Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will sims 3 run on this laptop?

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    Christopher69BChristopher69B Posts: 159 Member
    @Christopher69B I should have been more clear. I forgot about this. There are some laptops out there that give you one hard drive 250 gb SSD . That would not be enough to put all your games on. I have a 250 gb ssd but I also a 1 tb hard drive. My computers have two hard drives. When I move files from my ssd I send them to the second hard drive. I also have other games on my second hard drive. I only have the sims 3 on my 250 gb ssd with windows

The ones I’ve seen with 250GB SSD are well over £1000 and I cannot afford anything over that price the max I would go to is £900 at the max. I plan on picking it up from a local computer store instead of Ordering it from the internet.

I know having a larger ssd is more expensive. If your using an HDD you may get stuck with TS3 long loading times as your saves get larger

the longer loading times wouldnt really bother me to much the only thing im more bothered about is if sims 3 will lag. anyway Ive brought a new computer (laptop) the specs are intel i5 7300HQ, GFX 1050 4GB, 8GB ram. I only went with a 256GB SSD Hard drive cause I was limted on funds. If I need more space for other games I will buy a External Hardrive, A USB one I was told you install steam games on them.

Just so you know when you play on an external is not the same as internal hard drive. Your game may not perform as well on an external hard drive.

Congrats on the new laptop. @igazor can post you instruction on how to set up the sims 3 game on your laptop. I'm on tablet and having issues copying and pasting links. You need to cap your fps with this game. The game has no fps limiter and you will have game issues if you don't cap the fps.

it will most likely be alot better than what it was on my old laptop. Ive also got the game on steam so its already in my games, ill just need to transfer all my game saves over from my old laptop. Also I appreciate all the computer tips as well since im not reallt that good when it comes to computers specs, but im quite good using computers.

Your very welcome.. The sims 3 should play on ultra or high if you have that installed on your internal hard drive. I don't know how GTA will run on an external hard drive. GTA is more powerful than the sims . If you tried to run GTA on your old laptop I can only imagine it was not a good gaming experience if GTA ran on it at all

When igazor comes on the forum he can help you get your fps capped on the sims 3.

its installing on my laptop hard drive I do plan on buying a USB when I need one. GTA would of not run on my old laptop at all, my old laptop could barely cope with sims 3 without any lagging. Mostly like cause of the on board graphics and the cpu.

I figured GTA would not even start on your old laptop since it's even more powerful than the sims. I know GTA is pretty powerful to my desktop and my desktop is a medium level gaming desktop. My desktop is slightly more powerful than your new laptop. GTA is a pretty large game.

Sims 3 has just finished downloading and it loaded my game save pretty quickly! And it seems to run the game much better then my old laptop there is no lag at all. Only problem I had was it said it couldn’t see my graphics card in there database I’m not sure what that means.

You need to use vsync to cap your fps and have the game recognize your card. Again when igazor comes n the forum he can give you those instructions

I also tried it on a larger and more populated world with more lots and it seems to handle it pretty well, it didn't take to long to load either. on my old laptop it took up to a hour to load on a larger world.

The game will load quicker because you have a better processor now. The game takes loner to load as your saves get larger unless you have an ssd. If you have an ssd larger saves should load in 5 minutes or less

I’m soon planning on trying get a SSD USB hard drive since there are alot faster from what I’ve been told. And cause GTA has near enough taken up half my hard drive space.

Yes GTA is a huge game. The portable external ssd's are expensive . I have no idea how the sims 3 will run on an external ssd

If there too much I’ll just try and get a 1TB external drive since I wanna buy some more games and the chances are I will have no room left.

They seem to be cheaper in the UK Amazon has a seagate 1 tb for 50 pounds . The samsung ones which is better cost close to 200 pounds for 500 gb

im going have a look around for some cheap ones. ive also played some other games on my new computer and they seem to run fine. even GTA V is running fine with no problems. im also thinking about sims 4 at a later date.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Christopher69B I should have been more clear. I forgot about this. There are some laptops out there that give you one hard drive 250 gb SSD . That would not be enough to put all your games on. I have a 250 gb ssd but I also a 1 tb hard drive. My computers have two hard drives. When I move files from my ssd I send them to the second hard drive. I also have other games on my second hard drive. I only have the sims 3 on my 250 gb ssd with windows

The ones I’ve seen with 250GB SSD are well over £1000 and I cannot afford anything over that price the max I would go to is £900 at the max. I plan on picking it up from a local computer store instead of Ordering it from the internet.

I know having a larger ssd is more expensive. If your using an HDD you may get stuck with TS3 long loading times as your saves get larger

the longer loading times wouldnt really bother me to much the only thing im more bothered about is if sims 3 will lag. anyway Ive brought a new computer (laptop) the specs are intel i5 7300HQ, GFX 1050 4GB, 8GB ram. I only went with a 256GB SSD Hard drive cause I was limted on funds. If I need more space for other games I will buy a External Hardrive, A USB one I was told you install steam games on them.

Just so you know when you play on an external is not the same as internal hard drive. Your game may not perform as well on an external hard drive.

Congrats on the new laptop. @igazor can post you instruction on how to set up the sims 3 game on your laptop. I'm on tablet and having issues copying and pasting links. You need to cap your fps with this game. The game has no fps limiter and you will have game issues if you don't cap the fps.

it will most likely be alot better than what it was on my old laptop. Ive also got the game on steam so its already in my games, ill just need to transfer all my game saves over from my old laptop. Also I appreciate all the computer tips as well since im not reallt that good when it comes to computers specs, but im quite good using computers.

Your very welcome.. The sims 3 should play on ultra or high if you have that installed on your internal hard drive. I don't know how GTA will run on an external hard drive. GTA is more powerful than the sims . If you tried to run GTA on your old laptop I can only imagine it was not a good gaming experience if GTA ran on it at all

When igazor comes on the forum he can help you get your fps capped on the sims 3.

its installing on my laptop hard drive I do plan on buying a USB when I need one. GTA would of not run on my old laptop at all, my old laptop could barely cope with sims 3 without any lagging. Mostly like cause of the on board graphics and the cpu.

I figured GTA would not even start on your old laptop since it's even more powerful than the sims. I know GTA is pretty powerful to my desktop and my desktop is a medium level gaming desktop. My desktop is slightly more powerful than your new laptop. GTA is a pretty large game.

Sims 3 has just finished downloading and it loaded my game save pretty quickly! And it seems to run the game much better then my old laptop there is no lag at all. Only problem I had was it said it couldn’t see my graphics card in there database I’m not sure what that means.

You need to use vsync to cap your fps and have the game recognize your card. Again when igazor comes n the forum he can give you those instructions

I also tried it on a larger and more populated world with more lots and it seems to handle it pretty well, it didn't take to long to load either. on my old laptop it took up to a hour to load on a larger world.

The game will load quicker because you have a better processor now. The game takes loner to load as your saves get larger unless you have an ssd. If you have an ssd larger saves should load in 5 minutes or less

I’m soon planning on trying get a SSD USB hard drive since there are alot faster from what I’ve been told. And cause GTA has near enough taken up half my hard drive space.

Yes GTA is a huge game. The portable external ssd's are expensive . I have no idea how the sims 3 will run on an external ssd

If there too much I’ll just try and get a 1TB external drive since I wanna buy some more games and the chances are I will have no room left.

They seem to be cheaper in the UK Amazon has a seagate 1 tb for 50 pounds . The samsung ones which is better cost close to 200 pounds for 500 gb

im going have a look around for some cheap ones. ive also played some other games on my new computer and they seem to run fine. even GTA V is running fine with no problems. im also thinking about sims 4 at a later date.

Cheap is not always better when it comes to buying any kind of computer hardware so be careful what you buy.

Glad GTA is running well .
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @Christopher69B Gaming on an external drive is already going to be a performance drop. Doing so on a cheap external would be even worse. You should look for 7200 RPM & USB 3.0. Hopefully, your laptop has a 3.0 port. There are better connections than 3.0 but it will raise the price.

When your laptop isn't under warranty, you should check to see if the internal drive can be changed. If it can then when it's no longer under warranty, install a 1TB+ internal drive. Internal is way better performance than external.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @Christopher69B Gaming on an external drive is already going to be a performance drop. Doing so on a cheap external would be even worse. You should look for 7200 RPM & USB 3.0. Hopefully, your laptop has a 3.0 port. There are better connections than 3.0 but it will raise the price.

When your laptop isn't under warranty, you should check to see if the internal drive can be changed. If it can then when it's no longer under warranty, install a 1TB+ internal drive. Internal is way better performance than external.

I now got this laptop yesterday and I only got 256GB cause the 1TB ones were over £1000 and I couldn’t afford anything in that price range. This one was £799.

• Options
    edited October 2017

I now got this laptop yesterday and I only got 256GB cause the 1TB ones were over £1000 and I couldn’t afford anything in that price range. This one was £799.
    I understand. I read your other comments... but I'm just giving you info on what to look for when you get the external drive. Poor performance isn't what you had in mind I'm sure. It would be better to get a 7200 RPM external drive with USB 3.0 vs something much slower. Trust me, it really does matter.

I was also letting you know some laptops do have removable drives so after the warranty has expired, you can look into upgrading the internal drive. Without knowing which laptop you got, this is something you will have to look into. Just trying to be friendly and helpful. Feel free to ignore.
  • Options

I understand. I read your other comments... but I'm just giving you info on what to look for when you get the external drive. Poor performance isn't what you had in mind I'm sure. It would be better to get a 7200 RPM external drive with USB 3.0 vs something much slower. Trust me, it really does matter.

I was also letting you know some laptops do have removable drives so after the warranty has expired, you can look into upgrading the internal drive. Without knowing which laptop you got, this is something you will have to look into. Just trying to be friendly and helpful. Feel free to ignore.

I’ll probably try and get a 7200 RPM external drive cause then I could probably move my games onto that and free up space on my laptop drive. I could possibly upgrade the intel drive in the future but it’s going be a pain to install my games again. Certainly when one is almost 70GB.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I’ll probably try and get a 7200 RPM external drive cause then I could probably move my games onto that and free up space on my laptop drive. I could possibly upgrade the intel drive in the future but it’s going be a pain to install my games again. Certainly when one is almost 70GB.
    You can clone drives. This is something you can look into when the time comes... Just make sure the drive you're transferring data to has enough space. Not all laptops have upgradable drive(s) so you will need to look into your laptops model for this info.

Also, if your laptop runs into heat issues then it would be a good idea to get a laptop cooling pad. They aren't very expensive and well worth it since heat can damage components.

• Options

You can clone drives. This is something you can look into when the time comes... Just make sure the drive you're transferring data to has enough space. Also, if your laptop runs into heat issues then it would be a good idea to get a laptop cooling pad. They aren't very expensive and well worth it since heat can damage components.

A cooling fan is probably what I might get next. At the moment it generates some heat but not loads of heat. Once I play games the fan will starting getting louder but it never gets too hot.

• Options

Cheap is not always better when it comes to buying any kind of computer hardware so be careful what you buy.

I’ve also started a new game save in Alpine County custom world and it seems to run quite well. Im not sure if you have ever played it that world before but it is quite large.
  • Options

I’ve also started a new game save in Alpine County custom world and it seems to run quite well. Im not sure if you have ever played it that world before but it is quite large.

I have never played custom worlds but I'm glad it's running well for you and your enjoying your new laptop.

Is this custom world for the sims 3? As your saves get larger with this game, the game can become more sluggish if in a large world. Sometimes the builder might have routing issues. Some EA worlds have routing issues. I have even caused routing issues when building lots and had to fix the builds.
  • Options

I have never played custom worlds but I'm glad it's running well for you and your enjoying your new laptop.

Is this custom world for the sims 3? As your saves get larger with this game, the game can become more sluggish if in a large world. Sometimes the builder might have routing issues. Some EA worlds have routing issues. I have even caused routing issues when building lots and had to fix the builds.

This world is for the sims 3, this is a new save I made yesterday. I could also possibly add pets now since my old computer could even handle pets without lag.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Just to chip in here if I may, custom worlds can be great if they are designed well but Alpine County is HUUGE! Many if not most players find that after a while, maybe a generation or two, the game just cannot cope with a world that large no matter how strong a system they are on and either have to move their sims out of it or bulldoze over half of the world. The limitation is on the game software being 32-bit and only being capable of using ~3.7 GB of RAM no matter how much the player has installed, not anything that can really be overcome with better hardware.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited October 2017

This world is for the sims 3, this is a new save I made yesterday. I could also possibly add pets now since my old computer could even handle pets without lag.

@igazor posted about that custom world your playing and seems to know more about that world.

You should be able to run pets on that laptop. Pets is the most brutal and demanding EP in the game . Not sure if you would have to lower your settings for it. I don't have a 1000 series card and I am on desktop
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Just to chip in here if I may, custom worlds can be great if they are designed well but Alpine County is HUUGE! Many if not most players find that after a while, maybe a generation or two, the game just cannot cope with a world that large no matter how strong a system they are on and either have to move their sims out of it or bulldoze over half of the world. The limitation is on the game software being 32-bit and only being capable of using ~3.7 GB of RAM no matter how much the player has installed, not anything that can really be overcome with better hardware.

I normally clear my cache files from my sims 3 folder in my documents every time I load the game up. And also the featured items, that can normally help speed up the game. I also have Nrass Overwatch and Nrass Error trap installed which helps alot as well.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    I normally clear my cache files from my sims 3 folder in my documents every time I load the game up. And also the featured items, that can normally help speed up the game. I also have Nrass Overwatch and Nrass Error trap installed which helps alot as well.
    Those tips go without saying for most of our players at NRaas. I'm just pointing out what to expect if you intend to use Alpine for a long-running ongoing game spanning multiple generations (maybe that wasn't your plan anyway). I don't know of any player who has been able to keep that one running long-term on any system no matter which mods they use. Once we get past hardware issues as you already have, it then really pushes what the game engine can process in any environment again because of the 32-bit limit. The game will keep reaching for more RAM for routine operations as the ongoing games progress, so routinely 2.8 GB, 3.1,, then 3.3. After any more than that, the game will either start crashing or you will get Error 12s upon trying to save.

If you aren't running NRaas StoryProgression though and manage to keep the population levels down, I would expect that a game in that world might last a bit longer.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    When I built my first gaming computer, I wanted to test it out by playing in Alpine County. I soon learned that there is a limit to how big, cluttered, and populated a world can be on a 32-bit game. My experience was pretty the same as igazor described. It is an amazing world and probably one that I will have sims travel to instead.
  • Options
    @james66266 chester said the new coffee lake is a beast and far better than anything they have put out before. she said you aso need a new mobo for it . It won't use the same mobo as the sky and kaby lakes
  • Options
    @james66266 chester said the new coffee lake is a beast and far better than anything they have put out before. she said you aso need a new mobo for it . It won't use the same mobo as the sky and kaby lakes

Just a bit of a update on my new laptop, the screen now seems to flicker everyone now and again and there is green dots all over the screen (only noticeable only a black screen) so I might have to return it to the store to see if can get a replacement. This only started happening yesterday, they have a 21 day return policy.
  • Options

Just a bit of a update on my new laptop, the screen now seems to flicker everyone now and again and there is green dots all over the screen (only noticeable only a black screen) so I might have to return it to the store to see if can get a replacement. This only started happening yesterday, they have a 21 day return policy.

If your having an issue I would take it back and have them look at it
  • Options

thats what im probably going to do, the issue with it is intermittent with the screen flickering which seems to happen at least one every 20-30 mins.
  • Options

Just another update I took my laptop back to the store they looked at it, and just gave me a instant replacement laptop I now just need to reinstall sims 3.