Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living Constructive Criticism Thread.

papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
Welcome to the City Living constructive criticism thread.

This thread is for those of us who think CL falls short in one aspect or another. Here we can discuss why we didn't buy it, or if we did buy it, what it could have done better.

Please note: This thread isn't for bashing, nor is it a place to argue others opinions. This is a place for people to let the devs know what you feel they could have done better and what to add or improve upon next time. Fans and skeptics welcome. Be good to each other and post about THE GAME. This is not a place to try to invalidate others opinions. If criticisms about the game upsets you, this probably isn't the best thread to read.
Post edited by papersuitcase on

Comments

• Options
    OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    Have you played CL?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Have you played CL?

No, and I listed the reasons why I didnt buy it.
  • Options
    DiabolicalAFDiabolicalAF Posts: 70 Member
    Love a good constructive criticism thread.Will be keeping an eye out.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @papersuitcase at the Spice festival you are able to buy spices to use in your cooking at home
  • Options
    TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    The only constructive criticism I'd have is that we should be able to own apartments along with regular households not sure how they would implement it but it would be nice to have an apartment on the side even though I can have penthouses. I like the new EP a lot
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• Options
    JaclynMJaclynM Posts: 8 New Member
    Achievements added in the base game and all subsequent expansions added achievements, WHY DID CITY LIVING NOT INCLUDE ANY?!?!??!
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I actually found a way to criticize the aesthetics, which is sad given this should be it's strongest suit:

I want you all to load up your game and go to Windenburg. Once you have Windenburg loaded up, either go to the neighborhood that has Partihaus in it, or go to the neighborhood that has Discothek Pan Europa in it. Once there, take a look around. Just start moving the camera around and look at the neighborhood to see how the buildings of the neighborhood are connected. You'll find the neighborhood itself is very expansive and very detailed, with little painting canvases, benches and unique statues all over the place. Heck, there's plenty of areas that lead to no actual lots, and yet have a lot of detail put into them.

Now go watch a Let's Play of City Living, or even look at the basic overlay map. What do you notice?

Circular neighborhoods every single time.

Every neighborhood is practically the exact same layout: four lots encircled around a festival grounds area. There's no additional roads to explore, there's no variety in where Sims walk or gather, it's always always ALWAYS the same. Even areas such as the neighborhood in Oasis Springs where you find the Caliente household...? That neighborhood has sims walking all over the place, fishing at some fishing spots here and there, and generally making use of every bit of sidewalk.

The same cannot be said for City Living. Really take a look at the outer sidewalks, and you'll notice they're absolutely barren. EVERY Sim in the neighborhood gravitates towards the festival grounds, and if a sim is found walking on the outer sidewalks in front of apartments or the like, you can make a safe bet they're either on their way to the festival grounds or on their way out of the neighborhood entirely. The entire neighborhood is built like they want you to focus all your attention to that festival ground area, and you know why? Because there's literally nothing else in the entire neighborhood.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does ANYONE remember seeing a kids playground anywhere ala some of the neighborhoods in Oasis Springs and Newcrest? Does anyone recall seeing another square where you can sit and relax, grill or play chess? Off the top of my head I think I recall ONE neighborhood having the space for a basketball court near the festival grounds and that's it. I could be mistaken of course, but the point is that the festival grounds are pretty much it in terms of detail. You're not gonna find places to scrounge for the vanilla collectibles, you're not gonna find back roads that are quiet and secluded but still have things of interest, and you're not going to see ANY variance in the makeup of the neighborhood layout; the rich district is probably as different as it gets, but even that's the exact same layout with a different coat of paint.

Even their creativity in terms of neighborhood layouts seems lacking here, because if you've seen one neighborhood, you've seen them all. There's no incentive to explore and look around, because everything is right there in front of you in a perfectly circular neighborhood where you can see everything, and that's the case pretty much every single time.

For a pack that seems to have tried to utilize visual aesthetics, it's amazing to me that the neighborhood layouts themselves are practically identical and devoid of anything overtly unique to help make them feel special.

I agree with this so much. While the City Living hoods are way more detailed, Windenburg feels like it has more soul. I feel like when I'm in San Myshuno, I'll still crave Windenburg.

The Neighborhoods should have more too them.
  • Options
    112061112061 Posts: 273 Member
    There are no lots to build on? We can't build our own apartments? And the lot traits are already set and can't be changed? Is this correct?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    112061 wrote: »
    There are no lots to build on? We can't build our own apartments? And the lot traits are already set and can't be changed? Is this correct?

Not exactly, no. There are penthouse lots and some ground lots that you can build on - they just aren't empty lots. The interior of each apartment is editable. Selected lot traits cannot be removed but otherwise they are changeable.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    112061 wrote: »

Zero empty lots in San Myshuno, attempting to place apartment buildings in other worlds just results in normal housing, existing apartments cannot be edited beyond their confined space and shape, lot traits can mostly be changed with few exceptions.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    ashleyl2203ashleyl2203 Posts: 322 Member
    edited November 2016
    So far I have just a few things that let me down. One would be being able to wipe the lot traits out completely and put all 3 of my choices there instead of being stuck with the first one for every lot. Secondly would be not being able to place a foundation level on penthouses. I would understand this if elevators were usable but they aren't. I built an amazing build and saved it to my library and put in on a penthouse lot with sunken rooms and it completely ruined the aesthetic when the foundation wasn't allowed to be there, for what reason?! So penthouses aren't like normal lots then.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    So far I have just a few things that let me down. One would be being able to wipe the lot traits out completely and put all 3 of my choices there instead of being stuck with the first one for every lot. Secondly would be not being able to place a foundation level on penthouses. I would understand this if elevators were usable but they aren't. I built an amazing build and saved it to my library and put in on a penthouse lot with sunken rooms and it completely ruined the aesthetic when the foundation wasn't allowed to be there, for what reason?! So penthouses aren't like normal lots then.

Not every lot has locked in traits
  • Options
    My gripe is about earthquakes. Why doesn't anything more happen? My screen shakes and my sim freaks out a smidge and then goes back to doing whatever she was doing before, but now she's tense. Id have liked it to be more dramatic, have something break permanently and needing replacement since it's beyond repair. And the no elevator animation bugs me a little more than I thought it would. Where my family is from when food is really good people say "yup she really put her foot in it" meaning the person just put their everything into something. I feel like on some things the devs just dabbled their toes. I'm having fun, but a little more effort would have been nice.

That's a disappointment. Good suggestions.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    My gripe is about earthquakes. Why doesn't anything more happen? My screen shakes and my sim freaks out a smidge and then goes back to doing whatever she was doing before, but now she's tense. Id have liked it to be more dramatic, have something break permanently and needing replacement since it's beyond repair. And the no elevator animation bugs me a little more than I thought it would. Where my family is from when food is really good people say "yup she really put her foot in it" meaning the person just put their everything into something. I feel like on some things the devs just dabbled their toes. I'm having fun, but a little more effort would have been nice.

Might be worth seeing more earthquakes, though. They said in a liveplay that there's a 1-10 scale for them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    Have had an earthquake yet. Just started playing and it's interesting. I had her move into an apartment in the art district. She seems to be enjoying herself.
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member

Might be worth seeing more earthquakes, though. They said in a liveplay that there's a 1-10 scale for them.

They also said that it was just shaking the screen and affecting your sim's mood, but I guess we'll have to wait that someone get a level 10 one to tell us if it does anything else.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    The only criticism I have about the pack is that I feel all the lot traits should be optional and not locked. It's fine if they want the cheap apartments to begin with default 'ugly' traits to reflect really poor quality, but if I wanna go into build mode (even if I have to do it in free mode without a Sim living there, that's fine by me) and give that apartment different traits, I should be able to. It's not like I'm stuck with the cheap furnishings or the wall coverings or anything like that.

But other than that, I quite enjoy the pack as is. I like the challenge of making apartments work with their predetermined size. I like that if I want fully customized living in the city, I can get a penthouse. I like the festivals. I like that I could be in charge of everyone who lives on the lots in the city. The city theme isn't even my kind of thing and it still really works for me. :) But I really wish they'd keep all the lots unlocked for which traits you put on them.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.