Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Insane Trait

I'm sure there are some, even many, who will think I'm being too sensitive, but as someone who used to work at an independent living center, as well as a person with a mental illness myself, the way the Insane trait is handled in this game really rubs me the wrong way.

I wasn't a fan of the "Insane" trait to begin with, but in The Sims 3, it seemed mostly limited to talking to oneself (something almost everyone does) and doing things like wearing swimsuits to formal occasions. It was more "eccentric" than anything. (I could be wrong about this; it's been a while since I've played The Sims 3.)

In The Sims 4, though, the Insane trait is tied to randomly feeling different emotions. This in itself wouldn't be such a bad thing, but it's the way the whole thing is played for laughs that bothers me. The titles for the moodlets (and for some, the descriptions) are written in Simlish, as opposed to all other moodlets, which are in English, implying that the Insane Sim is speaking gibberish. The worst offender, in my opinion, is the description for the Flirty moodlet, which says, "The voices are speaking in the language of love."

Hearing voices is a specific type of auditory hallucination that is a serious symptom in many different mental illnesses, most famously schizophrenia (itself a highly misunderstood disorder). In most cases, they are not "flirty" or fun; they are disturbing and even terrifying.

I understand that this is supposed to be a lighthearted game, and that the Sims 4 version of the Insane trait is just an attempt to incorporate the new (at the time of its release) concept of emotions in a way that is fun and interesting. But I feel that the way it was utilized does a disservice to those of us who live with mental illness and its stigma every day. I hope that the people in charge read this and are more considerate in future releases in this series.

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    So you want them to take the trait out ?
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Okay l see no problem with the trait . There not mental illnesses, the insane trait . Means your sim is crazy , and do abnormal things . Its not meant to be taking serious . Now if they had real mental illness, and did features like that. Than yes that would be problematic, but since they don't. There is nothing wrong here .
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    I'm sure there are some, even many, who will think I'm being too sensitive, but as someone who used to work at an independent living center, as well as a person with a mental illness myself, the way the Insane trait is handled in this game really rubs me the wrong way.

I wasn't a fan of the "Insane" trait to begin with, but in The Sims 3, it seemed mostly limited to talking to oneself (something almost everyone does) and doing things like wearing swimsuits to formal occasions. It was more "eccentric" than anything. (I could be wrong about this; it's been a while since I've played The Sims 3.)

In The Sims 4, though, the Insane trait is tied to randomly feeling different emotions. This in itself wouldn't be such a bad thing, but it's the way the whole thing is played for laughs that bothers me. The titles for the moodlets (and for some, the descriptions) are written in Simlish, as opposed to all other moodlets, which are in English, implying that the Insane Sim is speaking gibberish. The worst offender, in my opinion, is the description for the Flirty moodlet, which says, "The voices are speaking in the language of love."

Hearing voices is a specific type of auditory hallucination that is a serious symptom in many different mental illnesses, most famously schizophrenia (itself a highly misunderstood disorder). In most cases, they are not "flirty" or fun; they are disturbing and even terrifying.

I understand that this is supposed to be a lighthearted game, and that the Sims 4 version of the Insane trait is just an attempt to incorporate the new (at the time of its release) concept of emotions in a way that is fun and interesting. But I feel that the way it was utilized does a disservice to those of us who live with mental illness and its stigma every day. I hope that the people in charge read this and are more considerate in future releases in this series.

Since the trait is just "insane" and not a specific disorder I fail to see how it is controversial.

Are you saying people with mental disorders are insane?
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Insane people don't like jokes. I tried telling a joke to an elderly insane Bella Goth and it backfired. :/
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2017
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    Since the trait is just "insane" and not a specific disorder I fail to see how it is controversial.

I'm saying that the very concept of "insanity" comes from the fact that people with mental illnesses are often presumed to be incompetent or less deserving of human rights. The word "insane" itself refers to someone who is, mentally, "not all there." This trait could have easily been called "Moody" or "Weird" or "Eccentric," and references to things like "the voices" and speaking gibberish could have been left out. I mean, the Gloomy trait isn't called "Depressed," and the "Evil" trait isn't called "Sociopathic."

I mean, there's a stigma against mental illness as a whole, not just specific disorders.

Again, to sum things up, there's really two things I have a problem with here:

1. The name of the trait, since it has very negative connotations regarding people with mental disorders.
    2. References to real-life symptoms of mental illness like "hearing voices," when it's played for laughs.
  • Options
    To the OP, maybe this insightful responses from another may help you out since they fit this subject.
    ^ Just because something doesn't affect you it shouldn't mean that others shouldn't be respected. People who complain about political correctness tend to do so because they're not the disenfranchised group. And sure, overtly ridiculous things like complaining about Kermit not wearing pants are exaggerated and needless but for progresses to be achieved society has to stop ignoring the problem as the affected make their voices heard. How else do you think many of us have rights to vote, or to own property or to not be sold and used as cattle? Yeah.

The Sims feels lame because it has been dumbed down, and the reason is probably to make the game more palatable to younger kids or to the parents who buy these games.

I never said other people shouldn't be respected. I have no idea how you jumped to that conclusion. I just said it didn't affect me and how I like dark humor.

I'm in a disenfranchised group myself since I'm POC but I still complain about PC, I can 100% understand getting offended at certain things but there are things that people get offended at that are ridiculous. I would elaborate but that isn't what this thread is about so PM me if you want specifics.

Yes, people got the right to vote by breaking boundaries but that's not the issue here. The issue is people getting offended by cake dancers and other silly things.

WHERE are these people?
    All I see here are members spouting garbage, blaming "plum" and "social justice warriors", using this thread to complain about those that they don't like and it's annoying.

They're on tumblr, I've seen it myself.

When the bro trait was announced a bunch of "feminists" (these people are not feminists though, they're extremists, I've yet to meet a feminist in real life who actually hates men) said that the trait encouraged patriarchal views and fed toxic masculinity. The glutton trait was said to be fat-shaming, and the insane trait has always been criticized because people think it makes fun of those with mental illnesses.

When the bro trait was announced a bunch of "feminists" (these people are not feminists though, they're extremists, I've yet to meet a feminist in real life who actually hates men) said that the trait encouraged patriarchal views and fed toxic masculinity. The glutton trait was said to be fat-shaming, and the insane trait has always been criticized because people think it makes fun of those with mental illnesses.

As someone with several (diagnosed) mental illnesses, it annoys me that others speak on my behalf. I do not get offended by such things, I find them funny. Laughing at problems in life, presented in an exaggerated and goofy manner, lifts my mood and makes me feel more resilient.

I have an idea for these people that complain about silly things and speak on my behalf: instead of asking for censorship, maybe they could help people like me get better treatment and better funding for mental health care! That would actually make a REAL difference in my life and countless others! I'm not holding my breath for such thing to happen though. What they do now, doesn't help me at all and I doubt it really helps anyone in a real concrete way.

---

Sorry about this, going back towards the topic... Of course everyone has a right to voice their opinions, even opinions I find silly. They also have a right to feel offended by tiny things, but it goes too far when it imposes itself on others. We're seeing it affecting gaming, possibly including Sims and to me, that is really sad. It's taking the fun out of the games.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Personally I really dislike all the pc nonsense. I aways think that if the people spouting all that 'philosophy' actually stopped thinking about themselves for a moment and got out into the wider world, tried sincerely to help another person, stopped trying to 'understand who they are' and instead tried harder to understand others, the world would be a better place.

People thinking that a sim is being abused when it gets abducted is the height of nonsense. What a load of rubbish, it's all pixels. I say 'get over yourself' and go for a walk outside in the real world for five minutes.

As for the bro trait encouraging patriarchal views and feeding toxic masculinity... pifle. It is up to the player to project whatever they choose onto their sims. So if so called 'feminists' are imagining simmers playing a sim with the Bro trait and projecting this kind of nonsense onto their sim.. well it says an awful lot more about them than it does me when I play male and female sims with the bro trait. I use that trait it because I like to make my sims go to the gym and the sims get a bonus positive moodlet for hanging out together... end of story. I also use the Good trait for the same reason...
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    I understand where you're coming from OP, but I think you're looking too much into it. The trait was not created to mock those who suffer from mental illnesses. I say this as someone who has one themself.

Technically, any trait in The Sims could be interpreted as mocking mental illnesses, the "neat" trait could mock OCD, the "hot-head" trait could mock those who have anger issues, the "glutton" trait could mock those with eating disorders, the "absent-minded" trait could mock those with Autism or Aspergers..I can go on. But all of those traits are harmless.

If the insane trait resembled any real-life mental illnesses, the I would somewhat agree with you. However, it doesn't. It's more like a "crazy" trait. Just because someone is crazy doesn't mean they have a mental illness.
  • Options
    To the OP, maybe this insightful responses from another may help you out since they fit this subject.
    ^ Just because something doesn't affect you it shouldn't mean that others shouldn't be respected. People who complain about political correctness tend to do so because they're not the disenfranchised group. And sure, overtly ridiculous things like complaining about Kermit not wearing pants are exaggerated and needless but for progresses to be achieved society has to stop ignoring the problem as the affected make their voices heard. How else do you think many of us have rights to vote, or to own property or to not be sold and used as cattle? Yeah.

The Sims feels lame because it has been dumbed down, and the reason is probably to make the game more palatable to younger kids or to the parents who buy these games.

I never said other people shouldn't be respected. I have no idea how you jumped to that conclusion. I just said it didn't affect me and how I like dark humor.

I'm in a disenfranchised group myself since I'm POC but I still complain about PC, I can 100% understand getting offended at certain things but there are things that people get offended at that are ridiculous. I would elaborate but that isn't what this thread is about so PM me if you want specifics.

Yes, people got the right to vote by breaking boundaries but that's not the issue here. The issue is people getting offended by cake dancers and other silly things.

WHERE are these people?
    All I see here are members spouting garbage, blaming "plum" and "social justice warriors", using this thread to complain about those that they don't like and it's annoying.

As someone with several (diagnosed) mental illnesses, it annoys me that others speak on my behalf. I do not get offended by such things, I find them funny. Laughing at problems in life, presented in an exaggerated and goofy manner, lifts my mood and makes me feel more resilient.

I have an idea for these people that complain about silly things and speak on my behalf: instead of asking for censorship, maybe they could help people like me get better treatment and better funding for mental health care! That would actually make a REAL difference in my life and countless others! I'm not holding my breath for such thing to happen though. What they do now, doesn't help me at all and I doubt it really helps anyone in a real concrete way.

---

Sorry about this, going back towards the topic... Of course everyone has a right to voice their opinions, even opinions I find silly. They also have a right to feel offended by tiny things, but it goes too far when it imposes itself on others. We're seeing it affecting gaming, possibly including Sims and to me, that is really sad. It's taking the fun out of the games.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Personally I really dislike all the pc nonsense. I aways think that if the people spouting all that 'philosophy' actually stopped thinking about themselves for a moment and got out into the wider world, tried sincerely to help another person, stopped trying to 'understand who they are' and instead tried harder to understand others, the world would be a better place.

People thinking that a sim is being abused when it gets abducted is the height of nonsense. What a load of rubbish, it's all pixels. I say 'get over yourself' and go for a walk outside in the real world for five minutes.

As for the bro trait encouraging patriarchal views and feeding toxic masculinity... pifle. It is up to the player to project whatever they choose onto their sims. So if so called 'feminists' are imagining simmers playing a sim with the Bro trait and projecting this kind of nonsense onto their sim.. well it says an awful lot more about them than it does me when I play male and female sims with the bro trait. I use that trait it because I like to make my sims go to the gym and the sims get a bonus positive moodlet for hanging out together... end of story. I also use the Good trait for the same reason...

That person has every right to not be offended by the Insane trait. I don't know. "Offended" is probably too strong a word for what I'm feeling. I feel uncomfortable, and yes, a little hurt.

Too many people claim that the ones who get offended are the people who aren't affected by the issue. That is untrue. I am very much affected by this issue. I'm very open about having OCD, and I don't like people making assumptions about me because of it. It irritates me when people trivialize OCD and turn it into a joke.

Insanity is defined as "in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill." The only reason I'm NOT "seriously mentally ill" in the present is because of a combination of medication and therapy. Laughing at people who "hear voices" contributes to a system that sees people with mental disorders--especially those who act "unacceptably"--as less than human.

The Sims 4 may be "just a game," but the equating of insanity with "silly" things is an example of a microaggression: "a statement, action, or incident regarded as an instance of indirect, subtle, or unintentional discrimination against members of a marginalized group such as a racial or ethnic minority." It's like if there were a "Girly" trait that made the Sim shallow, catty, and obsessed with fashion and boyfriends.

I am just one person. And this is not censorship; it's merely a suggestion. Feedback. That's what this forum is for. You're free to disagree with me, but don't call it "censorship." I'm not the government. (I know you yourself did not say "censorship." I'm talking about the user quoted above.)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    To be honest, if they just took out the "voices" reference, it wouldn't bother me so much. It just feels way too specific to me. Everyone has unhappy thoughts, but "hearing voices" is a very specific sort of mental illness symptom that is almost always played for laughs. And combined with the name "Insane"--which, in itself, wouldn't be that bad, in my opinion--it's extremely unfortunate.

The joke about "the voices" just seemed needlessly hurtful to me.

ETA: So it's really the whole presentation of the "Insane" trait that makes me dislike the name of the trait in The Sims 4. The presentation in The Sims 3 wasn't as big a problem for me. But this just hits too close to home. (The description of the Sad moodlet associated with the Insane trait reminds me of my own intrusive thoughts, but at least it's not treated as a joke.)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    very specific, but it is just only one, right? :) I know you have the right to be offended while I have every right to be not, which both goes for everybody, but I do believe you take it a wee bit personal. "Voices" aren't exactly directed towards those who have your type of mental illness. IMO is referenced to who do "hear" the voices figuratively, and I don't think it is necessary related towards to any disorder or illness of any kind. If they did used an actual medical term, than I would agree completely with you and it would be uncalled for EA and something will need to dealt with that serious problem.

I also wanna point your sims aren't forced to have this trait :). If you find it very offensive, you can avoid the moodlet by not simple applying the Insane trait to the sim you're creating or just removing it via cheats from the moved-in sims. Like how @TheSingingSimmer said, your isn't the only one who might offend anyone :)

I for once can get upset and offended If, hypothetically had my irl grandma passed by drowing in a pond. Would I get offended If my sim in-game had drowned too, which is the fault of developers of implanting that type of death? Maybe a little, but I'm not gonna demand them to remove it or not introduced into other iteration of the games, because it would self-ish of me. They didn't intend it towards the death of my grandma, which same goes for your case: they didn't use the actual mental term "schizophrenia" to mock of your illness. Rather - it is suppose to represent of crazy people, not actually the mentally-ill people, on how they suppose to act and behave while their crazy-- one of them being talking to yourself and hear voices.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Understandable. I just want people to understand where I'm coming from. You don't have to agree with me.

I prefer not to use the Insane trait, but when you're doing a challenge that involves using a random trait generator, you kind of go with what you get.

I do think The Sims 4 (and the series in general) is, for the most part, a progressive game. I love what they did by removing gender barriers. I like the fact that Sunset Valley achieved marriage equality before the United States. I like the silly pop culture and internet meme references. I love a lot about this game.

I'm not crying myself to sleep over this, and I'm not going to do a callout post on everyone here. I'm just offering feedback on how I think the game could be more inclusive to people like myself. That's all.
  • Options

I'm saying that the very concept of "insanity" comes from the fact that people with mental illnesses are often presumed to be incompetent or less deserving of human rights. The word "insane" itself refers to someone who is, mentally, "not all there." This trait could have easily been called "Moody" or "Weird" or "Eccentric," and references to things like "the voices" and speaking gibberish could have been left out. I mean, the Gloomy trait isn't called "Depressed," and the "Evil" trait isn't called "Sociopathic."

I mean, there's a stigma against mental illness as a whole, not just specific disorders.

Again, to sum things up, there's really two things I have a problem with here:

1. The name of the trait, since it has very negative connotations regarding people with mental disorders.
    2. References to real-life symptoms of mental illness like "hearing voices," when it's played for laughs.

I´d say moody is moody, eccentric is eccentric.
    There is a difference between a sociopath and a psychopath, and if you´re refering to evil, I´d pin it on the psychopath.

Depression.
    Is gloomy depression?

I´d say no.
    Depression is not feeling gloomy. Depression is depression.
    One can feel a little blue, gloomy.

And I dont agree with you that insane refers to someone who is not mentally "all there", but perhaps it is just a matter of opinion.
    Insane to me, is insane.

Completely, ape 🐸🐸🐸🐸 insane.

You know, like the Donald.
  • Options
    There is a difference between a sociopath and a psychopath, and if you´re refering to evil, I´d pin it on the psychopath.

Depression.
    Is gloomy depression?

I´d say no.

And I dont agree with you that insane refers to someone who is not mentally "all there", but perhaps it is just a matter of opinion.
    Insane to me, is insane.

Completely, ape plum insane.

That's what I'm saying. They did it right with traits like "Gloomy" and "Evil." But when you're dealing with a trait like "Insane," you should remove any semblance of mental illness so that people don't confuse definitions. Hearing voices is almost always portrayed in popular culture as not only being linked to "insanity," but also as something only experienced by dangerous people (i.e. "the voices told me to kill those children") or something that's "funny." The very presence of this symptom--which, unlike "feeling sad" or "being a jerk to people," is almost always treated as a symptom of a mental illness--as a hallmark of the "Insane" trait makes it clear that this is not just a trait you ascribe to somebody's who's totally wacky. It is linked to a very specific symptom of many mental illnesses.

I don't know how else I can explain this. All I'm hoping at this point is that people will understand where I'm coming from. Having a different opinion does not mean I am overreacting. I think I'm making a good point, just as I think people who had a problem with the Bro and Gluttony traits had a point, even if I didn't agree with them in the end.
  • Options
    I understand where you're coming, but I just don't thing something can, or at least neccesary should, be done with that. We can only agree to disagree and that's all ;):)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    That's fair.
  • Options

Depression.
    Is gloomy depression?

I´d say no.

Insane to me, is insane.

Completely, ape plum insane.

That's what I'm saying. They did it right with traits like "Gloomy" and "Evil." But when you're dealing with a trait like "Insane," you should remove any semblance of mental illness so that people don't confuse definitions. Hearing voices is almost always portrayed in popular culture as not only being linked to "insanity," but also as something only experienced by dangerous people (i.e. "the voices told me to kill those children") or something that's "funny." The very presence of this symptom--which, unlike "feeling sad" or "being a jerk to people," is almost always treated as a symptom of a mental illness--as a hallmark of the "Insane" trait makes it clear that this is not just a trait you ascribe to somebody's who's totally wacky. It is linked to a very specific symptom of many mental illnesses.

I don't know how else I can explain this. All I'm hoping at this point is that people will understand where I'm coming from. Having a different opinion does not mean I am overreacting. I think I'm making a good point, just as I think people who had a problem with the Bro and Gluttony traits had a point, even if I didn't agree with them in the end.

As someone who work proffessionally with individuals with mental disorders, and someone who´s brain probably isn´t really wired like normal people, I feel the opposite from what you seem to feel.

I feel that being able to laugh about different aspects of mental illness lowers the social stigma. Mental illness used to be something you just didn´t speak of. You locked the mentally ill away and tossed away the key.

Although, with that said, what irks me with the sims 4 version of "insane", is the constant "being a jerk to people" as you put it. It´s just not particularly funny in my opinion.
  • Options

As someone who work proffessionally with individuals with mental disorders, and someone who´s brain probably isn´t really wired like normal people, I feel the opposite from what you seem to feel.

I feel that being able to laugh about different aspects of mental illness lowers the social stigma. Mental illness used to be something you just didn´t speak of. You locked the mentally ill away and tossed away the key.

Although, with that said, what irks me with the sims 4 version of "insane", is the constant "being a jerk to people" as you put it. It´s just not particularly funny in my opinion.

To be fair, one does need to strike a balance. I agree that it's important to be able to laugh at one's own troubles. I think there's something to be said for portraying characters with mental illnesses making jokes about it. I often joke about my OCD, but my feathers ruffle when someone without OCD turns it into a joke. (There is an exception, and that's if a very close friend of mine is joking about my OCD in particular.) Unfortunately, in The Sims, there's not really an opportunity to unambiguously state that it's the person with the mental illness making jokes about it. Sims are whatever we make them out to be. I just feel like this whole "hearing voices is funny lol" thing is taking it too far. If some random person who plays The Sims wants to make jokes about mental illness, that's on them, but it's a bit disheartening to hear it from the game itself.

Yeah, I've noticed that "Insane" Sims tend to be rude to other Sims! Did they do that in The Sims 3? My Insane Sim is always yelling at and insulting everyone, even family. So is his daughter, although she also has the Mean trait.

Let me make one thing clear. I don't think the makers of the game threw in this trait with the intent to make fun of people who have mental illnesses. The whole "hearing voices" thing isn't something a lot of people really think about. I remember laughing at "Listen to the voices" jokes when I was a kid. It was like "I see dead people" or whatever. I'm sure the people who designed the Insane trait were thinking something similar.
  • Options

To be fair, one does need to strike a balance. I agree that it's important to be able to laugh at one's own troubles. I think there's something to be said for portraying characters with mental illnesses making jokes about it. I often joke about my OCD, but my feathers ruffle when someone without OCD turns it into a joke. (There is an exception, and that's if a very close friend of mine is joking about my OCD in particular.) Unfortunately, in The Sims, there's not really an opportunity to unambiguously state that it's the person with the mental illness making jokes about it. Sims are whatever we make them out to be. I just feel like this whole "hearing voices is funny lol" thing is taking it too far. If some random person who plays The Sims wants to make jokes about mental illness, that's on them, but it's a bit disheartening to hear it from the game itself.

Yeah, I've noticed that "Insane" Sims tend to be rude to other Sims! Did they do that in The Sims 3? My Insane Sim is always yelling at and insulting everyone, even family. So is his daughter, although she also has the Mean trait.

Let me make one thing clear. I don't think the makers of the game threw in this trait with the intent to make fun of people who have mental illnesses. The whole "hearing voices" thing isn't something a lot of people really think about. I remember laughing at "Listen to the voices" jokes when I was a kid. It was like "I see dead people" or whatever. I'm sure the people who designed the Insane trait were thinking something similar.

We´re just going to have to agree to disagree.

I don´t feel it´s different making a joke about hearing voices than making a joke about neurotics washing their hands a particular number of times for example.

I still play sims 3, and the "insane" are less exaggerated. I have not noticed them being compulsory rude.

• Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    That only works if you're being able to laugh with the mentally ill, I really really do not think mocking them is progressive in any way.

Thanks for this post OP, you're making good points I hadn't considered before. I have some insane sims and I always used that trait with the "eccentric" angle, but I agree that very few adjustments could have made it not hit so close to home for some people, now that you point it out. Including the very baggage heavy name.
    We can all do better.

Funny thing how the first post litterally ends with
    I hope that the people in charge read this and are more considerate in future releases in this series.
    and the first response was
    So you want them to take the trait out ?
    Great reading comprehension skills !
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    This is an interesting discussion and certainly worth having.
    I personally have always thought that "insane" and "mentally ill" were different things. While "mentally ill" refers to a disorder, that can be treated to some degree with therapy and/or medication, "insane" to me was always a temporary state of losing ones grasp on reality due to an extraordinary situation (e.g. loss of a loved one). Not sure why I thought so.
    That being said, I never used the "insane" trait up until a few months ago. I was not comfortable with it, because I associate insanity with pain and suffering. I tried it on one Sim a few months ago and liked the fact that the Sim was a bit more difficult to play due to the unexpected emotion changes, but that has nothing to do with the argument.
    While I don't think there were any bad intentions - and neither does the OP - the fact that it makes people uncomfortable is a valid reason for reconsidering either the naming or the implementation of this trait in future sims games.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options

We´re just going to have to agree to disagree.

I don´t feel it´s different making a joke about hearing voices than making a joke about neurotics washing their hands a particular number of times for example.

I still play sims 3, and the "insane" are less exaggerated. I have not noticed them being compulsory rude.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the information.

• Options
    happyopi wrote: »
    That only works if you're being able to laugh with the mentally ill, I really really do not think mocking them is progressive in any way.

In that case, what can we laugh about?
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I ... just told you ? If you're keen on laughing about mental illness, join in the mentally ills' sense of humour.

So do not ask me, not a mentally ill person, the green light.

Can we get back on topic now ?
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    The Sims is a life simulation and therefore it is the question whether anything is out of bounds. It seems that some things are (e.g. physical disabilities)?. I do not think the insane trait was included to mock the mentally ill, but one may ask why it was implemented in this way. When I was playing this one sim I equipped with the trait, I mainly found her to be quirky and cute and somewhat more difficult to handle (at least when she was not a nicely decorated room, which overrides any kind of emotion). Is this tantamount to trivializing the issue of mental illness or is it an exercise in integration or completion of the (human) experience? The Sims is a game and that would suggest it is not to be taken seriously, but many have commented on its "therapeutic" effects. How it helps release stress to immerse in this world where the player decides who succeeds, who fails, who lives and who dies. And people do take this game seriously and get very passionate about its features (and restrictions).
    I don't know the answer to any of the questions above but if a member of a group that historically has been disenfranchised, oppressed or discriminated against in any shape or form, expresses their concerns, eloquently and respectfully, then surely this is something to seriously consider for the future of the franchise.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...