Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Pc / Laptop to play the sims 4 with best grahpics?

Comments

• Options
    ChloeTbtChloeTbt Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi there

I just received my macbook as a Christmas present
    It’s a macbook pro ver. 2017, 13’3 inches, core i5, Ram 8GB, SSD 256GB

Is it suitable for playing sims 4? what do you think? if you have any recommendations, pls feel free to give? I’d very much appreciate that

Thank you for your advice xxx
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    ChloeTbt wrote: »
    Hi there

I just received my macbook as a Christmas present
    It’s a macbook pro ver. 2017, 13’3 inches, core i5, Ram 8GB, SSD 256GB

Is it suitable for playing sims 4? what do you think? if you have any recommendations, pls feel free to give? I’d very much appreciate that

Thank you for your advice xxx

You'd better aks in this thread in the MAC section: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/813226/can-my-mac-run-the-sims-4-answers-can-be-found-here#latest
  • Options
    MeggiePandaPMeggiePandaP Posts: 8 New Member
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > MeggiePandaP wrote: »
    >
    > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > MeggiePandaP wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > > MeggiePandaP wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Hi :)
    > > > > Currently this would be about the cheapest proper gaming laptop that you can purchase:
    > > > >
    > > > > Things are not cheap here in Australia so you will be looking at a minimum of the above price tag.
    > > > > Where about's in Aus are you?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your response! The laptop looks brilliant. I had a goal of around $1000 but the extra $400 isn't the end of the world, I don't mind waiting a little longer to save the money for it. Things really aren't cheap here in Australia. I live in Brisbane.
    > > >
    > > > @mickeysimbo Thank you for your recommendation. The PC looks amazing! I'd definitely prefer a PC over a laptop. I wouldn't be able to get to their shop in Sydney but ordering it online wouldn't be a problem if there's nothing more local to me.
    > > >
    > > > Is 8gb ram sufficient for the game and all future packs? For some reason, I had it in my head that 8gb is an absolute minimum and that 16gb+ would be preferable. Is there much difference? Thank you :)
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > There are a few stores in your general area that i could also recommend, saves on expensive shipping.
    > >
    > > > Desktop is better then laptop for the money you get higher specs.
    > > > Let me know which you want and i'll do a search for you.
    > > > 8gb is fine for now.. can always upgrade latter down the road if need be. (not very expensive.)
    > >
    > > Thank you for your helpful response. I've had a browse through the websites that you suggested. They're both excellent and are possible for me to get to.
    > > I don't really have much of an idea what I'm looking for but, for example, how do you think this one (from Computer Alliance) would handle the game?
    > > Alliance Gen7 i5 "Ultimate" Desktop:Using the latest 7th Gen Intel i5 CPU and combined with 16GB of Memory, latest GTX1050 Graphics and super fast M.2 SSD storage, the Alliance Gen7 i5 Ultimate Desktop Computer is ideal for Home and mid level Gaming
    > >
    > > Is an i5 processor powerful enough? And is that graphics card any good?
    > > Thanks :)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > OK so since that website does allow you to change the configuration, that's what i would do.
    > > I would most likely choose the Ryzen instead and change a few things :
    > >
    > > This is a saved custom link (I customised it with better hardware.).. just too make sure it's the right one.. is the total $1408?
    > > I would highly recommend that over the NON custom systems. Also if you can do the extra i would include the thermaltake contact silent 12 cpu cooler.. it will give you slightly better cooling then the stock cooler. (pick from the cpu cooling drop down box)
    > > It will play the game on ultra without too many issues (the game is never perfect on any system LOL)
    >
    > This looks amazing, thank you so much for all your help! So you'd recommend the Ryzen processor over the i5? I'll pay the extra $45 for the better cooler as you suggest.....my old desktop was such a nightmare with overheating and I'd hate a repeat of that.
    > I've bookmarked and made a note of your recommendations and really hope to purchase in the next month or two. Thanks again
    >
    >
    >
    > Your Welcome.
    > Yes i would Recommend the Ryzen over last generations intel.. it will give you a little extra performance not just in games but in overall operation.
    > A week or two before you want to buy PM me and I'll go through the hardware again to make sure nothing has changed.. prices and stock levels change all the time :)

Thank you so much for all your help. Not just with me, but for all the questions you answer here. You must get so sick of answering such similar questions all the time, but you still give such well-thought-out and patient answers to everyone. Seriously, EA should be paying you for the amount of support you give here!
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > MeggiePandaP wrote: »
    >
    > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > MeggiePandaP wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > > MeggiePandaP wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Hi :)
    > > > > Currently this would be about the cheapest proper gaming laptop that you can purchase:
    > > > >
    > > > > Things are not cheap here in Australia so you will be looking at a minimum of the above price tag.
    > > > > Where about's in Aus are you?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your response! The laptop looks brilliant. I had a goal of around $1000 but the extra $400 isn't the end of the world, I don't mind waiting a little longer to save the money for it. Things really aren't cheap here in Australia. I live in Brisbane.
    > > >
    > > > @mickeysimbo Thank you for your recommendation. The PC looks amazing! I'd definitely prefer a PC over a laptop. I wouldn't be able to get to their shop in Sydney but ordering it online wouldn't be a problem if there's nothing more local to me.
    > > >
    > > > Is 8gb ram sufficient for the game and all future packs? For some reason, I had it in my head that 8gb is an absolute minimum and that 16gb+ would be preferable. Is there much difference? Thank you :)
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > There are a few stores in your general area that i could also recommend, saves on expensive shipping.
    > >
    > > > Desktop is better then laptop for the money you get higher specs.
    > > > Let me know which you want and i'll do a search for you.
    > > > 8gb is fine for now.. can always upgrade latter down the road if need be. (not very expensive.)
    > >
    > > Thank you for your helpful response. I've had a browse through the websites that you suggested. They're both excellent and are possible for me to get to.
    > > I don't really have much of an idea what I'm looking for but, for example, how do you think this one (from Computer Alliance) would handle the game?
    > > Alliance Gen7 i5 "Ultimate" Desktop:Using the latest 7th Gen Intel i5 CPU and combined with 16GB of Memory, latest GTX1050 Graphics and super fast M.2 SSD storage, the Alliance Gen7 i5 Ultimate Desktop Computer is ideal for Home and mid level Gaming
    > >
    > > Is an i5 processor powerful enough? And is that graphics card any good?
    > > Thanks :)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > OK so since that website does allow you to change the configuration, that's what i would do.
    > > I would most likely choose the Ryzen instead and change a few things :
    > >
    > > This is a saved custom link (I customised it with better hardware.).. just too make sure it's the right one.. is the total $1408?
    > > I would highly recommend that over the NON custom systems. Also if you can do the extra i would include the thermaltake contact silent 12 cpu cooler.. it will give you slightly better cooling then the stock cooler. (pick from the cpu cooling drop down box)
    > > It will play the game on ultra without too many issues (the game is never perfect on any system LOL)
    >
    > This looks amazing, thank you so much for all your help! So you'd recommend the Ryzen processor over the i5? I'll pay the extra $45 for the better cooler as you suggest.....my old desktop was such a nightmare with overheating and I'd hate a repeat of that.
    > I've bookmarked and made a note of your recommendations and really hope to purchase in the next month or two. Thanks again
    >
    >
    >
    > Your Welcome.
    > Yes i would Recommend the Ryzen over last generations intel.. it will give you a little extra performance not just in games but in overall operation.
    > A week or two before you want to buy PM me and I'll go through the hardware again to make sure nothing has changed.. prices and stock levels change all the time :)

Thank you so much for all your help. Not just with me, but for all the questions you answer here. You must get so sick of answering such similar questions all the time, but you still give such well-thought-out and patient answers to everyone. Seriously, EA should be paying you for the amount of support you give here!

Your Very Welcome :)
    I really do not mind helping others with the tech side of things, You see so many people post about how they cannot play the game with their new computers (computers that sales people told them would play the game well LOL) So if i can help that by spending some free time here then i really do not mind. Choosing a pc can be a daunting process, i'm glad i can make it easier :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    captorablecaptorable Posts: 16 Member
    hey yall! i hope its okay to post this question here since i cant start my own thread, apparantly! nor post links! but i, like many people, am looking for a good laptop to play ts4 on (as well as some games w lower specs, but as most of them either already run fine on my current non-gaming laptop, or are lower priority for me, that shouldn't be an issue.

anyways, i saw a laptop on sale that's called the ACER Nitro 5 AN515-51-5048. theres a pretty good sale on it in my country right now, and while i dont need to run ts4 on ultra settings or anything, ill settle for high-ish setting without too much lag. my current laptop (HP Pavilion 15-d056nd G7E93EA) isnt cutting it anymore, and i know i want a gaming laptop as i need the portability. i was just wondering if any of yall know if these specs would be decent enough, and if you knew what settings it could run!

sorry if this is the wrong place to post and ty in advance!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    captorable wrote: »
    hey yall! i hope its okay to post this question here since i cant start my own thread, apparantly! nor post links! but i, like many people, am looking for a good laptop to play ts4 on (as well as some games w lower specs, but as most of them either already run fine on my current non-gaming laptop, or are lower priority for me, that shouldn't be an issue.

anyways, i saw a laptop on sale that's called the ACER Nitro 5 AN515-51-5048. theres a pretty good sale on it in my country right now, and while i dont need to run ts4 on ultra settings or anything, ill settle for high-ish setting without too much lag. my current laptop (HP Pavilion 15-d056nd G7E93EA) isnt cutting it anymore, and i know i want a gaming laptop as i need the portability. i was just wondering if any of yall know if these specs would be decent enough, and if you knew what settings it could run!

It meets recommended requirements to run the game. It does come with two hard drives. They put a very small ssd on c drive for booting windows quicker but you can't game on it. You would have to custom install the game on the second 1tb hard drive.

@rosemow can give you instructions on how to custom install the game to another drive and how to move your documents folder to your second hard drive
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > captorable wrote: »
    >
    > hey yall! i hope its okay to post this question here since i cant start my own thread, apparantly! nor post links! but i, like many people, am looking for a good laptop to play ts4 on (as well as some games w lower specs, but as most of them either already run fine on my current non-gaming laptop, or are lower priority for me, that shouldn't be an issue.
    >
    > anyways, i saw a laptop on sale that's called the ACER Nitro 5 AN515-51-5048. theres a pretty good sale on it in my country right now, and while i dont need to run ts4 on ultra settings or anything, ill settle for high-ish setting without too much lag. my current laptop (HP Pavilion 15-d056nd G7E93EA) isnt cutting it anymore, and i know i want a gaming laptop as i need the portability. i was just wondering if any of yall know if these specs would be decent enough, and if you knew what settings it could run!
    >
    > sorry if this is the wrong place to post and ty in advance!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It meets recommended requirements to run the game. It does come with two hard drives. They put a very small ssd on c drive for booting windows quicker but you can't game on it. You would have to custom install the game on the second 1tb hard drive.
    >
    > @rosemow can give you instructions on how to custom install the game to another drive and how to move your documents folder to your second hard drive

thanks for your comment! so beyond having to install it in a more involved way would it then play like anything else would? is it a one time thing? would i need to do that with any game i'd play on it?
    and if you dont mind me asking, do you know what graphic settings it would probably run at, and if it has a decent chance at being able to handle the game w future expansions in mind?

sorry if im asking too many questions btw - i just want to make sure im informed before such a big purchase, and im not sure where else to ask!
  • Options
    (looks like i messed up the quoting, sorry if it looks messy)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello @captorable
    To change where the sims 4 game is installed , log into Origin, go to Application settings, and the setting will be under "Installs and Saves " You can make a new folder on the second drive and set the game to be installed there.
    TNh2gPN.jpg

This video explains how to move your documents folder.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw
  • Options
    captorable wrote: »

The laptop meets recommended requirements so it should survive all the games future add ons. I can only tell you if a computer meets requirements but not how it will run the game. The game does have bugs we have no control over. You should be able to play on ultra with those specs. You can ask user @DeKay since they play on laptop and can help you set up the game.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 thank you so much! thats all i needed to know - i understand the game has bugs that are not necessarily dependent on what youre playing on, and that things like an old or big save, amongst many things, can affect how the game runs. but those are things that can occur no matter what im playing on, they arent really preventable - i just wanted to know if the laptop would be a good fit specs-wise! thats about all i can do to make the game run well on my end.

i really appreciate the help/feedback, and ill definitely ask the person you linked once i actually get it and need to get the game set up!
  • Options
    @captorable your very welcome
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi!

My laptop broke yesterday, so I'm looking for a new one. In all these recommendations I see people talking about Nvidea graphic cards in their recommended specs. Is it really important for me to only consider laptops with an Nvidea graphics card if I want to play TS4 with expansions? Or what would be the equivalent for a good Intel/AMD one? I've always bought laptops around €500 to €600, but I guess I'm going to have to consider spending a lot more this time around. I do specifically want a laptop and not a desktop. My current laptop is an Acer Aspire with i5 processor, Nvidea GT 730m 4gb, ram 6gb. It was able to run TS4 and most packs, but with quite some lag lately. I do feel a bit silly spending spending 1k on a laptop just for The Sims, when any other uses of my laptop don't require those kind of specs (and I have always played the Sims but there have also been long periods of time where I didn't play at all). Any suggestions?

Edit: right now I'm looking at an Acer Aspire R25 E5-576G-549U which seems to be a good price here for its specs.
    Post edited by dopaminedroid on
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options
    pinkelizpinkeliz Posts: 16 New Member
    Is it better to have a laptop or a PC for Sims 4? For either one of them, I looking for a computer or laptop that meets the requirements for cc, mods, and the packs and that the price is under $700.
  • Options
    Hi!

My laptop broke yesterday, so I'm looking for a new one. In all these recommendations I see people talking about Nvidea graphic cards in their recommended specs. Is it really important for me to only consider laptops with an Nvidea graphics card if I want to play TS4 with expansions? Or what would be the equivalent for a good Intel/AMD one? I've always bought laptops around €500 to €600, but I guess I'm going to have to consider spending a lot more this time around. I do specifically want a laptop and not a desktop. My current laptop is an Acer Aspire with i5 processor, Nvidea GT 730m 4gb, ram 6gb. It was able to run TS4 and most packs, but with quite some lag lately. I do feel a bit silly spending spending 1k on a laptop just for The Sims, when any other uses of my laptop don't require those kind of specs (and I have always played the Sims but there have also been long periods of time where I didn't play at all). Any suggestions?

Edit: right now I'm looking at an Acer Aspire R25 E5-576G-549U which seems to be a good price here for its specs.

I'm not finding this specific model Acer laptop that you posted. Can you please post a direct link to the laptop your looking at. Thanks

The GT 730m with a dual core i5 processor is below requirements and probably why you are having issues. The more you add to the game , the more demanding the game becomes. You need a laptop that meets recommended requirements if you want to survive all current and future add ons to this game
  • Options
    pinkeliz wrote: »
    Is it better to have a laptop or a PC for Sims 4? For either one of them, I looking for a computer or laptop that meets the requirements for cc, mods, and the packs and that the price is under $700.

Desktop is always better. laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. Laptops can not be upgraded when it comes to video card and processor. Your stuck with the specs you buy. Some desktops can be upgraded. Is your dollar amount USD , CAD or AUD ? The current going rate for a desktop is around $800 USD which includes monitor and keyboard. Monitor would be separate. You might already have one since I know I helped you with your current desktop.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Hi!

I'm not finding this specific model Acer laptop that you posted. Can you please post a direct link to the laptop your looking at. Thanks

The GT 730m with a dual core i5 processor is below requirements and probably why you are having issues. The more you add to the game , the more demanding the game becomes. You need a laptop that meets recommended requirements if you want to survive all current and future add ons to this game

I can also only seem to find that specific configuration of the Acer Aspire on the website of a Belgian store.

https://krefel.be/nl/p/41002854-aspire-e-15-e5-576g-549u-obsidian-black

I'll summarize to make it easier.
    Processor: Intel i5 7200U (dual core, 2.5ghz - 3.1 GHz Turbo, with 3mb cache).
    RAM: 8GB (DDR3, 1600mhz)
    Graphics card: Nvidea GeForce 940mx, dedicated 2gb gddr5
    Storage: 128 gb ssd + 1T hdd

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi!

I can also only seem to find that specific configuration of the Acer Aspire on the website of a Belgian store.

https://krefel.be/nl/p/41002854-aspire-e-15-e5-576g-549u-obsidian-black

I'll summarize to make it easier.
    Processor: Intel i5 7200U (dual core, 2.5ghz - 3.1 GHz Turbo, with 3mb cache).
    RAM: 8GB (DDR3, 1600mhz)
    Graphics card: Nvidea GeForce 940mx, dedicated 2gb gddr5
    Storage: 128 gb ssd + 1T hdd

Thanks!

This game requires an i5 quad core on desktop so you need a more powerful processor on laptop. The 940mx is not much better than the 730m card. We have seen several people have issues with the 940mx. The game is not complete and if you wish to keep adding to the game the laptop should equal the recommended requirements on desktop if you want to survive all the add ons. If you buy a laptop that is under recommended requirements you may not survive all the add ons and have to buy a new computer again to continue since you can't upgrade laptop processor and video card.

If you must have laptop look for specs below.

Video card Nvidia GTX 960m, 970m , 1050, 1050 ti, 1060

Processor intel i5 or i7 quad core. These processors series will end HQ and MQ . You don't want a "U" dual core processor

8 gb computer ram

at least 500 gb hard drive space or more

windows 64 bit
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

Thanks for the reply.
    I'll have to look further then for a more expensive laptop.
  • Options
    pinkelizpinkeliz Posts: 16 New Member
    [quote="phoebebebe13;c-16302895"][quote="pinkeliz;c-16302810"]Is it better to have a laptop or a PC for Sims 4? For either one of them, I looking for a computer or laptop that meets the requirements for cc, mods, and the packs and that the price is under $700.[/quote]

Desktop is always better. laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. Laptops can not be upgraded when it comes to video card and processor. Your stuck with the specs you buy. Some desktops can be upgraded. Is your dollar amount USD , CAD or AUD ? The current going rate for a desktop is around $800 USD which includes monitor and keyboard. Monitor would be separate. You might already have one since I know I helped you with your current desktop. [/quote]

My dollar amount is USD. Do you have any recommendations of desktops that have these requirements for Sims 4?
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

And how about Intel graphic cards?
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @phoebebebe13

And how about Intel graphic cards?

They are not recommend or properly supported... stay well clear of anything with integrated intel graphics.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    It seems 8th gen processors with the U suffix do have 4 cores for laptops. Will those work then?
  • Options
    It seems 8th gen processors with the U suffix do have 4 cores for laptops. Will those work then?

This game requires desktop hardware. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware. You can not compare laptop hardware to desktop hardware unless you have a higher end gaming laptop. I posted the specs above you will need in a laptop in order to meet the games recommended requirements so you don't fall behind with all the games present and future add ons. This game is processor heavy and I stated above not to get a "U" laptop processor . All your hardware inside the laptop needs to meet requirements. processor, video card, amount of ram and hard drive space all count when running this game

• Options
    DaissyDDaissyD Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello everyone! :)

I currently play sims 4 on my PC, but I study in a different country and I travel a lot. I want to invest in a good laptop which would allow me to play the game with all expansion packs and custom content smoothly with no lags, but also be able to record it at the same time for videos.

Do you have any recommendations?

And do you think this one would be good - Gaming ASUS ROG GL553VE-FY022, Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ 3.80 GHz, Kaby Lake, 15.6", Full HD, 8GB, 1TB, DVD-RW, nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Endless OS, Black

Thank you all in advance :)