Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Price of good gaming PC...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Destin2016 @Ravager619 Glad we could help and your both enjoying your computers. :) Op is in Canada which will present a problem. They can't order from cyberpower. The import fees would be too much though cyberpower will ship to Canada. Computers are allot more expensive there than in the USA. They also don't have as many options as we do on where to buy computers.

@Ravager619 SSD will make a big difference if OP is playing the sims 3. The sims 3 really takes advantage of an SSD while the sims 4 does not. I would never play the sims 3 on an HDD again. I have convinced soooo many people to play the sims 3 on SSD and now none of them will go back to playing on HDD. The sims 3 takes forever to load as the saves get larger. On SSD it will load in under 5 minuets on the largest of saves
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited August 2017
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    Ok, cool. Thanks everyone! I would love to go down the route of building my own but I have next to zero knowledge of how to do so and no one in my life that does with enough confidence for me to go that route.
    So I will see. I want to definitely keep it under $1000 CDN. But even that is pushing it.
    And there is a potential of me moving residences soon so I will hold off on a purchase until I know for sure that I'm moving into a new permanent place!

Ugh now I'm dreaming of a beautiful giant monitor with stunning graphics!

In Canada computers are allot more expensive. Under $1000 might be a low budget. Speak to @chesterbigbird

Awe man, really? I mean road trips down south are always fun.. haha!
    Thanks for the info, though. One downside to having and living in a smaller market.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited August 2017
    Ok, cool. Thanks everyone! I would love to go down the route of building my own but I have next to zero knowledge of how to do so and no one in my life that does with enough confidence for me to go that route.
    So I will see. I want to definitely keep it under $1000 CDN. But even that is pushing it.
    And there is a potential of me moving residences soon so I will hold off on a purchase until I know for sure that I'm moving into a new permanent place!

Ugh now I'm dreaming of a beautiful giant monitor with stunning graphics!

In Canada computers are allot more expensive. Under $1000 might be a low budget. Speak to @chesterbigbird

Awe man, really? I mean road trips down south are always fun.. haha!
    Thanks for the info, though. One downside to having and living in a smaller market.

LOL. You would still have to report that computer when you crossed the border and I have no idea what import fees would cost but it might be expensive. Chester can help you when she comes on the forum later. @luthienrising also lives in Canada and can give you more info on what kind of budget you may need

Off the shelf ( custom cost more). 1100 CAD https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230091&cm_re=gtx_1050_ti_desktop-_-83-230-091-_-Product

You can use an HDMI cord and hook this computer up to a flat screen TV if it is 1080p resolution or under. You can buy the monitor later on if you don't want to use the TV permanently as a monitor. I use a TV with my computer tower. I have no room for a monitor. That computer I just posted will play the game on ultra and meets all recommended requirements to play the sims 3 and 4. That computer can have it's hardware switched out or upgraded in the future.

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    So I'm finding that both sims 3 and 4 are lagging severely, and I'm thinking it's my laptop. It's an old Toshiba satellite laptop with qaud core AMD radeon graphics card.

I'm beginning to think about getting a PC. So where should I start my research? What is the most I should spend on a gaming PC? I know there are many discussions on what specs I should be looking at so I don't want to go into that in great detail.. I'm more looking at price. Although if you have suggestions on specs I'm open to that too!

Thanks!

I have a Dell Alienware laptop (3 years old) and we just upgraded the video drivers (didn't have to, it was free from Dell) and I have a SSD and am running TS4 with NO problems. To get into the specifics I'd have to ask my VP IT hubby and it annoys the plum out of him. I know I have the best of the best cause he wants to keep mama happy in her gaming.

Forget to leave out the price - it cost 2K

Alienware is overpriced. Along with Razer. There are other brands that use the same specs and are just as good and are cheaper.

Maybe, but they don't have the cool Alien head on the cover (laptop version), or the cool colors.

Bahaha, seriously?? You're kinda paying at least $500 more just for the alien logo and lights. :D Well, I use a custom laptop brand (Aftershock) and they provide painting custom skins for your laptop which is even more dope in my opinion cuz it can be any design you want, even one you design on your own. :sunglasses: And you only have to pay about $100 more (depending on the design).

Here are some examples:

1_250714030727_Colourshiftxg13withlogo.jpg

221014031012_IMG_3048%20(1).JPG

11082455_611227102341758_8536019023858102999_o.jpg

12829229_755687144562419_8592996347054563574_o.jpg

Nice designs and I like the idea. I couldn't afford that but I found some skins on Amazon that I like for my 17" laptop so might buy one of those to replace the clear plastic one I have kept on to stop scratching the top of it. They are very cheap to buy, under £9 in the uk.

• Options
    ToulouseGooseToulouseGoose Posts: 75 Member
    probly like 5 million dolars
  • Options
    JoshuaSims0JoshuaSims0 Posts: 207 Member
    Amazon?
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @KatyJay88
    I sent you a PM :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    So I'm finding that both sims 3 and 4 are lagging severely, and I'm thinking it's my laptop. It's an old Toshiba satellite laptop with qaud core AMD radeon graphics card.

I'm beginning to think about getting a PC. So where should I start my research? What is the most I should spend on a gaming PC? I know there are many discussions on what specs I should be looking at so I don't want to go into that in great detail.. I'm more looking at price. Although if you have suggestions on specs I'm open to that too!

Thanks!

I have a Dell Alienware laptop (3 years old) and we just upgraded the video drivers (didn't have to, it was free from Dell) and I have a SSD and am running TS4 with NO problems. To get into the specifics I'd have to ask my VP IT hubby and it annoys the plum out of him. I know I have the best of the best cause he wants to keep mama happy in her gaming.

Alienware is overpriced. Along with Razer. There are other brands that use the same specs and are just as good and are cheaper.

Maybe, but they don't have the cool Alien head on the cover (laptop version), or the cool colors.

Just so you know Dell bought Aleniware from its original creators. The quality is not the same as the original computers. Your paying for a name only, nothing more. As I understand the original creators now make Clevo. Anytime you buy a computer off the shelf (Dell Alienware would be one example) you get generic hardware. You buy custom and you will get certified hardware. Certified hardware is always better

Buying an overpriced dell laptop to get stickers? What has this world come to.

It's not a 'sticker' - guess you've never seen one up close and personal. My Alienware is awesome and so is Dell, they stand behind there computers. We live in the middle of no-where Iowa and my hubby has a Dell AW tower and when it needed service they came to us at no charge and serviced it. BOO YAH!!!
  • Options

Thanks!

Just so you know Dell bought Aleniware from its original creators. The quality is not the same as the original computers. Your paying for a name only, nothing more. As I understand the original creators now make Clevo. Anytime you buy a computer off the shelf (Dell Alienware would be one example) you get generic hardware. You buy custom and you will get certified hardware. Certified hardware is always better

It's not a 'sticker' - guess you've never seen one up close and personal. My Alienware is awesome and so is Dell, they stand behind there computers. We live in the middle of no-where Iowa and my hubby has a Dell AW tower and when it needed service they came to us at no charge and serviced it. BOO YAH!!!
    Dell does have good customer service.. however you are paying a premium for it.
    Any gaming laptop has the potential to be "awesome" As long as you do your homework and research beforehand.
    When it comes to desktop.. Custom or building your own will ALWAYS be better. As you are not restricted to what hardware brands you choose and upgrading is no problem at all, Dell towers (same goes for HP Lenovo and Acer) are not built with upgrades in mind and sometimes cannot be upgraded at all.. so it's not future proof.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

Any gaming laptop has the potential to be "awesome" As long as you do your homework and research beforehand.
    When it comes to desktop.. Custom or building your own will ALWAYS be better. As you are not restricted to what hardware brands you choose and upgrading is no problem at all, Dell towers (same goes for HP Lenovo and Acer) are not built with upgrades in mind and sometimes cannot be upgraded at all.. so it's not future proof.

[/quote]

Has it changed then? I haven't bought a tower PC for years but was always upgrading the video card, RAM and hard disks on my HP ones. I came to the limit of my upgrading skills eventually and changed to laptops and buying a new one every few years.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

Thanks!

My hubby is a VP of IT and knows his computers, he likes Dells and gets a discount on them due to doing business with them for 30+ years. BOO YAH double time!!!
  • Options
    Mchap353 wrote: »

Has it changed then? I haven't bought a tower PC for years but was always upgrading the video card, RAM and hard disks on my HP ones. I came to the limit of my upgrading skills eventually and changed to laptops and buying a new one every few years.[/quote]

Some of them come with limited motherboards and allot of them these days are very small and space restricted. And most of them come with basically zero ventilation and cooling. Sticking a high powered card in there (even though probably wouldn't fit) is asking for heat issues.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I like this video "polishing a 🐸🐸🐸🐸" LMAO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPcx9b2MWQ
    In short if your a gamer buy custom or build your own.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    There's some awesome posts in the technical discussions forum about this.