Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovacy Challenge - a new (and short!) challenge.

Comments

• Options
    fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    Thanks everyone, I really do enjoy these challenges. The part I think I find hardest is not registering for self employment. it was always my sims main source of income before this. also one of these challenges I would love to be able to complete the caregivers Ltw. I kinda feel sorry for them in situations like this where they don't really get many of their own wishes fulfilled as you tend to focus on the kids.
    well now that the real kids are in bed I guess I can fire up my game and work on my gift for awhile.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Woah, I somehow missed the story update earlier. I think I have been too busy and was distracted. Great job on your story @fleshjenn with all those travel adventures and romances!
  • Options
    @ciane lol thanks, yeah with two large families on the island and not many other prospects, I'm a little worried the small town might end up with each household related to each other. I am planning on bringing in marriage prospects when the children reach young adult to keep fresh blood lines.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    That's part of why I seeded a few empty houses on the 20x30 lots and let sp fill them in.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    Chapter 11 is done - it was getting hopelessly long, so I decided to make it two shorter chapters! Link here:
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-hutchins-and-mojica-renovacy.html
    Hope everyone else has better weather than we're getting - cold and wet again! Where is spring?
  • Options
    I think it's finally Spring here, but I could be wrong. We have real roller coaster temps that go up and down as much s 30 degrees a day.

Loved your update.
  • Options
    @SamelaRita I really like where you are going with the story, and I love the movie reference. It's one I watch with our eldest.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Next chapter - and no, it's not the last one either! Next one will definitely wrap it all up though. Link here:
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-hutchins-and-mojica-renovacy_16.html
  • Options
    I love seeing all the different directions in which the family members are heading. The colt is pretty awesome too!
  • Options
    Pesky ninja onion cutters.

Loved the update.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn "Pesky ninja onion cutters?" Is this some strange oath? Does it have deep meaning to it? Is it cultural? Am I confused by it? That one's a yes, anyway!
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm still around. just caught up on the last 2 updates @SamelaRita , quite emotional. looks like a spin off might be in the works?
    the last 2 weeks I have constantly felt rushed, but hopefully that is all done for now and I can spend more time playing my game again.
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Sneaky tears I say!

Yes this ^^^^^^

Checking in from the road. Made it from near Chicago to Lincoln Nebraska today.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @fleshjenn Yes, there might be a spin-off in the works possibly...as long as Mamadragon's happy with that: they were her characters to start with. Glad to hear that life's calming down a bit for you!
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn I got my atlas out and looked at your journey - that's a lot of America you've crossed (and now I know where Nebraska is too). Knew where Chicago was as I'd looked that up when we realised we'd be going there next year. Evanston, actually - my husband's got a conference there and I'm going too.
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    What’s a renovacy? And who might like it?

It’s a renovation-legacy. The aim is to renovate the dilapidated living quarters your sims have found themselves in. Before the youngest child becomes an adult.
    The rules are simple.
    Set ages to default mode.
    If you have seasons, set each season to either 7 days, or 3 days if you want to play with short years.
    No money cheats.
    The family starts with no money at all. If they have any, take it off them!
    No adult can have a career or profession: nothing with a proper salary. They can make money fishing, collecting and selling things, gardening, playing for tips, sculpting, inventing and selling your products at the consignment store, dumpster diving…but no jobs (though there can be an exception for one part-time job if it’s essential to the story.)
    Children can sell baked goods or lemonade, if you buy the stand and a cooker.
    Teens can have a part-time job.

Children have to be grade A students as soon as possible, and stay on the honour roll. You don’t want social services investigating your home life, and seeing the state of your home.
    Family relationships have to be good too, for the same reason – if they start off poor, then you have to improve them as a priority.

The renovating rules.
    All flooring and walls have to be papered over – you can’t sell the floor or wall covering that’s already there.
    You can repaint things to make them look better, but you have to pay 25 simoleons for everything you paint – make a donation on the mailbox.
    Your aim is for everyone to have their own bedroom (spouses can share, and babies or toddlers can go in with someone else), with a bed, curtains, bedside table, lamp and dresser or desk or toybox.
    Bathroom/toilet goal is one between two. At least one with bath and one with shower.
    Kitchen is fridge, cooker, sink, three counter units, lighting, and clock, picture and bench accessory.
    Dining room/area is table, enough chairs for everyone plus a visitor, rug, lighting, two pictures .
    Sitting room is enough comfy seating for everyone, coffee table, two plants, lighting, two pictures and either television or stereo.
    For people who like scoring things, you can score the rooms: add up the points on the furniture for environment, energy, comfort, fun and stress relief. Hunger, bladder and hygiene don’t count. A total of 10 gives you a level 1 room, 20 a level 2 and so on.
    Garden area: if there are plants here that you want to get rid of, you can sell them, but you can only spend the money on fences or walls or other plants. The goal for the garden is to have it fenced and gated (to keep the children safe). You can score a garden like the rooms though, by adding things to it.

Who might like it?
    Someone who wants a shortish challenge. The house has to be finished by the time the youngest child is an adult.
    Someone who likes building, creating families and starting off a story.

Building rules.
    You can make this as hard as you like, except that each house must start with a toilet and shower, some means of cooking (can be a fire pit) and somewhere for everyone to sleep. This can be a sleeping bag on the floor. Any babies or toddlers have to have a cot each and one potty. After that, it’s totally up to you! You can make it as ugly as you like, as run-down as you like…the sleeping area has to have a roof, but nothing else does. You can make the furniture as outrageous as you want…just go wild!

Creating a family rules.
    One adult or teen must have the Good trait so that they can make donations on the mailbox.
    The family can be as hard to play as you like, and as big as you like. There must be one adult, though, and if the adult is a grandparent, then there has to be one teen. I quite like dressing them in dreadful clothes. And they can’t have better ones until they can afford a dresser!
    Give it a starting story and post it for someone else to download and play!
    Add it at the bottom of this post, if you like...

Links to mine: (more coming later as I get them moved onto my story site). These are the cc free and pattern-free ones. The non-cc and pattern-free ones are in later posts.
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/the-newton-brown-renovacy.html - by SamelaRita
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/the-mcphail-renovacy.html - by SamelaRita
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/luke-and-lucy-renovacy.html - by SamelaRita
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/the-warehouse-renovacy.html - by SamelaRita
    http://samelasstories.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/the-orphanage-renovacy.html - by SamelaRita

The Mojica-Hutchins renovacy by Mmdrgntobldrgn. Lot here: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9194494
    Back story here: http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges/hutchins-and-mojica-renovation-challenge

Sassafras by ADWilson
    https://adwilson1991.wordpress.com/sassafras/

I realise that it is very long but I needed the whole quote. Would you mind if I reworded a bit of this for sims 4? I would gladly show it too you and give you the credit, after all it is your challenge. It wouldn't take much, we just don't have seasons yet.
  • Options
    @CalebFillion No, I wouldn't mind that! Yes, do show it to me: for one thing, I'd be interested in the changes you need to make for Sims 4.
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    @CalebFillion No, I wouldn't mind that! Yes, do show it to me: for one thing, I'd be interested in the changes you need to make for Sims 4.

I will get to it either tomorrow or Friday. I am on holiday for two weeks so have lots of time for it. Thanks and will do.

• Options

I will get to it either tomorrow or Friday. I am on holiday for two weeks so have lots of time for it. Thanks and will do.

One possible change between 3 and 4 is that teens don't need an adult in the house. So for a family like the one I made it could have been Veriato & his younger siblings, no aunt & cousins.

One thing that will be interesting is how run down can 4 get without cc if you don't have all of the packs. Along with whatever other game mechanics changes.

A sim can make a good living off of collecting, but painting you pay a fee for each canvas.

@SamelaRita by all means feel free to do a spin off.

I'm in Salt Lake City Utah tonight. If the weather holds I'll be back in California tomorrow night, and my own bed.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Your travels seem to be going well @Mmdrgntobldrgn. I hope the weather holds for you. We have rain coming here tomorrow (and maybe later today).

I've got the build ready for my challenge and the idea. I've still to execute it.
  • Options
    Time flies, huh?

Here's my twist on the reno challenge. I hope you like it.

Pics and write-up:
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/container

Lot:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9210495

I'll be making a sim and playing out a story after the gift exchange. And, I do want to play out Addy's reno too.
  • Options
    @ciane interesting twist on the challenge, and I think I know which sim will get the lot. I love that I'll be able to drop this on a 20x30 lot. :)

Sadly it will be a while before I get to it.

Tomorrow I will spend the day with Natalya while I do laundry.

I gifted the grandkids kazoos today, lol. :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @ciane This looks like a great twist on a renovacy! Can I create the people who are going to move in or do they have to be EA people already present in the town? I know I can't move them in until my original sim can invite them...I have some fun ideas for wacky characters though! And the chaos they cause when they get together...Love the build, and I've already got ideas for what the owner of that container should be like.
  • Options
    Feel free to create your own move-in characters as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    very interesting challenge @ciane. having to add a 4x10 rectangle each time may make it a little hard to design around but I have ideas.

I am curious about placing an ad for a roommate. since they will pay rent this way, it could count as an income source. and since the roommate is an npc you cant use them to gather up a bunch of collectables.

lol i also have kind of a silly question for everyone, is there a trick or special cheat code to getting a house into a rundown state. or do you just move in a bunch of clumsy slobs and let them trash the place?
    Post edited by fleshjenn on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top