Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small animal pack

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2017
    Oh oh oh oh oh. In a small animal pack where the animals were more than objects, maybe parrots could bop to the music that was playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sSb1qF7m3w

Funny you say that, because cats and dogs are now pretty much objects. We can't see their relationships, their needs and probably their family tree... We can't even control them with cheats. Just cute moving objects.

So, they'll just stand there till you interact with them, will they? They'll have no traits or personalities, won't be breedable, won't grow, won't have a wide variety of autonomous action? Nah. They just aren't playable and a little bit of information about them is hidden from you instead of shown to you without effort. There are plenty of interactions with them that are a form of control - similar to what you'd have with a real pet if you were that Sim - and you can even interact to find out what their problems are. They just haven't made this a "Be a Kitty!" pack.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    Oh oh oh oh oh. In a small animal pack where the animals were more than objects, maybe parrots could bop to the music that was playing.

Funny you say that, because cats and dogs are now pretty much objects. We can't see their relationships, their needs and probably their family tree... We can't even control them with cheats. Just cute moving objects.

So, they'll just stand there till you interact with them, will they? They'll have no traits or personalities, won't be breedable, won't grow, won't have a wide variety of autonomous action? Nah. They just aren't playable and a little bit of information about them is hidden from you instead of shown to you without effort. There are plenty of interactions with them that are a form of control - similar to what you'd have with a real pet if you were that Sim - and you can even interact to find out what their problems are. They just haven't made this a "Be a Kitty!" pack.

Well excuse me. Interactive objects, advanced objects, objects with random actions. Say it like you want, they're just objects like the babies, but pets can move and are not chained to a crib. They don't even have emotions which is supposed to be a top feature of The Sims 4. I don't want to control the pets, but I want to see their panel, just like in past games. You're super happy with everything Maxis do (as usual) but this pack just shows how lacking The Sims 4 is in some aspects. You rule? Yeah, well... No, we don't.

And a small animal pack would be a joke and a insult. They should have a added them in a decent Pets expansion pack. We pay 40€ for a complete expansion pack, not just a super cool CAP (which is true, is super cool) but just 2 pet beds, no pet houses and repetitive and recycled gameplay.

The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Do you think we will get a small animal pack anytime soon since dogs and cars is coming out? And, what kind of animals would you like in it? Do you think children will be able to feed their pets and possibly clean their cages (hopefully no dying of pets because they haven't, but they could have a bad smell moodlet because of forgetting to clean the cage).

I would like to see mice and hamsters with elaborate cages you can build, birds like budgies, or parakeets , love birds, cockatiels and parrots and would like to see lizards, with terrariums. Would like to see a ball you can put your hamsters and mice in temporarily and see them roam the house. Cats could try to chase the ball like mine did. .They could have bags of treat objects and bags of pet food that you could make a pet store with to sell items.

No dying of pets? Come on. Death is a part of life, after all. "How we deal with death, is at least as important as how we deal with life." ~ Admiral James T. Kirk.

I just lost my best-buddy. My Beagle, Takket, died 14 months after his brother passed on. Losing Tassidus was hard, but what was worse is now my house feels empty. I have no pets whatsoever. And, I'm certainly not a silly 13 year old girl. I used to cry whenever a Sim perished. I'm so sickened by just how dumbed-down this game has become! What are we teaching our children? That life isn't hard? That you'll never get your feelings hurt? That your co-worker won't be the one promoted over you? These are things we all must learn how to deal with in life. If we don't, we'll be miserable. Sheltering people from a pet dying just makes it harder to cope in reality. People die, pets die and doggone it, so do Sims. In Sims3, sometimes your Sim would discover 'Polly' had fallen off her perch. (This used to be a euphemism for death in the 18th century.)

Lol.... it isn’t so much that I don’t want them to die.... it is just that I remember in the sims 2 half the time I would leave the house and the pet would be dead when I got back home because I hadn’t fed them that day yet
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I just had the thought that all our Small Pets might be Voidcritters?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    RetinaStormRetinaStorm Posts: 185 Member
    tbh i dont see why small animals couldnt be made with a horses pack, imagin a farm and small wild animals that you could tame as pets I know I'd buy it.

Autumn trees
    Farm
    Rabbits eating your crops, cages to catch them
    Bees to make honey,
    Birds,
    Rats chewing through your sacks of grain

making wine, jams, cheese and sell them at the local farmers market
    wood burning ovens and heating to keep the farm warm in those winter nights
  • Options
    I also think that we will now get small animals as gameplay objects in stuff packs too.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    tbh i dont see why small animals couldnt be made with a horses pack, imagin a farm and small wild animals that you could tame as pets I know I'd buy it.

Autumn trees
    Farm
    Rabbits eating your crops, cages to catch them
    Bees to make honey,
    Birds,
    Rats chewing through your sacks of grain

making wine, jams, cheese and sell them at the local farmers market
    wood burning ovens and heating to keep the farm warm in those winter nights

I'd rather have small FARM animals in a farm pack.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

Well excuse me. Interactive objects, advanced objects, objects with random actions. Say it like you want, they're just objects like the babies, but pets can move and are not chained to a crib. They don't even have emotions which is supposed to be a top feature of The Sims 4. I don't want to control the pets, but I want to see their panel, just like in past games. You're super happy with everything Maxis do (as usual) but this pack just shows how lacking The Sims 4 is in some aspects. You rule? Yeah, well... No, we don't.

And a small animal pack would be a joke and a insult. They should have a added them in a decent Pets expansion pack. We pay 40€ for a complete expansion pack, not just a super cool CAP (which is true, is super cool) but just 2 pet beds, no pet houses and repetitive and recycled gameplay.

Who told you that? If I recall correctly Cats and Dogs had emotions, Heck they even had the scared emotion that people are been asking for, Aside from some human emotions they will had emotions that are unique to them and will act according to their emotion. The player can influence pets emotions such as interactions.

Why would they add small pets if the general idea they are goinf with this pack is just about cats and dogs?

Imo pets are not Objects, But npc who are there to affect abd influence your gameplay by the way they act and have dull personality. Ww've got tons of these in sims 2 but we regard them as npc not objects.
  • Options
    Voidcritters as small pets
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If we get a small pets pack, it won't be for a while. They aren't going to REPEAT a theme too close together. Maybe in 2020.

Plus, there's always what I call the DRIBBLE THEORY. The Dribble Theory is that you are give a little less each time of whatever IT is. With each lessening portion, you get used to having less and because it's taken away so subtly, you notice, but end up being okay with less JUST THIS TIME. Until the next time, then that's the last time. Until the next time. Pretty soon, you have almost nothing and are content with whatever you are given. Cats & Dogs may be done well, maybe very well, but what if it's only going to be cats and dogs?

While this is a valis concern, I don't think it's happening with pets for a few reasons.

1: People will buy anything pet-related. People have been buying new computers to play Cats&Dogs. It's almost a guarranteed win.

2: Requirements for EPs are going up, but Stuff Packs and Game Packs remain the same so far. If small pets are a GP then people who didn't upgrade their computers have something to buy.

3: EA is in no rush to bring Sims 4 to a close. The more packs they can think of, the longer they can keep it going. Making a new game is much more expensive and risky than turning out new DLC for a popular game - just ask Paradox.

1. "People are buying new computers to play C & D" Though a few are , many are playing on low end laptops that don't meet requirements. They don't have another computer to play on and can't afford a new one. These people will have to quit playing. We have already seen many in tech. It will get worse after C & D is released I don't see the guaranteed win your seeing and I help in tech

2. The more you add to this game , the more demanding the game becomes on computer hardware. Adding a Stuff Pack or just a game patch will make the game more demanding. Have a computer that meets recommended requirements so you don't fall behind in adding all the eps, packs, gps and game patches. The requirements don't ever stay the same. They keep going up with each game add on. Including just a game patch. they will go up even more if you add 3rd party cc with high poly count
    I have come to the point where I can’t play my sims 4 because of a low end computer. I am saving for a gaming laptop that will hopefully make it through the whole sims 4. My little $300 HP was able to add all stuff packs, game packs and and expansions until City Living, and after the toddler patch was added it got to be unplayable, and something happened where it’s not connecting with the internet. But this last month I have gotten back into exploring all the packs since soon I will be getting a new gaming laptop Can’t wait to download all the new packs starting with City living. It will probably take a month to buy and download them all. So many things have been added since then.
  • Options
    @SheriSim57

Sims 4 isn't really for Laptops, thanks to its new graphical requirements, so be careful about which laptop you get for it.
  • Options
    @SheriSim57

Sims 4 isn't really for Laptops, thanks to its new graphical requirements, so be careful about which laptop you get for it.
    Yes, I plan to talk to the tech department before actually buying. And, I plan to get a mid range gaming laptop ( about $1700 is what I am looking at now.) I will be getting it at Best Buy with the insurance and all, I can also pay for it over a year without interest. I like having a place to take it into if I have problems. I don’t have the room for a desktop, and it would be very hard for me to take it in to have it worked on with my age and condition I am in. But, I do want it to be able make it through the sims 4 with all the stuff packs, game packs and expansions that come out. I don’t use CC or mods. I’m looking at an asus gaming computer, 16 Gb ram, 1070 card, with a small ssd and 1tb hard drive.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    If they bring out a small pets pack, say, at the beginning of next quarter, I'm going to be legitimately angry.

Because it'll mean that the gurus made the decision before Cats & Dogs went gold, to put small pets in its own pack to make more money. They'd've had people working on Cats & Dogs, knowing full well that the fella in the cubicle next door was making parrots and womrats.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    If they bring out a small pets pack, say, at the beginning of next quarter, I'm going to be legitimately angry.

Because it'll mean that the gurus made the decision before Cats & Dogs went gold, to put small pets in its own pack to make more money. They'd've had people working on Cats & Dogs, knowing full well that the fella in the cubicle next door was making parrots and womrats.

For what it's worth, they ARE different teams. And I don't think we're going to be so lucky as to start getting Small Pets that soon.

We might even only get Small Pets scattered through Stuff Packs.
  • Options
    2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    After the laundry-themed pack, there's a huge possibility of having a small pets SP by next spring. Remember when they patched in toddlers? What was it, about 8 months later we received the Toddler SP. I would love if they added a new venue lot like Pet Shop our sims could visit or own. Sims could adopt a cat or dog at the pet shop, or purchase a caged animal like a singing parakeet, feisty ferret, and rambunctious rabbit; other animals like turtles and lizards our sims could find throughout the world similar to how we can collect frogs.
  • Options
    ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    I would love a pack with small animals, in fact, I had big expectations for The Sims 4 Pets because in TS3 we had so many animals like snakes, birds, I was so excited to have rabbits and ferrets, and then we have The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs, only them, I was disappointed =/
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    A lot of the Small Pets in Pets 3 were reskins of each other anyway, and not individual pets. Lots of types of birds, but they all behaved the same. They were about as interactive as babies.
  • Options
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Those decisions about cats and dogs without horses or small pets were made a long while ago. It was probably also decided when in the TO DO LIST and how horses would be added and the same for small pets. They don't make a decision about a pack with only dogs and cats without discussing the other pets and when and how they would be added. These are important decisions that setup the schedule of packs and the order and the time frame, not a quick whim that was decided at the water cooler on a Friday.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017
    @SheriSim57

Yes, I plan to talk to the tech department before actually buying. And, I plan to get a mid range gaming laptop ( about $1700 is what I am looking at now.) I will be getting it at Best Buy with the insurance and all, I can also pay for it over a year without interest. I like having a place to take it into if I have problems. I don’t have the room for a desktop, and it would be very hard for me to take it in to have it worked on with my age and condition I am in. But, I do want it to be able make it through the sims 4 with all the stuff packs, game packs and expansions that come out. I don’t use CC or mods. I’m looking at an asus gaming computer, 16 Gb ram, 1070 card, with a small ssd and 1tb hard drive.

You don't even need to spend that much (1700) on a laptop if you are only playing the sims. You won't even need something that powerful ( 1070 card) especially if your playing without CC or mods. When your ready just come into the tech section and someone will help you find a laptop :)
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Then our sims can battle them and feed them candy to make them stronger
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

There is a Void Critter skin in dogs and one in cats already.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

There is a Void Critter skin in dogs and one in cats already.

That could be a hint of things to come... There are tons of Voidcritter decals.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @SheriSim57

You don't even need to spend that much (1700) on a laptop if you are only playing the sims. You won't even need something that powerful ( 1070 card) especially if your playing without CC or mods. When your ready just come into the tech section and someone will help you find a laptop :)

Thank you, I will. I’m not sure when they will bring out the sims 5, but I will probably hold onto my next laptop for about 5 years, and I would like to play that if it comes out within the next 5 years.i might even try out the sims 3 again. I didn’t get very far in that one. I have been trying to read others threads, to get an idea of what I want and need. I especially pay attention to people like you, that know what they are talking about. It sounds like this one I have picked will probably work out then. Going to see if it might go on sale soon. I’m not sure what other games I might play with it.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017
    @SheriSim57

Thank you, I will. I’m not sure when they will bring out the sims 5, but I will probably hold onto my next laptop for about 5 years, and I would like to play that if it comes out within the next 5 years.i might even try out the sims 3 again. I didn’t get very far in that one. I have been trying to read others threads, to get an idea of what I want and need. I especially pay attention to people like you, that know what they are talking about. It sounds like this one I have picked will probably work out then. Going to see if it might go on sale soon. I’m not sure what other games I might play with it.

Your welcome. We don't know if there will be a sims 5. If there is a sims 5 , we won't know the computer specs either. All 3d games require desktop. laptop hardware is weaker. Laptop average life span is 3-5 years. Laptop hardware also becomes outdated quickly. Once the hardware breaks and they no longer make the hardware for the laptop, throw away the laptop. If you want something to last and is more powerful get a desktop. You buy a good gaming desktop with a good case and good cooling you can switch out or upgrade hardware to make it last allot longer than a laptop would

If you buy a laptop now chances are it won't survive or the hardware will be outdated by the time a sims 5 may roll out
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @SheriSim57

Your welcome. We don't know if there will be a sims 5. If there is a sims 5 , we won't know the computer specs either. All 3d games require desktop. laptop hardware is weaker. Laptop average life span is 3-5 years. Laptop hardware also becomes outdated quickly. Once the hardware breaks and they no longer make the hardware for the laptop, throw away the laptop. If you want something to last and is more powerful get a desktop. You buy a good gaming desktop with a good case and good cooling you can switch out or upgrade hardware to make it last allot longer than a laptop would

If you buy a laptop now chances are it won't survive or the hardware will be outdated by the time a sims 5 may roll out

Making whole new games is a lot more expensive than making DLC. The Sims isn't EA's flagship any more, just a cash cow. Since any increase in quality in the game at this moment would be negligible. Who'd buy Sims 5 when Sims 4 isn't even through its Supernatrual states yet? It sure wouldn't have Pets. You'd just be starting from scratch.

We're certainly seeing things in The Sims 4 that, if we had a Sims 5, would be in there from the start (or much nearer the start). Clubs. A closed world, but with more interactive Neighbourhoods inbetween lots to make us more inclined to explore. Colour wheels combined with pixel-perfect placement of drags. Toddlers the deepest they've ever been. A more cartoonish style that will last for years. Gender fluidity. We didn't get these things from the start, but we're getting them now, many in patches. That's not a handwave, btw. That's a technical point.

Because while these things weren't in from the start, it's clear that this particular Sims engine and today's desktop stats can handle all of them. We only got Sims 4 because SIms 3 was outdated by so much hardware and couldn't handle any more packs. We won't get Sims 5 until Sims 4 is looking thoroughly outdated and can't handle it. With a closed world, that could take a while.

Who knows what we'll see with Small Pets? Personally I have pretty high hopes.