Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Alright, since everyone responded... we can start discussing. Who would like to go first (the story) and then we need someone willing to host the discussion? I can host if no one else wants to this first week. I just need to know which story we're going to focus on.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 you did a good job starting the discussion on Freedom! I don't mind you starting this one as well. I didn't have a lot planned for the discussion as I ended up sleeping all day Tuesday lol! Maybe if I see another example of how we host or begin a story discussion I'll start one soon :)
  • Options
    Simcraft81 wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 you did a good job starting the discussion on Freedom! I don't mind you starting this one as well. I didn't have a lot planned for the discussion as I ended up sleeping all day Tuesday lol! Maybe if I see another example of how we host or begin a story discussion I'll start one soon :)

Alright, since I know my own story, I'll just write a discussion question about the opening of KFLL.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Quick Note: Since it's the middle, end of the week, we can start our discussion and take it through next week Friday so we all have time to read or re-read if necessary and participate. @Simcraft81 if you would like to take the next discussion starting the following Friday the 19th, that'd be great!

Discussion Question 2

Hello everyone, feel free to answer one, two, all, or none of the following questions or ask questions or pitch ideas of your own.

1) In 2.0 Resolutions, Prologue for Kassiopeia Fullbright and the Lost Legacy (KFLL), I utilize a new years' resolutions as a way to recap what the readers have missed between Story #1 The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright (KCLKF) and Story #2 KFLL. What are your thoughts about this? Do you think it was effective? What other ways do you recap or fill in gaps in your own stories?

2) For those of you who have read farther in KFLL, how do you think Kass is doing with actually meeting/completing her resolutions? Which ones do you think she needs help on? (Granted some of this is the author's fault... aka... moi.... so this is me asking for advice and thoughts about wrapping around and following through with my character's resolutions...)

3) How do you think the prologue helps set the tone for the story or do you think it offsets the story like it gives a different feel than the rest of the story? (I have my own ideas about this but I'll keep them to myself.)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sounds good, Lizzie! I'll be ready on the 19th.
  • Options
    For question (1) I think it's interesting to read about what happens to characters in between chapters or sequels if referring to movies. I've always liked the idea of spinoffs. Its like the story still goes on even aftet you put the book down or after you've left the theater awaiting the next sequel. If a prologue is long enough it can serve as a spinoff story. If you choose to make a short one it can be left up to the reader's imagination.
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited August 2016
    i have a little time this morning but we're invited somewhere this afternoon (I hate getting social invitations in the middle of a busy/stressful time because I'm too tired to enjoy them properly). My ability to host will be limited until I get through all of this never-ending medical issues I'm dealing with for my family so I'm not sure what week would work best for me.

1) In 2.0 Resolutions, Prologue for Kassiopeia Fullbright and the Lost Legacy (KFLL), I utilize a new years' resolutions as a way to recap what the readers have missed between Story #1 The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright (KCLKF) and Story #2 KFLL. What are your thoughts about this? Do you think it was effective? What other ways do you recap or fill in gaps in your own stories?

I liked this approach as recaps go. They kind of annoy me to write and so I do very few of them. When I do them I usually just do one as brief as possible. I might try this approach in the future, not new years, but maybe a prologue interlude from a character.

I'm skipping 2 for now. I'll answer it once I reach halfway in the story.

3) How do you think the prologue helps set the tone for the story or do you think it offsets the story like it gives a different feel than the rest of the story? (I have my own ideas about this but I'll keep them to myself.)

I'd compare this to a journal entry in the middle of a third person pov story. It has a different feel but provides a refreshing change. I do something similar with Quest for Immortality (Liam's journal entries peppered throughout and the interludes being from Seth's pov at the beginning of Part 2 while the main story is narrated by Kaliah) and the Last 100 Years (the flashback portions of past generations are told in journal entries) so I personally like seeing this type of thing. I think its a good thing to add a bit of variety in a long story and liked seeing something through Kass's eyes. As for tone I don't think is changes the tone of the story but I personally found her narration a little more humorous in feel compared to the rest of the story.

Good news, I was able to get Sims 3 working again so I'll be able to start working on this story this coming week. I'll be finishing half-finished updates for another Last 100 Years chapter and Quest for Immortality chapter first. My schedule is really busy so I'm not sure when the next chapter will drop but it will be this month!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    i have a little time this morning but we're invited somewhere this afternoon (I hate getting social invitations in the middle of a busy/stressful time because I'm too tired to enjoy them properly). My ability to host will be limited until I get through all of this never-ending medical issues I'm dealing with for my family so I'm not sure what week would work best for me.

Good news, I was able to get Sims 3 working again so I'll be able to start working on this story this coming week. I'll be finishing half-finished updates for another Last 100 Years chapter and Quest for Immortality chapter first. My schedule is really busy so I'm not sure when the next chapter will drop but it will be this month!

@JLBDreamer I totally understand family issues. Seriously, I've had a lot going on in my own family in the past year and it's been a struggle to keep up with everything and balance out my life. I appreciate your presence here on the forums and in the Sims world, but please take your time. I'm sure everyone here understands. :)

About social invitations... I so know what you mean there too. I'm introverted so last minute sudden changes that aren't instituted by myself or initiated by myself can be a struggle at times, especially in busy, stressful seasons. I feel like I want to go out of obligation, but at the same time, I can't help think about all the things I need to get done and all the things I'd like to do alone to recharge from my "peopling." I like spending time with people, but as an introvert, I most definitely crave my alone time, writing time, and reading time. I need a good bit of heads up for social engagements unless I'm being particularly brave or enthusiastic one day. You're not alone there.

I am enjoying your stories so I look forward to reading more. I should pop over and read your Quest for Immortality challenge too when I've got a spare moment.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I like what you said @Simcraft81 about prologues providing information for spinoffs. I packed a good bit into Kass's prologue 2.0 so I still have plenty to work with, and the possibility of doing some spinoff stuff.

I am planning to tackle a bit of her year on the road at some point, but I could also do a Sim short about her new family adjusting, her Mamma and Clark, what her dad Howard is still up to, or even things about Davis and Gage.

I'm already writing about Gage's life post KCKLF but before KFLL in my spinoff series - From Riverview, With Love.

I like what you said though about how life goes on for the characters. I like to think my characters are living their lives between my words and off on adventures when I'm not around. ;)

@JLBDreamer I always try to be creative with my intros and this is something that requires a good bit more attention and imagination than some of my other posts. I feel like it's more personal to introduce a character or new section through a journal-entry type post than just a straight up chapter. I know some people prefer jumping straight into the action, but I'm big on character development so I like to try and give my readers a reason to like my protagonist and root for him/her.

I think Kass's humor and lightheartedness came through in her journal entry-like intros than they do in the rest of the story so I agree with you there. I think she needs a refreshing reprieve every once in awhile.

Speaking of Kass, I'm hoping to have another story segment up soon. I've been busy working on the Colt Family Traitacy, my new backstory for Darkness May Dream (so I can update The Secret Identity of Jessica Rossum), and Gage's story in From Riverview, With Love. And life is busy. You'll hear from Kass again this month.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @everyone

Hi SimLit writers/readers,
    I wanted to get an idea of an order to go in for our story discussions. Below I've attached an example of what I'm thinking so let me know your thoughts.

Current Week 1: @Adamseve1231 Kassiopeia Fullbright and the Lost Legacy (Prologue discussion)
    August 19thWeek 2: @Simcraft81 Sim Stories (one of the chapters discussion)
    August 26thWeek 3: @xJojox Fine Lines (Chapter 1)
    September 2ndWeek 4: @CreamierThanMami Journey of a Thousand Steps (Prologue, any or all parts - that's totally up to you)
    September 9thWeek 5: @JLBDreamer Wild Hearts Vampiracy (Prolog & Chapter 1)
    September 16th Week 6: @Julyvee94 Until It Breaks ( Ch 1-2).

I did want to ask if there is anyone on here who doesn't feel comfortable leading/hosting a discussion or can't due to busyness or other reasons. If you would let me know so we don't skip over a story, I'd appreciate it. You can also PM me if desired. I'm happy to fill in the gaps, though if someone else wants to volunteer too, that's totally fine.

Once we're finished, we can revisit each person's story and cycle through, and of course, it may make sense to bundle chapters better, but I don't want anyone to feel overwhelmed or like they have to cover more than one chapter.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    Maybe the weeks may need an editing :) it only gives us 3 days to talk about your story @adamseve1231

but sounds good to me!
  • Options
    This schedule works for me.
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 it looks fine for me
  • Options
    xJojox wrote: »
    Maybe the weeks may need an editing :) it only gives us 3 days to talk about your story @adamseve1231

but sounds good to me!

@xJojox I posted questions for my story here.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    OMG i totally missed them! sorry. I will answer them soon.

wont be able to answer question 2 :) because i don't get heaps of time to read everyday. but i've read nearly all of the first part :)
    man i need to catch up!
  • Options
    CreamierThanMamiCreamierThanMami Posts: 684 Member
    edited August 2016
    I think the schedule sounds fine...I think reading my ENTIRE story might prove to be a bit much, so the prologue seems like a good idea.
    Fotor0510194637_zps0hyuxnv8.jpg
    If you like my story, contributions to my wishlist are appreciated!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I think the schedule sounds fine...I think reading my ENTIRE story might prove to be a bit much, so the prologue seems like a good idea.

The idea is to break down each chapter (or a section of chapters) one at a time. I tried to lump together 1 or 2 chapters for writers who write shorter segments, and limit it to 1 chapter for writers who write longer. We can cycle through once or twice and if it seems like it's taking too long, we can up the amount of chapters we discuss at one time. It's going to take us nearly 6 weeks just to get through the first section, so if we want to do shorter discussion periods we can too. I just didn't want anyone to feel overwhelmed.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 @Julyvee94 @xJojox @JLBDreamer @CreamierThanMami

We're still on week 1 Discussion but just a heads up for week 2: We'll be discussing 'Sunset Valley's Most Wanted' Chapters 1 & 2. Starting this Friday the 19th.
    Post edited by Simcraft81 on
  • Options

We're still on week 1 Discussion but just a heads up for week 2: We'll be discussing 'Sunset Valley's Most Wanted' Chapters 1 & 2. Starting this Friday the 19th.

@Simcraft81 Awesome! Looking forward to it!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Welcome to Week 2

Less Vs. More

Have you heard the saying, 'Less is more'? I had an art instructor who would refer to this saying when he felt that there was too much going on in the image. He felt that the message can still get across with only key elements (Minimalism). I had another instructor who felt that you should do the opposite and be elaborate with your work which would refer to the saying, 'More is more' (Maximalism). I believe these styles are present with writing as well and I'm going to use one of my stories as an example for this discussion.

In 'Sunset Valley's Most Wanted' There are members of the group with somewhat detailed backgrounds as well as members and side characters whose roles in the story are subtle (thus far). What are your thoughts on the introduction to this organization based on its members and what you know about them from their backgrounds? What are your thoughts on the future of this group? What do you see happening to this group, based on side characters and families of group members that haven't had much time in the spotlight? How could they affect the group members' judgement when these side characters contribute love, hate, loyalty etc.?

'Free TRADING CARD in EVERY BOX! Collect them all! Just kidding lol :smiley:
    TaeGra%2BFormal%2BDisplay%2BSCS.jpg

Post edited by Simcraft81 on
  • Options
    @Simcraft81, @xJojox, @JLBDreamer, @Julyvee94, and @CreamierThanMami
    I saw someone else write this announcement this way and it was sweet so I'm copying her idea.

I have a surprise for you all here.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Welcome to Week 2

Less Vs. More

Have you heard the saying, 'Less is more'? I had an art instructor who would refer to this saying when he felt that there was too much going on in the image. He felt that the message can still get across with only key elements (Minimalism). I had another instructor who felt that you should do the opposite and be elaborate with your work which would refer to the saying, 'More is more' (Maximalism). I believe these styles are present with writing as well and I'm going to use one of my stories as an example for this discussion.

In 'Sunset Valley's Most Wanted' There are members of the group with somewhat detailed backgrounds as well as members and side characters whose roles in the story are subtle (thus far). What are your thoughts on the introduction to this organization based on its members and what you know about them from their backgrounds? What are your thoughts on the future of this group? What do you see happening to this group, based on side characters and families of group members that haven't had much time in the spotlight? How could they affect the group members' judgement when these side characters contribute love, hate, loyalty etc.?

'Free TRADING CARD in EVERY BOX! Collect them all! Just kidding lol :smiley:
    TaeGra%2BFormal%2BDisplay%2BSCS.jpg

@Simcraft81 I'm glad you're leading the discussion this week and you're starting with these chapters. I particularly like this story of yours. I felt like I connected well with Alvi, even if he was a criminal. I think you did a good job of evoking sympathy. I feel like he just wants to do right by his kids. I was so sad when his youngest child was taken away. Miraj seems like a sweet kid. I understand why the social worker took him away, but I still felt Alvi's pain. I want to know what happens to Miraj and if he's ever reconnected with his father and older brother. I also am curious to see how Alvi will thrive in the organization.

I enjoyed seeing Ayesha pop up in there. I, too, have Ayesha in my story, although her character and persona in my story is different from yours and the base game. I'd be curious to see what happens with Alvi and Ayesha's friendship as I feel they get along well as business partners in crime, not in a romantic way, though. I don't think that kind of relationship would work with those two, but you never know.

I also enjoyed reading about Claire Ursine. I've always been curious about her, though I haven't written her into any of my own stories yet. Claire doesn't seem to be the greatest mom to Elisa and I'm wondering if that's just a Sims thing (because it's really weird that the Sims just set their babies on the floor) or if that's a personality thing. It can't be easy being a single parent and a criminal (i.e. Alvi and Claire). I would like to see what happens to Claire as a parent, and Elisa as the daughter of a criminal.

In terms of how each character will affect the others and the group as a whole, I think it would be nice to see Alvi get his youngest son back somehow. He is such a loyal person and I felt like he was trying to do right by his kiddos and provide for them, even if he's going about it in the wrong way. However, he might not be so kind to Claire's ex and I'm a little worried about that since you mentioned impending ugliness.

I'd like to see more about Ayesha and her backstory and why she chose a life of crime. I'm curious also about who else in the Valley might join their little circle of crime.

I didn't see much about Xander either though he has a girlfriend outside the circle and I feel like his criminal behavior might affect that relationship negatively.

I also think there might be problems cropping up for Claire as she seems to be bitter and I would hate to see this hurt her child. I can understand she's upset about Jared breaking things off with her and leaving her to raise the baby alone, but the little Elisa shouldn't have to suffer because of this... I hope... Her bitterness might also drive her to do something stupid or persuade someone else to do something on her behalf against her ex since she seems to hate him. Just speculating here. :)

P.S. I like the trading cards idea. Unique. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks, @AdamsEve1231 I'll show you all of my cards soon. Right now, there are some spoilers to stories I haven't posted yet.

I like seeing premade sims I've written about appear in other writer's stories as well. People who love the sims know their backstories and I find it very effective giving little nods and references from Sims lore while telling your own story.

Miraj's situation was sad for me too, though visitation was a good thing for the household. Do you think maybe in a way, Alvi lost a son but gained one back referring to VJ's newfound respect for his criminal dad? What do you think about the situation itself taking its toll on Alvi? Could it be the very cause of his 'personality'? Could it be the way he's always been and the situation elevated it? Maybe someone could help keep this insanity in check...

What we do know is that Xander is a playboy and has had a fling with Claire while dating Tamara. Secrets have a way of ruining lives but that's all I'll say for now.

I get what you're saying about Claire and we can come up with a lot of good points in discussing her parenting (good or bad). It can't be easy for her being a single mother and criminal, not to mention being the leader (Ayesha is co leader). On top of that, she hides her identity as the brains of the organization. It seems like she's looking forward to training Elisa. Consider what Claire has on her plate. Danger aside, it would be a little easier for her to keep a close eye on her daughter. On the other hand, kids have their own dreams and we can only hope one day Claire will ask Elisa what she wants to be when she grows up?'