Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Simcraft81 wrote: »

Wow... the drama... it was a fun read!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @CreamierThanMami and @xJojox... any nominations for SOTM?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I've been reading Fine Lines again and slowly catching up. I still have a long way to go. It got me thinking though, since we're supposed to be discussing Fine Lines. I love how authentic Abby feels as a teenager @xJojox. I feel like your writing style speaks volumes to this. She seems like a realistic and believable teenager and it takes me back to my teen years and my struggles with my own parent's divorce, and just the woes of being an average teenage girl. I remember getting mouthy with my mom and frustrated because I didn't fully understand everything that went on and no one gave me a courtesy sit-down-this-is-what's-happening talk; it just happened. Abby takes me back to those days, but not in a bad way, and not in a nostalgic way, more in a self-awareness way and an understanding in retrospect way. To the group, what parts of Fine Lines do you resonate with or relate to?

Part of what I strive to do as a writer is create characters that feel real and three-dimensional and I love reading characters who are also. Abby is one of these characters for me. I feel like @xJojox you really have the speech, attitudes, mannerisms, and behaviors of a teenager down really well. I definitely feel like I write better female than male characters, particularly young adults. I struggle the most with children I think. So I have another question for the circle... is there a particular character or group of people you have an easier time with writing? is there a particular character you've come across in SimLit (either in our group or elsewhere) that feels real to you?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I answered your question about O'Raj in the comment section under the Divas story.
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    To the group, what parts of Fine Lines do you resonate with or relate to?

Well a lot of people have asked in the past whether my parents divorced. Because her emotions seemed real about the ordeal. My parents are actually happily married and have been for 40 years. But i have 4 teenagers living with me. So sometimes i ask them, what would you do if this happened? Or what would you say? As some of you have probably found out i have crossed over to talking in 'Justin POV' about 5 or 6 times now in the last 28 chapters. I do find it very very very hard to cross over to him ... only because its harder to write in a man's sense. Sometimes i do the same and ask my husband 'man like' questions to get an idea as well.

In regards to fine lines, I resonate with the piano. Maybe not as strongly as Abby does ... but music in general. I play the piano, clarinet and the guitar and have been since i was in my early teens (never wanted to be famous though lol even though i play very well). And i also can relate to her relationship with her father. BUT for everything else ... I was probably all of her opposites. Sometimes i write in a sense of maybe wondering what it might have been like to be her...

I'm not the best writer, my phrasing, grammar or punctuation is far from perfect. BUT i did strive to get well thought out characters and bring realness and feelings to them so people could connect with them in some way or form. I think some of the characters do remind them of themselves, other people or even their experiences may hit home. So i thought that in doing this, i wouldn't have to be the best writer if people could do that.

Is there a particular character or group of people you have an easier time with writing?

is there a particular character you've come across in SimLit (either in our group or elsewhere) that feels real to you? Obviously, i'm a grown woman. And you would think i would have an easier time writing older stuff. But fine lines is targeted between ages 15 on wards. It does drape around the teen life for a period of time, before we see Abby become an adult. I'm very busy on the forums between sim lit, and writing, and contests and actual real life ... soooo i don;t get to read as much as i would want to (even though i replaced real books with sims writing!) I do find Kass quite real when i read about her. I still am reading that. But i find it easy to pick up even if i go a week without reading it.
  • Options
    @xJojox It is a good idea to learn how to write from a certain POV by asking a male or child questions. Actually you could ask several people and see what the majority has to say. You could also just listen to people when they are engaged in a conversation..not to encourage eaves dropping of course lol. I enjoyed doing O'Raj's journal because it's fun remembering my childhood and what I would say or do at a younger age. I also think about what my kindergarten classmates would say or how they would say it.
  • Options
    I've witnessed and experienced enough conversations to go on for sure!
    And i have a 13 yr old and a 16 yr old (plus my own experiences as a teen) to know how their moods work. Especially when its really current. I see the eldest go thru friendships, relationships, and just trouble in general lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Oh! And there are times when it doesn't matter if you're male or female to relate to something in a story, @xJojox . For example, I've felt the same way Abby did when she saw the girl leave Justin's place. It's the same feeling I had when I saw a girl I liked in a picture with some other guy on myspace (years ago lol). It was a bad feeling especially when you've already told the girl how you felt about her... Couldn't blame Abby for studying that girl in the elevator. She was comparing the girl to herself because she was upset and jealous like anybody would if they really liked someone. But just saying some Point of views are the same no matter who you are :)
    Post edited by Simcraft81 on
  • Options
    This week is supposed to include a discussion of @CreamierThanMami's Journey of a Thousand Steps Prologue.

Creamy, I hope you're doing okay since we haven't heard from you on the forums in awhile. Hugs, best wishes, and prayers coming your direction. :)<3

@JLBDreamer, @Simcraft81, @xJojox, Anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share on Journey's prologue (any or all of the 3 parts)?

I, for one, am going to say I really like Creamy's writing style. I love the description and I feel completely immersed and hooked into the world of Journey from the beginning. There's so much detail and the world building is incredible. I personally struggle with writing descriptively, in my opinion, and so I am always impressed with those who seem to have a great handle on things.

I'll add more thoughts about the actual story later. Just wanted to check in with everyone and see how we're all doing.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Oh, I wanted to add...
    We've had a request for another member to join our circle. I'm open to this if you all are since we've had long periods of inactivity (and I know everyone's busy so no pressure from me). I thought we might want some fresh voices in here. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @JLBDreamer, @Simcraft81, @CreamierThanMami, and @xJojox Hey everyone, We're now on the 13th day of the month for the SOTM contest. We have only had 2 nominations. If no one else has any thoughts or nominations, I'm going to vote we say Erica Wilder from JLBDreams' story is the winner since my story was nominated last month.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    im good to have another member join us :)
  • Options
    Prologue part 1 was my favorite because I just liked reading about how the world got out of hand and mentioning gossip and other secular things reminded me of some of the problems going on today. The idea of just starting over is intriguing and opens up possibilities. @CreamierThanMami has shown us her own vision of a possibility from this prologue but many ideas can manifest from the way it is written. Does anyone else feel this way?
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
  • Options
    @xJojox @CreamierThanMami @JLBDreamer @Simcraft81

I've started a new Kass series. This one takes place between KCLKF and KFLL. It's called Interludes & Solitude and it follows Kass' year on the road with her father, Howard Fullbright. It also coincides with my other series From Riverview, With Love about Gage Briody (her best friend).

cover.jpg?w=1075
    You can read more about this series here.

Good news! If you aren't caught up with my story yet, don't worry. I won't be updating KFLL for a bit because I need to hash out some interlude details, which I will do in I&S.

Forgive the delay in announcing this since I started the series a bit ago.

If you haven't had a chance to yet, you can catch up reading KCLKF and move onto I&S or jump around as you like, depending on where you are. There are 3 episodes of I&S out now.

FYI, there are a few minor spoilers in KFLL for I&S, but nothing major.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 I'm sorry I've dropped out of sight suddenly. I just had a few extra things sort of destroy any free time I had after the weekend. On the weekend I took one day off from writing and then some things happened I wasn't expecting so I haven't had time to work on writing or reading simlit. I haven't had time to think about the nomination but thanks for Erica being nominated.

I'll have more time on Sunday in the evening if things go well today and tomorrow.

@JLBDreamer No worries! I appreciate you popping by and keeping us up to date. I totally get busy. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks, Lizzie @AdamsEve1231 :) Glad it didn't seem like I was flooding the thread lol! Nice Title for your new series!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    Just a reminder lovely reading circle peeps... we'll be discussing @JLBDreamer's Wilder Hearts Vampiracy the next two weeks starting tomorrow.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    I have a new episode of Interludes & Solitude out... actually for a few days, but I haven't been able to update here. If anyone's interested, here's
    Lucky Palms, Ep. 4, Help Wanted

screenshot-590.jpg?w=1075

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @CreamierthanMami are you still around? You haven't been active in a long while and I just want to make sure you're still wanting to be in this group. If not, please let me know so we can open up your spot for others.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on