Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• Options
    SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited August 2013
    Hi Auntielynds,
    Other Active Caw Forums

"SimsExpressie" (SimsExpression) This is a Dutch site run by SimLibby. This translates well using Google Chrome.
    I wanted to let you know my forum wil be closed at 21 september. I have to little members and there is to little activity so I decided not to renew/extend my forum account.

I DO still have my website SimsExpressie.
    Dutch Tutorials

(Don't forget to change the language to dutch and than copy the link)
    * Creëer een Wereld Bibliotheek: ervaringen, tutorials, inspiratie by SimLibby EA Dutch Forum
    This topic is closed at my request. I finally have "my" CAW sticky, maybe you can include that in the first post:

Creëer een Wereld Bibliotheek: Handleidingen, Texturen, Technisch & Inspiratie

Which comes in handy. The only activity at my forum was about CAW, so I'am glad to have/can offer an alternative for when players want to ask me questions.

Thank you. Bye :P
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Libby.

I think all the sims 3 forums have been slowing down the last year or so.
  • Options
    matiazmatiaz Posts: 42 Member
    edited August 2013
    Just found this height map tut: http://juleslessthanthr33.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/png-height-map-tutorial/

Tested and working.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Great!

Thank you for posting matiaz. :D

I'll pop it in.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi Auntielynds,

I'am busy translating two tutorials about recoloring rabbitholes and metadata objects:

- Recolouring Rabbitholes by Piddlesam
    - Recoloring, Adding & Extracting Metadata Objects by you

I have some questions about the tutorials and, as always, I think you know the answer. You're my CAW oracle :wink:
    Edit: I have since educated myself on using s3oc. I will update this tutorial with this method soon.
    I was wondering what you have learned, because I can't find an update with this method. I want to make sure my translating is as accurate as it can be.

Save configuration: I could see everything on you're picture except the last thing. Generate Mip Maps --> Super sampling, Bilinear, Bicubic or Nearest neighbor. I choose Super sampling.

Some questions about Piddlesam's tutorial:

Can you please tell me which Paint.NET/save configuration to use with Piddlesam's tutorial? He only wrote this:
    Once you have fiddled with the files, remember to save them. You will not need to do anything expect save and close down paint.net
    There are many options with the save configuration. I would feel better if I knew (understand) what they are.
    piddlesam wrote:
    The other way is to enter this into you world but ive not worked this out properly so far.
    Isn't this the same as with the plants from you're tutorial? Open the .world file in S3PE, import the package and save, and open the world in CAW. Then players (and the creator) don't have to treat the recolored rabbithole as CC because it's part of the world file.

Also, I saw his picture didn't had the curtains above the windows and door (I don't know the proper English name for this curtain). This means, I can open the package in S3PE and delete the right IMG file. Is this the right way to do it?

I'am a little bit confused about this (source):
    Gurra wrote:
    And remember, don't open worlds in CAW after you have imported stuff like that since CAW tends to remove it from the .world file then, so import it right before exporting the world.
    I opened Ania Bay City (I often use you're world for my tutorials or to try things) in S3PE, imported the plants, opened the world in CAW, placed the plants and exported. The plants survived the export. So what am I missing?

En lastly,
    Can you teach me a little bit about the Paint.NET save configuration. I keep asking you and how convenient this is for me, it's not very efficient. It's time for me to understand this myself instead of asking and copying what somebody else is doing. You have learned yourself this, how would I do that? (where to start, what to read, etc.).

Thank you.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    As far as the save configuration, I don't change anything. The program automatically shows the settings it had when you opened it up.

I have to go out now, but I'll sit down tonight and see if I can't answer the rest of your questions. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That would be great. Thank you.
  • Options
    MayfairesimsMayfairesims Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    I've been trying for the last 2 days to download the create a world tool, with no luck. Is this cause my game is updated to 1.57 and the create a tool isn't updated yet, or am I just missing something? I've only just been reading about the tool but haven't ever used it yet so I have no clue really about how that all works.

Any help would be great ...Thanks :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    CAW is updated for 1.57 (see this topic). Similar topics are opened (almost) all the times CAW/The Sims 3 is updated so it's a good idea to check this forum after an The Sims 3 update so you know whether of not the tool is already updated (sometimes it takes a few days).

Do you have Windows or a Mac?
    CAW is only for Windows.

If you have a Mac it's apparently possible to play CAW using Bootcamp:
    How to install Windows using Boot Camp

Hope this helps. If not, what exactly happens when you try to download? Do you get a message or ... ?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for replying.

I am using windows. With the latest version of Firefox, but then I also tried chrome. still nothing. When I click on the download button I don't even get any kind of message, it just does nothing? I know it not my firewall since I can and have downloaded other things without any problems. I'm at a loss, this is the first time anything like this has happened.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Libby!
    Totally forgot I was supposed to respond further! Too much on my plate lately. :oops:

Mayfairesims,
    Try this, it's the direct link to the download.

http://thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/worldtool.exe

@auntielynds
    Post edited by auntielynds on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Libby!
    Totally forgot I was supposed to respond further! Too much on my plate lately.
    That's oke, I will figure it out. Take your time to digested. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Mayfairesims,
    Try this, it's the direct link to the download.

http://thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/worldtool.exe

Got it and thanks:) Got it installed no problem, went to open it - problem. The message I got was,

"CAW.exe has stopped working. A problem has caused the caw.exe to stop working correctly...etc"

So I came back to the beginning of this thread and checked out the trouble shooting links. I did remove all my cc (I just removed the whole mods folder). Then I cleared all the game caches as per instructions.

Tried to open again and still no luck. I'm beginning to think I'm just not supposed to even use this tool...lol

The clincher is, I had already wanted to call my world Ravenwood and guess what, saw advertised on TV just yesterday a new show coming on (foxfamily channel, I think FoxFamily) called Ravenswood...grrrr!

It's a sign I tell ya...lol

• Options
    SezaboSezabo Posts: 45
    edited October 2013
    Hi Auntielynds!

I've been playing a custom world which I created but I feel like my neighbourhood is empty despite adding lots of households to it. It is a large world. How do I make my world more lively? Is it just a matter of adding more and more sims or will the number of random sims (you know those sims that don't have homes they're just there working and stuff) gradually increase over time? On that note, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of cars around either (I think my city should have more cars).

I'm really curious to see what I could do!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi Sezabo :D

I know when I use Twallens NRass Story Progression, I get a quicker, and more diverse population. I haven't had that mod in lately, so I make sure I have a full bin of households in my bin to add to empty worlds. You may have to go in through edit in town and get them all cars. I hate all those sloppy jalopes and big lemons cluttering the streets. :lol:
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hi auntielynds TadOlson here I just started testing out a world I made as my first attempt at a CAW project and found it was working with only two households because it's new as a town and people haven't heard of it yet.I decided to not move them in too quickly because it causes problems with game play.I called it Riverdale and the terrain is like Sunset Valley because I'd used the Sunset Valley terrain map in CAW it make the project.My latest project is reworking Winfield because I'd found some glitched roads though the world was working well other than that one issue.I advise using simple terrain sculpting for early attempts with blank terrain maps so it takes less time to work on the terrain and more time setting up roads and I also don't populate my worlds because bad CC could infect prepopulated ones.I also like empty worlds best for my regular playing style.I found an empty world without lots can work well if the creator built it well and was careful with routing to make sure that wasn't glitched.This can show what I did,but I only have in game pictures.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I have a link to show more here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/718588.page
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    wannie00wannie00 Posts: 155 Member
    edited October 2013
    Ok so I have no idea if I'm posting in the right place but does anyone know how to get the recolored midnight hollow terrain in the actual game. I can't get CAW to launch and I want to recolor my Grim's Manor's terrain to match the rest of the world and I can't figure it out :(
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hi everybody out there?

I have a question that I have not seen answered through this thread. Can you help me please?

Is there a way to show the initial flyover I have created for my world in my thread? I mean, can it (The Initial Flyover) be uploaded to the forum?

Thankyou in any case.
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    junceda
    Can you start a video when the flyover starts? I can't remember if the lower menu shows then, or if it pops up after the flythrough. If you had one of those programs that captures the video from your screen, you could upload it to youtube, then embed the code in your thread.

I found this you can check out.
    http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/09/17-free-tools-for-creating-screen.html

wannie00,
    There should be a tutorial at MTS, I might even have it link on the first post here. I know I have a link on my home computer, I'll check later.
  • Options
    flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited October 2013
    auntielynds I need your help! I have reviewed the simsample tut on recoloring the sky and such through the .ini files but nothing against him he tends to write a bit more techy than I can understand at times (after all I am an old guy with limited computer knowledge... :lol: ) is there another tut out there to help me create a permanently overcast world (not a dark world like MH) (think the cloudiness slide bar is at at the third setting in CAW), or is there a way to have someone do this for me? I am at a loss here. And to be totally honest I am afraid to even attempt to play with this file because with my luck (and senior moments) I would crash this world into nothingness :lol:
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2013
    There's no other tut out there that I know of. I've been successful altering the ini files, but no luck with the color ramps. I've tried altering them, but my paint program must not be able to ave in the right format because the world won't even open up after I alter them. I usually just choose an EA worlds ini & colr ramps I like, and add those. You can tweak the ini files to make them brighter, darker, more or less shadows, and whatnot. Check out mahamudos post on that same thread here. It's the LightingCommon.ini or in s3pe form: 0x5E4F8E7B226066CA 0x00000000 0x1F886EAD that he talks about. You could use the Midnight Hollow, or the Moonlight falls lighting files, and adjust the brightness. The easiest way I have found to do this is to use the config folder to adjust the files. With caw open, and the world folder with the config files open. you can change all the variables, save, and see it immediately in caw.

[urlhttp://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=466283]CAW resource packaging routines[/url]

I already added a config with the ini''s for MH here

I think I spent a week of my caw time altering the ini files for the world I'm working on now. It takes forever, but worth it in the end. Just ask if you have anymore questions. I'm on skype too if you have a mic or headset, it might be easier to chat. I'm one of those two finger typists. :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    There's no other tut out there that I know of. I've been successful altering the ini files, but no luck with the color ramps. I've tried altering them, but my paint program must not be able to ave in the right format because the world won't even open up after I alter them. I usually just choose an EA worlds ini & colr ramps I like, and add those. You can tweak the ini files to make them brighter, darker, more or less shadows, and whatnot. Check out mahamudos post on that same thread here. It's the LightingCommon.ini or in s3pe form: 0x5E4F8E7B226066CA 0x00000000 0x1F886EAD that he talks about. You could use the Midnight Hollow, or the Moonlight falls lighting files, and adjust the brightness. The easiest way I have found to do this is to use the config folder to adjust the files. With caw open, and the world folder with the config files open. you can change all the variables, save, and see it immediately in caw.

CAW resource packaging routines

I already added a config with the ini''s for MH here

I think I spent a week of my caw time altering the ini files for the world I'm working on now. It takes forever, but worth it in the end. Just ask if you have anymore questions. I'm on skype too if you have a mic or headset, it might be easier to chat. I'm one of those two finger typists. :lol:

:lol: I am also one of those "hunt and peck" typists I really do not use skype but I may have to look into it. Thanks for the info I will try my luck on a test save of this world I am working on so as to not destroy the original, which I will most likely do to the test version :D thanks again!!
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    RobDJversion2RobDJversion2 Posts: 12
    edited October 2013
    Hi, I downloaded it through this link (http://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world) and after installation I was told my current installed version of the game is not compatible with CAW and to uninstall CAW and re-install the more up-to-date version. Where can I find the more up-to-date one?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi, I downloaded it through this link (http://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world) and after installation I was told my current installed version of the game is not compatible with CAW and to uninstall CAW and re-install the more up-to-date version. Where can I find the more up-to-date one?

RobDJversion2... which version of the sims do you have? there is a link here in this thread for almost all versions of the caw tool.
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    RobDJversion2RobDJversion2 Posts: 12
    edited October 2013
    the latest version I have is 1.57 something

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top