Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular opinions about ts4

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But The Sims isn’t a builder’s game. Which doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with doing just that, but if they’d cut out all the gameplay except for building (which I also consider gameplay by the way), would it still be a Sims game? Sims is playing with little people. Delivering the game with just amazing CAS wouldn’t make a Sims game either. There are thousands of dressing games for that and that is not Sims. Again, that doesn’t mean you can’t use the game for just that (I know people do and more power to them), but when you make a ‘dressing up characters’ thing out of it, it stops being Sims. Sims needs more. Other gameplay. For people who love doing other things with the game than building houses and creating Sims. To me this unpopular opinion sounds like: we don’t need a proper Sims game anymore, with gameplay for all kind of playing styles. And for simulating lives.
    Sims was originally going to be a build only game but Will Wright wanted to add Sims to it.
    "Will, who studied architecture in college, originally conceived of the game as an architectural design simulator. To "score" the quality of the design, he added tiny people who would inhabit the buildings. These simulated people quickly stole the spotlight, and Will realized that watching the lives of the Sims unfold was the real entertainment. Again, his instincts were right.
    The build only game was the SimCity games. But Will Wright correctly wanted a sidegame which focused more on the people who lived in the houses. He considered the name “Dollhouse” for such a sidegame. But EA wouldn’t accept it and the name instead became the Sims.
    Released in 2000, The Sims was the best-selling PC game of of 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, until it was dethroned by its own sequel The Sims 2, which quickly established itself as the best selling PC game of 2004. "
    Yes. But the Sims 2 never sold more than a little over half of the sales numbers for TS1. The reason likely was that a lot of simmers just refused to switch to TS2. I started in the Sims 2 forum and I still remember how angry half of the forum were because EA had released TS2 instead of releasing more EPs for TS1. Those people graduately disappeared from the Sims 2 forum in the next months. But many of them just continued with TS1 and never bought TS2.

I suggest you watch 'History of The Sims' on YouTube. The original concept was focused on building and was an architecture simulator.
    There are a couple of videos by that name and they are apparently just made by some simmer who wanted to advertise for the Sims games. So they start with ugly videos from TS1 and continue by just showing how the game became more beautiful for each version. I hate advertising videos. So I won’t see them ;)

Still it doesn’t tell me anything that there are younger simmers who have given a more glamorous interpretation by claiming that TS1 had nothing with SimCity to do and who love the newer versions of the game just because they look more beautiful than the original game even with the dumped down and way too easy gameplay.

The problem with simmers who refused to move on to the next game has been there every time because so many simmers loved their game and hated the idea of switching to a new version where they would have to buy everything again. But it was especially a huge problem with the Sims 1 lovers because they weren’t used to the idea of getting a new basegame every 5 yrs.

This is the video I'm talking about and I wouldn't call it advertising. It's actually really interesting and you may learn a thing or two about the franchise:

https://youtu.be/E7HwKKyUecs

@Erpe - where did I say anything about younger Simmers or about people who love a specific iteration? You've gotta lay off what Drake said about the target demographic. We know you know the target demographic. I was simply stating the Sims started out as an architecture simulator, which is talked about in the video above.
    I don’t have the patience to watch such a long video - and who is the simmer who made it?

The Sims started out after the following games
    SimCity (1989)
    SimCity 2000 (1993)
    SimCity 3000 (1999)

So Will Wright thought that it maybe would be just as fun to make a game that wasn’t just about the houses but also about the people who lived in the houses. He was also inspired by his young daughter who of course wasn’t interested in the houses and the mayor’s way of managing the city. But later when the Sims had been so surprisingly successful a lot of people began to rationalize after the fact and invented other explanations. I could probably document that too because I know that I have read it years ago. But I am not really interested in this old story about TS1. What interests me much more is the future and Will Wright isn’t important anymore after he left the Sims games about 10 yrs ago. What interests me much more is therefore EA’s plans for the future.

Why are you making assumptions about a video that you don't have the patience to watch? Who said anything about Sims 1? It's a history of the franchise. If you're more interesting in the future of the franchise, this probably isn't the topic for you since it's about unpopular opinions about TS4. I was merely giving information about how the game started out as an architecture simulator in answer to a response by @JoAnne65 about building.
    My problem with videos that mainly just wants to show me stuff from all the different Sims games is that I am not interested in stuff. Therefore they are too boring for me to watch (unless they are extremely short).

Again, you're not listening - that's not what the video is about. If you don't want to watch being you get bored easily, that's perfectly fine, but don't make assumptions about the video if you haven't watched it.
    Okay. But it will have to wait until tomorrow because I need my iPad for other things. But maybe I can let it run on my TV while I use my iPad for updating some games.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    But The Sims isn’t a builder’s game. Which doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with doing just that, but if they’d cut out all the gameplay except for building (which I also consider gameplay by the way), would it still be a Sims game? Sims is playing with little people. Delivering the game with just amazing CAS wouldn’t make a Sims game either. There are thousands of dressing games for that and that is not Sims. Again, that doesn’t mean you can’t use the game for just that (I know people do and more power to them), but when you make a ‘dressing up characters’ thing out of it, it stops being Sims. Sims needs more. Other gameplay. For people who love doing other things with the game than building houses and creating Sims. To me this unpopular opinion sounds like: we don’t need a proper Sims game anymore, with gameplay for all kind of playing styles. And for simulating lives.
    Sims was originally going to be a build only game but Will Wright wanted to add Sims to it.
    "Will, who studied architecture in college, originally conceived of the game as an architectural design simulator. To "score" the quality of the design, he added tiny people who would inhabit the buildings. These simulated people quickly stole the spotlight, and Will realized that watching the lives of the Sims unfold was the real entertainment. Again, his instincts were right.
    The build only game was the SimCity games. But Will Wright correctly wanted a sidegame which focused more on the people who lived in the houses. He considered the name “Dollhouse” for such a sidegame. But EA wouldn’t accept it and the name instead became the Sims.
    Released in 2000, The Sims was the best-selling PC game of of 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, until it was dethroned by its own sequel The Sims 2, which quickly established itself as the best selling PC game of 2004. "
    Yes. But the Sims 2 never sold more than a little over half of the sales numbers for TS1. The reason likely was that a lot of simmers just refused to switch to TS2. I started in the Sims 2 forum and I still remember how angry half of the forum were because EA had released TS2 instead of releasing more EPs for TS1. Those people graduately disappeared from the Sims 2 forum in the next months. But many of them just continued with TS1 and never bought TS2.

I suggest you watch 'History of The Sims' on YouTube. The original concept was focused on building and was an architecture simulator.
    There are a couple of videos by that name and they are apparently just made by some simmer who wanted to advertise for the Sims games. So they start with ugly videos from TS1 and continue by just showing how the game became more beautiful for each version. I hate advertising videos. So I won’t see them ;)

Still it doesn’t tell me anything that there are younger simmers who have given a more glamorous interpretation by claiming that TS1 had nothing with SimCity to do and who love the newer versions of the game just because they look more beautiful than the original game even with the dumped down and way too easy gameplay.

The problem with simmers who refused to move on to the next game has been there every time because so many simmers loved their game and hated the idea of switching to a new version where they would have to buy everything again. But it was especially a huge problem with the Sims 1 lovers because they weren’t used to the idea of getting a new basegame every 5 yrs.
    That analysis shows you indeed didn’t see it. It’s a very respectful video and not at all advertising.
    No, I saw the beginning of another video with the same title. It just showed the graphics from all the Sims games and the idea was to compare it to be impressed by the better and better graphics in the different games and the huge progress in the “History of the Sims”.
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited December 2017

That analysis shows you indeed didn’t see it. It’s a very respectful video and not at all advertising.
    No, I saw the beginning of another video with the same title. It just showed the graphics from all the Sims games and the idea was to compare it to be impressed by the better and better graphics in the different games and the huge progress in the “History of the Sims”.

That is so not what happens in “History of the Sims”. Smh. How can you conclude these things about a video you haven't seen?! I don't care if you do or don't watch it, but don't make assumptions on something you haven't actually seen.
    Post edited by SimmerNickYT on
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    NickSims wrote: »

That is so not what happens in “History of the Sims”. Smh. How can you conclude these things about a video you haven't seen?! I don't care if you do or don't watch it, but don't make assumptions on something you haven't actually seen.

Give him a break. He already admitted he watched the wrong video.
  • Options

Give him a break. He already admitted he watched the wrong video.

Yeah okay. I shouldn't get involved. But still, someone linked the actual video in this thread.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Oh, wauw, graphics improved in 15 years? Some eyeopener lol.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    player2player2 Posts: 50 Member
    How do people feel about no more global world in ts4 instead of like in 3? This is something I'm really not sure I like but want to know what other people think.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    player2 wrote: »
    How do people feel about no more global world in ts4 instead of like in 3? This is something I'm really not sure I like but want to know what other people think.

Many don't like that we don't have open world in TS4.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

That didn’t bother me. I went to 4 from 2. Only thing that did bother me was the inability to edit my neighbourhoods.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    @NickSims me I do not mind even if I would love to have open worlds back honestly since playing the sims2 that was not an open world I do not mind at all
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    @NickSims me I do not mind even if I would love to have open worlds back honestly since playing the sims2 that was not an open world I do not mind at all

Good for you. I do kind of miss open world. I don't like that we can't control Sims that we leave at home. And I don't like the way that worlds are done in this iteration. The neighbourhoods seem so disconnected and they are too small.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

That didn’t bother me. I went to 4 from 2. Only thing that did bother me was the inability to edit my neighbourhoods.

Same. In TS2 AL, I can at least build houses that function as apartment units, those in a way allowing to visit your neighborhoods without a loading screen. TS4 can't even do that right.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Same. In TS2 AL, I can at least build houses that function as apartment units, those in a way allowing to visit your neighborhoods without a loading screen. TS4 can't even do that right.

Yeah. I really wish they’d built a proper engine. Pretty sure they knew they’d eventually add the things people wanted most. Why they built an engine that couldn’t implement it properly is beyond me.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

Yeah. I really wish they’d built a proper engine. Pretty sure they knew they’d eventually add the things people wanted most. Why they built an engine that couldn’t implement it properly is beyond me.

TBH they said they can they just din't want to bexause ut will brake our saves. The same thing happen upon installing apartment life either.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Many don't like that we don't have open world in TS4.
    I'm probably one of the few that doesn't share that popular opinion. I don't mind no open worlds, but I don't like seeing the return of the Sims 1 neighborhood system again and maybe less than that seeing as there are not even ponds or terrain tools still so makes the game feel even more like a 2D game. I really liked how the world was in the Sims 2, then again it did have a create a world system with the help of SimCity. I would like to at least be able to edit neighborhoods again at least like the Sims 2 by picking our own lot sizes and locations and if I don't want a rock or tree somewhere or want to put in a trash can or bench I can. Both 2 and 3 used an external program available to make worlds. I don't think there really is an ideal world system for the Sims franchise yet. I actually like the idea of mathematics generating worlds like what Minecraft and No Man's Sky games do with their formulas. Spore was probably the first Maxis game that started using procedural generation in their games. "Advantages of procedural generation include smaller file sizes, larger amounts of content, and randomness for less predictable gameplay."

This is pretty cool too although it is a bit blocky in appearance like Minecraft:
    https://www.buildaworld.net/

For me I like to control my own population and I never did care for story progression. But I can see how world creators want to be able to design their own worlds too. I guess in the end Simmers just want to rule their games again instead having the game mechanics rule it for them. Like bring the sandbox experience back again to the franchise so there isn't limits to stories, colors, building, settings, and restrictive goals. I think with the Sims 4 starting off with the Sims Olympus roots had an impact how on the world was going to be designed for the online experience. Makes sense since small worlds would probably cause less lag on servers but then again SimCity 2013 had small world design too and had major server lags. I think my experience interacting with the community for the first time with this iteration is I don't think a multiplier experience would be a safe for the community right now, so my unpopular opinion is I'm glad that the Sims Olympus never got made. I hope an attempt like that is never done again for the franchise for the PC market. It does work well with the mobile versions and more cost efficient for Maxis that way.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    TS1299 wrote: »

TBH they said they can they just din't want to bexause ut will brake our saves. The same thing happen upon installing apartment life either.

1. They said they can
    2. It will break the saves

Think about that for a good, hard, second.
    What does that mean? Really mean?

To me, that means a poorly designed and poorly thought out engine that can’t properly handle future content. Just my 2 cents. :/

They say hind-sight is 20-20. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. At least that part is hit and miss. Unfortunately, in this case, foresight was practically blind. It’s not like this is the first sims game ever made. They knew what the players expected by now and they knew they’d eventually have to add it. There are no excuses for this.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Unpopular, eh? I don't know if my opinions are unpopular or not, I just know they're my opinions. :joy:
    1. They should stop trying to be inclusive of people with low end computers and make a game based off what they and we players have in mind for content, not whether our computers will run it.

That is all I can think of... Don't know the popularity of them all, though.

They can't really do this.

Majority of Simmers run the game on Laptops according to the Guru's. The reason why The Sims 4 has a dedicated Laptop Mode is because of this.
    With The Sims 2, they released a Laptop friendly version of the game (Life Stories & Pet Stories) which says to me there was enough demand from Laptop players that they needed a separate game.

Simmers are casual gamers. If they can't play the new games, they will just play the old games.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Unpopular, eh? I don't know if my opinions are unpopular or not, I just know they're my opinions. :joy:
    1. They should stop trying to be inclusive of people with low end computers and make a game based off what they and we players have in mind for content, not whether our computers will run it.

That is all I can think of... Don't know the popularity of them all, though.

They can't really do this.

Majority of Simmers run the game on Laptops according to the Guru's. The reason why The Sims 4 has a dedicated Laptop Mode is because of this.
    With The Sims 2, they released a Laptop friendly version of the game (Life Stories & Pet Stories) which says to me there was enough demand from Laptop players that they needed a separate game.

Simmers are casual gamers. If they can't play the new games, they will just play the old games.

Weren't Life Stories and Pet Stories side games? If that's the case, they should make a side game for Simmers that want to run the game on lower end machines.

I don't understand why they wouldn't take advantage of technology and use a powerful engine. Simmers ask for features to be implemented and then when they're not done the way they expect and it's said because the engine/tech can't handle it, they're disappoint. Unfortunately it can't be both ways, do you want a jam packed game or do you want to play on a lower end computer?

I seriously thought that's why they made mobile games, side games, and console games.
  • Options
    Weird. I played S2 on a laptop through its entire lifespan. S3 can also be played on a laptop if you lower the settings. Kind of like laptop mode. Guess someone shoulda told me I couldn’t play the games on laptops. Otherwise, I never woulda known.

Poor excuse is poor.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I have played the latter 2/3rds of TS3's run on laptops and I continue to do so -- all EPs, all stuff packs, loads of CC and mods.

My computers have been gaming laptops, but laptops nonetheless. A large number of players on laptops doesn't necessarily mean that their laptops are the equivalent of a toaster. Nor does it mean that EA should purposely gimp the game.

From what I can tell, gaming laptops is an industry on the rise. EA should get with the program and try to keep up with what's out there. Laptops of today are much more capable than the laptops of the past.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Weird. I played S2 on a laptop through its entire lifespan. S3 can also be played on a laptop if you lower the settings. Kind of like laptop mode. Guess someone shoulda told me I couldn’t play the games on laptops. Otherwise, I never woulda known.

Poor excuse is poor.

I've been playing on laptops (can't tell you how many I've been through since I started playing in 2000) until February this year. I just always had to make sure they were powerful ones to run the game (when I started buying them myself - I killed two of my mom's at one point).

If I want to play a game, I'm going to invest in it and make sure I have the right equipment. Hobbies aren't cheap, it doesn't matter if you're casual about it or you're hardcore.
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »
    I have played the latter 2/3rds of TS3's run on laptops and I continue to do so -- all EPs, all stuff packs, loads of CC and mods.

My computers have been gaming laptops, but laptops nonetheless. A large number of players on laptops doesn't necessarily mean that their laptops are the equivalent of a toaster. Nor does it mean that EA should purposely gimp the game.

From what I can tell, gaming laptops is an industry on the rise. EA should get with the program and try to keep up with what's out there. Laptops of today are much more capable than the laptops of the past.

This ^^

I just think that people should save up or if they don't want to, there's mobile, console (although they're expensive too) or side games.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

This ^^

I just think that people should save up or if they don't want to, there's mobile, console (although they're expensive too) or side games.

Agreed.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    @AriCai is right and I went to add desktop pc or laptop pc technology changes everyday if you look at pc now and for 2018 desktop or pc you can have up to 32 gig of ram and now ram memory there a new memory system called intel optane and we are also heading into the 4k era when it comes to game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    RebelShadowKittenRebelShadowKitten Posts: 11 New Member
    > @agustd said:
    > My unpopular opinions are:
    >
    > 1. I don't get the appeal of seasons. I just don't. Weather is not my priority when it comes to immersion at all and I always found the seasonal gameplay in TS too scripted and repetitive. Snowflake Day? A cute idea until you've taken your sims there so many times it becomes annoying and you'd rather place an ice skating rink on your own lot than have your sims travel to the festival. I honestly hope seasons is NOT the next EP for TS4.
    >
    > 2. I do not want customizable height in future games. Waste of devs' time. We don't need it, at all.
    >
    > 3. ..Just like we don't need pre teens. The most ridiculous idea I've heard from the players in a while. Just no.
    >
    > 4. I do not miss CASt. I'm not against its return, but I personally just couldn't care less, honestly.
    >
    > 5. The mismatched color options for furniture and clothes in game don't bother me. It's not like in real life our outfits are perfectly matched and I actually like the quirky style of slightly mismatched furniture.
    >
    > 6. I don't think Vampires were that good. I'm glad to see people enjoy them but in my opinion they're extremely overhyped.

1. Because without Seasons, you have nothing but repetitive Sunlight EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'd like to be able to have Days where my Sims get a little behind on gardening due to the Weather not cooperating, thus forcing 'em to have a Day spent with family instead.

2. As a user of a customizable height mod...I'm gonna refrain from calling you a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for the sake of adding more diversity to one's game in getting to have Sims of different heights, "midgets and giants", etc. We can't all agree, but some of us would actually like to have things like that for the sake of challenges or just flat-out seeing the goofy messes our Sims get into from kissing their partner's throat instead of their lips since varying heights aren't currently supported.

3. Maybe we don't need pre-teens, but just because you don't want 'em for your game doesn't mean everybody does. I hadn't even thought of it, but now that that's been put in my head, I wouldn't mind 'em...if they showed more pubescent behavior beyond goofy mood swings that aren't very realistic. Yeah, we'd prolly have to have a mod for something like the girls having menstrual cycles, but whatever; I could live with that if pre-teens and teens both had more than mood swings that weren't even as realistic as a toddler's temper tantrum.

4. Personally, the lack of any customization beyond downloaded recolors in CAS and BB, not to mention the lack of the open Worlds and constant loading screens which, for me, take WAY MORE than a few seconds to get past, irritates the crap outta me. If I want my Sims to have hot-pink hair with lime-green stripes, I wanna do it myself, not wait on a CC creator to finally make a hair with that feature.

5. Not everybody likes matching styles, not everybody likes mismatched styles. Some of us are like me where we could care less if anything matched in Reality (most likely due to a lack of funds to change that), but want everything to match in their Sims' homes and wardrobes as a way of portraying THEMSELVES in the only way they can.

6. I considered getting the Vampires EP at one point. After everything I've heard and read about it, I'm glad I didn't bother wasting the money. C&D seems to be a big enough waste of money at this point, and I wouldn't want the regret of Vamps in my game, especially when they were the only supernatural race to be added, unlike when TS3: Supernatural came out.

And honestly, I could prolly come up with more arguments for various unpopular opinions; I just don't wanna since my hands are starting to hurt from all the cold Weather-typing.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top