Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living Constructive Criticism Thread.

Comments

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I may not give one of the best construtive criticism, but here I go:
    There isn't much anything that would interest me. I'm looking for new features in a ep, not just new objects and aesthetic stuff (clothes, city, ect.). While these packs have two new features (I' sure that there are more, but I can't recall them right now out of my head), there are some flaws with 'em.

Lot traits are awesome, but like every body - they don't bring much new to it. (Most of them) Just things that can already be enforce to the gameplay previous content/base game wise easily: emotions, skill boost. Honestly, they could have taken more inspiration from Karma powers that was a neat thingy featured for console games to make them somehow unique from pc version. Along with that issue in the way, that feature got patched into a base game with quarter of those traits added, making that feature not so intresting to the ep because it isn't an exclusive thing.

Festivals to me don't have the same vibe than how they were presented in the sims 3. That's is probably due to the difference of TS3:S having a lot more new its exclusive expansion pack content than the base game while CL is the other way around. In that iteration there were ton new activities to that specific series: eating contest, ice skating, snowboarding, dancing, scooter, face painting, throwing horse shoes, kissing booths, kiss machines, baloons fights, ect. - you name it. While The Sims 4 City Living is just 55-70% base game stuff, it isn't that exciting to use as for some players who already played the base game over time since begging, because they know what to expect. We (or I personally) want new things to try out what the ep efforts within these these new venue types as they happen to be called "festivals", not the things that most of it includes what we already tried out within base game. It's pretty much like going to a festival that doesn't change over the years, with it remaining the same old boring repeative routines and same old boring events.

What about the traits that are killing sims and/or making them miserable? There's a few of those. One guy on this forum reported having seven sims drop dead over the course of his time thus far. Seems that there's a lot more to traits than skill boosts.
    I'd say that those are "bugs" and sadly ea would just fix and not brng that back as a feature. Oh and I don't want all the traits magority to focus on bad stuff. I want an even number of both positive and negative traits that influence the sims/objects/area around it.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    Back on topic. I would love to have apartments in other worlds.

And the ability to build our own would be appreciated.
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    edited November 2016
    I am so glad I didn't buy this EP solely for the sell table like I might have done when the price was slashed. This screenshot basically confirmed my fears about how fruits and vegetables would be presented on the table:

tumblr_og009wfbCC1vorh5do3_1280.png
    Screenshot borrowed from another thread.

This looks very underwhelming. I would have liked to see produce presented in baskets, filling up the table in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Apparently you cannot rearrange them to look organized either. =/

• Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    edited November 2016
    Overall, I enjoy this EP a great deal, so I don't regret buying it. However, I think allowing ground-up apartment builds, editable common areas in already-built apartments, and not having locked traits would have made it even better. Having locked traits and traits that can't be used on other apartments limits storytelling. My city is gentrifying its old neighborhoods, and it would've been nice to tell that story. Also, what about a rich person who lives in a nice place but then descends into depression and their apartment or penthouse is neglected? Locked lot traits limit that type of storytelling.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I am so glad I didn't buy this EP solely for the sell table like I might have done when the price was slashed. This screenshot basically confirmed my fears about how fruits and vegetables would be presented on the table:

This looks very underwhelming. I would have liked to see produce presented in baskets, filling up the table in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Apparently you cannot rearrange them to look organized either. =/

I wonder if the move object cheat would work here? Maybe you can use it to place the fruit in little baskets. Will check that out.
  • Options
    Himynameis wrote: »
    I'm not going to buy it for one reason only. I fail to see what makes it an expansion pack. From all I've seen and heard about it it adds literally nothing 'expansive', it just adds a bunch of stuff.
    Like can someone seriously tell me what makes this an expansion pack?

I feel the same. It's a Stuff Pack (new/ objects and clothes) slash Game Pack (new lot type and new traits) with a new town "patch". Apartment system, new careers and vegeteriant trait - these three things don't make up for a Full Expansion Pack in my book. Especally when one of them (*cough* apartment system)is made not properly unlike how we expected it would be. Actually, now I think about it more in depth - no one of the expansion packs in The Sims 4 appear to be an 'actual' expansion packs.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options

lol, if only SimWardrobe was still here with us and provided the return and baskets in the sims 4.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    The reason I Didn't like City life was manly because of how the world was designed.
    it was too modern styled for me, and the design of the city just isn't somewhere I would want to live. Like Oasis Springs, Basically if I had bought it San Myshuno would be another Oasis Springs, aka a world I rarely touch.

I don't want a redo, but I feel like there will be more city worlds in future packs. and I feel like now that they've broken the barrier for apartments and penthouses, why wouldn't they do more worlds that have them?
    and it won't be all city, they could do a neighborhood that has a down town city district, and then the surrounding neighborhoods could be more rural neighborhoods.

another thing I'm on the fence about is lot traits, I don't want them investing to much on them.
    okay I understanding how they work and a few lot traits make sense
    like earthquakes, Private Dwelling, and Good Nearby Schools or what ever it's called.
    this way you get to decide if the house was build in an earth quake zone, you live in a private neighborhood, or you live near this imaginary school.

but some traits Don't really make sense to me, but Then I learned it's all optional, your lot doesn't have to have traits, So I guess it's okay.

The only thing I'm kind of sad about skipping is the Politician Career, I had a Mayor Already Created, and some of the clothing.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    nyny29nyny29 Posts: 124 Member
    I like that I could be in charge of everyone who lives on the lots in the city.

What do you mean by that ? I only played 30 minutes before bed yesterday so I didn't had time to explore it that much! Sounds interesting what you are saying, tell me more about it :hushed::smiley:

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

there are two sides to everything, make your own decision
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I haven't purchased CL, and have no plans to do so at the current price. The biggest reason that changed my mind (from yes to no) on CL is that I cannot build or even use apartment buildings in other worlds. I would have really liked the ability to do that, there are some large lots in the other worlds that would have been great as multi-family dwellings (like the two lots at the water's edge in Newcrest). I'm also frustrated with the "beautiful backdrop" that is just set dressing. It's not fun for me that my sims cannot go to those areas (same frustration I feel about the beautiful backdrop in the other worlds).

I might consider getting CL at some point down the road, only when it's deeply on sale. The festivals interest me, but not enough to pay $40 for. Perhaps that's another issue I have with CL. I don't feel like there's enough there for me to warrant the full price.
  • Options
    DJNSDJNS Posts: 74 Member
    edited November 2016
    Well, I would like to comment on the Romance guru. I had my first (and last) experience today and he/she most certainly gives out more than just moodlets. He/she is a sims relationship wrecking ball! So I send my sims, Jason and Zenobia, to the Romance festival. My thinking was they would have a few, flirty couple interactions as newlyweds, meet some new sims and then be on their way. Keep in mind, they are newlyweds. Full pink bars all the way. They get to the festival and I immediately have them renew their vows and partake of the flirty tea. It all feels pretty standard. So far I am rather meh about it all but still willing to explore and see what the festival offers. So I have Jason inquire of the guru about his current relationship and that is where stuff starts to go south.

So he asks her about his current relationship and she says something about his future being rocky and I'm like, "Lady, you cray. Full pink. Renewed vows. Kissy kiss . My sims are set." I have Jason go to seek out Zen because it all seemed so "fortune cookie" to me and I didn't think twice about it. But when Jason goes to find Zenobia he immediately gets an angry moodlet because Zen is flirting with the next sim. His beautiful, full pink bar takes an immediate and dramatic hit. Now this is a surprise to me because when I last left Zen she was talking to Jason's mom. But I am thinking it's no biggie. I'll just have Jason do all the romantic interactions and he and Zen will be right back to mutual full pink bar in no time. Several kisses and massages later, I got the pink back and Jason is more flirty than mad. So I have him go back to the guru as a, "Ha! How you like me now?" I'm expecting her to give some pat answer about their perfect love when he asks again about his relationship but instead she scoffs something to the effect of, "Destiny? I think not."

Now, I'm irritated at this point so I switch over to Zenobia again before she can get her flirt on, only now she's the one who is mad. Why? Because Jason is flirting with her mother. *cue facepalm* So now my beautiful, newlywed couple who were full pink, kissing and had recently renewed their vows are now angry with each other with romance bars that are less than half full and strained mother daughter relationships. None of this was directed by me and it was all predicted by that crotchety old guru. Moodlets were the least of it.

But yeah, my Zen got a moodlet alright. She got tense because people kept throwing flower petals at her. So she left home happy and flirty but came back angry and tense. Some romance festival...
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    nyny29 wrote: »
    TheGoodOldGamer - I like that I could be in charge of everyone who lives on the lots in the city.

What do you mean by that ? I only played 30 minutes before bed yesterday so I didn't had time to explore it that much! Sounds interesting what you are saying, tell me more about it :hushed::smiley:

I also want to know what this means. It sounds confusing.
  • Options
    LBDXLBDX Posts: 382 Member

Aw I think this is kind of misleading, @papersuitcase . Produce is normally sold at the produce stand in the.. spice market I think? This stand is just a stand at the flea market where people can sell random items from their inventory, and this person happened to sell fruit and veggies, heh. It always looks like a few items thrown out on a table as they are only out for a few hours while the event is going on, then the next flea market has different items.
    I think to make it look different on a flea market table, they would have had to overhaul how it looks everywhere (outside of your inventory, at least), which is something that may happen in a patch at some point, but not likely in an EP. Would be nice to get them in little baskets or something, but honestly I can see why it looks the way it does.
    The produce stand actually looks nice! I like the addition of it, as it makes it a bit easier to get started gardening with specific fruits and such :)
    CyXin77.gif
    American in Canada. Spoon rest enthusiast.
    Origin ID: texeganjane
    How to fix miscellaneous bugs in your Sims 4 game, here!
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    DJNS wrote: »
    Well, I would like to comment on the Romance guru. I had my first (and last) experience today and he/she most certainly gives out more than just moodlets. He/she is a sims relationship wrecking ball! So I send my sims, Jason and Zenobia, to the Romance festival. My thinking was they would have a few, flirty couple interactions as newlyweds, meet some new sims and then be on their way. Keep in mind, they are newlyweds. Full pink bars all the way. They get to the festival and I immediately have them renew their vows and partake of the flirty tea. It all feels pretty standard. So far I am rather meh about it all but still willing to explore and see what the festival offers. So I have Jason inquire of the guru about his current relationship and that is where stuff starts to go south.

So he asks her about his current relationship and she says something about his future being rocky and I'm like, "Lady, you cray. Full pink. Renewed vows. Kissy kiss . My sims are set." I have Jason go to seek out Zen because it all seemed so "fortune cookie" to me and I didn't think twice about it. But when Jason goes to find Zenobia he immediately gets an angry moodlet because Zen is flirting with the next sim. His beautiful, full pink bar takes an immediate and dramatic hit. Now this is a surprise to me because when I last left Zen she was talking to Jason's mom. But I am thinking it's no biggie. I'll just have Jason do all the romantic interactions and he and Zen will be right back to mutual full pink bar in no time. Several kisses and massages later, I got the pink back and Jason is more flirty than mad. So I have him go back to the guru as a, "Ha! How you like me now?" I'm expecting her to give some pat answer about their perfect love when he asks again about his relationship but instead she scoffs something to the effect of, "Destiny? I think not."

Now, I'm irritated at this point so I switch over to Zenobia again before she can get her flirt on, only now she's the one who is mad. Why? Because Jason is flirting with her mother. *cue facepalm* So now my beautiful, newlywed couple who were full pink, kissing and had recently renewed their vows are now angry with each other with romance bars that are less than half full and strained mother daughter relationships. None of this was directed by me and it was all predicted by that crotchety old guru. Moodlets were the least of it.

But yeah, my Zen got a moodlet alright. She got tense because people kept throwing flower petals at her. So she left home happy and flirty but came back angry and tense. Some romance festival...

Do you think this was brought on by the romance guru interaction OR do you think that sims that attend the festival are predisposed to flirt interactions with any random sim?

When I first read about this festival, I sort of thought of it as like speed dating for single sims.
  • Options
    DJNSDJNS Posts: 74 Member
    edited November 2016
    I guess I didn't expect it for my married sims. I was even careful just in case, which was why I left Zen talking to Jason's mom when he went to the guru. But nothing I did could stop it. What I don't get is how she predicted badness before badness went down. And since when do sims get jealous that easily? I have had sims walk in on in progress whoohoo who didn't get jealous that fast.

Good grief. Now I have to wait a full sim day before I can fix it or the relationship as a whole will take a hit too. Ugh.
  • Options
    SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    edited November 2016
    For those saying you cannot build apartments, that may be so but you can redo the apartments that are already there. For instance I do believe you can change the layout like knock out rooms, add rooms, repaint, change the carpet and all that stuff. So technically you can build or shall I say rebuild in that sense? For me I don't mind not building my own apartments I am having fun playing in the ones that are prebuilt.

Let me add that, hey I may not be happy with everything about the sims 4 like lack of toddlers, no true vehicles, no pets, no Seasons, etc etc but I try to never criticize anything unless I play it first. The only thing I said before the launch of CL was that I was not into city type stuff, and I was like this is too close to that Get Together EP, and that I may be bored in a week, but once I downloaded it - it was actually pretty fun. I've realized it's best to judge each EP kind of in itself and not judge it based on the base game if that makes sense?
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    SimChickee wrote: »
    For those saying you cannot build apartments, that may be so but you can redo the apartments that are already there. For instance I do believe you can change the layout like knock out rooms, add rooms, repaint, change the carpet and all that stuff. So technically you can build or shall I say rebuild in that sense? For me I don't mind not building my own apartments I am having fun playing in the ones that are prebuilt.

imagine 3 expansions down the row, they come out with more towns that all have their own special gimmicks. In order to use those towns gimmicks (similar to apartments), you need to live there. Meaning you just completely abandoned apartments for good. This wouldn't be a problem, if you could, you know, build or at least place them.
  • Options
    SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    @mirta000 You may not be able to build them from the ground up (yet), but again you can change the layout by adding or removing rooms. I guess I just don't see the big deal, I also don't really care about the small things like lack of elevators going up and down, to be honest I didn't even use elevators in the other sims games. I guess I just don't see why it's so bad that they go in and go down without us actually zooming in, watching them push a button, twiddle their thumbs, and wait for others to get into the elevator and then head up or down. Boring, I'm more for speed and smoothness, ain't nobody got time for that.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    @mirta000 You may not be able to build them from the ground up (yet), but again you can change the layout by adding or removing rooms. I guess I just don't see the big deal, I also don't really care about the small things like lack of elevators going up and down, to be honest I didn't even use elevators in the other sims games. I guess I just don't see why it's so bad that they go in and go down without us actually zooming in, watching them push a button, twiddle their thumbs, and wait for others to get into the elevator and then head up or down. Boring, I'm more for speed and smoothness, ain't nobody got time for that.

so it's not a big deal that the next expansion you'll potentially have to leave the apartments all together to even play with the new content?
  • Options
    tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    2 - I do not like having lot traits set. I know this was mentioned in the trailer and that some love this. However, this should be an option and not a requirement. It's my game, I should be allowed to decide how I want to play it without EA telling me what I should do. I'm not a child who needs to be shown the way, please don't treat me as such. Beyond that, if I wanted to be told exactly how to play my game then I'd be playing an app game like Free Play.

I could not agree more! I like lot traits, but I was disappointed that I could not change every single one. I understand creating challenges, but that just isnt how I like to play the game. I have not had enough time to play the game in depth, but I didnt find the waiting screens between apartments or travel to be unbearable (short wait, and in my opinion not too big of deal). The elevators not being animated was disappointing. I was a bit confused where my sim went after I clicked on the elevator. I was waiting to see them go on the elevator and they were already downstairs waiting. Now i know :)

I am also a little disappointed in the neighborhoods/districts. I thought they would be bigger? Its like little islands which is kind of meh, you cant really go very far.

Overall the game is fun, and with my CC furniture im enjoying decorating all the new apartments. I cant wait to start the new career options. I LOVE the items in CAS. They are fresh and fun and very beautiful. The female sims have several cute "pre-designed" outfits to choose from. Was a little thrown off that they didnt make any new outfits for the male sims. The female clothing is just GORGEOUS! Would have liked some more hairstyles for women.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I guess I just don't see why it's so bad that they go in and go down without us actually zooming in, watching them push a button, twiddle their thumbs, and wait for others to get into the elevator and then head up or down. Boring, I'm more for speed and smoothness, ain't nobody got time for that.
    Well there is the 2x and 3x speeding up button time thing, but of course, the drawback the time is sped up too. I just think at least ea could add the animation without the elevator having to synchronize, as in without needing to wait for it to come to the floor (e.g. elevator goes to first floor, but despite the sim on 2nd floor could use it right away). Taking stairs is also time consuming process, if the maximum number of sim using them is occupied. Again, EA again to blame for vague and lame excuses.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited November 2016
    Alright constructive criticism I bought the game and it's overall an OK EP I've never played Apartment Life and Night Life so I'm looking at it in a new perspective kind of way.
    Again it's limited no surprise at all, you still have loading screens just to visit a neighbor whose literally right across the hall from you which I already find that annoying, you only have one or two families as your neighbor which is OK I just wish we had floors top, middle, and bottom with other families you can visit.

The fashion district should have a way where you can buy clothes and be fashionable.

The Upper class district should've had a spa to relief stress instead of a gym I'm literally sick of seeing gyms I don't even go to them I'm asking for something new in general not just a spa but anything instead of a gym like come on there in every neighborhood except Newcrest have something new please.

There's really nothing outside of your apartment when you leave it just maybe a couple of food stands, a couple of street performers and that's it.

I haven't seen a politician speak yet or a protest going on. I haven't seen no graffiti or mural so I can't say much about it

The earthquake I wish for more reaction and interaction again asking Sims "did you feel that quake?" And "are you OK?" And talk about the quake to other Sims.

I like the console just wish there was a few more games to play. I like the basketball they brought it back yay and the bubble blowing with different flavors.

I like how the city us cultural just wish we had Street and skater clothes and buses and taxi's to take but I guess we will have to wait for transportation.

It's an OK EP just wish there was more I said this in another thread that I feel like I'm repeating myself when it comes to EPs "I just wish there was more." the Sims 4 have so much potential and talent and it's getting wasted and I'm very disappointed in that the devs are talented people I like how you all took the time to detail the background why can't we have in gameplay? You want the Sims to be social but they are technically not being social I wish for more interactions with other Sims especially about the earthquake. I can't say for the rats and bugs because I haven't really played with it yet but when I do I'll edit this post.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    Have you played CL?

No, and I listed the reasons why I didnt buy it.

@papersuitcase Wow I don't get it. I was looking for some post to see if I wanted to buy it. but you made a post on constructive criticism, how do you do constructive criticism on something you don't have. I don't have CL yet, and I can't make any criticism, that is why I was hoping for those that really have it to post. I really get a laugh out of those who criticize something they don't have. It reminds me of kids who don't like lima beans and yet have not even tasted one. Well all for criticism. Well to me, looks like your constructive criticism is a lot to be desired. You know about as much as I do. and that is nothing.

*raises hand* I similarly didn't buy the EP, but I can (and will) voice criticism about it.

I want to address one line specifically "You know about as much as I do. And that is nothing" I personally disagree. I know a lot about this pack, and that's the reason I didn't buy it.

What do I know? Well: You can't build apartments, they are preset structures only available in one world. Apartments are also just dressed up regular lots with no noticeable difference in gameplay from a regular lot. Festivals are similarly preset and only available in one world, and in addition to that they are primarily rehashed base game content. The one festival that stands out is the thrift one, which is an oddball and doesn't really fit but winds up looking better than all of the other festivals combined. The town itself is primarily decoration, and comes with a handful of useable lots (most are locked into their lot type). Two of the three careers seem to be computer based activities (as in you'll spend a lot of time just looking at that base game animation). The new major gameplay includes basketball, consoles, a bubble blower, and karaoke.

That's a pretty thorough list. Did I cover every little aspect? No, but there is enough there for me to safely say I will not spend $40 on this pack. So yes, once again I reiterate that I did not buy this pack, and have no plans on doing so anytime soon, by saying I know nothing about the pack after a whole month of marketing is downright insulting. We know everything there is to know right from their own offices. If you weren't paying attention that's on you, but I saw most of the videos and definitely came to the same conclusion I came to after reading through several reviews: Not worth $40. I have a hard time even thinking it's worth $20 (compared to actual GP's it's too broad and lacks depth) so this is going to be a pack I hold off on getting until I see it at a price that doesn't make me roll my eyes. Might just pass it up entirely, as none of the contents offer me any flexibility or additions to my existing games.

Hello, someone who actually played the game here to correct you!

It is true you can't build apartments, very sad.

However apartments DO have different gameplay. One night I had to sleep for work and my neighbors threw a loud party and I had to slam on their door. This was AFTER they had yelled at me for singing karaoke at 12 in the morning, so i think they were just doing it to make me mad. It's full. Of Sims stopping by or asking to go to operas or festivals etc. It feels different.

People keep saying festivals reuse the same content. Imo they're better than seasons because they're so populated. I went with my family and we lit off fireworks and ate spicy food and there were like 15 other Sims all as busy as can be without mods. There were like 5 other Sims wandering the city.

The careers aren't computer based, this is why playing the game is. Important. Politicians can go in the world and try to convince people to vote for them, social media can go out and blog like Sims 3, and critics can go to restaurants and critique food etc.

Lastly the only lots that are locked are apartments and Myshuno meadows.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png