Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are the 3 Best and Worst Sims Expansions of All Time and why?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    edited March 2017
    Here are my favorites:
    The Sims 1
    Makin’ Magic
    Unleashed
    Vacation

The Sims 2
    University
    Pets
    Apartment Life

The Sims 3
    Generations
    World Adventures
    Pets

Aaand my least favorites:
    The Sims
    Hot Date
    House Party
    Superstar

The Sims 2
    Nightlife
    Glamour Life Stuff

The Sims 3

Supernatural
    Late Night

Basically I dislike anything to do with parties. I have fewer ones for The Sims 3 that I dislike simply because I had gotten over my loyalty to the game and didn't buy every single EP just because, so I don't own a lot of the stuff packs, nor the last two EPs. The Sims 2 is still my reigning queen. <3 I haven't added anything about The Sims 4 since I only have City Living and the kids SP, so I can't really say much.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    snarkles wrote: »

The Sims
    Hot Date
    House Party
    Superstar

Opinions are opinions, but I can't help but ask....You didn't put Livin' Large...?

That's one I would debate putting on the worst of all time just cause it lacked direction, but I also feel it a bit unfair to put it on my list since it was legit the first Expansion ever. In the context of Sims 1 however I'd absolutely list it as the worst.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    kurdanevakurdaneva Posts: 128 Member
    While I've played all the sims, I can't remember if I used any during the original game, so I'll be going based off the last 3.

fav.
    Sims 2, Open for Business. I loved, LOVED, having a store and a home in one. It led to some of the most fun saves I had, plus the toys and flowers were beautiful. The broken toys were great and it felt like it ran better than 4. Getting a single sale in 4 makes me beat my head into a wall! Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that include restaurants? I loved the restaurants they had, not the mention you could allow it to run in your absence (any store) and still make money.

Sims 3, Ambitions. I thought this pack was stupid. Why would I want to go to their job? That's so dumb. My friend had it, gave it to me, i put it because I wanted to be a 'freelance gardener'. Jokes on me. 8 hours later, I'm playing a firefighter and laughing my bum off because I'm having such a great time. Fixing up the truck, HAVING THE TRUCK AT HOME!! Flirting by saying ' I'm a fire fighter ; )) " my sim even showed up to a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 wedding in his shades and bright yellow pants. I. loved. it. Messing up makeup and making them a clown? I loved it. Getting tattoos? Amazing - I wasn't as big a fan of the ghost hunting or the interior one. It frustrated it. But, the freelance working from home was BIG deal for me, since I had several mods to make 'farm' like homes.

Least fav..

Sims 3, University Life. Compared to 2, I just didn't enjoy it? I liked GOING to class with my sim, that was fun, but it just felt lacking? I miss my Chinese take out, the random guys running around in togas, the secret groups. Honestly, I wouldn't say it was THE WORST, but fr me, it wasn't the best of the bunch. While 3 UL did offer some amazing aspects, it still felt lacking. I loved the college parties in 2 far more, but there were parts in 3 I liked ( I did like the nerds/rebels/jocks and selecting credits) College Rock was also my favourite station by far.

Sims3, Showtime, ONLY because, it felt like 'late night 2.0', but that's all. i just truly wished it was meshed together, rather than feeling like buying the same pack. twice. Now, there were fun aspects! but, really, it just felt like things they forgot to add into late night.

I really didn't hate any of the EP. Just stuff packs. but WOW did I hate the fame in 3's Late Night. My poor sim was a stay at home mom who wrote like, 4 books. Ended up dating a guy I didn't realize was 4? 5? stars famous. Paparazzi were ALWAYS around her house and bothering her in town. It was super, super annoying. Then, because she was famous, HER SON was famous, and all her children, and all her friends.

very. annoying. A cool feature, but wow. wow.
  • Options
    snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    snarkles wrote: »

The Sims
    Hot Date
    House Party
    Superstar

Opinions are opinions, but I can't help but ask....You didn't put Livin' Large...?

That's one I would debate putting on the worst of all time just cause it lacked direction, but I also feel it a bit unfair to put it on my list since it was legit the first Expansion ever. In the context of Sims 1 however I'd absolutely list it as the worst.

To be perfectly honest, I barely remember it. I was fairly young when it was released, and I remember getting it, but I remember the other expansions more. I think that one just kind of blended in for me.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    How in the world did this get put into "Off-Topic"? From TS4 General (where it probably should be) to TS4 Feedback and now to Off-Topic. Even the forum mods are getting in on the shutting down of discussions they don't like.

I wonder if everyone's Top 3 Best was TS4 packs if they would have moved it? That was rhetorical of course...

Was just wondering the same. I'll admit I wondered where to post it too since it covers all games and there isn't a "Sims Series General Discussion," but it looks like my thread is going on a world tour and trying to collect visa stamps. I'm hoping for the Speculation and Rumor stamp or Sims 4 Expansion stamp next.

Doubt it's malicious though, I think there's just disagreement how to categorize it.

I'm disappointed that this thread got moved, because I wanted to read more replies. I'm drawn towards the speculation stamp, so I'm going to rewrite my list (original on page 1).

The Best
    1. The Sims 4 Pets
      Finally they got the pets right!!! Sure they left the horses out, but it didn't matter to me because they added them in a GP. The pets now are as the great companion they should instead of being a nuisance like in earlier games. I really think these pets are the cutests we have seen although they could have added more fur colours.
    2. The Sims Makin Magic
      I'm really sad to see Makin Magic fall down on the list, but on the other hand it's a good thing, right? It's still in the top three and it means it's amazing. It seems that supernaturals for TS4 will be in GPs, so there is no competition in the EP category. You can check out my previous list to see what I wrote about Makin Magic.
    3. The Sims 2 Seasons
      I really wished I could have added another TS4 pack here, but Seasons is hard to beat. Even if they patched in some weather elements, I still think that the customisability and the nature's rhythm that I mentioned in my previous listing was much better executed in TS2.

The Worst
    1. The Sims 4 Get to Work
      This will hold it's place as the worst EP ever, because they never got around fixing the problems with retail. It is really hard for me to accpet that the first ever TS4 EP was like this. Please see my earlier list to see more details of what I wrote.
    2. The Sims 4 Entrepreneur
      I wished they would have gotten this pack right, because it was a nice concept in TS2 Open for business. But it just came with so many limitations and didn't work well with rotational play, so that's why it ended up on my list. I really wouldn't have bought it at all if I knew how little it would add to my gameplay.
    3. The Sims 2 University
      This was on my previous list and I'm moving it down to the last place. Glad they got the university life handled better in TS4, so at least there was some improvement to be made.
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    I'm disappointed that this thread got moved, because I wanted to read more replies. I'm drawn towards the speculation stamp, so I'm going to rewrite my list (original on page 1).

The Best
    1. The Sims 4 Pets
      Finally they got the pets right!!! Sure they left the horses out, but it didn't matter to me because they added them in a GP. The pets now are as the great companion they should instead of being a nuisance like in earlier games. I really think these pets are the cutests we have seen although they could have added more fur colours.
    2. The Sims Makin Magic
      I'm really sad to see Makin Magic fall down on the list, but on the other hand it's a good thing, right? It's still in the top three and it means it's amazing. It seems that supernaturals for TS4 will be in GPs, so there is no competition in the EP category. You can check out my previous list to see what I wrote about Makin Magic.
    3. The Sims 2 Seasons
      I really wished I could have added another TS4 pack here, but Seasons is hard to beat. Even if they patched in some weather elements, I still think that the customisability and the nature's rhythm that I mentioned in my previous listing was much better executed in TS2.

The Worst
      This will hold it's place as the worst EP ever, because they never got around fixing the problems with retail. It is really hard for me to accpet that the first ever TS4 EP was like this. Please see my earlier list to see more details of what I wrote.
      I wished they would have gotten this pack right, because it was a nice concept in TS2 Open for business. But it just came with so many limitations and didn't work well with rotational play, so that's why it ended up on my list. I really wouldn't have bought it at all if I knew how little it would add to my gameplay.
    3. The Sims 2 University
      This was on my previous list and I'm moving it down to the last place. Glad they got the university life handled better in TS4, so at least there was some improvement to be made.

Did I was in a coma for a few months, and just woke up?

I'm pretty sure Pets and Entrepreneur aren't EP for the Sims 4 or at least not yet, how can you put packs that doesn't exist, that you haven't played on the list? Did you traveled to the future or something? It's like if I said I love bananas and hate apples, but never tasted them, and have just tried oranges.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »

The Best
    1. The Sims 4 Pets
    2. The Sims Makin Magic
    3. The Sims 2 Seasons

The Worst
    3. The Sims 2 University

Did I was in a coma for a few months, and just woke up?

I'm pretty sure Pets and Entrepreneur aren't EP for the Sims 4 or at least not yet, how can you put packs that doesn't exist, that you haven't played on the list? Did you traveled to the future or something? It's like if I said I love bananas and hate apples, but never tasted them, and have just tried oranges.

I'm not sure if you read my post with thought (and the post I quoted). I said I'm writing speculation ;)
  • Options
    Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    The Best

!. Sims 2 Open for business: I could be a crazy old lady selling rocks dug up from my backyard, and somehow this business is a highly praised establishment. You could sell anything, you could own a resteraunt that sold only ramen and jello. I loved the custoization and just messing around with this.

2. Sims 3 pets: first expansion I bought. I love animals. What put this over Sims 2 pets is that I can control my cat and dog. Also horses.

3. Sims 3 supernatural: Aside from the Zombie 🐸🐸🐸🐸, I loved this pack. I loved witches, fairies, the clothes the items the alchemy, the town just everything.
    4.Honorable mention to Seasons (sims 2 and 3,) and Sims 2 nightlife and Sims 3 latenight. Weather and changing seasons makes you feel like time is progressing. And its cozy. And both night time packs added sooooooooo freacking much in terms of actvities and new skills and careers.

The Worst
    3. Sims 3 showtime: Bleh. While the Karaoke was cute and the genie was silly and I did enjoy the magician a bit, the rest was bleh. I never completed the careers in this do the SImport, I didn't like the town and It really bothered me that I couldn't have a singer in my band (I mean how silly is that? A singer accompanying a the musicains on stage? Bolderdash!) And the whole pack feels like this is stuff THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WITH LATE NIGHT! I honestly debated buying this at all, but did anyway if only to complete the sims 3. I only kept this in for the CAS items and Genie.

2. Sims 4 CL/GTW/Get Together: Tie because while I do enjoy some aspects of them and they have their moments they feel incomplete. A bit rushed even. There is a great idea behind them, but the execution just doesnt cut it. and theres not enough of CONTENT. I feel like i'm getting a sugar cookie when I want a Steak. Tastey for a moment but leaves me hungry

1. Sims 2 Freetime: I was boooooring. Just a few new Activities. Nah. I'm good.
  • Options
    WonderfulKillJoy123WonderfulKillJoy123 Posts: 42 Member
    BEST

3. City Living
    2. Vampires
    1. Supernatural Sims 3

WORST

3. Get to Work
    2. Outdoor retreat
    1. Showtime Sims 3
    Jayna
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    The worst:
    Sims 3 - Fast Lane Stuff - Yawn!
    Sims 2 - Mansion & Garden Stuff - Can't remember why but I remember disliking it.
    Sims 2 and 4 - Open For Business, I'm not into running a business.

I like everything else
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Laughaminute89Laughaminute89 Posts: 15 New Member
  • Options
    Sorry not sure what happen to my comment, I'm still new :/
  • Options
    But pretty much I agree with you @Misa_wants_Pepsi and feel the new expansions feel rushed due to their lack of content. If you think about the amount of stuff you would get in the Sims 1-3 expansions in comparison to the Sim 4 there is a substantial difference. But I do love over all the smoothness of the Sims 4 and hope some fan favorites (i.e. Pets, seasons, and magic) make a come back.
  • Options
    Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    @Laughaminute89 Yes. I honestly prefer most of the game packs they've released then the actual expansions. I just hope Pets, Seasons, Magic, and University gets the right treatment.
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited March 2017
    From memory, Makin' Magic AMAZED ME as a child! xD My other two favourites are definitely World Adventures and Into the Future for TS3! They were all so beautifully in-depth that they were 100% worth what you paid (I admit that I'm completely neglecting TS2, but I have a lot of suppressed memories from around the time I played it, so I can't actually remember any specific expansion I enjoyed)!

My worst expansions, going only by expansions, are definitely Get to Work, Get to Work, and MORE GET TO WORK! SUCH A WASTE OF £30; IT'S BEEN NEARLY TWO YEARS AND I'M STILL MIFFED OFF AT THE AMOUNT (or lack thereof) THAT CAME WITH IT! LITERALLY NO DEPTH OR REPLAY VALUE IN MY OPINION!
  • Options
    OcrasetOcraset Posts: 15 New Member
    i Loved them all tbh. except katy perrys stuff pack that can go die.
  • Options
    Mo0nLight321Mo0nLight321 Posts: 428 Member
    Best:

1. The Sims Makin' Magic
    2. The Sims 2/3 Seasons
    3. The Sims Superstar/Hot date
    4. The Sims 2 Bon Voyage

Worst:

1. The Sims 3 Ambitions
    2. The Sims 3 Generations
    3. The Sims 4 City Living
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2017
    Haven't played other iterations longer enough to give reviews, and while though I still haven't play TS2 long enough through, I'm just gonna rate 3 favourable expansions from that iteration. This list may be subjected to be change over time in a new comment after gaining much experence with all the expansion packs, so that my review isn't bias and left as semi valid.

TOP 3 BEST TS2 EPS
    3. Freetime - Whilst I haven't tried all the hobbies, I did like playing since it added TON of activities for my pixel people to do. Want to put your cooking talent to use? Go into competition. Want children to do something practical outside alone? Have them play football/soccer or basketball. It also helps creates a nice bonding experence! Grandparents are bored? Given them two respective activities: restore cars and sew clothes. I just gotta love how it provides activities for all ages to participate in. Not complaining that the base game lacks of family/leisure play, since it doesn't, but I'm just pleased on how this EP expands onto that aspect even more. And NPC aging is quite balance: rather of that (stupid) story progression, they allowed us to CHOOSE what sim to age along, so that it simulates the synch age for storytelling or "immersion satisfication" purpose (though, overthat I would have prefer that devs made a nerfed storyprogression option, where only non-resided sims in the neighborhood age per world. Still, better than nothing).
    2. Apartment Life - Two things I like about it: New living space and fleshed out lifestate. Like Island Paradise for TS3, it provides a new way of living in a house, so to speak. If even you don't like playing with apartments, you can utilize its concept's whole building mechanic&tools to recreate/simulate the partial&semi-open world principle by seperating units into distached ahouses and fenced-up around (one of the reasons why even TS4 is failing to show how superior it is over the very two outdated iterations) . Heck, you don't even need shells and all that to recreate similar ,but better penthouses to what TS3 Late Night offered). Witches are probably the only life states worth playing, whilst other ones are just 'there' for an aesthetic purpose to roleplay. Kudos for EA/Maxis for putting work&effort into making them interesting by making them powerful and even providing exclusive stuff to craft and use (like the motive-buffing throne).
    1. Open for Business - Not gonna dwell to much into this ep because I don't feel like, but I'm gonna say that-- It provided a new whole level to the game. It gave us a huge focus over sims lifes over community lots rather living us stuck with playing sims on residential lots. You can pretty much be creative and go out all crazy with it. And I'm talking about the business system. With mods and all the other expansion packs, you can pretty much create anything you want with this expansion pack. Banks, courts, spas, simulated "work places", townhall, graveyard and pretty much anything with what your imaginations allows your sims to manage.
    NNpYlHF.jpg