Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are the 3 Best and Worst Sims Expansions of All Time and why?

Comments

• Options
    monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    mariah6194 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm surprised at all the people not liking City Living! In my opinion, I truly love it and think it adds a lot to the game, I love the cultural aspects of it. I play in San Myshuno quite often. I absolutely love the festivals, the premades, the general atmosphere of playing in the city... I just find this pack unique overall.

As for my list, hmm I'd have to think.

Honestly, I can't take the OP's super long essay about how bad City Living is seriously since he's never actually played the expansion. As for everyone else, what's one person's jam is another person's irritating pet peeve. Taste is a personal and subjective thing, and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited March 2017
    Wow, I'm surprised at all the people not liking City Living! In my opinion, I truly love it and think it adds a lot to the game, I love the cultural aspects of it. I play in San Myshuno quite often. I absolutely love the festivals, the premades, the general atmosphere of playing in the city... I just find this pack unique overall.

Honestly, I can't take the OP's super long essay about how bad City Living is seriously since he's never actually played the expansion. As for everyone else, what's one person's jam is another person's irritating pet peeve. Taste is a personal and subjective thing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Well speaking as someone who read everything about City Living and came to the conclusion that it was a poor EP, who then went on to purchase it because it was heavily reduced in price, to find that yes, it was terrible and all of the negative comments about it were valid. I will say that, yes, one does not have to play it to know it is flawed. Actually playing it made me realise it is far worse than people claimed.

Post edited by blueturtleotter on
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member

Do you have any expansions that you prefer over others? That's all he's asking. He never implied there's anything wrong with preferring one pack over another and also stated this info could possibly help the developers going forward. It's interesting to see some of my favorites aren't so popular with others.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I like all of Sims 3 and 2 packs except Sims 3 University it was stupid and boring I only bought if for the objects. Sims 4 can not compare with Sims 3 there was so much for the sims to do. I just wish they had worked a little harder on it, now that Sims 4 is here I must say Sims 4 is a mess it was good in the beginning, but then as they add things it messes up the the game and they don't fix things.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Do you have any expansions that you prefer over others? That's all he's asking. He never implied there's anything wrong with preferring one pack over another and also stated this info could possibly help the developers going forward. It's interesting to see some of my favorites aren't so popular with others.

I find that interesting too, especially how some of us like myself love World Adventures (I do because it is so different to any of the other EPs) yet others don't.
  • Options
    Well speaking as someone who read everything about City Living and came to the conclusion that it was a poor EP, who then went on to purchase it because it was heavily reduced in price, to find that yes, it was terrible and all of the negative comments about were valid. I will say that, yes, one does not have to play it to know it is flawed. Actually playing it made me realise it is far worse than people claimed.

Eh. Before I bought the Sims 4 all I heard about the game was how terrible it was, saw all of the whiny let's plays and crying all over the forums. Then I played it for myself and discovered that I liked it quite a bit. So no, I really don't take seriously opinions from people who haven't played the game or it's expansions, LOL.

At least your personal, subjective experience of disliking the expansion is based on actual... you know... experience of actually playing it. I don't agree with it, however, since I find City Living fun to play. But again - that's personal taste.

LOL Yes. I already posted my list. Which, incidentally, I left off expansions that I didn't buy and play because I can't make any kind of informed decision about whether they are good or not. And honestly, I fail to see how the tl:dr opinion of someone who has never actually played the expansion they're writing essays about is helpful to the game devs and will help them improve the game.
  • Options
    TrixieLocaTrixieLoca Posts: 116 Member
    The worst is easy
    1. The sims 3 into the future the most boring expansion back that has ever been in the sims
    2. The sims 3 ambitions didn't really like it at all
    3. The sims 3 showtime

The best
    1. The sims 2/3 seasons absolutely brilliant expansion brought the whole sims towns alive!!
    2. The sims 1/2/3 pets I really liked unleashed
    3. The sims superstar was challanging and I loved the crazy fan

I'll have to add I also love university packs for 2/3 as well
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    The 3 best:
    Sims 2 Freetime
    Sims 3 World Adventures
    Sims 4 New Friends

The 3 worst:
    The Sims 2 Nightlife (sorry, I don't like vampires)
    Sims 3 Island Paradise (working really bad)
    Sims 4 City Living.
  • Options

Well speaking as someone who read everything about City Living and came to the conclusion that it was a poor EP, who then went on to purchase it because it was heavily reduced in price, to find that yes, it was terrible and all of the negative comments about were valid. I will say that, yes, one does not have to play it to know it is flawed. Actually playing it made me realise it is far worse than people claimed.

Eh. Before I bought the Sims 4 all I heard about the game was how terrible it was, saw all of the whiny let's plays and crying all over the forums. Then I played it for myself and discovered that I liked it quite a bit. So no, I really don't take seriously opinions from people who haven't played the game or it's expansions, LOL.

At least your personal, subjective experience of disliking the expansion is based on actual... you know... experience of actually playing it. I don't agree with it, however, since I find City Living fun to play. But again - that's personal taste.

LOL Yes. I already posted my list. Which, incidentally, I left off expansions that I didn't buy and play because I can't make any kind of informed decision about whether they are good or not. And honestly, I fail to see how the tl:dr opinion of someone who has never actually played the expansion they're writing essays about is helpful to the game devs and will help them improve the game.

It tells them why a customer did not purchase their product. That is valuable information.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2017
    Best:
    1. The Sims 2 EP5 Seasons
    2. The Sims 3 EP09 University Life
    3. The Sims 4 EP03 City Living

Worst:
    1. The Sims 2 EP3 Open For Business
    2. The Sims 3 EP01 World Adventures
    3. The Sims 3 EP04 Generations
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    Best:

1. TS1 Superstar - recording music and movies was awesome and Superstar had the best celebrity system
    2. TS1 Hot Date - revolutionary in allowing sims to leave their homes
    3. TS4 Get To Work - the active careers are phenomenal and offer countless hours of fun

Worst:

1. TS3 Supernatural - I do not play with supernaturals. This was a complete waste of an EP.
    2. TS3 Into The Future - This is not realistic at all. I only play for realistic content.
    3. TS1 Makin' Magic - I always kept this uninstalled because magic is not realistic.

I hated The Sims 2, so my bottom 3 would probably all be Sims 2 packs but I never bought any of them.
  • Options
    casseyshazeracasseyshazera Posts: 89 Member
    To start with, i haven't played any of sims 4 expansion, and i'm getting GT this week so i cant really comment on sims 4.

The worst....

1. Sims 3 - World Adventures

I loved the whole new places, the mummies, and exploring the tombs, as well as the martial arts skill, but for me letting my sims go on holiday felt more of a chore than a holiday, There wasn't really anything relaxing and fun, and with the lengthy loading times, it just wasn't worth it.

2. Sims 1 - Living Large
    I wasnt really all that fussed with this expansion, sure there was a few new things, but nothing that really made me love the expansion.

3. Sims 2 - University
    Now i did play with this expansion alot, but i had to post something so. When you compare it with sims 3 university, theres a huge difference, and what i love about the sims 3 version, is that you can actually go with your sims when they attend certain classes.

The Best....

1. Sims 1 - Makin Magic
    Weird i got sims 1 for my favorite right?. There was soo much that i loved with this expansion, from magician tricks, to jumping into that little black hole and appearing in a carnival lot. There was soo much to do there, and when i go back and play with sims 1, i always play with this expansion the most. The rides were one of my favorites too, and to make the expansion even better... you could own your own dog sized dragon!!!
    I personally loved the look of the dragon in this game, you could get them their own bed, toys ect. and them after treating them soo well... have them burn down the house!.

2. Sims 3 - Seasons

I absolutely love this expansion, the rain was perfect, with those loud blasts of thunder, and then if you want, let your sim go outside and get struck by lightening!. In the summer, your sim gets sunburnt to the point where their like a red sim lobster. And then in the winter, one of my favorites... snow!. no matter what world you were in, the snow just made everything so pretty, i only wished i could of made the snow higher.
    And then there were the festivals, which i personally loved!. Every season had their own seasonal theme, and it really puts you in the mood for that particular season.

3. Sims 1/2 - Bon Voyage

I personally loved both of these expansions and rate them both the same. Now for these expansions they actually felt like holidays. In the sims 1, go somewhere sunny, play some volleyball, watch the guy dressed as a shark, or go camping in the woods, or even better... go somewhere snowy, do some snowboarding or skiing. And what i loved was the ability to go to the shops and get stuff for that theme of holiday.
    Sims 2 version, was equally as good, Going to the beach was great, and then swimming in the ocean. building sand castles, learning the hula, fire dancing?, and even learning that special little greeting. Again you had the woods area, and while your there... meet big foot XD . Do the log thing and fall in the water, then learn the special timber jack dance. The far east was even good, but i didn't spend as much time there compared to the other places.

I should probably mention that i loved the sims 2/3 pets, 3 Island paradise, Supernatural, Showtime & Generations which added so much gameplay.

Anyway those are my favorites, and least favorites :smile:
    Aka..... Flaming Husky
    Sims Kennel Club - Delta Aquilae Siberian Huskies

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
    AC 2, Dirt, SOD, Star Wars .... May The Force Be With You :)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    It tells them why a customer did not purchase their product. That is valuable information.

It's helpful when it comes to the subject matter of a content - things like "I didn't buy Into the Future because I don't care about robots or sending sims the future." Even then, that kind of feedback is only useful if enough people agree with me so that the sales of the pack actually suffer.

I doubt, however, a tl:dr uninformed critique about all of the features that he hasn't actually tried for himself is terribly useful in any way, shape or form to the developers. That's like leaving a review for a book that you haven't read because your friend ranted about it, and expecting an author to take you seriously, LOL.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Best:
    Generations
    Making Magic
    TS3 seasons

Worst:
    Island paradise
    Into the future
    Katy Perry (the themed stuff was cute but had limited use for me)
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Awesome thread!

My answers might be slightly controversial, but here we go :p

BEST:

1) Bon Voyage: The only Sims 2 Expansion Pack that felt worth the price tag. Finally, (thanks to sharing Castaways budget) we had what felt close to proper worlds, and the attention to detail was on point. Huge amounts of detail. Heaps to discover. Loved everything about it. The only Sims 2 EP that I feel is comparable in content with 3/4.

2) Get Together: Literally everything I've wanted as a non-family, but sandbox player. I don't need to go into detail, as we all know the club system. But I finally felt like I was God to the town at once, rather than God to one family at once. So amazing. And Windenburg being one of the best Worlds to date topped it off.

3) Makin Magic: Eveything about this pack was incredible and it added a whole new way to play The Sims. Not just with Magic, but how you play. Almost RPG. I'm sad this kind of gameplay was cut short because of The Sims 2, but I find myself seeing it return with The Sims 4 in many ways. Shoutout to the Music and Magic Town for being incredible.

WORST:

1) LATE NIGHT/APARTMENT LIFE
    I can't pick between these two. When it comes to Apartments, EA just doesn't get it. What's worse, they base a whole EP around them. AL offers minor gameplay, and some new additions, but apart from living in an Apartment, or becoming a Witch, what is the pack bringing to the table? And Late Night tries to do too much and none of it done well. These both are just as bad to me, because they are both packs that are about 80% flawed. City Living has its faults too, but it at least brought 3 Active Careers to the table and executes them better than both Ambitions (which mostly recyled base game gameplay) and Get To Work (where each career has been broken since Spa Day). It also has some good festivals and sandbox based objects.

2) Showtime. It tried to be something, but I'm still waiting to see what. I feel like this was a Celebrity Pack turned Entertainment pack last minute when Salt Lake City found out Celebs were done in Late Night (badly, but still).

3) Island Paradise: Feels like a Vacation Pack that was too hard to make work, so it was turned Residential. And they reused the Hotels to be user run, despite being so limited that you wouldn't even bother. Running your own business or lot in The Sims 3, left everything to be desired. It's also buggy AF, and thrown together considering in March they showed off how the pack looked, and it looked like they had just started.

=== Almost chose Get To Work instead of Island Paradise, but the pack itself is incredible, the bugs let it down. I don't have any other problems with it. I'd only change the Active Careers to be more like City Living ===

• Options
    edited March 2017

It's helpful when it comes to the subject matter of a content - things like "I didn't buy Into the Future because I don't care about robots or sending sims the future." Even then, that kind of feedback is only useful if enough people agree with me so that the sales of the pack actually suffer.

I doubt, however, a tl:dr uninformed critique about all of the features that he hasn't actually tried for himself is terribly useful in any way, shape or form to the developers. That's like leaving a review for a book that you haven't read because your friend ranted about it, and expecting an author to take you seriously, LOL.

A video game expansion pack is very different than a book. Lots of people purchase certain EPs for a game they like yet don't bother with others as they do not have content that interests them.

The OP was very detailed and eloquent about why he did not purchase City Living. City Living has many flaws. The camera jumping up and down is one. Social events preventing travel is another. San Myshuno can be seen in numerous media. Gameplay can be view on let's play videos.

Informed customers don't just purchase something, they research it first. There are hundreds of games I do not purchase because I know I would not like them as I know what I like and what I don't. I don't need to try features if they do not interest me.

If other's opinions do not matter, why do media organisations crave positive reviews? Because they influence buyers, hence why no review copies of The Sims 4 were released to reviewers. Damage limitation.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The OP was very detailed and eloquent about why he did not purchase City Living.

A video game expansion pack is very different than a book. Lots of people purchase certain EPs for a game they like yet don't bother with others as they do not have content that interests them.

City Living has many flaws. The camera jumping up and down is one. Social events preventing travel is another. Informed customers don't just purchase something, they research it first. There are hundreds of games I do not purchase because I know I would not like them as I know what I like and what I don't. I don't need to try features if they do not interest me.

Sure. There's nothing wrong with looking up a bunch of information or reviews about a product you're considering in order to make an educated guess about whether or not you'll enjoy it. I do that all of time when I'm considering purchasing something.

What I don't do, because it would be deeply silly, is after I've done my research and decided not to buy something, is then go on to write a lengthy review about the product that I didn't buy. Because without actually purchasing and experiencing a product for myself, I don't have enough informed knowledge to do that. I mean, seriously. No one writes a book review because they went on Goodreads and read a bunch of reviews about how how terrible it is. They review it because they bought the book. No one writes a movie review based on reading a bunch of reviews and then watching a trailer, because that would be super silly. But for some reason players of the sims games do this all of the time which is really, really ridiculous.

Finally, there seems to be this idea on these boards that all opinions, critiques, and feedback are equally useful to the person who made a product, book, movie, game or whatever. That's just not true, especially considering how subjective taste is, and if you don't believe me go talk to just about any author, artist, actor, movie director or someone who is doing a creative endeavor. You may not be the intended audience. Your personal taste might not align with the majority. Or you may be operating off of second hand knowledge because you didn't bother to play it yourself...
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited March 2017
    @monkeypants1 I'd thank you to cool it with your input now. You've said your peace, you've made your point, and now you're at risk of writing more about me than I wrote about City Living. It's starting to derail a tad.

I do not need to play the game to see that neighbors can be a constant annoyance for players, I do not need to play the game to see that the career reward list for each of the new careers is absolutely barren, I do not need to play the game to see there's nothing new at festivals and I do not need to play the game to know the bland layout of each neighborhood or how the "main attraction" is in the backround.

Likewise, I may be mistaken here but I believe the most popular opinion in this thread thusfar is that City Living is one of the worst packs of all time. The majority seem to agree with me. For all my lack of playing, it seems I hit the nail on the head for a lot of people.

I think @Himynameis said it best: City Living is a neighborhood world masquerading as an expansion pack. It has no expansion pack-like features (lacks a main hook or a main theme goal), it's just a new world. If they sold it as a neighborhood for $20 akin to the Sims 3 store, it might garner less hate...but even then, what's sad is I honestly think it'd be my last pick if I had to purchase each of the Sims 4's main neighborhoods - even after Newcrest - simply because the playable areas are just that bland. It's always four lots surrounding a central plaza, and each neighborhood has next to nothing to distinguish it from the others in terms of functionality. I think the Spice District had a basketball court while Uptown had a near-worthless speech podium ("near-worthless" since sims never listen to you speak) and that's about it. There's only a small handful of commercial lots too. It's a neighborhood world masquerading as an expansion pack....but even the neighborhood world is quite bad. Guess the big tip-off should've been that the town is called "Saint Bingo," huh?

Anyways, nothing about my review is trying to dictate how people think. If you think my opinion is worthless because I haven't played it, that's your right. If others value my opinion or feel it matches their own, that's their right too. I think you've made your stance crystal clear, and I don't think additional posts about the matter will change anything.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    Klassickicks22Klassickicks22 Posts: 179 Member

Best
    1. Generations
    2. Seasons
    3. Late Night

Worst
    1. Get to Work
    2. World Adventures
    3. Showtime
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited March 2017
    #Best#

•Sims 3 Ambitions
    Because of the great implementation of active careers (given the time). I loved the firefighter and stylist career. Plus there was a massive amount of content.

•Sims 2 Late Night
    The addition of cars in TS2 was so exciting back in the day. I really enjoyed the vampires in that pack too.

•Sims 3 World Adventures
    The expansion came with THREE worlds (before CAW tool came out) so that was a big deal to me. I enjoyed venturing through tombs and experiencing the game's concept of culture.

#Worst#

•Sims 4 Get to Work.
    Hot buggy mess. It's lame you can't visit the hospital if you're sick or to check baby gender. The checklist are repetitive. Businesses were alright but I constantly missed the gameplay components of TS2 OFB. Overall the game lacked gameplay longevity.

•Sims 4 Get Together
    Dumbest pack in the history of Sims. Could've easily been implemented in CL. The setting was beautiful, but it was lame the pack theme was set in the middle of the boonies. The dancing looked like rip offs of a Boys Beboop KPOP music video. Where's the real break dancing?

•Sims 3 Into The Future
    Pack was so bad I didn't even have to buy it to tell. Thank you OP for the reassurance.
  • Options
    MellowMellow Posts: 138 Member
    For me the best ones are : Pets ,Seas, Generations (TS3) I just love them all.

Bad ones : Get togheder (Sims4 ) I dont ever play with the Clubs, I cant travel because I have a bad laptop so ...dont use it at all.
    City Living , I dont like the fact that are so few apartments.. ( Just these 2 I dont like)
    21mc6e0.jpg
    My youtube channel with all my Sim paintings and CAS , speed builds HERE!
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    How in the world did this get put into "Off-Topic"? From TS4 General (where it probably should be) to TS4 Feedback and now to Off-Topic. Even the forum mods are getting in on the shutting down of discussions they don't like.

I wonder if everyone's Top 3 Best was TS4 packs if they would have moved it? That was rhetorical of course...
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited March 2017
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    How in the world did this get put into "Off-Topic"? From TS4 General (where it probably should be) to TS4 Feedback and now to Off-Topic. Even the forum mods are getting in on the shutting down of discussions they don't like.

I wonder if everyone's Top 3 Best was TS4 packs if they would have moved it? That was rhetorical of course...

Was just wondering the same. I'll admit I wondered where to post it too since it covers all games and there isn't a "Sims Series General Discussion," but it looks like my thread is going on a world tour and trying to collect visa stamps. I'm hoping for the Speculation and Rumor stamp or Sims 4 Expansion stamp next.

Doubt it's malicious though, I think there's just disagreement how to categorize it.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    1) World Adventures TS3 (The most robust and innovative expansion pack of all time)
    2) Open for Business TS2 (What's not to like?)
    3) Seasons TS2 Maybe not the best on paper but it added a dimension never before seen in the Sims. A true classic.

Worst? I decline to answer. I haven't bought any Expansion packs I've been unhappy with so my answer would be based on the reason I didn't buy certain packs...and that's not really fair.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    The best for me was having TS3 heavily Modded and being able to enjoy the entire collection and I also love TS2UC though I found it necessary to use Mods in that.I'd say that TS3 with 109 NRaas Mod files and over 500 other Mods is great and TS2UC with Mods is also great to play.
    The worst was trying to play TS3 without any Mods because saves got corrupted a few times with sims being deleted in those saves because children were getting taken away by social workers in those games and the EA bugfest would ruin my towns so many times I lost count of ruined saves before I got into Mods.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg