Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited October 2017
    15aewar wrote: »
    I just got done making a video of the latest chapter of the Shadow Over Newcrest. Do any of you guys make videos of your work, or is it just me? :P

they only time I made a video is to be a sort of trailer for my current Gen 7 even though I was only less half way done with Gen 6 at the time.
    https://youtu.be/xFuZhs_VumE
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Other SimLit writers: should I put myself on a writing schedule? I've noticed that a lot of other writers here seem to have a day when they release new stories.

So far, my schedule has been write a chapter one day, do a video the next. Now that I've started a legacy in addition to the Shadow Over Newcrest, I'm not so sure this is the way to go. Thoughts?
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Other SimLit writers: should I put myself on a writing schedule? I've noticed that a lot of other writers here seem to have a day when they release new stories.

So far, my schedule has been write a chapter one day, do a video the next. Now that I've started a legacy in addition to the Shadow Over Newcrest, I'm not so sure this is the way to go. Thoughts?

@15aewar A schedule is a great way to help your readers follow along, plus it's a good challenge as a writer. Once I started grad school, I kind of stopped with a schedule because I got busy and decided to post whenever I could. And then sometimes I just can't wait to release a chapter. With multiple stories, I release whenever, but it makes it tricky for some of my readers to keep up. I plan to return to a schedule when I start back into my original main story line (Kass's series), but I've been releasing chapters for other stories in spurts for a long time so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited October 2017

My recommendation is to write in the manner that works best for you. While @AdamsEve1231 is correct that it's great if you want a challenge or as a way to make it easier for readers to keep up it can also have negative consequences. In my case being on a deadline triggered some extreme anxiety to the extent that I would vanish for months at a time over feeling guilty about missing a deadline or feeling like I wasn't doing well enough and this is something I still haven't gotten fully under control even in my regular life. Obviously you aren't me and you may not struggle with these kinds of issues and if that is the case that is wonderful. So if you feel that you can and want to start scheduling things then as has been mentioned there are plenty of benefits. But always remember that you come first. Wanting your readers happy is nice but if the process makes you miserable it isn't worth it in the end.

I do want to emphasize I'm not saying this to stress you out or anything, many people write on a schedule with no issues at all. It's just that as someone who has been through that I feel it's important to bring up that those problems exist and that if you feel they might be an issue for you it's better to do what's best for you than become a basket case like me.
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

Personally, I would go nuts posting updates if I didn't hold myself to a schedule. I made a schedule to prevent myself from overloading readers, and to get ahead so that I could take breaks and vacations without feeling pressure. However feeling like you have deadlines can be an added stress as well and start to make play feel like work.

Many readers benefit from and appreciate a schedule, though I have never quite felt that way. I think the important thing if you have sporadic updates is ensuring readers that you haven't disappeared. You have a lovely and unique style, and I believe your fans will check back when convenient to look for updates.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    I'm re-doing the pictures (it doesn't make sense for HAM to be wearing the same outfit till the very end) for my latest Swanson Chapter
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @AuroraLockwood Excellent points. I struggle with anxiety too so I know the feeling. I've found my readers are forgiving, more so than I am of myself when it comes to keeping a schedule/not keeping a schedule / posting way too often. I'm glad you know yourself and what you are capable of and what stresses you out. It's absolutely important to take care of yourself as you're writing, even if that means sacrificing regular updates. Do what works best for your mental health. Best wishes. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @15aewar

I'm a definite non-scheduler... In my career, both of my jobs (teaching college English, and being the web editor for a large school district) are schedule-driven.

So in my hobby, which I do to fuel my inspiration and provide creative fulfillment, I want to be free to chase the stories, catch and ride the waves of inspiration, and become as obsessed as I want to!

So that means, sometimes, I'll post two or more chapters a day. Sometimes, I'll put stories on hiatus for months--or years--while they still live on inside of me, and I know I'll return to them at some point.

My loyalty is towards the ideas, the story, and the experience of creating--so having a schedule would derail me and keep me from relaxing.

It is so much of an individual thing!

It seems important to understand one's own style--what helps you be productive, inspired, and stick with it? What's most rewarding?

It seems important to understand what motivates you to write: do you want predominantly to attract and satisfy readers? (If so, schedules can be SO useful! The very popular writers seem to have predictable schedules and stick to them, and their readers seem to love it!) Do you want to predominantly satisfy your creative process? (If so, then it's vital to have the approach to scheduling that works for you first!)

And it's fine to be flexible, too! During some seasons, schedules seem appealing to me--during others, they're confining. It's ok to experiment, try different things, and see what's best for you.

---

By the way, I am loving your story, so I hope you find what works so that you continue for a long, long time! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @15aewar

I'm a definite non-scheduler... In my career, both of my jobs (teaching college English, and being the web editor for a large school district) are schedule-driven.

So in my hobby, which I do to fuel my inspiration and provide creative fulfillment, I want to be free to chase the stories, catch and ride the waves of inspiration, and become as obsessed as I want to!

So that means, sometimes, I'll post two or more chapters a day. Sometimes, I'll put stories on hiatus for months--or years--while they still live on inside of me, and I know I'll return to them at some point.

My loyalty is towards the ideas, the story, and the experience of creating--so having a schedule would derail me and keep me from relaxing.

It is so much of an individual thing!

It seems important to understand one's own style--what helps you be productive, inspired, and stick with it? What's most rewarding?

It seems important to understand what motivates you to write: do you want predominantly to attract and satisfy readers? (If so, schedules can be SO useful! The very popular writers seem to have predictable schedules and stick to them, and their readers seem to love it!) Do you want to predominantly satisfy your creative process? (If so, then it's vital to have the approach to scheduling that works for you first!)

And it's fine to be flexible, too! During some seasons, schedules seem appealing to me--during others, they're confining. It's ok to experiment, try different things, and see what's best for you.

---

By the way, I am loving your story, so I hope you find what works so that you continue for a long, long time! :)

and when you can't narrow it down to one idea you write multiple stories,

okay done picking on sis. i agree the characters are totally motivating my writing.
  • Options
    The Security in China is a bit odd.. when we were flying from I think Shanghai to where we were suppose to go Ying Ching they made such a fussy about the lithium battery charger for my camera being in my carry-on that the next day after our plane got diverted to another town (Wuhan).. we put the battery into my checked suitcase and the Wuhan's checked suitcase security folks took it.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @MadameLee Oh no. That's frustrating.
    [
    and when you can't narrow it down to one idea you write multiple stories,

okay done picking on sis. i agree the characters are totally motivating my writing.

@friendfan367 Haha... no kidding. I have a bunch of them too. Not quite as many as CT though.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 @CathyTea I think my favorite thing to do is to start new stories! I always have intentions to go back. I was going to say "but" but it's more, "yeah, I have intentions." :lol:

@MadameLee When I went to China it was during the Swine Flu epidemic in the US so they were VERY cautious about us. We were supposed to report if we had any fever, sniffles, etc. when we filled out our customs cards and our entire group (my college band) was like "nope! no illness here!' ...Except for one DUMB trumpet player. This is the same guy that brought SEVEN pocket knives to the Statue of Liberty... We were thankful he didn't get detained in China. :neutral:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    I thought I'd share the latest chapter of The Shadow Over Newcrest here. (Mostly because it took me more than two days to write.)
    Ru8sjmo.png?1
    Do you want to know why Mortimer is imitating a zombie? Of course you do!
    The latest chapter of the Shadow Over Newcrest is here! It's the longest one to date at 1100 words.
    https://rendorasims.wordpress.com/chapters/prologue-chapter-vii/
  • Options
    I thought I should share this story from my China trip. I don't remember which Chinese city we're in at the time. But anyway we were on our way to lunch and our local guide said that the restaurant had Western (ie sitting) toilets) on the 3rd floor. Well we ate the food and Mom and I were going to go to the washroom but on our way to the elevators we bumped into another (woman) tourist from our group and she said that they (she and some other women) had walked all over the 3rd floor and couldn't find the washroom and all of the rooms were locked so they had to use the washroom on the floor we're on (squats). So as soon as we got back to the ground and our local guide came in..I told her that there was no Western toilets and she asked the manager and (according to my mom) the manager was very surprised since he said that they had been opened.

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Similla_Similla_ Posts: 37 Member
    hiya guys again :) is it okay to post here links to the story im writing even if im not allowed to post on this site yet? im about to post my first chapter of my new story and i really would like to hear some feedback x
    tumblr_inline_ozdhvnXqXe1v8iihq_500.png
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Hi @Similla_ congrats on the new story! I can't wait to check it out. I'm cool with posting links but I only speak for myself :D

I wanted to drop by this thread to say hi and share a little of what's been going on with my sim stories. I'm sure people who read my stories have noticed the lack of updates lately. I tend to get writers block and take breaks from my stories. I usually get back into them after a little while. But this time was different. I not only was blocked but I didn't really want to continue with my stories. I think the reason for this was because I wasn't playing the game for fun anymore. I was setting up shots, constantly pausing my game to get the right shot. The flow and ease that usually came with playing was lost. Now I love my stories and most important I love my readers but if I'm not enjoying what I'm doing that's not fair to anyone. So I took a break. During that break I just played the game. I started new saves with no intentions of taking screenshots or creating some story within my game. Specifically I've been playing the Not So Berry Challenge. It's been great. I've fallen back in love with game and are discovering new things I never noticed before (like sack lunches...which are beyond adorable). And the funny thing it's made me want to write again, to continue my stories. I'm excited again about them and that feels amazing.

I know that this was a bit rambling but I wanted to put this out there for anyone who is struggling with their stories. Maybe you are like I was and done with writing. What I'll say to you is take a true break and just play the game!
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    > @swcheppes said:
    > Hi @Similla_ congrats on the new story! I can't wait to check it out. I'm cool with posting links but I only speak for myself :D
    >
    > I wanted to drop by this thread to say hi and share a little of what's been going on with my sim stories. I'm sure people who read my stories have noticed the lack of updates lately. I tend to get writers block and take breaks from my stories. I usually get back into them after a little while. But this time was different. I not only was blocked but I didn't really want to continue with my stories. I think the reason for this was because I wasn't playing the game for fun anymore. I was setting up shots, constantly pausing my game to get the right shot. The flow and ease that usually came with playing was lost. Now I love my stories and most important I love my readers but if I'm not enjoying what I'm doing that's not fair to anyone. So I took a break. During that break I just played the game. I started new saves with no intentions of taking screenshots or creating some story within my game. Specifically I've been playing the Not So Berry Challenge. It's been great. I've fallen back in love with game and are discovering new things I never noticed before (like sack lunches...which are beyond adorable). And the funny thing it's made me want to write again, to continue my stories. I'm excited again about them and that feels amazing.
    >
    > I know that this was a bit rambling but I wanted to put this out there for anyone who is struggling with their stories. Maybe you are like I was and done with writing. What I'll say to you is take a true break and just play the game!

thank you. i just wasn't sure if it's allowed here or not and i don't mean to spam this thread, just one time link :)
    it's great to hear that you have gained your love for the story writing back. I have experienced a writers block and I know how you feel. I'll definitely check out your stories, i love reading other works, they inspire me :)
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options
    GermanSimmerGermanSimmer Posts: 10 New Member
    @Similla_ Hi! It's so nice that you have started a story. I hope you are having fun with it.

Hello everyone :)
    This thread seems really nice. I hope you are all doing well.
    I'm new to the forum and currently planning my first story. But since I'm away from home right now, I cannot play the Sims, but I am researching and reading and watching every kind of Decade/History Based Story or Let's Play that I can find. My favourite right now is Kristal Sims Let's Play on Youtube of the Decades Challenge.
    Do you know of anyone wo actually finished the Decades challenge? (And has written a Story or released a let's play)

Also I'm missing my wonderful cats and humans at home. <3
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @Similla_ Hi! It's so nice that you have started a story. I hope you are having fun with it.

I'm new to the forum and currently planning my first story. But since I'm away from home right now, I cannot play the Sims, but I am researching and reading and watching every kind of Decade/History Based Story or Let's Play that I can find. My favourite right now is Kristal Sims Let's Play on Youtube of the Decades Challenge.
    Do you know of anyone wo actually finished the Decades challenge? (And has written a Story or released a let's play)

Welcome @GermanSimmer ! I'm glad you stopped off here to say hi and tell us about your first story. It sounds neat! And I hope you get g home soon so you can see your cats and humans! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @GermanSimmer Hi! I'm very excited about it and can't wait for everyone to read it :) I am new here too so another Hi from a noobie too :D I also enjoy watching Sims 4 stuff on youtube, esp the let's builds cos I love building in sims myself and I always can learn something new :)
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options

Welcome @GermanSimmer ! It's always exciting planning your first story! I actually haven't heard of the Decades challenge, I'll have to look into it.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    @Similla_ Noobie high five to you!

@Karilan Thank you, that is so true. I have a huge folder full of research and 5 pages scribbled in my notebook. Can't wait to get home and do some playtesting for my ideas. In short the decades challenge is some sort of legacy but you play through time from 1890 to the 2010s. (with some rules in place to make in period appropriate, e.g. no electricity)
  • Options
    @Similla_ Noobie high five to you!

@Karilan Thank you, that is so true. I have a huge folder full of research and 5 pages scribbled in my notebook. Can't wait to get home and do some playtesting for my ideas. In short the decades challenge is some sort of legacy but you play through time from 1890 to the 2010s. (with some rules in place to make in period appropriate, e.g. no electricity)

Ooooh that is so interesting! There was a discussion going on the other day about acknowledging time passing in a legacy. I've had ideas brewing of starting a legacy in the 1800's. I will definitely check out the Decades challenge then, and look forward to yours! Do you have a blog set up yet or are you planning to do your writing here on the forums?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    I'm planning to do a wordpress blog for it as I am comfortable with that platform. But it will probably take me another month before I actually start posting. I'll post it when the first chapter is up :)
  • Options
    I'm planning to do a wordpress blog for it as I am comfortable with that platform. But it will probably take me another month before I actually start posting. I'll post it when the first chapter is up :)

Awesome, keep us posted!
    D2vFwMN.jpg