Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The name generator

Comments

• Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    I really wish they would fix this. It shouldn't be that difficult of a fix either. Just take the entire list of names in the current database and give them all an equal chance of showing up rather than it favoring one batch of names over another. The game has all the names already there as you can see if you hit randomize in CAS it's just not properly using all of them when generating random townies.
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    I really wish they would fix this. It shouldn't be that difficult of a fix either. Just take the entire list of names in the current database and give them all an equal chance of showing up rather than it favoring one batch of names over another. The game has all the names already there as you can see if you hit randomize in CAS it's just not properly using all of them when generating random townies.

@AuroraLockwood , you bring up a good point. While the recent proliferation of ethnic names never bothered me, you are right in that it doesn't make sense that in CAS there does not seem to be this problem. All the CAS first names and surnames seem to be a much more even mix. ;)
    The only thing that bothers me with the Townie name generator is when there are duplicates! I had a Townie Vampire sneak into my Sims' house and drink from her, so while she was passed out I had her husband yell, shove, jeer, at the Vampire while slowly moving the argument outside because it was about to be dawn. I had the husband fight the Vampire a couple times to keep him in the sunlight, eventually killing him. (That's what he gets for drinking from one of my Sims!) Well the Vampire died, the Grim Reaper took him, and the tombstone resides on my Sim's lot. Later that day my Sim went fishing and saw another Townie Sim with the same first and last name! I thought the vampire had come back to "life" for a moment since they even had the same hair color and similar cut. But the new Townie Sim had a different build and wasn't a Vampire! LOL B)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    edited October 2017
    @PugLove888 that's my issue. Not that the names are ethnic but that they are used repeatedly.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

It won't change until they add a pack that generates new names for that town theme etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    @PugLove888 that's my issue. Not that the names are ethnic but that they are used repeatedly.

@ikiamyetta , yes, this name repetition is an exasperating problem! :s If its just the last name that is repeating, then I have to just pretend they are all related and part of a huge family. When its the first name that is repeating then I just pretend it was a super popular baby name for the year they were born. But if it is the same complete name repeating (like my case of the Vampire and the fishing Sim), then I have to pretend I've fallen into the "Twilight Zone"! :o:#:D
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited October 2017
    I had one sim named brainardo applygate lol
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I went into manage households 2 nights ago, and found 4, 4!!!! Al habdi (spelling idk) families. That's insane.
    How long has this bug been around? Too long. Unacceptable.
    Fix your game maxis, my god.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    People all over the world play this game. Why should there only be english names?

If the Sim matches their name, it's fine. When they don't it's a bit jarring and non immersive. And when every game generated townie has a name that doesn't fit them, then it's a bug. And thus fine to discuss here.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited October 2017
    I've found a non-Asian house hold with the last name Miyazaki (You know director and producer of spirited away?) Then I found an Asian sim with the name Mark Leaf... O.o;
    Mark leaf was the random generated sim with the fake sim face that worked at the scifi diner I built a while ago. Made me perk a brow.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    BMSO wrote: »
    I've found a non-Asian house hold with the last name Miyazaki (You know director and producer of spirited away?) Then I found an Asian sim with the name Mark Leaf... O.o;

All my game generates are white sims with blonde dreads and Japanese names :/
  • Options
    agustd wrote: »

Oh geeze, that probably gets a little old?

• Options

It makes me furious because I hate cultural appropriation :D This game used to be so good at creating real, diverse sims at the beginning wasn't it. How I miss the times CL was new and not glitched.
  • Options

It makes me furious because I hate cultural appropriation :D This game used to be so good at creating real, diverse sims at the beginning wasn't it. How I miss the times CL was new and not glitched.

Totally agreed. Though many of the recent patches sort of broke it. Sad..

• Options

@agustd , if it makes you feel better, the only cultural appropriation that is taking place is with the Japanese names. Dreadlocks and similar hairstyles have been worn all over the world from ancient times. I know there is something similar called a Polish Lock that held superstitions that bad things would happen if you cut it off! :# There is a picture on Wikipeadia. But I was really surprised to find out that even Vikings would sometimes wear dreadlocks! :o But nowadays we always think of the Caribbean when we think of dreads! :)
    As for the Japanese name, maybe your non-Asian Sims were from a family that was adopted way back by a Japanese family, and the adoptee was so grateful that they vowed to even name all their offspring with Japanese names! ;) On the US version of Big Brother in seasons 16 & 17 there was a man of Korean descent who was adopted by a family with a European name. He spoke with a strong Southern accent, and won America's Favorite Player one year! B) So it does happen in real life, just not on the level that your game is exhibiting. ;)
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I know I am really sick of the Asian/Japanese style names. I am so desperate to find a mod that will only allow European Names be generated for my game. It us not that I hate the diversity, but I end up changing all the game generated npc names in every save just to help my sanity.
  • Options
    JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    I like using this:

https://www.behindthename.com/random/

I like that you can select what nationality you would like the name to be and if you want a middle name or not.

ETA:
    I guess it helps to add that I generally try to populate my world with townies of my creation/or heavy editing

A little of topic, thanks for posting that site, I just bookmarked it :) I am like you, the only sims in my game are made by me.
    On topic, I don't have CL so I am lucky that I don't have this problem, although I totally agree with all of you, EA should tone this down, not because they are foreign names but because every Sim generated seems to get them, like the person that posted that they have a "ginger named Kengo Hasegawa"
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    @GoddessSims : I like that link to the name generator. Thank you!
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2017
    Retracted :)
    Post edited by Baenre on
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm seeing this in my game as well, sims being generated with the same last names over and over. I had a dozen households with the same last name, and not all of them were related. When it gets out of control like that, I go in and delete the households or if they are sims who my households are friends with I change their names to something else. It gets awful confusing with so many being generated with the same names. It's not that the Asian names get chosen over others, it's that it's always the same handful of last names that get generated.
  • Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    > @NorthDakotaGamer said:
    > I know I am really sick of the Asian/Japanese style names. I am so desperate to find a mod that will only allow European Names be generated for my game. It us not that I hate the diversity, but I end up changing all the game generated npc names in every save just to help my sanity.

You can use this mod http://www.mediafire.com/file/74o50j7qv1c2rc4/VNM-SimSpawner-Over5000EnglishNamesForAll-v2.package
    to add more english names to your game. I found it in another thread on this issue (Sorry I don't know who posted it). I use it in my game, and now I see a lot more sims with english names.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    LiaRose1435, I like all Eurpean based names. I saw many links for specific like just English, French, or German names. I do not want one specific heritage. I want multiple European heritage based names. There is not a mod that does that.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    deleted
    Post edited by agustd on
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2017
    Retracted. :)
    Post edited by Baenre on
  • Options
    uhlon1220uhlon1220 Posts: 5 New Member
    Why am I keep getting this i started a new game to.. and still get it. it not letting me play.

thanks

<?xml version="1.0" ?><root>
    <report><version>2</version><sessionid>efab93466863662759d9331d</sessionid><type>desync</type><sku>ea.maxis.sims4_64.15.pc</sku><createtime>2017-10-07 17:35:52</createtime><buildsignature>Local.Unknown.Unknown.1.34.18.1020-1.200.000.293.Release</buildsignature><categoryid>sim_focus.py:194</categoryid><desyncid>efab93466863662759d9331d</desyncid><systemconfig/><screenshot/><desyncdata>Exception in Sim Timeline: Exception running Element (AttributeError: 'object_tvSurfaceLOW1x1_01' object has no attribute 'get_focus_bone')
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\scheduling.py", line 212, in simulate
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\elements.py", line 373, in _run
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\interaction.py", line 5542, in _do_perform_gen
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\interaction.py", line 5535, in _get_behavior
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 3703, in build_basic_elements
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\interaction.py", line 5778, in build_basic_elements
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Core\sims4\tuning\tunable.py", line 491, in __call__
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\utils\sim_focus.py", line 252, in factory
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\utils\sim_focus.py", line 222, in with_sim_focus
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\utils\sim_focus.py", line 194, in __init__
    AttributeError: 'object_tvSurfaceLOW1x1_01' object has no attribute 'get_focus_bone'
    </desyncdata></report>
    </root>
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    uhlon1220 wrote: »
    Why am I keep getting this i started a new game to.. and still get it. it not letting me play.

thanks

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
    2efab93466863662759d9331ddesyncea.maxis.sims4_64.15.pc2017-10-07 17:35:52Local.Unknown.Unknown.1.34.18.1020-1.200.000.293.Releasesim_focus.py:194efab93466863662759d9331dException in Sim Timeline: Exception running Element (AttributeError: 'object_tvSurfaceLOW1x1_01' object has no attribute 'get_focus_bone')
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\scheduling.py", line 212, in simulate
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\elements.py", line 373, in _run
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\interaction.py", line 5542, in _do_perform_gen
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\interaction.py", line 5535, in _get_behavior
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 3703, in build_basic_elements
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\interaction.py", line 5778, in build_basic_elements
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Core\sims4\tuning\tunable.py", line 491, in __call__
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\utils\sim_focus.py", line 252, in factory
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\utils\sim_focus.py", line 222, in with_sim_focus
    File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\utils\sim_focus.py", line 194, in __init__
    AttributeError: 'object_tvSurfaceLOW1x1_01' object has no attribute 'get_focus_bone'

Hello @uhlon1220
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there. If it has helped with the issues, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.
    Try testing the cc build/buy mode object items first , such as tables.