Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 VR!

MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
edited November 2018 in The Sims 4 Speculation and Rumor
Have u ever considered the possibilities if we could jump into the sims? I wish it was a VR version. Maybe sims 5?
EDIT: Now that we are getting something close to VR, tell us all about the new possibilities for the game. Would love to hear your thoughts.
For-forum.jpg
Post edited by MeTime85 on

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Me neither.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    edited May 2018
    I would love a Sims VR. I have been playing Skyrim VR and wow!!! So great to be in the world. Of course, I would wish it to be a game pack that we could add to our game, so it could be an option. I also hope they add a VR option to any future sims.

By adding it as a game pack, it would allow those that do not wish to have it the opportunity to continue to play the flat version. A VR pack will also allow those that bought it the option to go back an forth.

• Options
    VriyayaVriyaya Posts: 32 Member
    i dont like the idea of a sims VR. Its not an rpg like skyrim where you play a character so to speak. I dont want to step into the sims world and act like a sim. I just want to be able to control and watch them.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Sims VR sounds like one of those woohoo games to me..
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm not sure EA would take a chance on Sims VR right now; they'd probably wait until the prices drop on the headsets and make sure there's a single standard for the technology to avoid being stuck on the wrong side like people did in the VHS v. Betamax wars. They're not really interested in producing a niche game that's going to require an extra $300-500 (in US) investment to play -- they'd rather people spend their money with them not an outside company to buy equipment.

A good look at current VR technology can be found here: https://www.pcmag.com/article/342537/the-best-virtual-reality-vr-headsets

My main concern about VR is whether there is a risk of eye damage if you spend too much time immersed in it. Most doctors advise people who do a lot of computer work is to take frequent breaks and let your eyes focus on something away from the screen (those loading screens in Sims 4 come in handy to signal you to take a break!) before returning to your activities. It might take 10 or 20 years before we see a rash of people hitting up the optician's offices looking for glasses or the surgeon for laser surgery thanks to playing VR games. Just not sure if enough research has been done into long-term effects.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    alyssad9918alyssad9918 Posts: 34 Member
    Freygea wrote: »
    I would love a Sims VR. I have been playing Skyrim VR and wow!!! So great to be in the world.
    Skyrim on VR is absolutely amazing!!

Only I have to say is that maybe rather than making it another game pack, to put it in the games options?? But I agree it should be purely optional, as I can't see myself ever using it lol, but it sure would be interesting to see!!
    giphy.gif
    origin ID: alyssad9918
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    VR doesn’t appeal to me right now. I am sort of hoping that that’s not the only option in the future. However, I wouldn’t be opposed to having sims with VR capabilities, so long as I could still play as normal if I so desired
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited May 2018
    I would prefer a separate team work on a "The Sims VR" than for the team that works on The Sims Series. I enjoy my sandbox and want this franchise to continue on with this series how it has always been for the past four iterations; for instance, they created* The Sims Online and it was separate from "The Sims", so that would be more ideal if they were to create something like this. At least that's my take/opinion on it. I think it's a cool idea, though. :)

*typo
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    I would love a Sims VR. I have been playing Skyrim VR and wow!!! So great to be in the world.

Only I have to say is that maybe rather than making it another game pack, to put it in the games options?? But I agree it should be purely optional, as I can't see myself ever using it lol, but it sure would be interesting to see!!

As long as Origin has no VR - then there will be no sims in VR. Sims 4 only works Origin. Also you cannot add VR via a patch. The game engine must be VR compatible as well as the game programming. So the game engine needs to be built for VR capabilities - period. This game engine is built for multi-tasking and not very much action. VR works with action. I could see it now the highlight of you VR experience would be dancing in sync with your sims or working out on a rock wall, maybe jogging with you sim dog. FUN, FUN, FUN.

This is not flight simulation - it is Sims living ordinary, everyday life with their biggest experience is climbing a firey rock wall. Add to that it is teen rated - that will never change and any action that would dare to make the rating board raise an eye brow is out of the question for the Sims. Believe me - they may eventually get a Sims game - with a more adventurous side to it and a proper action capable game engine like EA's Frostbite 3 or maybe even an Unreal game engine - but smart technology AI on an Pixar style game engine will never be VR capable. It will also need a more open environment, and a heck of a lot more powerful pc than the present Sims game can run on.

I run a high end gaming desktop pc with 8 cores and 16 gigs of ram - I'd still need to beef up my pc to run VR - not that I ever will run VR as I get vertigo, serious nauseous vertigo and it triggers serious migraines with full aura - but regardless my pc would struggle a bit with VR. I have 2700 invested in this pc build and would need another 2000 invested to even think about either of the two VR sets that work well with pc. I have tested both - last year at the electronics fair - and believe me they make me very ill. So I advise anyone before you think VR on PC is for you - you need to check it out before you invest. Make sure you test a pc - do not go by a PS4 experience. Very different experience to your brain receptors as I quickly found out.

But this particular Sims - I cannot see it handling VR on this engine and definitely not at these low end requirements - as suggested requirement for Sims 4 is way too low for VR. Besides as long as the option is not on Origin - it is not a Sims 4 pc option anyway. ( I do not know if it may be possible for console versions though once Origin offers it )

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    VR doesn’t appeal to me right now. I am sort of hoping that that’s not the only option in the future. However, I wouldn’t be opposed to having sims with VR capabilities, so long as I could still play as normal if I so desired

I would guess they may be two separate games - as VR require much higher specs like 4 ports for one, an I-7 with at least a 4.5 ghz 8 core processor speeds, if I remember correctly my pc needed all 16 gigs of ram I have in it, and a 1070 preferably stand alone video card at least, and plus actual VR equipment and the app to run it. Just the VR stuff - one was 500 and the other was nearly a thousand.

Believe me I wanted to pay to get physically ill - well think I will go buy a ticket for the local carousel. It's much cheaper for 3 bucks. LOL. But truthfully I really think it would need two game versions or they would lose a lot of players if everyone needs a supercomputer just to play the sims - seeing it really doesn't have the kind of action and openness VR matter in providing you can even take VR.

I do suggest - trying it out before you consider spending that kind of money on a system for pc. Believe me it is much harder on you than on a system made for console. I learned the hardway thinking I'd have no issues - boy was I wrong.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    I would prefer a separate team work on a "The Sims VR" than for the team that works on The Sims Series. I enjoy my sandbox and want this franchise to continue on with this series how it has always been for the past four iterations; for instance, they created* The Sims Online and it was separate from "The Sims", so that would be more ideal if they were to create something like this. At least that's my take/opinion on it. I think it's a cool idea, though. :)

*typo

I would think they would have no choice but have separate teams - just like mobile and console have separate teams. They have very different requirements and would need very different play to make VR worth it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm not sure EA would take a chance on Sims VR right now; they'd probably wait until the prices drop on the headsets and make sure there's a single standard for the technology to avoid being stuck on the wrong side like people did in the VHS v. Betamax wars. They're not really interested in producing a niche game that's going to require an extra $300-500 (in US) investment to play -- they'd rather people spend their money with them not an outside company to buy equipment.

A good look at current VR technology can be found here: https://www.pcmag.com/article/342537/the-best-virtual-reality-vr-headsets

My main concern about VR is whether there is a risk of eye damage if you spend too much time immersed in it. Most doctors advise people who do a lot of computer work is to take frequent breaks and let your eyes focus on something away from the screen (those loading screens in Sims 4 come in handy to signal you to take a break!) before returning to your activities. It might take 10 or 20 years before we see a rash of people hitting up the optician's offices looking for glasses or the surgeon for laser surgery thanks to playing VR games. Just not sure if enough research has been done into long-term effects.

We already have to invest in gaming computers just to play the Sims, so I don't think there's much difference in that regard. I got a used Samsung Odyssey headset for $250, compared to the $1,200 I spent on my laptop. But I agree that a Sims VR doesn't seem likely any time soon. I wouldn't be against it, though. VR is an amazing experience.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

You can find some answer here -

https://www.quora.com/How-bad-are-virtual-reality-headsets-for-your-eyes-particularly-for-young-children

But from the sounds of it I phones and phone games do far worse damage to eyes than any other form of gaming.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »

I would guess they may be two separate games - as VR require much higher specs like 4 ports for one, an I-7 with at least a 4.5 ghz 8 core processor speeds, if I remember correctly my pc needed all 16 gigs of ram I have in it, and a 1070 preferably stand alone video card at least, and plus actual VR equipment and the app to run it. Just the VR stuff - one was 500 and the other was nearly a thousand.

Believe me I wanted to pay to get physically ill - well think I will go buy a ticket for the local carousel. It's much cheaper for 3 bucks. LOL. But truthfully I really think it would need two game versions or they would lose a lot of players if everyone needs a supercomputer just to play the sims - seeing it really doesn't have the kind of action and openness VR matter in providing you can even take VR.

I do suggest - trying it out before you consider spending that kind of money on a system for pc. Believe me it is much harder on you than on a system made for console. I learned the hardway thinking I'd have no issues - boy was I wrong.

I got a new computer a month ago and it’s pretty awesome and VR ready so I’m sure that part would be fine for me. But I get motion sick easily and so, like you, I might not really be able to handle VR games. I haven’t tried much yet but the bulky headsets also deter me
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

https://www.quora.com/How-bad-are-virtual-reality-headsets-for-your-eyes-particularly-for-young-children

But from the sounds of it I phones and phone games do far worse damage to eyes than any other form of gaming.

Phone games normally don't have players playing for an extended period of time. I play some casual phone tames (solitare or other puzzle games) and I can usually only play for 10 minutes or so before my thumbs and fingers get tired so I'll switch over to Pokemon GO when I'm waiting in the car, esepcially if we're near a Pokestop so I can get some more goodies. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member

As long as Origin has no VR - then there will be no sims in VR. Sims 4 only works Origin. Also you cannot add VR via a patch. The game engine must be VR compatible as well as the game programming. So the game engine needs to be built for VR capabilities - period. This game engine is built for multi-tasking and not very much action. VR works with action. I could see it now the highlight of you VR experience would be dancing in sync with your sims or working out on a rock wall, maybe jogging with you sim dog. FUN, FUN, FUN.

This is not flight simulation - it is Sims living ordinary, everyday life with their biggest experience is climbing a firey rock wall. Add to that it is teen rated - that will never change and any action that would dare to make the rating board raise an eye brow is out of the question for the Sims. Believe me - they may eventually get a Sims game - with a more adventurous side to it and a proper action capable game engine like EA's Frostbite 3 or maybe even an Unreal game engine - but smart technology AI on an Pixar style game engine will never be VR capable. It will also need a more open environment, and a heck of a lot more powerful pc than the present Sims game can run on.

I run a high end gaming desktop pc with 8 cores and 16 gigs of ram - I'd still need to beef up my pc to run VR - not that I ever will run VR as I get vertigo, serious nauseous vertigo and it triggers serious migraines with full aura - but regardless my pc would struggle a bit with VR. I have 2700 invested in this pc build and would need another 2000 invested to even think about either of the two VR sets that work well with pc. I have tested both - last year at the electronics fair - and believe me they make me very ill. So I advise anyone before you think VR on PC is for you - you need to check it out before you invest. Make sure you test a pc - do not go by a PS4 experience. Very different experience to your brain receptors as I quickly found out.

But this particular Sims - I cannot see it handling VR on this engine and definitely not at these low end requirements - as suggested requirement for Sims 4 is way too low for VR. Besides as long as the option is not on Origin - it is not a Sims 4 pc option anyway. ( I do not know if it may be possible for console versions though once Origin offers it )

Wait until people get the sticker shock of a new GPU, that could support VR gaming. I know the prices have gone down on some of the units but not the Nvidia 1080.

• Options
    jude72pla wrote: »

Wait until people get the sticker shock of a new GPU, that could support VR gaming. I know the prices have gone down on some of the units but not the Nvidia 1080.

And all the other upgrades they will need as well. I sure hope they test it out though before they buy.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

Phone games normally don't have players playing for an extended period of time. I play some casual phone tames (solitare or other puzzle games) and I can usually only play for 10 minutes or so before my thumbs and fingers get tired so I'll switch over to Pokemon GO when I'm waiting in the car, esepcially if we're near a Pokestop so I can get some more goodies. B)

LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    No thanks. I just want an entirely Offline experience for a Sims game. I even hate that Sims 4 needs origin.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

*typo

I would think they would have no choice but have separate teams - just like mobile and console have separate teams. They have very different requirements and would need very different play to make VR worth it.
    Which is why I wouldn’t want it to be optional either, because I think that will have to effect the overall game. The way people are ‘accusing’ Sims 4 of having certain features sacrificed because it was meant to be - partly? - MMO. I’d personally would very much love a completely single player non VR focus for this game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

*typo

Which is why I wouldn’t want it to be optional either, because I think that will have to effect the overall game. The way people are ‘accusing’ Sims 4 of having certain features sacrificed because it was meant to be - partly? - MMO. I’d personally would very much love a completely single player non VR focus for this game.

ME TOO! Give us our creativity back.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    4thStreet4thStreet Posts: 69 Member
    No thanks, I love the feel of watching a story unfold using the aspriations and whims. I dont think I would like being an actual "player" in the story, per-say.

However, what would be cool is in a builder's standpoint, if you could take a virtual tour of a house you built and interacted with some things. Doors and windows, sinks toilets, sitting g in chairs. But no real gameplay stuff.
    Take care of yourself, and each other!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    4thStreet wrote: »
    No thanks, I love the feel of watching a story unfold using the aspriations and whims. I dont think I would like being an actual "player" in the story, per-say.

However, what would be cool is in a builder's standpoint, if you could take a virtual tour of a house you built and interacted with some things. Doors and windows, sinks toilets, sitting g in chairs. But no real gameplay stuff.

Now that sounds interesting. Imagine VR and being able to build our own worlds again and going down to their level to check out every thing. Now that would be amazing - well for most - unfortunately me and VR do not get along. I'd still enjoys seeing pics of such things though. Maybe if VR was just in Build mode it'd not affect our gameplay.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Vriyaya wrote: »
    i dont like the idea of a sims VR. Its not an rpg like skyrim where you play a character so to speak. I dont want to step into the sims world and act like a sim. I just want to be able to control and watch them.

Yeah this^