Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plum?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The American Criminal Investigations Department I think. In some ways I can see why that would be filtered on the forums and if so I would apologise to the mods for suggesting it but as far as a Sim goes the name is harmless as Cid could also be Sid or Sydney which of course is a male name and the name of a great Australian City although I think that you said that you are from Melbourne so I might have to keep that part quiet :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Mikezumi That might be why then
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited November 2017
    Movotti wrote: »

A fanny is the female crotch region.
    A bum is a backside. I sit on my bum.

Fanny pack is a term that makes people from most English speaking countries cringe. Even most Europeans find it to be a really disturbing term. Fanny alone is bad enough, but adding pack to it turns it into something really filthy.

Oh gosh yes. That is a swear word here in Scotland :lol: Its pretty vulgar to most ears here :lol:

It seems us Brits can get away with swearing on here :lol:

In all seriousness, it seems very American biased. I'm from the UK and can only use this forum (there is no UK in the drop down menu at the top? or am I missing it?) So I guess we can all lump in here and swear the good ol' British way.

Not complaining, just bloody pointing it out.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited November 2017
    dingdong ditch is a kids door bell prank and it gets plum or a least it use to guess it was fixed
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017

Fanny pack is a term that makes people from most English speaking countries cringe. Even most Europeans find it to be a really disturbing term. Fanny alone is bad enough, but adding pack to it turns it into something really filthy.

Oh gosh yes. That is a swear word here in Scotland :lol: Its pretty vulgar to most ears here :lol:

There is a word that is frequently used in the UK that in the USA is a nasty word for the female crotch region. I guess it goes both ways ;)
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member

There is a word that is frequently used in the UK that in the USA is a nasty word for the female crotch region. I guess it goes both ways ;)

Now I am curious xD
    giphy.gif
  • Options

Now I am curious xD

I'll PM you . I wont post it in the forum That word will probably get plummed quickly
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @EA_Mage Thanks for looking in on this.
    The filter is somewhat of a frustration for many. Certainly it makes sense for a handful of particularly bad words, but many others have dual meanings. Quite often neither meaning is particularly bad.

The one I have had issue with is thongs.
    They're traditionally worn with stubbies here in australia. And they're worn on your feet. A whale tail tan is something you get on your feet, from wearing thongs.

Meanwhile, the term flip flop is used in certain types of movies for grown ups.

The confusion between footwear and underwear has lead to a lot of hilarity when people from one of our countries visit the other. When the kids are getting ready to go to the beach/pool and mum says, "don't forget your thongs!"
    I swear we don't do it to intentionally freak out americans! It is what we call them, I have about 6 pairs under my bed.

510.jpg?width=300&height=300&nostretch&etag=%22a5289e842c4664cb0e76ca3469a641aa%22
    Thongs. They go on your feet.

Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm offended by the words that are considered to be offensive!

Seriously, I can't even name traditional australian footwear, because apparently it's a type of bum floss in the us, and somehow, it's a bloody swear word. :/

Edit: it's hilarious, the number of words that I can use, that aren't filtered, while innocent ones are.
    But you should try the aussie forum. We laugh at the filter there. Apparently spicy pizza is as naughty as it gets. (seriously, it gets turned to plum plum, no one knows why,broken filter, maybe)

Also, never really go the term "cuss", as far as I can tell, it's a miss spelling of curse, which is kind of odd. To swear is to make an oath, while a curse is... well, a pox on both your houses! I guess you'd call that an ill wish.

It does make me question our use of bloody oath and stone the flamin' crows. And were do gods teeth fit into all this? What about Odin's Beard? By Odin's beard, I will stone the flamin' crows! Imagine Thor saying it.

Yeah, don't look at me, I don't get plum.

It's funny 'bloody' isn't censored since bloody is a swear word, too. I get aggravated when the site changes my words to plum which aren't even swear words but some unrelated meaning in some far off country that doesn't even allow The Sims, then makes me look like I actually used a nasty word or something. The filter should be smarter and determine how a word is used not if it means something somewhere far away who never even heard of this game or the internet.

Bloody isn't a swear word, it's a useful adjective! Or something like that... blame the Vicar of Dibley :p

It seems us Brits can get away with swearing on here :lol:

In all seriousness, it seems very American biased. I'm from the UK and can only use this forum (there is no UK in the drop down menu at the top? or am I missing it?) So I guess we can all lump in here and swear the good ol' British way.

Not complaining, just bloody pointing it out.

Us Aussies share a lot of swear words with you Brits. We share quite a bit of vernacular that americans don't quite seem to get. I put it down to cricket. Even the cricketing countries who speak other languages, still seem to understand a lot of the terms we both use.
    And kiwis are basically aussies... they're just our backward cousins :p
    Kind of like the welsh to the english, right down to the sheep jokes.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    You may now talk about Australian flip flops again with out being plumed.

Just as a note to everyone, we are well aware that some of these words have double meanings and the moment we see these or any other words systematically misused or used as an insult it will go back in the filter.

I encourage everyone to make use of the Report function if you see something that you feel does not belong on the forums. Let us keep in mind that the forums are open to everyone and we should watch the way we speak!

In an ideal world we would all behave and there would be no need for a filter :)

-Mage
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    Oh, thank the Watcher! I can finally say my favourite EA-made Sim's name without it getting censored! That makes me so happy!

As a Canadian, who uses bits and pieces of both British and American English, I do notice that the filters are tuned to US 'swears'; words that are completely innocent everywhere else but, for some reason, our Southern neighbours have decided that they are curse words.

Ever since I accidentally stumbled upon the mother of all words in the dictionary while doing homework back in the 5th grade, I've wondered why people consider these words bad "because they're just words". But alas, as Mage says, there are always people who will misuse words to hurt others.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Simsweetie wrote: »
    Simsweetie wrote: »
    I'm offended by the words that are considered to be offensive!

Seriously, I can't even name traditional australian footwear, because apparently it's a type of bum floss in the us, and somehow, it's a bloody swear word. :/

We call them flip flops.

Yeah, but thats a term used in movies that we can't name. So I don't know how it isn't turned to plum. :/

And the traditional term we use, is a term the us uses for bum floss.

And speaking of bum, the US uses a dirty word for bum bags. In fact, the whole term used sound's downright filthy. But I assume fanny pack is not filtered.

lol A fanny pack is just a geeky waist purse. Bum bag sounds much worse to me. Although in the US, bums are dirty homeless people who live on the streets.

I forgot Fanny is also a nickname for Fransis/Francis . That name is both male or female. My old neighbor's name was Fanny

It is hard for me to understand how Fanny is a curse word in other countries :p

Also Fanny can be used in replace of the word bum and in sit on your bum/fanny
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    There are some words on here that shouldn't have been censored in the first place. If someone is saying the word ch*ker on here, I'm pretty sure they mean the close-fitting necklace, not a person who strangles another person.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2017
    Two things that censored here often is the three letter word which means to cut/or bite. As in this sentence, Nip it in the bud. It starts with a N and ends in a P so why can't the censor determine this means to intervene, cut, bite, not some lady's body part?

Also, the intials for adult female get censored if you should use the intials instead of writing out adult female when we are trying to describe a Sim especially in conversations concerning TS2 mesh names. Argh.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    MMX wrote: »
    There are some words on here that shouldn't have been censored in the first place. If someone is saying the word ch*ker on here, I'm pretty sure they mean the close-fitting necklace, not a person who strangles another person.

Choker is no longer in the filter :)

Anyways folks, a lot of words have been reviewed and I am open for reviewing additional words, but I didn't intended this thread to turn into a discussion on what words are and aren't allowed.

I'll be closing this thread, but feel free to send me PM if you come across any unusable words in the filter.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top