpg
    Strongford%20Prison%205_zpsofnlgouc.jpg
    Strongford%20Prison%204_zpsiw6odufy.jpg
    Strongford%20Prison%2010_zpsdbnmzf3d.jpg.
    Strongford%20Prison%206_zpsmec4i5s8.jpg
    The Jailers Suite
    Strongford%20Prison%207_zpse5w6rbcq.jpg
    Strongford%20Prison%209_zpsmm2guzul.jpg

Around the grounds
    Strongford%20Prison%2011_zpsucmqmblj.jpg

Peek at the dungeon
    Strongford%20Prison%2012_zpsx9td1wzs.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor I forgot to show you where it is

It's located in the center of the picture at the top, there's a red arrow. You will have to change the lot to commercial, no visitors and it all should work :)

castle%20loc_zpsnsx5nany.jpg
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @kgaff That is spectacular! I love it! <3 Can't wait to get it in a world and explore! I'm just so glad it all got sorted out, I was truly hurtin for ya (hugs)

@MiaSkywalker I got your build sketched out today, it'll fit on a 30x30 lot with just the keep. I can make it smaller if you'd prefer, or if you are okay going to a 40x40 I'll add a moat.

Otherwise, I think I'm set to start on the shell tonight!
    Currently far I have 4 1/2 above-ground levels, not counting the roof walk-ways, and two below-ground levels.
  • Options
    Hey creativemetaphor! I've started on you build too. I'm really liking it. I used the basement level to give me the extra height I needed for the tower. I came to just a space away from the edge of the lot. I'm excited to show you how that tower and its windows turned out, but I'm busy CFEing the roof at the other end right now.
  • Options
    @ciane Can't wait :)
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @ciane

Thoughts on "take two":
      Exterior
    • Quite interesting ~ the different shapes and jut-outs had me wanting to peek at it from all angles!
    • The structure on top that resembles plane wings, is it meant to mimic solar panels? The bluish texture made me think of them.
    • Sorry, but I don't really care for those fantasy trees. It could be the color or branching, I'm not really sure. In one picture there are reddish-purple trees nearby and I was wondering if a small version of those is available & would suit the hanging chair.
    • I like the green along the one side, mainly because it adds some variety in color and texture.

Interior
    • The blue is pretty. The black and white is striking. However, having them together isn't hitting the right note with me (although my daughter really liked it!). I'm thinking maybe a muted red to replace the blue. Or perhaps turquoise or yellow since those look fab with b & w also.
    • The chess table looks like it has been made from ice. Has it? I'll admit that I'm used to having somewhere for sims to sit, but it would be good to stretch myself and try out a different living arrangement. :)

Thank YOU for building this in case the first one is no longer available. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    The other fantasy trees don't have branches, so no hanging basket chair. (But that wasn't really futuristic any way, just a way to enjoy the outdoors and the scene next door. And, it's okay to not like those fantasy trees, they take a lot of getting used to!

I tended to use that color because it matches the pier fence and the sci-fi lighting on chairs and bed and doors that aren't normally recolorable. I can use the somfa (no decals, overrides, stencils, etc.) mod that velocity has over on mts to change out that color for another, but that blue in the pier fence won't change. (I went with that fencing because it is free, like the other fencing that I used was from buydebug.)

I love black and white and red as a color scheme. Maybe, I'll quit trying for a starter and go with another 33k build. It'll look better in the long run and give lots more options.

I thought it was a glass chess set that you could make glass blowing, but maybe it is an ice sculpture. You can find it in buydebug. It's just a bit cheaper than the most of the other ones. I used it in the last build too, but of course, it was on the back patio then.

Great input! I wasn't really liking it yet the way it was. And yes, it's suppose to be solar panels.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited April 2017
    Pssst...@ADWilson - I'm done-zo! I'll get it uploaded tomorrow, but if you'd like a little story and some (read: loads) pictures, click on the picture!

Screenshot-620_zpslb85aabh.jpg

Post edited by aricarai on
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker and everyone - thank you so much for allowing me to participate in the RR! I had a lot of fun and I've learned so much, things that after 8 years, I didn't even know was possible. This has been such a fun process! <3 Thank you for having me! I'll be back as soon as I have it uploaded to the Exchange! :mrgreen:

*slips silently back into lurker mode*
  • Options
    @aricarai I love that house. I learned a lot from watching you build it. I had no idea you could layer roofs. I also picked up on a few decor ideas that I would have never thought of. It's a nice house that would fit in several world and never look out of place. :)
  • Options
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @aricarai I love that house. I learned a lot from watching you build it. I had no idea you could layer roofs. I also picked up on a few decor ideas that I would have never thought of. It's a nice house that would fit in several world and never look out of place. :)

I'm happy you like it! Yes, you can change the exterior and it would suit a few different worlds! Ahh glad you learned some things from me. I've learned a lot by participating too!
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    It's sooooo pretty @aricarai and will definitely suit different worlds like @Kgaff mentioned :)
    Sims are so lucky!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Really nice look Aricarai!

@creativemetaphor - I have some early pics for you.
    This shows how it fits in. I think the height is just right and the size works well in comparison to the neighboring community lots.
    screenshot_original.jpg

I'm not so sure about those big balcony windows, but I imagine wine parties on openings would gravitate to them.
    screenshot_original.jpg

The back didn't have pics that I found, so I put the same windows in back that are on the front; except for the hip roof tower. There I mimicked the other tower's outside windows (because its front is up against the main building, so it only had three windows across the top). I dug out sections for the Bau Haus windows that stack on top of each other that you see on the side of the tower. This was so that the basement could have a window. The stairs are options. I think the one that follows along the side of the tower in a mirror image of the front is more likely, but I could see patio dining on the terrace and the space between stairs filled in if you like.
    screenshot_original.jpg

I haven't decided about the main building's back yet. It's not likely to have a jut out like the front in back, esp. with the windows of the tower there. It's possible I could jut out one tile on the bottom floor just for a bit of variety and place doors there so they have minimal cover. I was thinking that windows might be spaced with a wall between them so paintings might place between windows, but I just didn't play with that yet.

It seemed a good place to stop for the night and think about the rest.

Let me know what you'd change, add, or delete.

Oh, and I had some tile leading to the front stairs that were two tiles wide. That is why I have that stick out section between the stairs and the building (in front). I could make the stairs wider, but the outer section hides the uneven terrain that I built up for the stairs. And then they'd be wider than the doorway and off-center. I thought it would be a great place to add a planter or sculptures. But, you decide.
  • Options
    @Ciane Oh that's stunning!!

I actually love those big windows but I don't recognize them, what are they from?

The back... I'd love to see an arched/covered walkway along the back, like this, only open archways instead of walled in: ee22c71c347968fb7881fe81a7f186e3.jpg

It should clear the tall windows... I'm not sure about those little square ones, though. They seem sort of... out of place? They don't really match the surrounding architecture.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker and everyone - thank you so much for allowing me to participate in the RR! I had a lot of fun and I've learned so much, things that after 8 years, I didn't even know was possible. This has been such a fun process! <3 Thank you for having me! I'll be back as soon as I have it uploaded to the Exchange! :mrgreen:

*slips silently back into lurker mode*
    Ari, it was fun having you aboard for a round. :) Your build is adorable, and fits really well in Sunlit Tides.

You know, I think I could learn a lot from your builds, so I need to study your thread, more. I'm not good at knowing how to make the outside of a house different colors without looking awkward. You and Ciane do it so well, that I know there must be some technique to it. Or maybe art. I just hope that whatever it is, I can eventually learn it. :)
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    I thought it was a glass chess set that you could make glass blowing, but maybe it is an ice sculpture. You can find it in buydebug. It's just a bit cheaper than the most of the other ones. I used it in the last build too, but of course, it was on the back patio then.
    It's the glass one. While there IS an ice chess table you can make - and I think it's the same model - if you sculpturify (using DebugEnabler) a chess table to ice, it just melts. The glass chess set is pretty and sparkly, and much easier to get. :)

I wish there were MORE build items you can craft out of glass, but they didn't really make as many options with that as I would have liked. Accessories are all well and good, but I don't really care for the ones they included. (And I don't think they are CAStable, either.)
  • Options
    @kgaff That is spectacular! I love it! <3 Can't wait to get it in a world and explore! I'm just so glad it all got sorted out, I was truly hurtin for ya (hugs)

@MiaSkywalker I got your build sketched out today, it'll fit on a 30x30 lot with just the keep. I can make it smaller if you'd prefer, or if you are okay going to a 40x40 I'll add a moat.

Otherwise, I think I'm set to start on the shell tonight!
    Currently far I have 4 1/2 above-ground levels, not counting the roof walk-ways, and two below-ground levels.
    A moat! That would be really cool! I've done something like a moat once or twice (on builds I have yet to finish), so I'd like to see how you do it. :) If you make it a fishable one, don't place any spawners in it; if I have to turn the lot, the spawners will multiply.

30x30 would work, or 40x40 with a moat. That will be really cool to see. :)
  • Options
    I think I might have missed commenting on everyone's builds this past time, because I've had so many distractions at home lately. Things that... well, let's just say that not all the distractions have been pleasant ones.

@Kgaff: Of course, you KNOW I'm going to have to immediately download and explore that dungeon you made! Too bad dungeons not in WA worlds don't count towards the Great Explorer achievement. That kind of annoys me. Guess I'm going to have to pop some of our dungeons into those worlds to get them to count, right? :)

@Ciane: You know, I just realized with all the distractions I've had at home lately that I never actually commented on your second build. I adore it! And I love the title! I'm guessing it's a reference to the computer troubles you've had? Well, hopefully those will all get sorted out to your satisfaction. I know it's not as elaborate as the one you had been building for me, but I still love it. :) You were STILL able to get the combination swimming and fishing pond, and that's awesome.

@CreativeMetaphor: I don't remember ever commenting on Mt. Vernon, either. Oh my, it's just so magnificent! It's so cool that you were able to reproduce it so well, and so clever in some of the things you did! (Mooing wall candles to the table was genius! Going to have to use that sometime as well.) I'm trying to think of the best place to put it. I think it would actually go well in most worlds (well, maybe not the tropical ones; would be too hot in summer), but it would fit in best in Moonlight Falls, I think. It could work anywhere, however, and just be one of the older and fancier homes. :)

@Aricarai: I love that build! It's not a style I would play with, but boy would I love to live there for reals! (Except the stairs; just can't manage those anymore without a chair lift.) It's such a light, playful style, that I've never managed to get the knack of. I really do think I need to study some of your builds in my game, to get a good idea of how you do things. Although some of it is probably artistic talent, which I tend to lack.

@ADWilson: Like with Ari, your build isn't one I would use in most of my games (except in RV or SV, which I do play sometimes - but that's usually with my hobo, and he has no home), but it is one I would love to LIVE in. I mean, for real. It's just the kind of place you could sit in, and relax, and just feel ah... life is good. Plus, of course, all that witchy stuff. If only I could do things like that for real!
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor I forgot to show you where it is

It's located in the center of the picture at the top, there's a red arrow. You will have to change the lot to commercial, no visitors and it all should work :)
    Wait, at the top of the picture, there's a little text box that says "Champs le Sims, France". But this build WAS made in DV, right?

You could also set it to "Landmark Tomb", but I've noticed that townies sometimes go to those. I find it very irritating when I'm dungeon crawling, and suddenly I hear Simlish. Then I look around the tomb to see that some of the townies have followed me in. Not to MY tomb, you aren't! No stealing my loot! (boots the townies out using ResetSim) Really, EA should just set the stairs for entering to "Not usable by NPCs". It's not difficult to do, once you know how. Which they should.
  • Options
    Wait. Wait. Layering roofs? She layered roofs? How do you layer roofs? I wanna know! *pouts*
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    ciane wrote: »
    Really nice look Aricarai!

@creativemetaphor - I have some early pics for you.
    Oh, my, that really does fit in well! I love MV, with its Tuscany architecture.

CM, I know the kind of walkways you're talking about. The big park near where I live has many buildings with that kind of walkway around them.

Here's a picture of one of the buildings, that has that kind of walkway.
    2s65668.jpg

It's REALLY nice for walking around the place. I suppose if it actually rained here, it would be good for keeping off the rain. As it is, it's really good for keeping out of the sun. :)

It could probably be done with a series of arches, although they might have to be MOOd to go next to each other.

Edit: Edited for a better picture of them that wasn't oversaturated.
  • Options
    Btw, front page has been updated with all of the builds linked. I don't have the download link for Ari's, but I don't know if she has uploaded it yet.