March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited October 2013
    the latest version I have is 1.57 something

the latest version is 1.63.4.024017 ... the CAW tool in the games/tools/create a world is for this version. check the links on the first page of this thread and look for CAW archives you should be able to find the CAW version that will match the 1.57 version
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited November 2013
    auntielynds,

I want to thank you again for your help... got Berwyn to look like I wanted! I did cheat a bit, used the moonlight fall files, copied the "stormy" img and ini files, made copies of it then renamed the copies to each of the other weather files. how does it look?....

Screenshot-6-3.jpg
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited November 2013
  • Khala_OakeageKhala_Oakeage Posts: 235 Member
    edited November 2013
    Does anyone know if the ingame "Pond" terrain paint is available for CAW and where I could find it?

This is the terrain paint:
    8228cfd2-3a27-4150-a241-d1d5db400f5c.jpg
    edited November 2013
    I have it here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/58pt8cf0ni1c26z/underwater_pond.dds

I thought it came with the base textures, or Martines mega pack, but I couldn't find it in those files. Who knows where I got it. :lol:
  • Khala_OakeageKhala_Oakeage Posts: 235 Member
    edited November 2013
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi Auntielynds,

If I want to export a heightmap of a existing EA (store) world, I first have to import the world in CAW (as described in this video) and then export the height map with the terrain tool. Right?

I did this and it seems to work but a confirmation from somebody who has done this before would be great. Maybe there is a quicker way of doing this (maybe there is a resource in the .world file or some other file I need to extract in S3PE).

Also, are you familiar with this program?
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/DDS-Converter-2.shtml

As you know there is Mystic thumbs or Paint.NET to convert DDS to JPEG. I use this free program Easy2Convert DDS to JPG. The only problem is, it converts one at a time. Since I have just extracted all _IMG files with names from 17 EA (store) worlds (I used, and decided to translate it as well, you're tutorial about extracting textures from EA worlds), this is not convenient. I want to see the pic so I can determine if I have all the textures for roads and terrains because I'am (almost) sure I extracted to much files. Before I publish the translating I have to make sure I got it right (also I want to offer them as download, I know there are already offered as download by other players but I think it's kind of cool to offer them myself in my brand new Dropbox account :-) ). So I found the above program. It passed malwarebytes, avast, virustotal and jotti, so I rule it as safe, but I'am just curious if you have experience with this program. I don't want Ghostscript, at this point there is no need for me to use this, and it comes with Mystic Thumbs, so I'am searching for an alternative. I always try to keep my pc clean and organised, with only program's I actually use with customize installations, but it seems a hopeless "battle" as installations often seem to have a mind of their own. But I keep trying.

Thank you.
    edited November 2013
    Hi SimLibby :D
    If I want to export a heightmap of a existing EA (store) world, I first have to import the world in CAW (as described in this video) and then export the height map with the terrain tool. Right?

That's how I do it. There could be an easier way, but no one has stumbled upon it.

I use mystic thumbs. It does not convert the .dds to .jpg, but allows you to view the .dds format on your computer as you would a .jpg. I've heard of the other programs, but I've never tried them because mystic thumbs does exactly what I want it to do. I used to use paint.net to convert them to .jpg until Locatus discovered mystic thumbs.
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi Auntielynds,

Mystic Thumbs is the most convenient one of all the programs, especially when you have a lot of .dds files. So, I will stop making a big deal that it comes with Ghost Script and safe myself unnecessary work.

As always, thank you very much.
  • StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi auntielynds,

Just a quick question. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can paint straight lines in CAW by holding down a certain key/keys while you paint. Is this correct or am I imagining this. If its correct do you know which keys?
    Simming since the beginning! :)
    edited November 2013
    Huh, I haven't heard that, but it sounds very plausible. Maybe someone else knows. If you find out, let me know. :)
  • StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited December 2013
    Huh, I haven't heard that, but it sounds very plausible. Maybe someone else knows. If you find out, let me know. :)

Aww schucks, I was sure as the Goddess of CAW you would be the one to know :wink:

I will certainly pop back and let you know if I find out 8)

edit: Ah Haa apparently holding the shift key while terrain painting will paint in straight lines... off to test it out 8)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Simming since the beginning! :)
    edited December 2013
    Cool!

I'm going to try it too. :D
  • SuniroseSunirose Posts: 460 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hi auntielynds, just wanted to let you know that bear mountain creations links are all dead. It seems like the website no longer exists.
    edited December 2013
    Thanks Sunirose. I knew that, but forgot to fix the links. I did manage to copy the tutorials to ts3cc, with permission.

Thanks for reminding me. :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,583 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hi auntielynds,

Just a quick question. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can paint straight lines in CAW by holding down a certain key/keys while you paint. Is this correct or am I imagining this. If its correct do you know which keys?

Hi :D

If I remember correctly it's in the tutorial- hot keys or something like that. I didn't find it worked well so I like the Mask tool in CAW to make lines for painting. :D

*Yes, page 3- Shift key :)
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hi. Please,

Where can I find Al Simhara, Champ Les Sims and Shang Simla terrain textures?

I look for some safe and checked download links.

Sorry for my english. XD

:)

• Beh2JammersBeh2Jammers Posts: 6
    edited December 2013
    I downloaded the CAW from a link you provided and everything works fine, it downloads ok with no problems, but I can't find the launcher, or whatever it is that starts it up.
  • pischypischy Posts: 40 New Member
    edited December 2013
    I downloaded the CAW from a link you provided and everything works fine, it downloads ok with no problems, but I can't find the launcher, or whatever it is that starts it up.

On the top bar where the terrain, road, lot, etc is, there should be a green plumbob (diamond). If you scroll over it, it should say "Edit In Game." Click it and the game opens up. When your in game there should be no music.
  • Cyndi617Cyndi617 Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Very helpful post it took me just a few minutes with paint.net. Thankyou so much! I looked for a png for about 45 mins before I found this thread.
  • aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited February 2014
    Wow, that is a brilliant tip about the straight lines! I hadn't even thought of that.

AuntieLynds, I don't know if you think this would be good to add to the list but I thought I'd share here: A few of us are having a blast trying out a program called World Machine to do terrain sculpting for CAW. AaronRogersi83 and a few others have used it to generate terrain, EA uses it, and I'm loving it. I'm hoping we can get some tutorials up that will make it accessible to folks, especially as the basic version of it is free. We've got a thread going about Procedural Terrain Generation here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/740271.page
    The tutorials are listed in the second post, and more to come.

Cheers!
  • Odie6775Odie6775 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi. I've been seeing a lot of worlds that have great, flat roads. I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it so that a road can go up a slope without being curvy on the sides.

What I want my outcome to look like:

screenshot_original.jpg

sf-ts3intothefuture-simfansworldmap-513x360.jpg
    (This image may not show up, so if it doesn't, It's an overview photo of Oasis Landing)
    (For this screenshot, I'm focusing on the road that goes up to the poor area, it winds up very flat, but sloped)

With those two screenshots, you probably know what I mean. I'm trying to create a slope that in length, goes vertically; but in width, stays flat.

Anyways, that's all. Thanks in advanced!
    edited February 2014
    Hey aminovas!

That looks really cool! I'll definitely link it up. I haven't been as active lately so I totally missed it.

Hello Odie6775 :-)
    What you need to do is use the road tools to smoothen them.

Place your road segments on the terrain.

AxgRrlG.jpg

Move them around till you get a nice configuration. I like to do curvy roads.

yLc4fMO.jpg

Then go to the Roads and Trees tab/Road Grading Tool.

Y6GL0uw.jpg

You can then choose your options.
    Speed vs. Quality slider: The farther set to Quality, the more dramatic the result. Keep in mind once you have your options set you can keep clicking on the road until you get just the right amount of gradation.

Single Segment vs. Connected Roads: I use the connected roads most of the time, but beware that this will alter every road section that is connected to the road segment you are clicking on. I usually have 4 or 5 connected road segments I want to smooth out, so at the ends of each side, I'll disconnect from the rest of the road, then reconnect after I'm done altering them.

Road Edge Parameters:
    the distance from the edge of the road to the point the alteration ends.

Adjacent Terrain Sculpting:
    None gives you a sharp edge, Smooth rounds it out.

When you're done, just click on the road and Wa-la!

• Odie6775Odie6775 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Hello Odie6775 :-)
    What you need to do is use the road tools to smoothen them.

When you're done, just click on the road and Wa-la!

Thanks! I'm very new to CaW, so I don't know much about it. but this really helped me. Thanks again!
  • denehtdeneht Posts: 119
    edited March 2014
    question im new to this world making but if i put a big rock on water or land will the sims walk true it or do i have to set up a marker soo they wont pass true solid rocks?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top