Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relationship Culling has led to baby neglect???!!

The relationship culling system has a new complaint made about it everyday since it was brought out in the December patch, but now this is a ridiculous new level. I didn't play on one of my families for perhaps a week in sim-time, which led to the relationship between a mother and her baby decreasing to zero, and as soon as I loaded up the game I got the notification that the baby was taken away due to neglect?

I really really think this relationship culling needs to be taken out of the game its just frustrating and I don't see the point in it.

Comments

• Options
    laravalentine10laravalentine10 Posts: 2 New Member
    All of my family members are getting culled down, they are still in the relationship box but they have no relationship, which they did before.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Well although EA should not bring in bad features like that I'd recommend using the no relationship culling mod.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    All of my family members are getting culled down, they are still in the relationship box but they have no relationship, which they did before.

When relationship culling happens, the Sims are completely removed from the relationship panel, as if they had never even met before.
    I haven't heard of relationship culling just decreasing the levels of said relationships, though. But if you're playing rotationally, that's bound to happen, because you aren't there to keep up with them socializing with who they're close to. So, their levels end up decreasing.
    That isn't relationship culling, that's just a matter of the Sims not spending enough time together.
  • Options
    Beena0721Beena0721 Posts: 82 Member
    A few of us have been talking about this issue over in this thread:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/889644/possible-bug-has-relationship-culling-gotten-worse/p1

I'm still not sure if what we're experiencing is relationship culling "working as intended" or a bug, but it's really, really annoying either way. It's made rotational play kind of pointless because every time you switch households it's like you're starting all over with the relationships, even family members. I don't use MC Command Center so I don't know if that's helped or not. Has anyone had any luck with it? I'm planning to give it a try this weekend though.
  • Options
    DJNSDJNS Posts: 74 Member
    No, it is not about that at all. I have been playing rotational since I first purchased Sims 4 and only recently have I started having issues with relationships being drained down to nothing. It's frustrating to say the least and game-breaking (especially if it leads to babies being taken away) as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    @SimGuruNick

Hi, I'm using a mod now but before that I had my sims friends also culled, well their relationship with their friends. I had one sims close to being in a relationship with a townie and then the relationship was culled.

• Options
    rjhenn14rjhenn14 Posts: 601 Member
    DJNS wrote: »
    No, it is not about that at all. I have been playing rotational since I first purchased Sims 4 and only recently have I started having issues with relationships being drained down to nothing. It's frustrating to say the least and game-breaking (especially if it leads to babies being taken away) as far as I am concerned.

I have been noticing this too! I have been playing rotational since day one and now all of a sudden I enter a household and husband/wife have barely any friendship/romance toward each other, obviously still married but like 0 friendship/romance and this never happened before! It's happened to families I have played quite recently too!

I am thinking its a bug.

• Options
    mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    This has been killing my game too! I play rotational with 53 families and by the time I make it back to the beginning, they no longer have any friends, their relationships with their spouse and children are at 0 and they only know the people they are related to and their exes. I don't use story progression and my aging mode is long and I didn't start having this problem until recently. I thought it was because I switched a household to short ageing and then switched back to long, but now I am wondering if there is a larger problem here. Oh I hope not, I have been going around using the modifyrelationship cheat and I don't want to have to use that every time I play a household especially since the relationship isn't reciprocated and it saddens me to have my sims greet their life long friend who doesn't know them any longer.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    If this isn't supposed to cull friends or family then yeah...definitely not working as intended :/
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    Same household relationships arent being frozen when we leave them. Married couples reduced to only knowing each other with 0 romance, club members dont know each other at all, the only friends in their panel are the ones that the game decided to have them flirt with while out of my control and even their relationship is at 0/0.

I spend a lot of time repairing relationships particularly between married couples and flat mates. Each patch, stuff pack or expansion has set the relationships between house mates and/or couples to fresh CAS levels or lower and wiping out any known sims that they have not had a previous flirtatious encounter with in my game. Additionally each patch seems to bump up the rate of decay for existing sims. Sims were set to full autonomy with only the selected sim set to off while at an active career. No mods, no cc - game has been repaired, caches deleted etc for solutions to no avail.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Nectere I've just gotten into the habit of deleting old saves and restarting a fresh game each time there is a big patch. I find I don't get attached to my Sims but it also saves a lot of aggravation.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    edited June 2016
    Ehm friends should not be culled? ALL my sims friends are being culled and so as everyones elses. I have lost several best friends of my sims, generation after generation and the forum is full of it... so what exactly are you talking about @SimGuruNick?
    This is clearly implnted in the game and not a bug in the OPS game... friends being culled is usually the problem on the forum threads.

My sims lose friends all the time as well as friends within clubs and household. I have to remake friends all the time, and I play rotational game play with at least 25 different households. It is really really tiring. I almost start to cry or get angry every time I start my game. I am literally tired of playing the Sims 4. I haven't been able to enjoy it and progress my stories since they implemented relationship culling. I strongly feel that I want my money back and just forget that I ever played this game. If I knew this would be implemented I wouldn't have bought the different packs.

The no culling mod don't always work in my game for some unknown reason.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    edited June 2016
    This is different than relationship culling. It's been going on since the June patches and it's more like ultra rapid relationship decay than culling, because the sims still know each other but the relationships decay much faster than you can keep them up when rotating households.

There is another thread about it here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/890482/relationships-suffered/p1

and here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/891666/unplayed-families-relationships-decreasing
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I had that when I first played the game ever and I put my sims grown YA girls next door to her and even though someone had a relationship with them they got culled. Now I use mods so I don't have any idea what would happen if I didn't.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @SimGuruNick - If we're playing rotationally, is it normal to have relationships change within households we're rotated away from? I don't recall it being that way when I first started playing after launch - I recall that relationship decay happened only for active households.

Also I thought the relationship culling for acquaintances was by design, so that's confusing now :/ Does this mean that at some point relationship culling might stop? I've mostly been concerned about it for played Sims and for Sims in clubs. Or has it been changed now, like the genealogy info? (Which is awesome to hear!)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    So there are a few types of issues that I know of.

Sim culling - where the Sim is removed from existence. This should never happen to a "played" Sim. Even if you're doing rotational play, as long as that particular household is marked as "played" the Sims should never be removed. Even if you're over the Sim cap. Only unplayed NPC townies should ever be culled from existence.

Relationship culling - where relationships disappear between two Sims. The Sim isn't removed from existence necessarily (although if they're an unplayed townie and you're over the Sim cap, they might have been), they are just removed from that particular Sim's relationship panel. This happens when the Sims had a low relationship score, such as Acquaintances, and you're doing rotational play. This is definitely not by design.

Relationship decay - where the friendship/romance levels of your Sims are lower than where you last saw them (because you're doing rotational play). This is somewhat expected/by design, but there are recent reports of this decay happening much quicker now.

Family tree/genealogy was also an issue, where unplayed NPC townies were being culled, and some of those townies happened to be related to active Sims, which was messing with those active Sim's family trees. Those unplayed NPCs can still be culled, but as of the June 2nd Patch we now save info for them, so that they would appear in the family tree.

If what you're seeing in your game doesn't match up with what I've stated above, I'd love to see your save game.

I'd love to be able to send you saves because my games have been littered with the first two. Unfortunately I've gotten into the habit of deleting all saved games when a new patch comes out. It saves a lot of aggravation. If it continues in the game I just started should I just PM the link?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    @SimGuruNick - If we're playing rotationally, is it normal to have relationships change within households we're rotated away from? I don't recall it being that way when I first started playing after launch - I recall that relationship decay happened only for active households.

Also I thought the relationship culling for acquaintances was by design, so that's confusing now :/ Does this mean that at some point relationship culling might stop? I've mostly been concerned about it for played Sims and for Sims in clubs. Or has it been changed now, like the genealogy info? (Which is awesome to hear!)

Relationship decay within households that you've rotated away from is new with the June 2nd patch, and by design. It was done to help with performance, I believe. It's also a little aggressive right now, it sounds like.

And I don't think that relationship culling of acquaintances is by design, either. It's definitely still occurring on the current version of the game, though.
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    ...issues that I know of....Relationship culling - where relationships disappear between two Sims. The Sim isn't removed from existence necessarily (although if they're an unplayed townie and you're over the Sim cap, they might have been), they are just removed from that particular Sim's relationship panel. This happens when the Sims had a low relationship score, such as Acquaintances, and you're doing rotational play. This is definitely not by design....If what you're seeing in your game doesn't match up with what I've stated above, I'd love to see your save game.

@SimGuruNick So this definitely shouldnt be happening to friends or better right? The flat out, sim is gone from your relationships panel and you have to go meet them all over again type culling to friends in rotational play or and/updates.

They have so far remained in the clubs for me so I have been able to recoup some townie relationships that way, but its hit or miss if they show up once they dont know each other anymore which is often haha. I also keep my population low.

Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I am thrilled to hear about the genealogy info being saved now. I take it this means that when playing long generational games the founders will no longer eventually disappear from the family tree and their portraits will not end up blank squares?

Currently once hitting generation 8 or so of the same family the founders and their children (despite having ben played and having lived their lives in the same household) disappear from the family tree. It ruins legacy and dynasty game play for sure.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.