The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I finally understand why The Sims 4 has lost its spark in comparison to previous games

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    ^ Just because something doesn't affect you it shouldn't mean that others shouldn't be respected. People who complain about political correctness tend to do so because they're not the disenfranchised group. And sure, overtly ridiculous things like complaining about Kermit not wearing pants are exaggerated and needless but for progresses to be achieved society has to stop ignoring the problem as the affected make their voices heard. How else do you think many of us have rights to vote, or to own property or to not be sold and used as cattle? Yeah.

The Sims feels lame because it has been dumbed down, and the reason is probably to make the game more palatable to younger kids or to the parents who buy these games.

I never said other people shouldn't be respected. I have no idea how you jumped to that conclusion. I just said it didn't affect me and how I like dark humor.

I'm in a disenfranchised group myself since I'm POC but I still complain about PC, I can 100% understand getting offended at certain things but there are things that people get offended at that are ridiculous. I would elaborate but that isn't what this thread is about so PM me if you want specifics.

Yes, people got the right to vote by breaking boundaries but that's not the issue here. The issue is people getting offended by cake dancers and other silly things.

WHERE are these people?
    All I see here are members spouting garbage, blaming "plum" and "social justice warriors", using this thread to complain about those that they don't like and it's annoying.

They're on tumblr, I've seen it myself.

When the bro trait was announced a bunch of "feminists" (these people are not feminists though, they're extremists, I've yet to meet a feminist in real life who actually hates men) said that the trait encouraged patriarchal views and fed toxic masculinity. The glutton trait was said to be fat-shaming, and the insane trait has always been criticized because people think it makes fun of those with mental illnesses.

People who want to watch the world burn... Because they cant take a joke or take life way too seriously
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    GypsyPrinceGypsyPrince Posts: 118 Member
    Childified sounds about right.

But the majority of its players now all have grandchildren so idk what they're getting at reductive.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    ^ Just because something doesn't affect you it shouldn't mean that others shouldn't be respected. People who complain about political correctness tend to do so because they're not the disenfranchised group. And sure, overtly ridiculous things like complaining about Kermit not wearing pants are exaggerated and needless but for progresses to be achieved society has to stop ignoring the problem as the affected make their voices heard. How else do you think many of us have rights to vote, or to own property or to not be sold and used as cattle? Yeah.

The Sims feels lame because it has been dumbed down, and the reason is probably to make the game more palatable to younger kids or to the parents who buy these games.

I never said other people shouldn't be respected. I have no idea how you jumped to that conclusion. I just said it didn't affect me and how I like dark humor.

I'm in a disenfranchised group myself since I'm POC but I still complain about PC, I can 100% understand getting offended at certain things but there are things that people get offended at that are ridiculous. I would elaborate but that isn't what this thread is about so PM me if you want specifics.

Yes, people got the right to vote by breaking boundaries but that's not the issue here. The issue is people getting offended by cake dancers and other silly things.

WHERE are these people?
    All I see here are members spouting garbage, blaming "plum" and "social justice warriors", using this thread to complain about those that they don't like and it's annoying.

When the bro trait was announced a bunch of "feminists" (these people are not feminists though, they're extremists, I've yet to meet a feminist in real life who actually hates men) said that the trait encouraged patriarchal views and fed toxic masculinity. The glutton trait was said to be fat-shaming, and the insane trait has always been criticized because people think it makes fun of those with mental illnesses.
    I consider this kind of arguing humour-, sense of perspective- and resilience-shaming. Far more dangerous.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Personally I really dislike all the pc nonsense. I aways think that if the people spouting all that 'philosophy' actually stopped thinking about themselves for a moment and got out into the wider world, tried sincerely to help another person, stopped trying to 'understand who they are' and instead tried harder to understand others, the world would be a better place.

People thinking that a sim is being abused when it gets abducted is the height of nonsense. What a load of rubbish, it's all pixels. I say 'get over yourself' and go for a walk outside in the real world for five minutes.

As for the bro trait encouraging patriarchal views and feeding toxic masculinity... pifle. It is up to the player to project whatever they choose onto their sims. So if so called 'feminists' are imagining simmers playing a sim with the Bro trait and projecting this kind of nonsense onto their sim.. well it says an awful lot more about them than it does me when I play male and female sims with the bro trait. I use that trait it because I like to make my sims go to the gym and the sims get a bonus positive moodlet for hanging out together... end of story. I also use the Good trait for the same reason...
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Personally I really dislike all the pc nonsense. I aways think that if the people spouting all that 'philosophy' actually stopped thinking about themselves for a moment and got out into the wider world, tried sincerely to help another person, stopped trying to 'understand who they are' and instead tried harder to understand others, the world would be a better place.

People thinking that a sim is being abused when it gets abducted is the height of nonsense. What a load of rubbish, it's all pixels. I say 'get over yourself' and go for a walk outside in the real world for five minutes.

As for the bro trait encouraging patriarchal views and feeding toxic masculinity... pifle. It is up to the player to project whatever they choose onto their sims. So if so called 'feminists' are imagining simmers playing a sim with the Bro trait and projecting this kind of nonsense onto their sim.. well it says an awful lot more about them than it does me when I play male and female sims with the bro trait. I use that trait it because I like to make my sims go to the gym and the sims get a bonus positive moodlet for hanging out together... end of story. I also use the Good trait for the same reason...
    This reminds me of what I read a little while ago. Someone showing her sim with a light brown colour and black curly hair and someone asking: "What's his ethnicity." Apparently that's a thing at the moment (I kind of live under a stone in this respect so I didn't know). The answer: "He's a sim." Lol, quite right :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

This reminds me of what I read a little while ago. Someone showing her sim with a light brown colour and black curly hair and someone asking: "What's his ethnicity." Apparently that's a thing at the moment (I kind of live under a stone in this respect so I didn't know). The answer: "He's a sim." Lol, quite right :D

Simlish ;)
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member

WHERE are these people?

People who want to watch the world burn... Because they cant take a joke or take life way too seriously

What really makes me mad is that these people are giving society the impression that all feminists hate men and think that they're the cause of all their problems when in reality that is not what feminism is about. I've met several feminists myself and none of them hated men or blamed the entire gender for their problems.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,528 Member
    I posted this in another thread a little while back, and I think it suits this conversation as well...
    LiELF wrote: »
    I have a theory, but some people may consider it a little bit controversial. And before I say this, for the record, I'm American.

The Sims games have always followed real life American trends. They've been pretty open about this, and somewhere in the course of the current game (I really can't remember when or where I saw it...sorry!) have stated this regarding Sims 4. The problem with this kind of decision is that no one is paying attention to whether or not the current trends actually work to make an entertaining video game. I mean, what's trending in America? Obsessive cell phone use to the detriment of social activity, video games, television, and movie watching at the expense of physical activity, and overly sensitive, politically correct movements that tiptoe around unpleasant issues so that people are coddled from the ugly truths that are sometimes necessary life obstacles that teach people to gain inner strength, or find connection with each other to share support, or laugh things off together, or find ways to cope. American society is also very middle-class obsessed, privileged, and somewhat narcissistic, and people have become very emotion-driven (especially on the internet) to the point of selfishness.

When these things are put into a video game like the Sims, you get a very dull, shallow, "safe", neutral game full of glazed happiness that seeks to avoid upsetting the players with any content that might be considered dark or controversial. It's a game built on egg shells to spare real life feelings by exaggerating simulated emotional positivity in excess.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't pay attention to controversy at all, or that they shouldn't show some sensitivity where it's really needed, but in comparison to Sims games of the past, and looking at what was taken away, the only thing left for our Sims to do is eat. And I, for one, am SO sick of the food obsession.

This is just my perspective for the purpose of the game, I'm not at all trying to bash America. I just mourn sometimes what "could have been" the Sims 4.

I enjoy playing Sims 4. But I definitely feel the vacancy left behind with the omission of some of the past humor. It affects the replayability value for me and makes the game feel diluted, no matter what packs I add in. Maybe I'll feel differently if they ever decide to give us supernaturals. But I do harbor some doubts as to what those supernaturals will turn out to be like.

Honestly, I knew darker humor in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons back in the day. And I used to watch them as a kid with my grandmother. :/
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    gamingstylistgamingstylist Posts: 115 Member
    If that were to happen, that means we let the PC-friendly, offended-by-its-own-shadow society walk right all over us.

I know, I hate when companies let the overly offended dictate games because they're loud enough to make a fuss but they usually never actually play the games. Well as I said hopefully if there's a Sims 5 it's not watered down like Sims 4 and we get some of the old humor we had instead of angry poops
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If that were to happen, that means we let the PC-friendly, offended-by-its-own-shadow society walk right all over us.

I know, I hate when companies let the overly offended dictate games because they're loud enough to make a fuss but they usually never actually play the games. Well as I said hopefully if there's a Sims 5 it's not watered down like Sims 4 and we get some of the old humor we had instead of angry poops

I want to see Will Wright humour back. It is about time Sims actually got angry when you woke them up early again ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimaniacgirlSimaniacgirl Posts: 34 Member

As someone with several (diagnosed) mental illnesses, it annoys me that others speak on my behalf. I do not get offended by such things, I find them funny. Laughing at problems in life, presented in an exaggerated and goofy manner, lifts my mood and makes me feel more resilient.

I have an idea for these people that complain about silly things and speak on my behalf: instead of asking for censorship, maybe they could help people like me get better treatment and better funding for mental health care! That would actually make a REAL difference in my life and countless others! I'm not holding my breath for such thing to happen though. What they do now, doesn't help me at all and I doubt it really helps anyone in a real concrete way.

---

Sorry about this, going back towards the topic... Of course everyone has a right to voice their opinions, even opinions I find silly. They also have a right to feel offended by tiny things, but it goes too far when it imposes itself on others. We're seeing it affecting gaming, possibly including Sims and to me, that is really sad. It's taking the fun out of the games.

• Options

As someone with several (diagnosed) mental illnesses, it annoys me that others speak on my behalf. I do not get offended by such things, I find them funny. Laughing at problems in life, presented in an exaggerated and goofy manner, lifts my mood and makes me feel more resilient.

I have an idea for these people that complain about silly things and speak on my behalf: instead of asking for censorship, maybe they could help people like me get better treatment and better funding for mental health care! That would actually make a REAL difference in my life and countless others! I'm not holding my breath for such thing to happen though. What they do now, doesn't help me at all and I doubt it really helps anyone in a real concrete way.

---

Sorry about this, going back towards the topic... Of course everyone has a right to voice their opinions, even opinions I find silly. They also have a right to feel offended by tiny things, but it goes too far when it imposes itself on others. We're seeing it affecting gaming, possibly including Sims and to me, that is really sad. It's taking the fun out of the games.

This right here... You've said it all... They have an episode on south park with this concept. If you have ever watched. And as all may know that show has things that woukd be considered highly offensive to Everyone equally, however I still find its content hilarious.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited September 2016

WHERE are these people?

What really makes me mad is that these people are giving society the impression that all feminists hate men and think that they're the cause of all their problems when in reality that is not what feminism is about. I've met several feminists myself and none of them hated men or blamed the entire gender for their problems.

My bad pressed posted comment too soon before I could,comment lol. Anyway I agree, I have REAL feminist friends who dont try to bring,men down or man bash or anything like they they genuinely want equality for women and all to be treated fairly. But unfortunately thats how our society works (at least in the us for sure). They take the negative and bad and exploit it giving the idea of that specific group being this or that when in reality there are more people who are positively influencing that persay group.