Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do we hate on TS4?

1789101113...Next

Comments

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited December 2017
    aricarai wrote: »
    Okay, I'm still confused. No one said here has said they hated the game. Did I skip over a post or something? You can be critical and still like or tolerate a game. Some of us, even the people who love TS4 and find no flaws with it, have been around since previous games and like or love this franchise as a whole. And like others have said, if we hated this game we wouldn't be here. I don't think there's some great plot in theses forums to bring down The Sims 4, EA, and Maxis, although I do have some concerns from a few people who vehemently defend all three which I'll get to in a minute.

Some of the players that have "attacked" The Sims 4 are TS2 fans, some of us are fans of both, maybe one more than the other, but the thing is we feel TS4 could and should be better. Someone mentioned before how it's full of potential and possibilities and that took me right back the base game release when there were so many simmers around here saying how much potential there is in this game, and that yeah, it started off troubled but give it time. Some of those players have given up on it and it's rare when we ever see them around here, if they still do come here because TS4 has turned them off completely and they'd been playing since TS2 or TS1. And even though we may try to get into The Sims 4, most of us just go back to old faithful, whichever iteration that may be. It's not like what we prefer doesn't still exist, though we may have to go through some things to play them (finding the disc, dealing with Origin when we don't want to, etc.). Do some of us feel betrayed by EA? I think it's very well possible. Especially considering the lies, exclusions, and the lack of good maintenance on games now and in the past. I wouldn't call what I feel betrayal though. It's mostly disappointment. Disappointment, frustration, and confusion. And not just with EA, but with Maxis and The Sims 4.

I don't think badly of anyone who loves The Sims 4. I don't view them as wrong, having poor taste, or being traitors. I don't think that's quite what we "haters" and/or TS3 fans are getting at. EA and Maxis I'm still a bit questionable on but I wouldn't say bring out the torches and pitchforks and let's take this to the town square. I don't know if my fellow "haters" who also happen to be fans of The Sims 3 have had these same thoughts as well, but here's my thoughts on The Sims 4 fans. I think for some of you there is definitely room for improvement in this game and while you may get misconstrued as a hater sometimes or maybe even most of the time, you love this game and you just want it to be better. I think some of you really do love this game and think this is the best iteration of The Sims for your playstyle. I think there are some TS4 fans who have never experienced one, two, or all of the previous games before and they may or may not be curious about what the other ones brought to the table. And then I think there's some of you, and I really want to reiterate the word some not all, but some, that have simply just settled for this game and I'm going to explain why I think that.

I've read it from different TS4 fans so many times since launch, they want a game that works and this game works. I can't fault them for that, but where I feel like a portion of TS4 fans settled is choosing the ability to function properly over in-depth gameplay instead of choosing both. And it's sad because it shouldn't be either or, you should be able to have both but based on some of the comments I've read here and on other sites, it doesn't seem like some fans think we can have both. They leave this out, they take that away, they break features, they tell everyone this is why these things we want don't work or why we can't have it or they go radio silent and some TS4 fans call EA and Maxis out on it. Other TS4 fans believe it, defend it, and excuse it but they don't question it at all, not even when something happens down the road that seems to contradict what we were originally told. They just find an excuse for it and defend the team and I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before unless I count the fans of the previous games who were just being cheeky. How come sims can carry baby animals around freely but their own babies are still confined to bassinets? How come they decided to take away player's control to provide more believable and realistic pets experience and suddenly realism in TS4 matter when we can't control pets or anyone living with us in real life? It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that there were people who defended the decision for this game to launch without a lifestage with comments ranging from how they were ensuring the game ran smoothly and ran out of time to 'I don't like them anyway'.

I probably never would've thought this much about it if it weren't for comments from people who love and arduously defend TS4 saying things like how they had to 'adjust their usual playstyle' or 'find another way to play' in addition to their love of this game running perfectly on their systems, but if you have never actually experienced most gameplay because of some issue(s) or looked up what all you can do in what game, then how can you fairly compare content to say which one is truly better for you? I get it, the game runs well for you, at least for now, and doesn't crash but the fact that it works should not be what makes it great. 'It runs well' as long as you meet the specs is what should be a basic standard for any game, not what makes the game. So if we compared all 4 games content wise, as if no lag or crashes occurred for whatever reason, then which one is the better game for you? Not based on functionality, but gameplay, the way you personally play, your preferences. Some people can still honestly say it's TS4, I'm sure of that, but as sure as I am of that I'm also sure there'd be some TS4 fans who'd say TS3, TS2, even a few who'd say TS1and for some of us I think it's a combination of maybe all of them.

So here's what I'm getting at. If you would think one, two, three, or all four games have features that are more up your ally even if those feature need some or a whole lot of tweaking, then why not speak up and say what would make your experience better? That's what we "haters" are doing. Why does it seem like some people think that we can't have a well functioning game and great features? In the case of some of the players having game breaking issues in the past and now, it was not and is not their fault they had the issues they had that made the game(s) unplayable for them. They shouldn't have to use mods to be able to play a game the way the creators intended, EA and Maxis should fix the game. Why are so many of us still not demanding that EA and Maxis fix their provided content?

This embodies so much of what I think it's scary. There seems to be this culture of 'either or' or this thought process of 'well x iteration was a buggy laggy mess so I like this new one because I can play it on a lower spec computer' and I don't get it. We are paying for an AAA game, shouldn't we be asking for excellence instead of accepting less features/gameplay because...reasons?

Exactly. When I had to use an old laptop at one point to play TS3 and I started experiencing freezing and lagging after a while I knew that was my fault trying to play every pack up to Uni on that thing. I was taking a chance with any pack past Ambitions, but I really wanted to play so I took my chances.

Now the things that weren't my fault like the broken adventure board, professional sports sims never winning in the school/stadium buildings, the routing issues should've been fixed. We should demand they fix what they broke or never had working right in the first place, but to want to hinder everyone else's gaming experience because I want to play too and my laptop or computer specs were below what was required never crossed my mind. The game should be the best it can possibly be, regardless of whether my computer has the right specs.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    While we appreciate the feedback in here, based on the volume of reports generated from this thread, I think it's time to close it now.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top