Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How d'you begin your game?

Comments

• Options
    CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    1. Make a sim
    2. Make that sim get a job and work for money to get a better house
    3. Get frustrated, give up and use money cheats :)

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    beeblegox wrote: »
    Without fail this is my process:

Step 1. Meticulously create a single new sim (a la mashing the randomize button until a half-way decent sim shows up)
    Step 2: Move into a pre-made house (I am a horrible builder)
    Step 3: Immediately get distracted by all of the truly *hideous* generated townies walking around my neighborhood.

I am not exaggerating when I say that CAS is 75% of my game.
    As skilled as I like to think I've become in CAS (I'm fooling no one but myself), some of the best sims I've ever "made" over the years started out with that randomize button mashing thing. Then many, many fine-tuning adjustments from there. :)

I can't even tell half the time when a townie or other kind of NPC is "vanilla pudding" (all or mostly all zero sliders beyond weight and fitness) just by looking at them in-game. Sometimes I suspect. But they still often look so varied to me that I have to bring them into CAS to see for sure. And, for those not averse to using mods, NRaas StoryProgression's Immigration and Advanced Genetics features tend to minimize that kind of thing. AwesomeMod has similar features, although they work differently.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I usually start a save with two sims. I play favourites over and over but mix them with different partners in different saves. As for the town, I totally annihilate all townies and populate towns with sims I have made, sims that have been born in older saves and heavily tweaked townies from different worlds. I like to watch the genetics in my active household and that of the town over several generations. I spend an awful lot of time in CAS because I dress and modify traits of sims born in my town. There's usually several birthdays each sim day and I make sure everyone is dressed well and in their favourite colours. After a few generations, when I get a popup that a child has aged to toddler, I immediately take them into CAS and try to guess which of my original townies the sim is descended from before aging them up for a sneak peek :p
  • Options
    @Mikezumi - Oh yes, those "sneak peeks" to check out the genetics are very important to me too. ;)

One of my favorite, actively being played sims just aged up to YA yesterday. He is very athletic, and has several workout outfits. Usually the game gives me something at least reasonable to work with when it re-rolls outfits but this time his main (1st) athletic outfit was a three piece suit that looked like something from the very early 1900s. He actually did look great in it (not sure where he would wear it), but not quite for working out. His re-rolled swimwear was almost as ridiculous. Should have taken screenshots I guess, but was too busy laughing and rushing to fix it all. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @igazor Although I have been playing since the game came out, I have only very recently been installing new EPs and worlds. In my current save about 80% of the males have been getting this as their athletic outfit! :o
    24366793797_ea7bd9f4b9_o.jpg
  • Options
    wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @igazor Although I have been playing since the game came out, I have only very recently been installing new EPs and worlds. In my current save about 80% of the males have been getting this as their athletic outfit! :o

@Mikezumi At least they aren't getting girls' hair anymore. >:)

I generally start with a single sim (occasionally multiple sims) and have them work their way up from the bottom. I don't use money cheats, unless money isn't relevant in the context on that particular game.
    If it's an EA world, I generally leave the residents, but I sometimes do some tweaking.
    I have some unpopulated custom worlds that I populate them with some favorite families from EA worlds as well as households from my Library.
  • Options
    SophiaaaaSophiaaaa Posts: 5 New Member
    I am really bad at playing the sims and I get tired of gameplay after an hour and end up making a new family every time. Oops. Next time I have a chance to play the sims though I am going to make a single person and make them get married and than have kids and make them last a couple generations and not use cheats. I also am not going to control the toddlers because that makes the game much harder and more fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Sophiaaaa wrote: »
    I am really bad at playing the sims and I get tired of gameplay after an hour and end up making a new family every time. Oops. Next time I have a chance to play the sims though I am going to make a single person and make them get married and than have kids and make them last a couple generations and not use cheats. I also am not going to control the toddlers because that makes the game much harder and more fun.
    My toddlers usually play with their toys, watch TV, go to the potty once they have been toilet trained, etc. on their own and have to wait for someone to feed them and put them to bed when needed. Not sure how leaving them uncontrolled would change much, except they wouldn't be likely to read the toddler skill books on their own that I may want them to. Perhaps you are playing TS4 where toddlers have more of range of actions open to them?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Sunfisher0Sunfisher0 Posts: 211 Member
    1. Choose a starting town
    2. Create 1 Sim by randomizing and improvising. Give that Sim one "bad" trait to shake things up.
    3. Purchase an unfurnished starter home (to furnish as time passes!)
    4. Import all my mod tunings, then NRaas Master Controller TOTAL ANNIHILATION every townie and homeless living in the town (most of the time)
    5. Use NRaas Story Progression rapid immigration to repopulate the town with new townies: usually between 5-10 families to start, then immigration remains open indefinitely. Edit the new immigrants and their families if necessary.
    6. Enjoy a stress-free, no pudding-face, peaceful game with new Sims each time. Have 10 kids! Stalk the neighbours! Makeovers when everyone ages up! Micromanage! etc.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I always play with families. Start with a single sim then find a partner fell in love, until I formed a legacy. I always find Sunset Valley to be the best world for Family Play. I loved the world and I had a nostalgic feeling when playing it. Sometimes I add pets to my household. Mostly I buy
    pre-made homes, but if I had so many rl time I will build one.
  • Options
    BabyBlueHairbowBabyBlueHairbow Posts: 9 New Member
    I just started a new game today! but usually I make either a single sim and attempt to find them a partner or make a married couple. But back in 2009-ish I made lots of families consisting of a single mom and her daughter.. for whatever reason.
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I went back to Sunset Valley where I am playing the Goth family. Couple of generations in the house now. Belle and Mortimer got together and had 4 children. 1 boy and 3 girls. They are both elders. I am doing a Victorian style challenge. In the house, I have their son with his wife and they have had 2 children. 1 boy and 1 girl. I have two teens as well in the house as well. I love my household so much!
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Money-wise, it makes more sense to me to create a single sim. Two single sims get lots more money than a couple. ;)
  • Options
    Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
    edited December 2017
    Step 1: Spend 10 minutes deciding on which character from my story to base the save on
    Step 2: Go to CAS, make one Sim, then spend a further 5 minutes redeciding which character.
    Step 3: Spend 30-60 minutes in CAS creating Sims (Depending on the character it could be between 3 to 6 Sims I create)
    Step 4: Select 1 of 2 starter homes
    Step 5: Move all Sims away from the site
    Step 6: Enable cheats, get llama, get money
    Step 7: Destroy existing house, build new one that looks so out of place
    Step 8: Ruin my Sims' lives :D
    Post edited by Minx11 on
  • Options
    blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    I usually let my sims meet their love interest later on. I'm a task master when it comes to skills and things and I don't let them marry and reproduce, until I'm satisfied with their accomplishments. :)
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Sometimes I start with a single sim, but move in a starter girlfriend/boyfriend into the house next door at the same time. Or I'll make a couple with one teenager, then move them into a house and get jobs for the parents. After that I pretty much just ignore the parents and concentrate on the teen. I usually get 5 or 6 generations into a family before I get tired of them, or something happens to the save.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, I ended up reformatting my PC and reinstalling all my programs again anyway. But when I got to the Sims, I only installed the base game, one EP (Ambitions), one SP (Fast Lane) and almost all of my store stuff. I started with a single sim living in Moonlight Hollow, got married, had children, etc. I usually pick one or two traits, but let the rest roll randomly. Unless I get Insane, or a couple of other ones I just can't stand. Once per generation, I add in a new EP and/or SP, and every couple of generations I move them to another town. If you pack up all the gravestones, the base family tree stays intact, but any cousins, nieces, nephews, etc in the old town get left behind.

A while ago, I used a laptop I have that can barely play Sims 3, and installed just the base game. Then I would use that to load up store worlds, and a specific set of store content, to "improve" the store worlds. Add in venues, build themed houses, etc. Then I saved those into another folder, and use them as a starting point in a new game. I also move my simself into a house somewhere in the world. I've got a lot of stock characters I use too, based on TV show or comic book characters. Josie and the Pussycats, The Addams Family, Archie, Betty & Veronica, Johnny Test Family, Kim Possible Family, etc.
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    bklienhart wrote: »
    Sometimes I start with a single sim, but move in a starter girlfriend/boyfriend into the house next door at the same time. Or I'll make a couple with one teenager, then move them into a house and get jobs for the parents. After that I pretty much just ignore the parents and concentrate on the teen. I usually get 5 or 6 generations into a family before I get tired of them, or something happens to the save.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, I ended up reformatting my PC and reinstalling all my programs again anyway. But when I got to the Sims, I only installed the base game, one EP (Ambitions), one SP (Fast Lane) and almost all of my store stuff. I started with a single sim living in Moonlight Hollow, got married, had children, etc. I usually pick one or two traits, but let the rest roll randomly. Unless I get Insane, or a couple of other ones I just can't stand. Once per generation, I add in a new EP and/or SP, and every couple of generations I move them to another town. If you pack up all the gravestones, the base family tree stays intact, but any cousins, nieces, nephews, etc in the old town get left behind.

A while ago, I used a laptop I have that can barely play Sims 3, and installed just the base game. Then I would use that to load up store worlds, and a specific set of store content, to "improve" the store worlds. Add in venues, build themed houses, etc. Then I saved those into another folder, and use them as a starting point in a new game. I also move my simself into a house somewhere in the world. I've got a lot of stock characters I use too, based on TV show or comic book characters. Josie and the Pussycats, The Addams Family, Archie, Betty & Veronica, Johnny Test Family, Kim Possible Family, etc.

Do you like the tv show?
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    PatienceTheVirtuePatienceTheVirtue Posts: 67 Member
    I'm similar I make Sims based off tv shows, movies, games or someone in my real life. I have to make atleast half a town with custom made homes for each of those households THEN I can play. I also use NRaas Story Progression so they are all pretty looking and I household swap invest in all the sims.
    OYENqGg.png
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Oh...and in my Mushroom Cloud Chronicles... Well...the meaty part of the story is just starting...right after the KABOOM... :D

SunsetValleyNuked.jpg

114edf91ad3a57508ec8662c86091bce309ee231d006349309d35fe4cf8136c9.jpg

Look Mommy, I've graduated from det-packs. :D:mrgreen:

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    i love starting from scratch. my sim is in a tiny apartment or tiny house, single, broke. they get a job, go on dates to meet the right one
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    114edf91ad3a57508ec8662c86091bce309ee231d006349309d35fe4cf8136c9.jpg

Sometimes I have to wonder if I'm actually playing the same game that the rest of you are...

More to the point though, how much CC does one need in order to make a Marvin the Martian sim and what should his traits be? :D
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor, but ah...it's just the AdobePSE14 Sims 3 Mod. ;D Y'know... the one that costs $149.99. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    As for Marvin the Martian; No Sense of Humor, Ambitious, Mean-Spirited, Genius (or Insane (considering how often he gets blown up by Bugs), Hot-Headed or Dramatic?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited January 2018
    In the past I made sims to represent my real life family and I would create my extended family and put them in nearby houses.

In early 2017 I started with a new style. I created a friends household (in a way quite similar to that very nice tv show called friends). Each sim is usually diverse and have differing traits. I put my own sim in the bunch. I always start off with a starter home that they can afford. It usually is way to small for them to live in, but I make it work. I will get them all jobs, while one or two may get a freelancing job such as writing. They eventually build wealth and I move them into nicer houses. I love to build houses, so that is a good portion of my gameplay.

My current house has 8 sims with 4 of them being the same sim replicated. She is one of the premade sims from the bin and she has been a point of entertainment for me and my brother. She has the evil and hot headed traits (yikes). Right now those 4 keep fighting with eachother and at this point I gave up stopping them and I am just going to let them fight. With them being evil, they start off scareing eachother and as they go on, it spirals out of control.
  • Options
    hellbunny123hellbunny123 Posts: 52 Member
    Recently I've just been building on lots with no families... I'm more into the creation of rooms, but usually I'll create a family (married, usually with at least one kid) and then I'll get them to have a baby as I think it's very exciting when your sim is expecting! 90% of the time I'll create their house from scratch. I do love downloading rooms from fellow simmers and using them in my houses though. Gotta love The Sims gallery!