Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 lots? This must be a joke.

Comments

• Options
    millerolsenmillerolsen Posts: 629 Member
    It's called a GAME Pack, not a world pack.
    moss

• Options
    TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    mika wrote: »
    There's a difference between feedback and complaints. A lot of simmers consider petty demands and personal insults directed at the devs to be "constructive criticism" when it's not. That's all I have to say.

Yes.
    For example, I would like to see Sims talk to one another while fishing. Like they did in Sims 2.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM:
    "I love to watch my Sims fish! You know what I think would make it even better? If they could talk to one another while they fish and build relationships."
    COMPLAINT:
    "Fishing? Really? That's pathetic. They waste all this time making fishing when they should've made Seasons or Pets instead. Sims 2 was way better. At least they could talk to each other. The developers are terrible people who don't listen and put ketchup on their birthday cakes."
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    TL;DR It's been part of the plan for a long time. We knew folks wanted it and so did we. We've been working on them throughout a lot of the "endless feedback".

Longer explanation:
    Toddlers are something we've desperately wanted to do since we launched. And for free as a patch too - not paid content. We felt strongly about that and it was very important to us. It took time to get everything in order (balancing SP, GP, EP, and free content development simultaneously is no easy task. It's actually quite challenging). Simple as that.

Trust me, at several points we wanted to scream from the highest mountaintop "THEY'RE COMING!" but were simply unable to. So we kept our heads down, weathered the repeated feedback, and did our best to get quality content into your hands as soon as we possibly could.

With a little luck we've made Simmers happier today and given them something to enjoy.
    I hope you all enjoy it too! You deserve it!

Hey, no one points the finger at you nor any of your work colleagues. Today is a wonderful day for The Sims 4. It is simply the best patch ever! But the point remains that without fans there is no game, without knowing what we want there is no direction for the game. That is simply the point I am making. It is a symbiotic relationship I guess! lol You basically said as much in your post.

Having just spent the day playing with toddlers I can say, hand on my heart, it is the most fun I have had with TS4. having toddlers has completed the life cycle and its 100% awesome.

it must be a huge day for everyone who worked on this amazing update and there is nothing better than a long-term goal met and met resoundingly well. You all deserve to feel appreciated and also proud of your work.

But I'm still gonna push for more content, bigger worlds/more lots etc... and all that good stuff. ;)
    I may be reading this wrong, but I think the distinction here is that yes, fan feedback helped them shape what toddlers ultimately became, in terms of design, but no, fan "campaigning" did not make them get implemented, as they were already planned from the beginning.

I don't want to step on any fan's toes and give them the impression that their feedback isn't important because I do believe it is. But I do want to point out that "without knowing what we want there is no direction for the game" is overstating it. The fans help in providing ideas, in making it known what they want, and of course, in supporting the game, but every dev team has paid designers on staff and part of the job of the designers, creative leads, etc. (whatever title you'd like) is to try to create something that will (1) fit with the vision of the game, (2) be a fun and repeatable game experience, and (3) in the case of a franchise like this, improve on past designs while also taking into account what features are most popular and most feasible with the resources available and the constraints being dealt with.

At least, that's a rough sketch of it. The point being that there are people paid to figure out the direction of the game. They can't rely on fan feedback for that, or they'd be dead in the water on day one. They can use fan feedback as one of many compasses to guide them to what will hopefully be a successful content release (which is what, I'm sure, most of them do).

I don't want people to think I am singling them out or lumping them into a group (neither is my intention) but I'd also like to point out that there may be a lesson here about aiming to keep "campaigning" for features as peaceful, positive, and constructive as possible, knowing that there may be a zipped lips group on the other side who wishes they could share their plans with you, so that you know you don't have to campaign in the first place. I am not the model fan and I am not always polite myself (in some communities in the past, I grew rather bitter, due to unhappiness with the direction of the game, which may or may not be grossly understating it). And the last thing I want to do is be the guy who gets up on a high horse and tells other people how to act, so realize that I'm saying this from experience of being rather embittered and cynical: Sometimes I wonder if the best thing to do is to state what you like and don't like, offer ideas if you have them, and then move on.

This idea of campaigning for features, as we can see with toddlers as an example, is more complicated than it looks. Where one person sees silence and gets frustrated, assuming they are being ignored, someone on the other side sees perpetual asking and (I would imagine) can get frustrated or disheartened knowing that they can't say a word about what they're working on.

Ultimately, I think as long as we respect each other (fans respect each other, fans respect devs, devs respect fans, etc.) we'll be ok. Speaking from experience (and some insight from people much more experienced in life than myself), it's when we lose respect for the other party that things can quickly get out of hand. I never really understood it in those words until recently, but looking back on times when I felt that I was over the top as a fan for a game, I had lost respect for the devs on some level. Even if it was just some head guy/gal in charge that I scapegoated as the problem, I didn't respect that guy/gal and there was little they could say or do that meant anything to me other than "here they go again with more [thing I don't like]."

Anyway, I don't want to be too serious when so many are enjoying themselves. But apparently I am already doing that anyway. It's the teacher in my genes. I can't turn it off.

You know what's sad? That the family play thread has been one of the most peaceful, accepting and friendly threads around. We also had a lot of support for the devs and were frustrated by the limitations placed on them and shared sympathy for that. But still nothing was ever good enough and constantly we had this narrative of 'family players or toddler fans are unreasonable'. No they aren't, and never were. The issues sprang from the game being released too early. That was never a fault of any fan.

Just because the odd person was rude, or upset or whatever else didn't make the entire fan base that wanted a similar thing to be responsible for their INDIVIDUAL behaviour. It doesn't work that way. That is placing artificial responsibility across thousands of fans (and customers!) and it makes zero sense. Vilify a whole group over the actions of a few? As a teacher that's a really important lesson to put across, because that is a common mistake made! Just because x commits a crime doesn't mean all other people with his background, economic group, etc etc are guilty by association.

We all know trolls took advantage of the situation anyway. (We saw a lot of terrible things on the forums post release) I'm guessing some of the most ridiculous mean comments from any direction were from those types exploiting the situation for their sick brand of entertainment.

It's great that finally toddlers are here. It's just a massive shame that we've missed out on two years when we could have been enjoying them in our new base games! Or waited to have them ship in time. The reception to TS4 was because someone at EA made the decision to ship an unfinished game. Which, by the way, the month it happened EA CEO promised they would never do again. So presumably they are aware that it was damaging their reputation and chances for the game across all the games that occurred with. I just hope this is the last time and next generation can flu from the first day with no excuses :)

It's important for customers to always hold companies to account in terms of quality and expectations. It's actually saving EA money when people give detailed feedback because often people don't care enough about the product or company to bother and then when something goes awry they have to chase answers using expensive focus groups and research. It can even cause a lot of damage to the company when it comes as a shock if people didn't say and just stopped supporting them. Here they have lots of *free* articulate feedback that they can sift out through the other noise. They can pull a lot of information out of this forum and for a lot cheaper than from hiring expensive firms to carry out research.
    I just want to make a point of saying that I feel weird with you saying this in a quote of what I said, as I went out of my way to state that, "I don't want people to think I am singling them out or lumping them into a group (neither is my intention)."

If you are trying to say that I vilified a whole group over the actions of a few, I did not. I just reviewed what I said and I can't find any place where I even hinted at naming a group or person.

When I mentioned campaigning for features, I was responding generally to what NZsimm3r had said about pushing for content, which I know for a fact is not always done in a pleasant or polite manner (this is a matter of "if the shoe fits").

When I mentioned toddlers as an example, I was referring to the conversation between NZsimm3r and SimGuruNinja, and the surprise reversal of perspective therein. That some people thought sure the sims team was more or less ignoring toddlers and, as it turns out, they had plans to get them in the game for free since launch, but they had to find the right time to get it done.

Beyond that, I don't know what to say. If you'd like to discuss the subject further, you are welcome to PM me. I'm all too aware of how charged a subject this all can be.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    There's a difference between feedback and complaints. A lot of simmers consider petty demands and personal insults directed at the devs to be "constructive criticism" when it's not. That's all I have to say.

Yes.
    For example, I would like to see Sims talk to one another while fishing. Like they did in Sims 2.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM:
    "I love to watch my Sims fish! You know what I think would make it even better? If they could talk to one another while they fish and build relationships."
    COMPLAINT:
    "Fishing? Really? That's pathetic. They waste all this time making fishing when they should've made Seasons or Pets instead. Sims 2 was way better. At least they could talk to each other. The developers are terrible people who don't listen and put ketchup on their birthday cakes."

Exactly. And lol @ "ketchup on their birthday cakes". I knew someone who put ketchup on pancakes :D
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Yes.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM:
    COMPLAINT:

You know what I find more pathetic than the lack of socialization with fishing in TS4. Other people trying to control others and tell them how to express themselves. I have little tolerance for control freaks. No offense, but everyone can ask themselves, "Am I a control freak'? If you can answer I want to reword that for them....then yes you are. If you can say I don't like how you said that....then yes you are.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Back in the days before TS3 launched seems to me I fought off hordes of TS2 fans who "fought the power"

Down with Rabbit Holes!
    Down With Story progression and the demise of rotational play!
    Down with RPG game play!
    Down with the pudding face!
    Down with the Store!

They were extremely concerned about the future of the franchise.
    Maybe EA listened? Just sayin' B)

Rabbit Holes are not removed completely (only their building-alike objects are removed). I can't still follow my sims to work and school.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    millerolsenmillerolsen Posts: 629 Member
    I don't mind how many lots it has as long as we can live there... AND WE CAN!
    moss

• Options
    sheronparrissheronparris Posts: 64 Member
    This was a wild ride from start to finish. I'm super excited for vamps and everything the gameplay grants us.

I think if you can complain about other people so much (or what you perceive other people to want), you don't have much self-control. It's great to care about the game SO MUCH but when you start knocking other people, especially Devs, you've crossed a line. If your opinion is the same as belittling everyone that 'didn't agree with you,' you're a child, plain and simple, and need to grow up.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    edited January 2017
    Extremely pathetic. I am so disappointed. Sad I kinda feel like a hater right now, but there is no way I can defend this game.

So agreed. A tiny 5 lot 'hood just isn't big enough. I'd really rather have had an empty Newcrest type world with the hallow's spooky atmosphere than just a small little hood with pre-mades on it.

I was finally excited for something TS4 was releasing for the first time since the base launched then I found out about this. What a mood killer.

Edit: Reading through the thread it is really sad how low people's expectations are for this game. :(
  • Options
    ValmionValmion Posts: 89 Member
    I find it amazing that with this game pack, which is by far, the most detailed and flushed out of any we have been given, that people still look for something to say it's all ruined for me because (fill in the blank). I love what I have seen so far. Been playing this game since Sims, still have TS2 and TS3 installed on my computer. These vampires, oh and those free toddlers we got, are some of the best creations I have seen in any sims game. How, I mean really, how could I be upset because they only gave me five lots to build with. To quote my father, "Some peoples kids."

• Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Would you rather they gave us a huge world, but very little gameplay? Or cut out a lot of the amazing build/buy items just so we can have a full sized world? It's a GP, which means the devs most likely had a limited budget to work with and had to prioritise what was most important. For me, I'd rather have a pack with interesting gameplay than just a pretty world to look at but nothing to do in the pack. So, 5 lots is good enough for me and watching the livestream yesterday, I was impressed with FH.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Would you rather they gave us a huge world, but very little gameplay? Or cut out a lot of the amazing build/buy items just so we can have a full sized world? It's a GP, which means the devs most likely had a limited budget to work with and had to prioritise what was most important. For me, I'd rather have a pack with interesting gameplay than just a pretty world to look at but nothing to do in the pack. So, 5 lots is good enough for me and watching the livestream yesterday, I was impressed with FH.

Depends what you call a "huge" world. Is Newcrest huge? Is that too much to expect in a GP?

Personally I would say no. There's no real reason they can't do good gameplay and give you a good world to experience it in. Why should we have to settle for one or the other?

Sad thing is this is the only "spooky" or "supernatural" type world we are likely to get. I doubt they'll double up on "spooky" neighborhoods with future GP's. So we'll forever be stuck with this tiny little 5 lots hood.
  • Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited January 2017
    I just hate it when people say they're happy with a pack even if it is 5 lots and you got some people saying "Oh well thats just really sad that this makes them happy." If it's not a problem for them then its not a problem for them. If its a problem for you then you have all the right to voice your opinion but don't worry about other people how about that? Im glad they focused more on the vampires than anything else. Yeah the world is small but its not like they can't live in the other worlds either. By the way im so sorry that my happiness makes you "sad." :D
  • Options
    /shrug The more people are willing to settle for less the more the devs will live down to those expectations. If wanting a better and fuller experience is wrong I don't wanna be right.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I was reading the vampire game pack twitter Q&A on sims vip earlier and a sim guru mentions in one of the tweets that they had to keep it tight for performance. I would link or post an image but im a new member. I personally love the neighborhood and its size.
  • Options
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    /shrug The more people are willing to settle for less the more the devs will live down to those expectations. If wanting a better and fuller experience is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Well with the other two GP's we didn't even get a new world at all. We still don't know if they plan on doing more supernaturals in GP's (Which would mean possibly more spooky worlds.) or an EP (which could mean one world with a lot more lots) Look maybe there are more people talking about wanting more lots and maybe the devs will make slightly bigger worlds for GP's but that is just maybes. The devs try to listen to everyone. Just because people are saying they're fine with the 5 lots doesn't mean the devs won't make bigger worlds. In the end though (and yes I know this has been said a 100 times over) but it is just a GP. If it was an EP then yeah I would have a HUGE problem with it.
  • Options
    2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    Maybe Forgotten Hollow will expand as more supernaturals are released in the future? Did anybody think of that? Plus, the concept is longer nights and shorter days.

Perhaps when witches are released, werewolves, and other supernatural life states, the supernatural world will expand? Or maybe I'm wrong with my assumption. I really don't think they would give us an entirely new world for just witches, and another just for werewolves, etc. I'm hoping Forgotten Hollow is a neighborhood rather than its own world, that will expand over time.

I'll most likely use every lot in Forgotten Hollow, but I'm also going to make vampires in all the other worlds. They'll just sleep during the day and stay up all night and take advantage of the night owl crowd.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Honestly, I feel like I am getting a better, fuller experience in 4 than I did in any of the other series, and especially compared to the last one.
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member

Hmm... I love everything about this pack. I actually expected much less when it was announced for the first time, but it appeared to be far beyond my expectations. And you are saying I must hate it just because the new town is small (considering that previous GPs had no towns at all, and Outdoor Retreat's town had almost the same size)?
  • Options

Depends what you call a "huge" world. Is Newcrest huge? Is that too much to expect in a GP?

Personally I would say no. There's no real reason they can't do good gameplay and give you a good world to experience it in. Why should we have to settle for one or the other?

Sad thing is this is the only "spooky" or "supernatural" type world we are likely to get. I doubt they'll double up on "spooky" neighborhoods with future GP's. So we'll forever be stuck with this tiny little 5 lots hood.

I currently have 124 lots in my game. FH will add 5 more for a total of 129......with more to come in the future.

I don't need a big world when every world and lot added expands the game and the world my sims can travel in.

You might like a 90 or so lot world in sims 3 that you have to start anew each new pack, but I much prefer this method of expanding what I already do have.

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

I agree but.... Oh dear, you are on a losing streak with this topic. Been there, done that. It's just like some people can't see that wanting more is a good thing, not a bad thing, nor an unreasonable thing. I don't know why so many simmers can not see this point and feel like they must defend the game with their last breath as I'm not against the game actually.

@DecafHigh for some reason often people in this community is ok with less and will defend that, which is fine, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion even when it does seem counter-intuitive.

I'm sure you're aware as I am that smaller neighborhoods are designed that way to ensure the performance of the game stays within certain parameters, which I find sad. Perhaps if the base specs had been at a more reasonable standard for todays gamers then we would have been able to expect more confidently.

Despite all that, this pack looks to be giving us the very best vampires we have ever seen in The Sims, which is incredibly exciting. But, like always, I'm always just that little bit disappointed that we can't have the large spaces that it seems you and I want.

Maybe the engineers will be able to satisfy the need for performance and the craving for larger spaces within the game in the future... or maybe not as I suspect it all hinges on the game engine design that was (I guess) specifically designed with small neighborhoods in mind.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options

I agree but.... Oh dear, you are on a losing streak with this topic. Been there, done that. It's just like some people can't see that wanting more is a good thing, not a bad thing, nor an unreasonable thing. I don't know why so many simmers can not see this point and feel like they must defend the game with their last breath as I'm not against the game actually.

@DecafHigh for some reason often people in this community is ok with less and will defend that, which is fine, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion even when it does seem counter-intuitive.

I'm sure you're aware as I am that smaller neighborhoods are designed that way to ensure the performance of the game stays within certain parameters, which I find sad. Perhaps if the base specs had been at a more reasonable standard for todays gamers then we would have been able to expect more confidently.

Despite all that, this pack looks to be giving us the very best vampires we have ever seen in The Sims, which is incredibly exciting. But, like always, I'm always just that little bit disappointed that we can't have the large spaces that it seems you and I want.

Maybe the engineers will be able to satisfy the need for performance and the craving for larger spaces within the game in the future... or maybe not as I suspect it all hinges on the game engine design that was (I guess) specifically designed with small neighborhoods in mind.

I am looking at the "big" picture and how Sims 4 is different from our previous experiences with the sims. And yes, it is way different in many respects.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

I am looking at the "big" picture and how Sims 4 is different from our previous experiences with the sims. And yes, it is way different in many respects.

Yeah..I know, was just replying to @DecafHigh like I said... wanting more is not a bad thing. It is also not a negative statement about the game. I've clocked over 4000 hours on TS4... it's pretty difficult to make me the 'hater' here.... not that you are doing that, but many try. :)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »

Yeah..I know, was just replying to @DecafHigh like I said... wanting more is not a bad thing. It is also not a negative statement about the game. I've clocked over 4000 hours on TS4... it's pretty difficult to make me the 'hater' here.... not that you are doing that, but many try. :)

Yes there is nothing wrong with wanting more. I can agree with this but there is no need for using of the words "pathetic and sad" especially if you're talking about other simmers.