Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @hannahc1023 YOUR BUILD AT LAST!!

Apologies right up front, I'll be honest, it isn't everything I hoped it would be - at this point I'm just glad it's done. I suppose just knowing what I hoped to achieve is what is most disappointing, because I can't say I dislike the result, just... I had hoped for more. I do hope you enjoy it nonetheless! Additionally, the only play-testing that was done was to ensure the stairs worked, though if they didn't I don't know what I would have done at this point :lol:

But here it is! Your exceptionally huge house for your hopefully equally affluent family of 5. Three floors, upper floor has master suite with his and hers closets and mostly his and hers bathroom sides as well, and a private deck, as well as two offices.

Main floor has gallery hall, kitchen overlooking formal living, formal dining plus a dining deck, study, deck, powder room, as well as attached butler's suite opening onto the garden, and garage.

Daylight basement has three kids' suites, family room, gym, bath, laundry (with kitchenette), pet room, and a pool bath. Outside has patio/deck with pool, hot tub, and family/kids' yard.

I have named it Affluenza! (horrible, I know!)

I uploaded 84 screenshots and I'm still not entirely sure I actually got all the ones that @MiaSkywalker requires, so I hope you'll extend a bit of grace on that.

So here are a few select shots, but the rest will be found on photobucket.
    Screenshot-1_zpsxrghlw39.jpg
    Screenshot-2_zpsgdnkpunn.jpg
    Screenshot-6_zpszgedohbw.jpg
    Screenshot-7_zpssn8pg2dg.jpg
    Screenshot-8_zpsw2vryzxw.jpg

Upstairs
    Screenshot-11_zpsh73emomb.jpg
    Screenshot-17_zpsmjerxgau.jpg
    Screenshot-21_zpsp01kavbf.jpg
    Screenshot-25_zpslclr8no6.jpg

Main Floor
    Screenshot-26_zpsqakaonjo.jpg
    Screenshot-29_zpslolq7tsv.jpg
    Screenshot-32_zps2uflxepw.jpg
    Screenshot-34_zpsdzrsesur.jpg
    Screenshot-45_zpskoichkmr.jpg
    Screenshot-50_zpsytoz6dfz.jpg

Basement
    Screenshot-54_zps8gjpco3l.jpg
    Screenshot-57_zpsibcq4tyy.jpg
    Screenshot-58_zpsxjdbti8l.jpg
    Screenshot-59_zpseuycuvgb.jpg
    Screenshot-60_zpsoidih3yr.jpg
    Screenshot-62_zps8s3ovx9y.jpg
    Screenshot-69_zpsd547m1gl.jpg
    Screenshot-76_zpsrblcd24s.jpg

And last but not least... the view:
    Screenshot-83_zpsztdb60sv.jpg

Also, I just realized from the exchange, I have no idea where the heck Sims thinks the front door to this place is, but they're wrong.
  • Options
    @ciane I DIDN'T EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN YET! *hope*
  • Options
    hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    Fortunately, I think the rest of us aren't asking for anything that large. :)

Yeah, @creativemetaphor I'm so sorry I asked for a large build :# I'm really really thankful that you've persevered, though!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have my fingers crossed for you @creativemetaphor. Just right click on the dccache folder and tell it to restore it to where it was and make a copy of it!

And it looks plenty filled in to me (except for the office, which does look kind of bare). I love the wall you did the CFE wall. It looks great! Nice build! Yay for being done. Hopefully, @Hannahc1023 will love it and hopefully her CFE issue has been resolved too. (Keep in mind you can upload it somewhere and pass me the link to work on that CFE issue for you.)

Oh, and there's a tornado near by and thunderstorms tonight, so if you don't hear from me; I'm just off-line and powered down.
  • Options
    @hannahc1023

Yeah, @creativemetaphor I'm so sorry I asked for a large build :# I'm really really thankful that you've persevered, though!

Don't be sorry!! I didn't have to make it the scale I did, that was on me. And my computer issues were on me, too. I learned *so much* about CFE doing this build, though! So really, thank you!

@ciane RESTORED :mrgreen: *phew* aaaaaand backup made.
  • Options
    Doing a very happy dance for you. Look in there to see if there's anything you might of deleted that you needed. There are only five cache files that you delete. The social one you don't delete if you are working on badges. There are two that are compositor files, one is CAS parts, and the other is a script one that you delete whenever you add a script mod. Usually, I just delete the two compositor ones.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited April 2017
    @MiaSkywalker
    Haha! Boy, you're barely getting it in under the wire. :) I hope deleting those cache files helped with your crashing problems. Fortunately, I think the rest of us aren't asking for anything that large. :)

I think it did, too! However... in doing that... I apparently deleted the cache file that installed all my store content. So I have to reinstall literally every single store item I ever bought. Including worlds. *headdesk* I just. can't. win.

However, I have just finished taking all my screen shots!!!
    Oh, noes! :( Did you already empty your recycle bin? If not, they'll still be in there.

As Ciane said, it's the cache FILES, not the folder, that you need to delete! As you just learned, the cache folder holds all your installed store content. (And the DCBackup folder holds that ever-important ccmerged file that you need for premium content!)

ETA: Oh good, I just hadn't read to the part where you got the files back. Yay!
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Doing a very happy dance for you. Look in there to see if there's anything you might of deleted that you needed. There are only five cache files that you delete. The social one you don't delete if you are working on badges. There are two that are compositor files, one is CAS parts, and the other is a script one that you delete whenever you add a script mod. Usually, I just delete the two compositor ones.

Honestly I just restored absolutely everything I had deleted that day, then went back and deleted just those two files. *so very thankful!!!*
  • Options
    And now... I'm gonna take a nap! :lol:
  • Options
    Also, I just realized from the exchange, I have no idea where the heck Sims thinks the front door to this place is, but they're wrong.
    This is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL build. It's contemporary enough that I can't see myself ever using it in game (except perhaps in Lucky Palms), but I recc'd it. I would love to LIVE in a house like this though. How magnificent! (And real life doesn't have loading times... right?)

Updated the first page with the download and picture links. Now we're just waiting on @hannahc1023. :)

Don't forget that next round actually starts tomorrow (despite some of us being naughty and starting early), so if you haven't already done so, talk to your buildee and see what you can work on together! Interestingly, this time the collaboration is completely two-way - on both accounts!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ok so @MiaSkywalker I walled off the wonky CFE area, but now I'm having trouble placing stairs. I tried spiral as well (but didn't get a picture before my game crashed :( )
    33742010486_3a79b32fd8_b.jpg
    Ignore the random line in the top left, I fixed it right after taking this :)

P.S. Sorry I'm so slow... :#
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor

OH. MY. GOSH. The house looks so amazing! I'm really digging the exterior color scheme.
    I love the master suite, dining room, kitchen and living room especially - incredible job!!
  • Options
    Ok so @MiaSkywalker I walled off the wonky CFE area, but now I'm having trouble placing stairs. I tried spiral as well (but didn't get a picture before my game crashed :( )

Ignore the random line in the top left, I fixed it right after taking this :)
    I find it easier to see what I'm doing if I use some of the buydebug lights while building. I take them out once I've added in the actual lighting, but they give enough light to see if the build is looking the way you want while you're still figuring out things like walls and stairs. And they don't get deleted when you hammer down a wall, nor do they give errors that there's an object in the way of a new wall or window. So, they are very useful building tools, I've found. :)

Walling off the CFE area is as good a resolution as any. I had to do that for the first basement floor of my hobbit hole. Weird things can happen with CFE! (Especially if you aren't used to it.)
  • Options
    @Ciane:

How many children (and what genders) does your family currently have? I probably should know if I need to add an extra bed to one of the rooms. :)
  • Options
    romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    Coming out of lurker mode! :p

@hannahc1023, try the stairs with all cheats off and hold the "ALT" button down while you are placing the stairs. It doesn't always work cause it has to be a step height. Like if you are doing it on open ground the ground will give a bit up or down so the step lands right but when you have a tile or floor at the bottom the height has to be right for the step to land but using the "ALT" button lets it pick more options for the amount of steps needed.

• Options
    Just three children, so your home is has enough for kids and sleepovers no problem!

Hannah, it looks like a CFE problem. make sure you turned off that CFE code and that everything is level.

Storms here. I gotta go!
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @creativemetaphor

Affluenza is quite opulent! The views are majestic and the fact that there is zero store content in this build is a pretty amazing feat/feature. I've heard of his and her sinks as well as closets but this is the first time I've seen his and her showers... which is surprising because it really is a good idea. That kitchen... **swoon**
  • Options
    @Ciane:

Put the GG rug where you wanted it, it looks good there.
    25kiuky.jpg

I found a half-circle rug, and thought to try playing with it and see how it looks with the tea table. I came up with these configurations.
    11lr72t.jpg
    152mjig.jpg
    vqgnqs.jpg
    22ba01.jpg
    14w517c.jpg
    20h2ha8.jpg
    35kvp6a.jpg

Or we could toss all of them and use a GG rug. :lol:
    21eoxol.jpg
  • Options
    The first storm passed, so I jumped on.

Thanks for delurking @romagi1! I mentioned alt earlier in the thread and didn't even think to mention it here!

Great find @MiaSkywalker! That GG rug looks great under the table as it has the illusion of the circle around the table too. Did you play with angling the rug at all?
  • Options
    The first storm passed, so I jumped on.

Thanks for delurking @romagi1! I mentioned alt earlier in the thread and didn't even think to mention it here!

Great find @MiaSkywalker! That GG rug looks great under the table as it has the illusion of the circle around the table too. Did you play with angling the rug at all?
    I did... although I didn't take pictures. I did take pictures of all of the floors, what I have so far. I'll write it all up and post it, and we'll see what you want changed. I think I have everything on the first and second floor the way you want (unless you want me to remove some of the paintings, or CASt their frames, which I haven't done yet), but you'll have to decide what you like and what you want changed on the top two floors. :) (Mostly I think I'm going to leave the attic empty. I have one easel way at the other end from the ladder, for someone who wants to be alone to paint. Other than that, it's just clutter. Well, what would you expect in an attic? :) )
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @Ciane:

As I promised, more pictures. Once again, anything you want changed, let me know. I'm sure there are lots of things on the top two floors you'll want changed, and that's fine.

Floor overviews.
    2vt9vd4.jpg
    v5956e.jpg
    15gv982.jpg
    2n680ty.jpg

First floor.
    2yu15jl.jpg
    23urd09.jpg
    zn2cz8.jpg
    e7b020.jpg

Second floor
    2zp8hoh.jpg
    25jcznr.jpg
    20mcrq.jpg
    2ahz5te.jpg
    2igfy88.jpg
    219yj4i.jpg
    nbbsn.jpg

Third floor
    2m7z2oi.jpg
    2guks5y.jpg
    rumdcj.jpg
    246o1ts.jpg
    2cwk6g.jpg
    2yvs0ee.jpg
    jl2dyw.jpg
    acvo6f.jpg

Attic
    33eoksh.jpg
    1zf33vk.jpg
    smf2j9.jpg

I like the way this is turning out. You know, it's not the largest Victorian in Moonlight Falls (can you believe they plummed out the abbreviation for that?), though. There's at least one that's bigger.

Btw, if you click on the pictures, it will bring you to another page where the picture is enlarged. It's much easier to see details then.
  • Options
    I want to share with you something I learned in art school. Horror vacui (from Latin "fear of empty space") or kenophobia (from Greek "fear of the empty"), is the filling of the entire surface of a space or an artwork with detail (according to Wikipedia, but it's close enough).

I was taught there is a tendency to fill in every space and that it's difficult to leave and appreciate open spaces. We want to keep adding (and changing) things. (My paintings were never done until they were due and I had to stop working on that one to start the next!)

I also learned the phrase that "Less is best." The least amount of something used adds more impact. The more something is used, the less impact it has. If a house (or a room) has only one rug, that rug is a focal point or accents something. A few more rugs can add a bit of variety in shape and color and texture OR they can devalue the other rugs. (I used rugs as an example. It works the same with anything.)

My husband gave me two dozen roses on Valentine's Day. Did I appreciate each of those 24 roses as much as each of the long stemmed roses could be appreciated? Or was their individual character lost a bit amid the rest? Some prefer to be overwhelmed by many, but I prefer the simple few. Unlike most simmers who love a lot of clutter, I prefer the Zen qualities of openness and spacious, minimal surroundings. For me, less is really best!

@MiaSkywalker - You did an excellent job picking things to add to the attic/3d floor. The attic is not too cluttered and all the skilling things and entertainment items you picked are perfect. I like that you've given my Sims a lot of useful items! They will enjoy playing up here!

Keeping in mind that less rugs gives the remaining rugs more impact, I would delete the big rug in the center that has nothing on it and move the billiards table that way. Then I'd move the bar to where the billiards table is. I wouldn't use a rug under a bar. (It'd be too much work to move the bar to take out the rug for cleaning!) I like that you alternated the patterns on the rug in the kids' corner. (I'd keep the crème centered rug and delete the blue centered one there. I don't think they need two rugs there.) I'd like the rug under the chess set to have its patterns switched to a crème center too please. It'll balance the look in the overhead view.

I know you were dreading building for me, but I really, really do LOVE this house and the way you've decorated it and CASted everything. You've incorporated my wishes, even though you'd prefer a bit more.

I can't tell you how much I love your choices and how perfect they are for me. They are! I just sometimes like a little less than most. I am overwhelmed with too much (and so is my system).

I hope you love this house as much as I do and end up enjoying playing your Sims in it as well.

I know that you don't want to upload early so as not to get confused about the order of gifting and where we are in it. That's okay. I had just thought that you wanted to work on your Hobbit house some more, so you could finish this one and turn your energy that way until the next round. My Sims are happy where they are right now and probably can't afford your house yet any way. I was just excited to move them in and share their enjoyment of their new home with you.

Thank you for this wonderful build and for organizing this round robin were we can all share our strengths, attempt something new, appreciate others perspectives, and learn something new.
  • Options
    Happy Weekend Simmers!
    Last night I attempted that build for @ADWilson (early, yes!)
    screenshot-96.jpg But I forgot to put tile on the underside of the "solar panels" so only the top is visible. CFE is not very forgiving and does not always allow you to add tile to stretched floors later, so ....

This morning I decided to start fresh.
    screenshot-119.jpg
    I learned a bit about what to do differently the second time around, such as much cheaper windows!
    screenshot-122.jpg

The price is now under 14k for an unfurnished (completely) home.
    What do you think, Addy?
    Keep the first and rework the top? Keep the second? Or go with the other house?
  • Options
    Happy Weekend Simmers!
    Last night I attempted that build for @ADWilson (early, yes!)
    Oh my, that is gorgeous! A perfect home for LP!
  • Options
    SimmerOfEnglandSimmerOfEngland Posts: 194 Member
    Some stunning work on here! Amazing xx
    ⭐ Say what you think, love who you love 'cause you just get so many trips around the sun ⭐

Simmer since 2009
    S4 content owned - GTW, GT, CL, OR, DO, SD, P, V, KR, SS, BS, FS, BN, RG, MH, LP, PP, LP, CK, VG,
    Sims lost:7