Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The name generator

Comments

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have a Germanic male sim in game with the name Aburami Matsu. I went into CAS and changed it to Olaf Burgen which isn't necessarily German but its closer than Aburami Matsu would be. I'm sure Aburami would be great for an Asian sim but doesn't really work for Meister Burgen. Please note, Meister Burgen is just one of many examples.

I think the problem is that the sims don't really have real life cultural and genetic anomalies so the name generator is random, and in the interest of adding Asian, and Indian names for City Living because they play a big cultural part in that pack, the game generator generates more of those names for some of us and they don't always fit the sim.

Which means in order for us to Have cultural diversity in our names, we may just have to edit them ourselves because chances are, it's a big ask to make the system go through and evaluate things like skin tone, eye spacing, height and weight, bone assignment, etc... and choose an appropriate name. It is after all, a life simulation game not a genetics profiling software.

All that being said, I guess it still works in a way. I don't know what its like in countries I've never been in, but in my own country, we have a bit of a melting pot and its not that unusual to see a person with Italian characteristics named Ricco Sanchez or Alfonze Attaboli or Siobahn McBride, etc...

Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I have a Germanic male sim in game with the name Aburami Matsu. I went into CAS and changed it to Olaf Burgen which isn't necessarily German but its closer than Aburami Matsu would be. I'm sure Aburami would be great for an Asian sim but doesn't really work for Meister Burgen. Please note, Meister Burgen is just one of many examples.

I think the problem is that the sims don't really have real life cultural and genetic anomalies so the name generator is random, and in the interest of adding Asian, and Indian names for City Living because they play a big cultural part in that pack, the game generator generates more of those names for some of us and they don't always fit the sim.

Which means in order for us to Have cultural diversity in our names, we may just have to edit them ourselves because chances are, it's a big ask to make the system go through and evaluate things like skin tone, eye spacing, height and weight, bone assignment, etc... and choose an appropriate name. It is after all, a life simulation game not a genetics profiling software.

All that being said, I guess it still works in a way. I don't know what its like in countries I've never been in, but in my own country, we have a bit of a melting pot and its not that unusual to see a person with Italian characteristics named Ricco Sanchez or Alfonze Attaboli or Siobahn McBride, etc...

The problem isn't who gets the name. I don't want 6 Al Mussa families spawning at once.
  • Options
    butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    I actually haven't noticed. I think I'll have to take a closer look.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    I like using this:

https://www.behindthename.com/random/

I like that you can select what nationality you would like the name to be and if you want a middle name or not.

ETA:
    I guess it helps to add that I generally try to populate my world with townies of my creation/or heavy editing

Hello
    Thankyou very much for the helpful link to the name generator :)
  • Options
    OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    edited September 2017
    @catmando830 Ariadne is such a pretty name.
    Also @ladybreid thanks for the generator that is really useful. I didn't know there was one, I was just looking through the list of names and picking manually. This is so very useful.
  • Options
    ShareeSharee Posts: 242 Member
    This is an issue everyone seems to have. I wish too that they would tone it down.
    Generation of outfits for townies seems to be busted with the city living items too, you see the same crop top, long skirt and shoes on a lot of them.
  • Options
    VisenyaDaisyVisenyaDaisy Posts: 18 New Member
    i've noticed a lot of asian names with city living, but it's not really a problem for me. in fact, my city in real life has a lot of asian people in it, so it's kind of realistic. and my sims rarely interact with townies anyway. if i want to give them a best friend or love interest, i go create one.
  • Options
    BieberFever975BieberFever975 Posts: 105 Member
    This has really been starting to annoy me as well! but i have a feeling EA wont bother fixing it :neutral: Do you know of a way to fix this?? Either a mod that can be added to the game or a way to go in and change up the names and give its variety back?? I found a tutorial that could help, but i never modded anything before so its a bit confusing to me
  • Options
    This has really been starting to annoy me as well! but i have a feeling EA wont bother fixing it :neutral: Do you know of a way to fix this?? Either a mod that can be added to the game or a way to go in and change up the names and give its variety back?? I found a tutorial that could help, but i never modded anything before so its a bit confusing to me

Hello
    This is a fandom name generator that a simmer made
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=566156
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > BieberFever975 wrote: »
    >
    > This has really been starting to annoy me as well! but i have a feeling EA wont bother fixing it :neutral: Do you know of a way to fix this?? Either a mod that can be added to the game or a way to go in and change up the names and give its variety back?? I found a tutorial that could help, but i never modded anything before so its a bit confusing to me
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > This is a fandom name generator that a simmer made
    > http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=566156

I dont really like having fandom names in my game, i was hoping to either find a mod that uses just random real-life names, if you know what i mean.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    > This has really been starting to annoy me as well! but i have a feeling EA wont bother fixing it :neutral: Do you know of a way to fix this?? Either a mod that can be added to the game or a way to go in and change up the names and give its variety back?? I found a tutorial that could help, but i never modded anything before so its a bit confusing to me
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > This is a fandom name generator that a simmer made
    > http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=566156

I dont really like having fandom names in my game, i was hoping to either find a mod that uses just random real-life names, if you know what i mean.

Hello @BieberFever975
    I know what you mean. I was trying to find a random real life names generator mod to help you, but the fandom one seemed to be the only one I could find. I am sorry :(
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    > > @rosemow said:
    > > BieberFever975 wrote: »
    > >
    > > This has really been starting to annoy me as well! but i have a feeling EA wont bother fixing it :neutral: Do you know of a way to fix this?? Either a mod that can be added to the game or a way to go in and change up the names and give its variety back?? I found a tutorial that could help, but i never modded anything before so its a bit confusing to me
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hello
    > > This is a fandom name generator that a simmer made
    > > http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=566156
    >
    > I dont really like having fandom names in my game, i was hoping to either find a mod that uses just random real-life names, if you know what i mean.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @BieberFever975
    > I know what you mean. I was trying to find a random real life names generator mod to help you, but the fandom one seemed to be the only one I could find. I am sorry :(

Thats ok! Thank you for the suggestion though! I just actually found a tutorial that shows you how to go into the data file and change/add new names to the game but i cant find a tool that lets me open and edit one of the files :(
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    > > @rosemow said:
    > > BieberFever975 wrote: »
    > >
    > > This has really been starting to annoy me as well! but i have a feeling EA wont bother fixing it :neutral: Do you know of a way to fix this?? Either a mod that can be added to the game or a way to go in and change up the names and give its variety back?? I found a tutorial that could help, but i never modded anything before so its a bit confusing to me
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hello
    > > This is a fandom name generator that a simmer made
    > > http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=566156
    >
    > I dont really like having fandom names in my game, i was hoping to either find a mod that uses just random real-life names, if you know what i mean.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @BieberFever975
    > I know what you mean. I was trying to find a random real life names generator mod to help you, but the fandom one seemed to be the only one I could find. I am sorry :(

Thats ok! Thank you for the suggestion though! I just actually found a tutorial that shows you how to go into the data file and change/add new names to the game but i cant find a tool that lets me open and edit one of the files :(

Hello
    This article may help
    http://simscommunity.info/social/threads/mod-tutorial-add-new-names-for-randomizer.2821/
    If you have issues, you could perhaps post on that site.

• Options
    VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    I genuinely don't care what ethnicity the names belong to and hadn't really thought about it in those terms. I do get annoyed with particular names. It's more about the way the name is spelt than the ethnicity of it. I should be up front here and say that I am not prejudiced against people with unusual name spellings. I am one. In fact, perhaps being one means I don't want to make my sims suffer with the same issue, but when I get self-generated names like Micheal it really. Really. REALLY annoys me. I don't care if it's the townies but when it's children born when I am at another house, then I have to go in and change it. Micheal became Mikhail in the end.

As regards Asian names as a rule, I don't have a problem with them (I don't have the EP in question though) and would be fine with Hasegawa and Yoshida. But when I created my Japanese family, it was annoying that the names are forced to be the Western way around. I wanted Tanaka Sousuke, Tanaka Junsuke and Tanaka Ai in my game, but that doesn't happen in an English language game...
  • Options
    @rosemow yes! that is the tutorial i am trying to follow haha, problem is the data filetool download link does not work anymore, i think ill go post on there and see if theres any updated link or similar program to that, thanks!
  • Options
    Vraie wrote: »
    I genuinely don't care what ethnicity the names belong to and hadn't really thought about it in those terms. I do get annoyed with particular names. It's more about the way the name is spelt than the ethnicity of it. I should be up front here and say that I am not prejudiced against people with unusual name spellings. I am one. In fact, perhaps being one means I don't want to make my sims suffer with the same issue, but when I get self-generated names like Micheal it really. Really. REALLY annoys me. I don't care if it's the townies but when it's children born when I am at another house, then I have to go in and change it. Micheal became Mikhail in the end.

As regards Asian names as a rule, I don't have a problem with them (I don't have the EP in question though) and would be fine with Hasegawa and Yoshida. But when I created my Japanese family, it was annoying that the names are forced to be the Western way around. I wanted Tanaka Sousuke, Tanaka Junsuke and Tanaka Ai in my game, but that doesn't happen in an English language game...

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm actually confused. Michael is a weird spelling? You can enter the names in which ever order you wish. If you had City Living you'd know what we are talking about.
  • Options
    Your post sounds like I offended you, and if I did, then I apologise, but I'll try to explain.

Having CL - as I said, I don't care about name ethnicities, so the ethnicity of the names wouldn't bother me even if I had CL.

My issue is with weird name spellings in the automatic generation. As I mentioned above, MicHEAL is a weird spelling. Michael obviously isn't, but that isn't the name I got ;) I also had Jorden, which I would have preferred as Jordan. The thread is about the name generator in general so I think I am on topic, but I am sorry if by commenting on odd name spellings I'm somehow not ;)

Thirdly, the name order thing. In Japan, as in China and in some other Asian countries, the standard name order is surname-first name. The game forces the names to be in western name order, so first name surname. To clarify, the game forces "Ai Tanaka", whereas her name should be "Tanaka Ai". But I can't put it in as Tanaka Ai because then it will become the Ai family, with three people who have Tanaka as their given name. And that's just really confusing. It doesn't matter to me so much with their offspring, but because I originally had a story in mind for the Tanaka family, it would have been nicer for me if they had been authentic. My game won't let me write them like this:
    田中愛 (Tanaka Ai)
    田中淳介 (Tanaka Junsuke)
    田中宗助 (Tanaka Sousuke)
    Because it only recognises roman characters on input. That much I accept as fair enough. But Japanese names sound wrong to me the wrong way around, so that was my personal little twitch. If the game wants to use excess of Asian character names, it wouldn't hurt to have some authenticity attached to those names in my opinion (which is why I would be happy with Yoshidas and Hasegawas but frustrated by them in Western name order.)

Sorry for not explaining it clearer!
  • Options
    @rosemow yes! that is the tutorial i am trying to follow haha, problem is the data filetool download link does not work anymore, i think ill go post on there and see if theres any updated link or similar program to that, thanks!

You're welcome :)
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    Most of my townies have not Asian, but East Indian names. It'd be fine if all the sims in my game were East Indian, but I have cultural diversity in my game... Where are the Barbra's, Shamika's, Sioban's... etc...

@Konan_Norris I know you are right about MCCC and its a great tool, but shouldn't really be necessary to fix something like this ya know? Not to mention that it shouldn't be necessary to fix all the other things it fixes that are off topic for this post and I won't go into them... Just a bit frustrated I suppose. :)

But India is part of Asia! Therefore East Indian names are Asian names, they are just a smaller subset of Asian names. ;)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    @Vraie believe me going into manage world and seeing 6 Tanaka and 5 Al Mussa families can get quite annoying. That's my gripe, nothing else about the random townie name generator bothers me.
  • Options
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    @Vraie believe me going into manage world and seeing 6 Tanaka and 5 Al Mussa families can get quite annoying. That's my gripe, nothing else about the random townie name generator bothers me.

Yeah, I can understand that as annoying. I have to admit that I don't pay a lot of attention to the townies.
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member

Sims 4 Studio does the same thing. I found this thread here: http://sims4studio.com/thread/10196/editing-data-file-name-randomizer
    I've spent most of my morning going through and editing the names. :smile:
  • Options
    15aewar wrote: »

Sims 4 Studio does the same thing. I found this thread here: http://sims4studio.com/thread/10196/editing-data-file-name-randomizer
    I've spent most of my morning going through and editing the names. :smile:

Hello
    It is thoughtful of you to post the link to the thread :)