Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Useless Butlers

MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
I'm not sure if everyone else is having this problem but my butler is 🐸🐸🐸🐸. She does nothing I ask her to do. She will do the surface swipe animation, stand there and rarely clean up a plate and if she does it's a whole day after the plate was used. Number 2, the butler doesn't sleep. Yes I have assigned a bed to the butler, yes I have assigned butlers quarters but she won't sleep so time goes painfully slowly when the whole household is asleep. I eventually fired the butler because there was no use for her but anyway I needed the butlers quarters for another bedroom. Am I doing something wrong? I have assigned them the responsibilities I want but nothing. Please help.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    REDMAVENREDMAVEN Posts: 57 Member
    I've turned testingcheats on and cas.fulleditmode and attempted to make my butler a neat, perfectionist. This seemed to help a little, but did not fully solve the problem.

I do wish there was a bit more autonomy and willingness to be a good little worker drone:
    1. I have to tell the butler to let visitors in every time my Sim leaves the house and comes back.
    2. I have to tell the butler to clean still, otherwise he stands there pretending to wipe down a desk.

Now I have my vampire sim compel others to clean and repair, and that has worked out well for the most part. Also, it's fun.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    bump.
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    My butler spends most of her time reading books and eating meals that my sims cooked themselves.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    This is not a fix to your problem but I noticed my butler being significantly more useful once I downloaded the relax butlers mod.
    He now sleeps at night instead of creeping me out, and cooks/cleans up more. I have not play tested much else but it's an improvement.

Vanilla butler was a disappointment.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2017
    $10 for another half-baked SP.

Now you can only hope a patch which fix the issues.
  • Options
    konajavakonajava Posts: 47 Member
    Redmavin, you can tell a butler to clean?! Where did I miss that? It's not under Butler commands anywhere. I was actually disappointed not to see some semblance of "clean" in his command menu. Also how do you edit his personality in CAS if he's not part of your household?
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Butlers are 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Lazy kleptomaniacs!
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    Butler? How did you get a butler?
  • Options
    JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited April 2017
    CursedDice wrote: »

Butlers come with the Vintage Glamour stuff pack.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Options
    WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    There are some mods that will help your butler if you want to use them: http://pearlbhsims.wixsite.com/pearlbhsims/single-post/2017/02/06/Butler-Mods
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    lilonesub wrote: »

Were butlers in Sims 3 base game content?
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    lilonesub wrote: »

Were butlers in Sims 3 base game content?

Nope, they came with Vintage Glamour SP.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    ...and how dare you insult Jean Roussel! He has been studying so hard by reading "How to Serve and Not be Served" - A butler's guide to butlering day and night. And all you do is make demands of him and tinkle your privileged little bell.

32602780182_2e03231429_o.png
    33990826142_acc4071eb6_o.png

42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    I like that I can ask him to make a family meal... My biggest problem has been the sleeping, he was going to bed at 5 AM and there is a toddler in the household, so she wakes up by herself.. not good.
  • Options
    wishinstonezwishinstonez Posts: 448 Member
    edited April 2017
    I must have lucked out! My butler rarely sleeps but otherwise he's very efficient.

There's always one fresh meal on the table, he cleans as soon as there's a puddle or spoiled food or any dirty surroundings, he feeds the toddler, he plays with the toddler, he does the gardening, he repairs anything as soon as it breaks.

My sims have had to do literally nothing around the house. One time I had a visitor who went around breaking everything and the butler followed him fixing the aftermath - it was funny!
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I'm mixed with experience. My butler will do anything asked, he is always maintains the garden but the other autonomous things are mixed. He will repair some objects but leave others, he will clean plates sometimes but not others. He does not make much effort with the toddlers, occasionally he will come and stand near the toddlers and I have them ask for help and he does. My butlter has never answered the door.

He does happily sleep though, but annoyingly takes baths in my sims bathroom despite me giving him his own bathroom.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I think it's a bug. I had a butler that seemed to stand around and not sleep until I made my sim clean the dirty dishes, etc. Once I did that, the butler immediately went to bed and behaved normally the next day. It's like she was trying to clean or access something she couldn't get to so it made her useless.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    My butler just stands around all the time and drinks from the globe. I've tried firing them and the replacement is only just as bad :D
  • Options
    Question, can you tell the Butler to clean? If so how because I can't find it. Thanks
  • Options
    Also, someone mentioned that you could modify the Butlers traits. If so how?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I must be blessed. I've only had two households in my game who have a butler. I loved my very first butler and was startled when one of my active Sims had the 'seen a ghost' moodlet. Took a bit before I realized the old geezer butler had perished. :open_mouth: His replacement was a female and she's just not as old school as he was. My Sim rarely had to tell the first butler what to do. In the other household, I have made a point to direct my Sims to 'praise' the butler. Mostly, because they keep rolling the whim for such. The kids in this household are just so nice. Well, to be honest most of them have the good trait.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    konajava wrote: »
    Question, can you tell the Butler to clean? If so how because I can't find it. Thanks

Have your active Sim click on the butler. There should be a menu choice: butler from there you can select things.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I nearly gave my butler his walking papers today. All on the count of him nearly letting the plants in the garden die just so they can drink or read a book. And this garden was big and beautiful, and took Kate a long time to build. But Kate, Marc, and Trinity got to the plants in time to save them from dying from neglect. Then butler came to tend to the garden. I have dragged all the plants into household invent for safe keeping. But my butler came very close to losing their job over neglecting to tend to the plants. My sims really do need a gardener that won't quit after one week of serves.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I don't mess with butlers anymore. Everyone I had did nothing but roam around the house doing the white glove check. Direct them to let the guest in and they just stand there. Then once the guest least, they go to the door. Never cooked anything when asked to until HOURS after nothing but the white glove check. I miss TS3 butlers. Don't miss the obsessiveness they had with making a large feast every other night, but my sims can put up with eating turkey 3 to 4 times a week any day over TS4 butlers.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top