Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living Constructive Criticism Thread.

Comments

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    A_Culler wrote: »
    I was very disappointed that you couldn't operate your own food cart. Sure you can own one but you can not move it from your property, put it in your inventory, or run it yourself. The same seems to apply to the "street stage" for the guitar and violin. I thought this expansion was supposed to have a variety of ways to make money. Seems like a pretty big missed opportunity, again disappointed.

And EA's response to that would be "Oh no! Giving the option for your sims to operate a food cart, aka. more diversity to the game, would be so gosh darn confusing for the players for no apparent reason. We are just give this as an vague excuse, lol k bye!"
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    My criticism is:

I would have liked the world to have more lots. It feels rather constricting. E.g. I want to change a penthouse lot to a rooftop restaurant.. but with so little available I don't want to use them up with restaurants and lounges and bars etc.

What would have been ideal is to have a part of the city having a strip of lots where you could put down whatever you want. Depending on what packs you own we could have put down restaurants, retail shops, photo-shoot shops and warehouse conversions (I know there is one available, more would have been ideal for me). All these things scream City to me. A strip of restaurants and retail lots would have given that city feel even more.

I feel the same.

I live right on the edge of a downtown. There is much more to it than just festivals and apartments. Don't get me wrong, that's a big part, but not all. The biggest money maker is the businesses. People go shopping downtown. They also go eat. They visit bars and lounges. And they briefly visit the green spaces and occasionally visit festivals (which are like few and far between...like once a year).

I definitely think they should have included storefronts and restaurants and many lots for players to build on. I would have appreciated having apartments and stores mixed with each other. At least then the whole "apartment shell" would have made more sense.

I think there was a lot more they could have done. Festivals are cool, but definitely not the only thing people do in cities. Besides, most people that live there don't go. It's usually tourists who attend those things.
  • Options
    FaintObject FaintObject Posts: 26 New Member
    112061 wrote: »
    There are no lots to build on? We can't build our own apartments? And the lot traits are already set and can't be changed? Is this correct?

These are almost all the same things i was upset about. I don't mind the lot traits, however no one wants to live in a "needs tlc" apartment so that narrows our starting choices down by atleast 3, leaving only 3 or 4 apartments that are even remotely reasonable to start out in, because all the other ones are either too expensive or already occupied.
  • Options
    aleeeexxxpaleeeexxxp Posts: 159 Member
    I bought the game at midnight and played right away. I have every pack, even though I do not love the game I've been here since sims 1 and I can't give up on it yet. I was excited for the theme of the pack, but the more I learned about the pack the more disappointed I got. This disappointment happens every time I learn more about an expansion pack.
    When I first heard that we couldn't build aparmtents I was shocked, but I could get past it as I'm not a builder (even though it's so unfair to builders). Then I heard we couldn't even place their shells they forced on us anywhere else. That was a huge disappointment for me. I also couldn't believe when we were told that the elavators do absolutely nothing. I honestly didn't think it would bother me, but I absolutely hate seeing my sim teleport to the front of her building and teleporting in front of the elevator. I don't understand what they were thinking there.
    The festivals are honestly such a let down. Did we get any new gameplay in these festivals? The flea market is the only one that I like. The rest of them are useless.
    I do like that we can work from home in the new jobs and I really enjoy them.
    They could have done such a better job. I'm just used to being let down now.
  • Options
    uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    You can't see inside the elevator or the elevator shaft?
  • Options
    catalina_45catalina_45 Posts: 359 Member
    I’m still afraid to update the game with patch 1.24 not to say about buying the new EP.
    I have read many of the postings about the errors of the new patch and new EP. I have updated all the mods for the new patch and I will wait until I'll see improvements.

I guess I have to update the game only after EA will fix existing errors through a new patch.
    Maybe I have to buy the new EP after EA will remedy at least partially existing errors.

I want new EP but in current conditions with many bugs and issues I really do not know if it is worth

Words are soul's image
  • Options
    tasmabeltasmabel Posts: 207 Member
    aleeeexxxp wrote: »
    I bought the game at midnight and played right away. I have every pack, even though I do not love the game I've been here since sims 1 and I can't give up on it yet. I was excited for the theme of the pack, but the more I learned about the pack the more disappointed I got. This disappointment happens every time I learn more about an expansion pack.
    When I first heard that we couldn't build aparmtents I was shocked, but I could get past it as I'm not a builder (even though it's so unfair to builders). Then I heard we couldn't even place their shells they forced on us anywhere else. That was a huge disappointment for me. I also couldn't believe when we were told that the elavators do absolutely nothing. I honestly didn't think it would bother me, but I absolutely hate seeing my sim teleport to the front of her building and teleporting in front of the elevator. I don't understand what they were thinking there.
    The festivals are honestly such a let down. Did we get any new gameplay in these festivals? The flea market is the only one that I like. The rest of them are useless.
    I do like that we can work from home in the new jobs and I really enjoy them.
    They could have done such a better job. I'm just used to being let down now.

Pretty much why I have been buying the packs. I have been here since sims 1 and I love the game. I don't think I'll ever feel the hype and sheer amazement like I did when watching trailers for ts2, but it would be nice to pay $40 and not get a completely bare EP. My husband was shocked and appalled that the EP cost so much when offering so very little. The festivals are very cute to look at, but they just reuse old items and gameplay. They could have incorporated several new items. A kissing booth, maybe even mints to buy at the swag stand. I would even be happy with little rabbit holes! Like a tunnel of love ride or something. But there are only a few items we get that offer any new interactions. I feel like I bought a stuff pack!

Another thing, why are there so few festivals? Either give me a ton of festivals or fill the few festivals with significant gameplay and items. It honestly feels like they didn't even try. For a year's worth of a wait, this is just disgraceful.
  • Options
    aleeeexxxpaleeeexxxp Posts: 159 Member
    edited November 2016
    To be honest I wish they would stop making expansion packs and just keep giving us good game packs. They are only good at specific themes. I think if we got an apartment game pack we would have been blown away.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    My opinion on City Living:

Apart from the theme not grabbing my interest, I'm not sure if cl would have satisfied me regardless. I'm sensing a lack of replayability with this pack since we weren't given any way to customize much gameplay wise. We got retail in gtw and clubs in GT and with this pack we aren't really getting anything game changing. I hate to use buzz words but set-dressing really does describe this EP well. It offers a lot to look at, but not much to do that we couldn't already do before.

I would have liked each festival to be more involved and unique in their game play. Instead of offering a new place to do the old things that our sims could always do, we should have had new experiences unique to each festival.

Let's take the spice festival for example. Instead of merely eating spicy food, we should have been able to participate in making the spiciest or best tasting dish. I would have loved to see cooking stations set up for our sims to interact with and actively adding spices and ingredients, concocting our own Frankenstein curry dish. Sims could scan the crowd or ask around to see what people are craving and take that into consideration when adding items to their dish. The 'best' dish could depend on how the visiting sims are feeling that day, and it would be random and ever changing much like our taste buds in real life influence what we're in the mood to eat. As of right now, the spice festival only offers eating, which has some cute and funny interactions but not much replayability once you've seen the animations once or twice.

As of right now, (with the exception of the marketplace) the festival themes feel like they were specifically chosen to take advantage of using old animations. They use and reuse base game items, interactions and animations which is why I fear they will become stale rather quickly. I wish that the devs would have instead given us 2 really fleshed out events, with all new items, interactions and animations, and then implemented a system for us to customize our own festivals.

Over all I found that CL wasn't worth it's price tag because of everything I just said. I hope devs if you are reading this you do not take offense. The city and festivals you create are beautiful, but I want to do more than look and take pictures. Please consider giving us more tools in the future so we can create the world we want to.

haven't bought it yet (probably will later) but just looking around to see the general impression of the game, so your post is very helpful to me.
    Your idea for the spice festival is awesome to me because its doable. Sims could make dishes with spicy ingredients (perhaps have a contest, my contribution).
    It brought to my mind maybe the players imaginations are a little more active than some of the Devs when it comes to the game.
    Of course that's just a guess.
    Will keep in mind your evaluation of the game going forward, so thanks for posting this.
  • Options
    DJNS wrote: »
    Well, I would like to comment on the Romance guru. I had my first (and last) experience today and he/she most certainly gives out more than just moodlets. He/she is a sims relationship wrecking ball! So I send my sims, Jason and Zenobia, to the Romance festival. My thinking was they would have a few, flirty couple interactions as newlyweds, meet some new sims and then be on their way. Keep in mind, they are newlyweds. Full pink bars all the way. They get to the festival and I immediately have them renew their vows and partake of the flirty tea. It all feels pretty standard. So far I am rather meh about it all but still willing to explore and see what the festival offers. So I have Jason inquire of the guru about his current relationship and that is where stuff starts to go south.

So he asks her about his current relationship and she says something about his future being rocky and I'm like, "Lady, you cray. Full pink. Renewed vows. Kissy kiss . My sims are set." I have Jason go to seek out Zen because it all seemed so "fortune cookie" to me and I didn't think twice about it. But when Jason goes to find Zenobia he immediately gets an angry moodlet because Zen is flirting with the next sim. His beautiful, full pink bar takes an immediate and dramatic hit. Now this is a surprise to me because when I last left Zen she was talking to Jason's mom. But I am thinking it's no biggie. I'll just have Jason do all the romantic interactions and he and Zen will be right back to mutual full pink bar in no time. Several kisses and massages later, I got the pink back and Jason is more flirty than mad. So I have him go back to the guru as a, "Ha! How you like me now?" I'm expecting her to give some pat answer about their perfect love when he asks again about his relationship but instead she scoffs something to the effect of, "Destiny? I think not."

Now, I'm irritated at this point so I switch over to Zenobia again before she can get her flirt on, only now she's the one who is mad. Why? Because Jason is flirting with her mother. *cue facepalm* So now my beautiful, newlywed couple who were full pink, kissing and had recently renewed their vows are now angry with each other with romance bars that are less than half full and strained mother daughter relationships. None of this was directed by me and it was all predicted by that crotchety old guru. Moodlets were the least of it.

But yeah, my Zen got a moodlet alright. She got tense because people kept throwing flower petals at her. So she left home happy and flirty but came back angry and tense. Some romance festival...

LOL this post is hilarious, sorry about your relationship though. Keeping in mind...
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Overall, I'm enjoying the game & not disappointed I bought it. However, I will say that the elevators is one of the things that bothers me the most. It's another shortcut...ya know how the Sim just disappears off the lot and doesn't have a carpool. The elevator is there for 'decoration', unusable. Just makes zero sense to me. & I guess the other thing that I don't like is to see this beautiful backdrop of the city with cars, subways, etc. & it's 2016 & our Sims have no transportation. These things aren't what I call 'deal breakers' but it does make me wonder why cars were left out, why even include elevators if they're unusable, etc.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2016
    My main reasons not counting base game reasons of not getting the EP.

1) No cars.
    2) No transportation for Sims.
    3) No life states.
    4) Shallow game play.
    5) Visual oddities.
    6) Poof elevators.
    7) Unable to build apartment buildings.

I love they attempted to go the diverse route, but didn't like how they tried to squish an Into the Future/cultural style together. MTS actually mentioned how it is offensive to some cultures how it was designed. I like how they are trying to be more daring with some of the clothes. Like with the other packs, children still get the short end of the stick. Please @SimGuruKimmi bring in more sheer textures. It looks stunning and curious how it would look on objects. I think there was shelving in a bookshelf that wasn't transparent enough that modders pointed out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Overall, I'm enjoying the game & not disappointed I bought it. However, I will say that the elevators is one of the things that bothers me the most. It's another shortcut...ya know how the Sim just disappears off the lot and doesn't have a carpool. The elevator is there for 'decoration', unusable. Just makes zero sense to me. & I guess the other thing that I don't like is to see this beautiful backdrop of the city with cars, subways, etc. & it's 2016 & our Sims have no transportation. These things aren't what I call 'deal breakers' but it does make me wonder why cars were left out, why even include elevators if they're unusable, etc.

Since you said transportation; was thinking same while reading these posts. Why don't they allow Sims to skateboard I wonder ?
    Also from what I've heard about this EP so far, not being able to place apartments in other worlds is kind of disappointing to me.
    I read (on this thread) about Sims being able to get better at using chopsticks, that's kind of cool, but over all why can't our Sims ride bikes, or walk to other places ? (read in another post on this thread they can't even walk somewhere without loading screens)
    After all the creative freedom we had with Sims 3, now we can't even place lots in other worlds, and read there were no empty lots in CL.
    And also being able to communicate to other Sims when Sims have had an earthquake is something that should be, especially when it makes
    Sims tense. Its kind of like in other Sims games when they got robbed, they were able to talk about it or as in Sims 2 read anger management
    Truly sad.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Another small-ish complaint of mine that I expected would happen: a drop in difficulty.

If you look at this link, you'll find the rent prices for apartments. The thing is that you all may notice rent is typically cheaper than any bills you typically experience. One of the few aspects about Sims 4 I like is that while it's still too easy, it's much harder than past Sims games in terms of making money and how high bills are. Typically for me, by the time a Sim has their mansion, they're paying 15k to 20k in bills weekly, but here the most expensive apartments are 5k and do not scale to your net worth whatsoever. That combined with lot traits that build skills faster or even give money themselves just mean things got easier, not harder. I find that a real shame.

I know it'll never happen because for whatever reason game developers seem in unanimous agreement games need to be easier, but I'd personally love it if they doubled the price of bills from the base game (not talking City Living) and made it much harder to move past level 5 of a career. When I say "much harder" I don't mean make it take longer as that's more tedious, but do something to up the requirements for a promotion and make it rather difficult.

I've found its not that hard to make money in Sims 4. Yes you pay a lot more in rent, but just get into gardening & sell perfect blackberries or blueberries, or grapes, one of them. You can get arund $1000 or more for those. Might be a glitch but it is what it is.
    As well as the other fruits and vegetables, you get a lot of money for them. I have some pics but can't post them right now due to service
    I use being down.
  • Options
    My criticism is:

I would have liked the world to have more lots. It feels rather constricting. E.g. I want to change a penthouse lot to a rooftop restaurant.. but with so little available I don't want to use them up with restaurants and lounges and bars etc.

What would have been ideal is to have a part of the city having a strip of lots where you could put down whatever you want. Depending on what packs you own we could have put down restaurants, retail shops, photo-shoot shops and warehouse conversions (I know there is one available, more would have been ideal for me). All these things scream City to me. A strip of restaurants and retail lots would have given that city feel even more.

do they have these things in it ? bars, stores/retail shops, restaurants ?
    No space is a city without these
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    aleeeexxxp wrote: »
    To be honest I wish they would stop making expansion packs and just keep giving us good game packs. They are only good at specific themes. I think if we got an apartment game pack we would have been blown away.

I basically agree because I wasn't too fond of the EPs we got so far but the GPs have given me a lot more enjoyment. I like how specific and fleshed out their themes are. :)
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    edited November 2016
    faytheful wrote: »
    My criticism is:

do they have these things in it ? bars, stores/retail shops, restaurants ?
    No space is a city without these

They have a pre-made rooftop Lounge. There are also two karaoke bars. Apart from that there aren't many places to put down restaurants and retail shops.

It could be argued that we can easily change all the penthouse lots to retail/restaurants, but then you compromise the residential lots.

EDIT: And changing the karaoke bars to something else I feel would compromise the gameplay.
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited November 2016
    - Lot traits need to be beefed up. Disappointed with the Haunted and Earthquake lot traits.

It would of been good to perhaps have some spooky sound effects like whispering voices and perhaps lights change colour or flicker during a haunting. As for Earthquakes, blink and you miss them. Quakes need more consequences like breakages, dust from ceiling, even wall cracks which the landlord could repair.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Alright constructive criticism I bought the game and it's overall an OK EP I've never played Apartment Life and Night Life so I'm looking at it in a new perspective kind of way.
    Again it's limited no surprise at all, you still have loading screens just to visit a neighbor whose literally right across the hall from you which I already find that annoying, you only have one or two families as your neighbor which is OK I just wish we had floors top, middle, and bottom with other families you can visit.

The fashion district should have a way where you can buy clothes and be fashionable.

The Upper class district should've had a spa to relief stress instead of a gym I'm literally sick of seeing gyms I don't even go to them I'm asking for something new in general not just a spa but anything instead of a gym like come on there in every neighborhood except Newcrest have something new please.

There's really nothing outside of your apartment when you leave it just maybe a couple of food stands, a couple of street performers and that's it.

I haven't seen a politician speak yet or a protest going on. I haven't seen no graffiti or mural so I can't say much about it

The earthquake I wish for more reaction and interaction again asking Sims "did you feel that quake?" And "are you OK?" And talk about the quake to other Sims.

I like the console just wish there was a few more games to play. I like the basketball they brought it back yay and the bubble blowing with different flavors.

I like how the city us cultural just wish we had Street and skater clothes and buses and taxi's to take but I guess we will have to wait for transportation.

It's an OK EP just wish there was more I said this in another thread that I feel like I'm repeating myself when it comes to EPs "I just wish there was more." the Sims 4 have so much potential and talent and it's getting wasted and I'm very disappointed in that the devs are talented people I like how you all took the time to detail the background why can't we have in gameplay? You want the Sims to be social but they are technically not being social I wish for more interactions with other Sims especially about the earthquake. I can't say for the rats and bugs because I haven't really played with it yet but when I do I'll edit this post.
    The Rats and Roaches omg I can't complain it's funny seeing and hearing them lol the TLC apartment is fun but not fun with the electric box I get scared when it sparks lol the pipes really didn't break maybe just once called the landlord and became friends now I have jealous neighbors lol.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    uzumo wrote: »
    You can't see inside the elevator or the elevator shaft?

Pretty much as I'm aware of, since doors do not open. Don't have the game, but If I did - I would check it out by zooming into the elevator until it becomes , but highly unlike for the shaft to be there due to the first thing I said. Using the elevator just makes the sim teleport before vanishing and appear outside the apartment (heard that they do not even appear at the first floor hooby or there isn't such a thing as ground lobby).
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    MikeytMikeyt Posts: 42 Member
    I think the pack is ok-ish. I would give it a 5/10. I don't feel like it's added much aside from a new world and some careers. There should have been way, way more community lots. They could have added some community spaces at the bottom of the apartment buildings, especially since there is a loading screen between apartments. I hate having to travel back to Willow Creek or wherever in order to go out for dinner.

I am very annoyed how the grungey looking items are all base game content re-colours. It's just cheap and lazy.

The new CAS items are, in my opinion, too child like and bright although there are a few nice pieces. I wish they'd add some toned down colours with the clothes. The build and buy items are nice.

Apartments should have been editable and elevators should have had an animation. I don't feel like the whole expansion pack was worth a years wait.

It doesn't really feel like an expansion pack. It feels more like a World Pack, similar to what we used to get on The Sims 3 Store, only with slightly more content.

• Options
    MogopMogop Posts: 39 Member
    I like how things feel very efficient with this pack. Sims are quick to get out the door, the change of vendors at the food carts happens so fast that you don't have to wait around much and the shorter distances mean that Sims just arrive more quickly whether it's at your door or a service station. And I love how there's nearly always a food cart and amenities close by, it really feels like you can be doing things at any time. That's a big part of city living to me.

I also feel like San Myshuno has made a proper suburb out of the other worlds, there is a real contrast there and for my Sims who are supposed to be living in more secluded areas it suddenly feels a lot more quiet.

It would have been nice if there was a club rule to use the Bubble Blower. Not just because it's hilarious, but because like the Karaoke Machine it's one of those objects that is all over San Myshuno.

Being able to give your key to a Sim is a nice way of bringing some of the Apartment hustle and bustle to regular lots, I think. It adds that element of randomness.

So far I'm having a lot of fun with this pack, and see a lot of potential for continued evolvement of my San Myshuno with clubs and different venues and things. I love the premades and the diversity (even if my game has spawned four different Naokis, lol!). But I wish it went both ways, that I could take more of the City Living content and use it in the other worlds. Being able to build Apartments or at least place them, and use the locked lot traits on lots there. I think the Clubs feature is a great example of something that is easy to incorporate into new packs, it just doesn't get old! I hope to see more of that in the coming expansions as well.

Finally I hope to see more content for older Sims. I don't mind all my Sims being hip on social media, or older Sims being out on the town. And I can make clubs where parents bring their children to do stuff, and elders get together and sing karake or something. But I think that without the club system, San Myshuno would feel like a place where older Sims are dinosaurs and out of place. I want them to rule the block just as much as the younger ones. :)

In case it's relevant (I don't really know what it's like to play without anymore), I have MC Command Center. All forms of culling are death to my game (34 played households).
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    knazzer wrote: »
    - Lot traits need to be beefed up. Disappointed with the Haunted and Earthquake lot traits.

It would of been good to perhaps have some spooky sound effects like whispering voices and perhaps lights change colour or flicker during a haunting. As for Earthquakes, blink and you miss them. Quakes need more consequences like breakages, dust from ceiling, even wall cracks which the landlord could repair.

YES! my thought exactly! I was really hoping for something falling on the floor, a statue breaking...something! but they just get "tense" for an hour or two and it doesn't bother them AT ALL.

-Yarden.
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    I have had couple of gaming sessions with this new EP and I´m enjoying the cultural diversity and new careers it has to offer. But...I think that this EP missed a change of adding something really new and exiting like Super Heroes. Think about it...just instead of adding a new creature they could have created new type of sims as Super Heroes with super powers to save the city and make that one of the new careers/skills etc. This EP just does not have anything new that we have not seen before.

But...I think it is better than TS3 Late Night because there is no annoying paparazzi and celebrity system. I do not miss vampires...I think that supernaturals is better all be in one expansion where we get all fairies, witches etc. So then people (like me) who like supernatural creatures can get this magical place and sims in one EP. They should make more something really NEW in other EP´s...There is so many they can do...for example EP with historical era/town without cars etc. make it really possible for simmers to have that variety in their game and depth instead of just repeating old EP´s.
  • Options
    BlazingEdenBlazingEden Posts: 13 New Member
    I must be crazy, because I really don't have a list of gripes with this exp, aside from a few small bugs. I'm obsessed with the new clothes and décor. I honestly laughed my head off when I saw the used objects...because, WHY NOT. It's excellent for your penny-pinching Sims! LOL. (however, they could have made the used items give off some bad emotion or something...)

And just so you guys know, tons of games get pushed into removing content for an earlier release. Ex: Destiny had to cut somewhere over 50% of their story mode to accommodate the game company's release date. I fully believe that happened with TS4. They also wouldn't be able to release these packs so fast if they didn't cut corners somewhere. It's all about the money, right?

My advice is to not expect much from TS4. They aren't top of the line and never have been. Take it for what it is and always has been.