Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

June 2017 Update?

k_gennak_genna Posts: 160 Member
Just got a notice for an update for ts2.... Anyone know anything about this? Origin is set to update on its own, and I noticed it just updated. Wasn't a large file so....Again, does anyone know what this is about?

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2017
    I never know what Origin is doing with their updates, but I know for sure that they just had one not too long ago. Didn't even know what that one was for.
  • Options
    KishiNova12KishiNova12 Posts: 100 Member
    they broke one of my mods T_T
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Nope I don't have Origin installed, no way I want it to mess around with my game. It is fine the way it is, it doesn't need there updates. They say it is a unsupported game, they should leave it alone!

@KishiNova12 ??? Seriously?? :o OMG soooooo glad I don't update.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    Are you sure it's from June ? When i had install the game back in Spetember (i think) 2016 origin has also noticed me about an update. Why would they make a new update without saying what this is for ?
  • Options
    Are you sure it's from June ? When i had install the game back in Spetember (i think) 2016 origin has also noticed me about an update. Why would they make a new update without saying what this is for ?

The very first update, soon after release, was because some peoples games would not by-pass the launcher, and they couldn't play, well not without jumping through hoops, if you knew which hoops to jump through. I don't like the idea of them "updating" things without saying what it is. I chucked Origin as soon as I heard they wanted to "update" 3. Nope, nope, nope.

@Rflong7 I wouldn't be surprised if they did try that eventually. **shutters**
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    It could be so that the game works with Windows 10 Creators update? I complained that SimCity Complete didn't work with it (plus lot of others in the Origin forum) and later got an update which sorted it. Maybe EA are catching up with it. Sims 2 works better for me in Windows 10 (Creators' edition) now.
    Avast antivirus shields needed a shutdown and emergency update too for some games to run.
  • Options
    Well, they could at least explain. There is no way that i'll update my game without knowing anything (if its for win 10, i don't need this update since, now i'm playing on my desktop with win 8.1)
    Moreover, most of the mod i have aren't supported any more by the the creator, so if the mod breaks i won't be able to use it any more, and i love these mods too much. I definitively need info to see if the update worth it.
    A guru/mod could have pop up here and make a new thread were they explain what this update is for.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I also don't know why Spore is being downloaded again when I had it and its expansion already. I am finding that checking for updates has to be done every time I sign on nowadays. I also cannot understand why "Theme Hospital," as old as the hills, will run happily in its' DOS box but SimCity Societies refuses to run in compatible mode at all.

• Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Yeah, I hate having Origin running in the background, so I use the launcher that came with the game.

It would be convenient if it were a new game that probably needed to be patched, but TS2 is unsupported at this point and anything that they change is going to break your game in some small way if you have a full suite of mods and hacks to patch the bugs that came with it.

And as for tying a game like this to Origin? Dear EA, I for one have an absolute need to not be forced to play with an internet connection on, and believe me that after 10+ years of playing your games, I don't trust your updates and would rather just play my game in peace. Also, if you actually want people to use Origin? Don't make it give people Securom, which you should have learned way back in 2012, lol.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    what if they were trying to make it so that sims 2 would run on the newest window and through origin so that they could start offering it to buy through origin like people have been wanting? I know it sounds far fetched, but if they were, I wouldn't be upset with them trying to improve things.
  • Options
    what if they were trying to make it so that sims 2 would run on the newest window and through origin so that they could start offering it to buy through origin like people have been wanting? I know it sounds far fetched, but if they were, I wouldn't be upset with them trying to improve things.

Naw if they started to sell it again, they would have to support it. That is not their style. Once a game goes unsupported, they never go back to it. No remakes, not new stuff, they just throw it to the side. They wouldn't invest the money.
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    So wait what's this update all about?
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I would be wary of anything to do with Origin. Remember the problems that some TS3 players had a while back with the 1.69 patch?

Avoid Origin like a plague!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    cleo00 wrote: »
    So wait what's this update all about?

No clue! That should make everyone very uncomfortable. :|
  • Options
    k_gennak_genna Posts: 160 Member
    Still no idea what it was for. My origin keeps games up to date automatically, and checks every time I sign into my account, which is at least once a day. So yes, it's for June 17.
    They aren't going to sell it again, since it was given away, which is why mine is linked to my origin. Got the extra packs that weren't my gaming style, just because I'm a hoarder and NEEDED them all. Lol.

I'll message some of the bigger names and see if anyone could find out for those of us who still play. Will update again if I can find anything out through those routes.
  • Options
    I'm still glad that i don't use origin to play sims 2, but i really want to know what this update is for. But i don't know where to ask, SGDrake maybe ?
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited July 2017
    Mine wasn't updated, I still use Store Edition which is detected as more recent than UC.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Did anyone find out if this tied TS2 to Origin like they did with TS3's 1.69 patch? :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I forgot all about this. But I've played since then and nothing appears different/changed in any way.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I forgot all about this. But I've played since then and nothing appears different/changed in any way.

You don't have to log into Origin to play TS2UC do you? I will uninstall it if they do that. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

You don't have to log into Origin to play TS2UC do you? I will uninstall it if they do that. :/

super-cute-bunny-waving-smiley-emoticon.gif No I don't think so. I don't have Origin installed, but people I know have it installed don't have to go through it to play. I have no idea what this update was, but it didn't seem to change anything about how the game works. Not that I heard of anyway.
  • Options
    I hope they will never tied TH2 to Origin.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

I dont. I just right click on the icon, run it with my nvidia card, and it starts.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2017
    The only files which were recently modified are :
    • Hotel01_Permanent.package ( EP6 Bon Voyage )
    • Dorm_05_Permanent.package ( EP1 University )
    • EPText.package ( SP9 Mansion & Garden Stuff )
    • Neighborhood.package ( SP9 Mansion & Garden Stuff )

I asked to Windows 10 to search in TS2UC folder the files changed during this year.