Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 VR!

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    VR won't run on this game engine. So it isn't going to happen in Sims 4. EA's Frostbite 3 game engine will run VR but that game engine needs a real good high end gaming pc to run it well - and who knows if the Sims will ever get put on the mighty Frostbite 3. I mean that would be amazing - but I'd also question the way the Sims is developed - would the Frostbite 3 even be feasible. It's been a dream of mine for a while, but I seriously wonder if a game built in increments could adequately work well with that engine - seeing it runs EA's massive games and MMO , etc.

Of course I am already sure I could never take VR anyway - not on pc anyway - I get seriously ill within minutes of use on a pc with VR and stopping the use of the VR does not stop the illness - but that does not make me not want to see Sims on Frostbite 3 - LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    It would definitely be fun... But there would need to be some boundaries for certain things like woohoo, and fighting. Then again, fighting might be fun in VR. ;)
    p6tqefj
    edited November 2018
    The Ceo is saying VR won't be coming for some of their games for a good while (especially on PC) - but what they are looking into right is AR for pc. So yes augmented reality I could maybe use. I'll have to find out more about that - as I know nothing about AR.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    The Ceo is saying VR won't be coming for some of their games for a good while (especially on PC) - but what they are looking into right is AR for pc. So yes alternate reality I could maybe use. I'll have to find out more about that - as I know nothing about AR.

That could be cool!
  • NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    I think AR is short for augmented reality not alternative reality. Augmented reality is when you look through your smartphone camera and that stupid pokemon sits right there in your spaghetti carbonara you having for lunch.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Nelus wrote: »
    I think AR is short for augmented reality not alternative reality. Augmented reality is when you look through your smartphone camera and that stupid pokemon sits right there in your spaghetti carbonara you having for lunch.

lol
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited May 2018
    Nelus wrote: »

LOL - well you're right of course - but alternate reality actually sounded more interesting. Actually think it would be a real long time before my idea could ever happen - anyway. Augmented reality is a thing now it seems.

But it won't be on a smart phone anyway or a tablet for me. I use a flip phone - so no pokemons there. LOL - touch screens die a quick and cruel death when I touch them - so no smart phone for this simmer.

Guess we wait a few centuries to catch up with Voyagers game room - lol.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    How would augmented reality work for pc? If it's like the Pokemon camera where you see real life with your pokemon on the picture, pcs don't move so I'd just see the back of my study wall, lol.

Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    edited May 2018
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    How would augmented reality work for pc? If it's like the Pokemon camera where you see real life with your pokemon on the picture, pcs don't move so I'd just see the back of my study wall, lol.

Merging the digital world with the real using AR is all I know. How this is done - I have no idea - but I know the make special glasses for AR.

Don't know if that helps.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    Well i have no idea what they are up to and if they will ever release something with augmented reality.

For augmented reality you will always need a tool. A handy, webcam or glasses are commonly used. Also seen some simple implementations like those action figures you could buy and than put on some usb platform so they appear in your game, its of no use other than to charge more money for the physical object than the virtual alone.

of course there are advanced technologies available like taking pictures of your furniture and generating a 3d model from them to put into the game. even if they think about this, there is no easy way to make money out of it so its not gonna happen.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Wow, it would be so freaky if they used augmented reality to reverse the SimsVerse.
    https://youtu.be/uRHSNTUuZyg

Imagine mapping your room so the game can place sim objects inside it.
    So insted of your sim making cup cakes on the cup cake making machine, it's YOU!.
    You are the Sim in augmented reality.

Imagine getting a knock on your door and having a visiting sim walk through a CGI replacement door.
    Sims walking around in the real world.
    https://youtu.be/pQjzyPYovdU

Not a replacement for a traditional Sims game though, just something else to do.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    No thanks.
    VR gaming with the sims :o
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    VR is a dead technology like Kinect and 3D display.

I'll just leave this here.
    Demand for Augmented and Virtual Reality Expected to Soar this Year
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    No thanks. Besides, it will never happen for the sims. Not when they burn through half their budget on like 5 animations. Also, as others in this thread correctly pointed out, it would require game engine compatibility and optimization. Sims 4 and any future titles are made to target players who don't necessarily have the best PCs. Heck TS4 is so simplified design-wise even when some of us can run a much more sophisticated-looking game. Lastly, the gameplay wouldn't make sense, unless you're looking down at the house and your sims like you're playing with a dollhouse.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • xingyicaicnxingyicaicn Posts: 170 Member
    I think if it were to happen, it would be a “feature” of the main game. Like Grant said in his tweet above, once you finish building and decorating your house, you can walk in it like in a real house (with the help of a VR compatible device); or even before you finish the house, you can have this “first person” VR view to help you check out of everything is in the right place etc.
    It would be like watching a movie, with sims being characters and your creation being the set.
    H O P E H A S A P L A C E
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited June 2018
    @IceyJ wrote: »

Where is the VR at the E3 2018 ???

Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo conferences didn't talk about VR.

Except Sony, no big publisher announced VR games.
    @IceyJ wrote: »

From the article: "...worldwide spending on AR and VR products and services will reach $27 billion in 2018." This is all you need to know.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Ubisoft announced Transference, which is a VR game.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yaaassss!!!!!Sims VR! Or AR, or the closest thing to it!!Thank you Maxis, and Gurus!
    For-forum.jpg
    With this first person camera, The Sims 4 VR can be possible now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMXnyIxQTw

That's exactly how I plan to use it. At least sometimes, just to try something different.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited November 2018
    I look forward to this. :)
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • ArmoireArmoire Posts: 14 New Member
    I experimented with Sims 3 in VR awhile back with the Oculus DK1, using Tridef Ignition. I couldn't actually play the game because the UI was all messed up, but I could float around with the freecam which was really cool. With Tridef you had to set the scale yourself, like VorpX, so it was neat shifting them around so they looked like giants and then like tiny dolls/dollhouses. I couldn't really get the scale to ever seem normal though.

I can't afford a Vive or the necessary computer upgrade, but I do hope Sims comes to VR in some form eventually. However I really hope they do not simplify the game in any way to make it more "comfortable." I think playing just like normal, sitting down with just a mouse, would be perfect, with maybe a bit more depth to the freecam mode, but no change in the actual gameplay. I think making a separate game or pack for it would be a mistake, best to just tack it on as an afterthought, a neat mode that can be used by the few folks who happen to own the hardware, since I'm guessing even those who do play Sims and do have VR still will spend most of their time playing it with just a monitor and will only switch over every now and then.

As for this first-person mode, maybe somebody can get it to work with Tridef or VorpX or something (I messed with Sims 4 a bit with a mix of Tridef and Virtual Desktop with my DK2, but it was more like playing it on a 3d monitor so wasn't really VR), however it'd be FAR better to just use freecam mode. Being moved around without any control of the camera is barf city.