Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Ok, Writer's Lounge peeps, on the subject, what's a good way to stay on top of reading other SimLit? How do you get into a good routine?

I'm trying to get back to a reasonable place and I'm so far behind, I feel overwhelmed.

Haha... here I am tired... beyond tired and I thought I posted this question in the Writer's Lounge. Not kindness bench.

Sorry Kindness Bench Peeps! I'll post this over in the Writer's Lounge too.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    @simscognito Thanks. I wanted one I never have to change xD

@CathyTea I find that well-written stories with deeper meaning are put aside often in favour of lighter ones that are often sensational for the sake of getting attention. It might be a trend or simply people's tastes wanting lighter reads. When I read serialised web novels I find that I am often upset that the ones I find to be 'best' are low in popularity, though they have a core following. Yup, it's the same world over :(

I would like to know which stories are your more expressive ones, because I'm slowly making my way through Goofy Love and I'd love to read one of those next! I'll get to all of them in time though :)
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    chalicen wrote: »
    @simscognito Thanks. I wanted one I never have to change xD

@CathyTea I find that well-written stories with deeper meaning are put aside often in favour of lighter ones that are often sensational for the sake of getting attention. It might be a trend or simply people's tastes wanting lighter reads. When I read serialised web novels I find that I am often upset that the ones I find to be 'best' are low in popularity, though they have a core following. Yup, it's the same world over :(

I would like to know which stories are your more expressive ones, because I'm slowly making my way through Goofy Love and I'd love to read one of those next! I'll get to all of them in time though :)

Thanks, @chalicen ! I really appreciate this observation. It's true that some of my favorite stories by others--ones that I am passionate about and that I feel rival anything I've ever read, including Jane Austen! :) --get fewer readers. I always feel like yelling from rooftops, "Hey! Read this!" because I love the works so well.

For my stories, the ones which mean the most to me (that is, which I feel express something essential to how I see and experience life) are Shift, Thirty Sims at Three Rivers (which is a collection of interconnected short profiles), and Lighthouse. A short story which meant a lot to me when I wrote it is This Wide Green Home.

Of these, Lighthouse is still a work in progress--the others are completed.

And I just noticed that all of these works have a definite political and ecological bent, so that may have something to do with it, too...
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Hey everyone :)
    I've been busy writing, often working on several different sections of my story at the same time. Basically I'm getting my ideas out and I'll add to/restructure them as I go along. Anyway, in a past post I mentioned that the character of Cassie is actually Keegan's human servant, and has been for many years now. So my question is, how should I introduce that element in the story, since it plays a minor role near the story's end. Thanks for feedback/suggestions B)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    NyteRose wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)
    I've been busy writing, often working on several different sections of my story at the same time. Basically I'm getting my ideas out and I'll add to/restructure them as I go along. Anyway, in a past post I mentioned that the character of Cassie is actually Keegan's human servant, and has been for many years now. So my question is, how should I introduce that element in the story, since it plays a minor role near the story's end. Thanks for feedback/suggestions B)

You could always show it, by depicting her performing servant-type tasks, and you can also reveal it in the way the two speak to each other.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    I should have clarified a few things lol. Cassie lives on her own and is an artist, but this just a cover to befriend Jasmina and earn her trust. Cassie does refer to Keegan as "Master" when they talk. So I'm fishing for a way to reveal that she's his servant without blowing her cover to Jasmina and the others. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    I should have clarified a few things lol. Cassie lives on her own and is an artist, but this just a cover to befriend Jasmina and earn her trust. Cassie does refer to Keegan as "Master" when they talk. So I'm fishing for a way to reveal that she's his servant without blowing her cover to Jasmina and the others. Does that make sense?

Ah... I see! Well, calling him "Master" is a good tip-off. Is it OK if the readers find out when Jasmina eventually does?

• Options
    Well...I could hold off but keep going in the direction I'm headed. That would probably work better actually.
  • Options
    Update should be posted some time today- working on the last bit of it now. :)
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Update should be posted some time today- working on the last bit of it now. :)

Exciting! :smiley:
  • Options
    The new chapter is complete and posted. Working on another chapter already. *happy dance*
  • Options
    Oh yay! I'll check it out. :)
  • Options
    MorieTrisMorieTris Posts: 56 Member
    I think you guys are my lucky charm, since not two days after I complained about not being able to play, my new cooling fans for the GPU arrived! Thank you!!!
    JMppbSi.png
  • Options
    New chapter is currently in the works and will be posted tonight or some time tomorrow. Maybe sooner if I finish it early :)
  • Options
    @MorieTris woo that's awesome! Also, I like your new Avi. She's really cool.
    @NyteRose yayyy! :smiley:
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    i'm writing a journal entry about how I want to date and stuff my parents will say..about stuff.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    i'm writing a journal entry about how I want to date and stuff my parents will say..about stuff.

give your parents a chance. they might suprise you. mine were sure i wouldn't live by myself very long and the reason i now have a brand new fridge is because i proved them wrong.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

give your parents a chance. they might suprise you. mine were sure i wouldn't live by myself very long and the reason i now have a brand new fridge is because i proved them wrong.

They somehow expect I will meet a man someday by staying in this small town. The only likely hood of that happening if they end up on my doorstep at the most. Which is about 90% not likely to happen. Church, bowling and day-program are out for reasons. (day-program, short reason "conflict of Interest" , church and bowling- way too young/too old parents' or grandpa's age).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Sorry for the no new chapter post, life got in the way for a night. But I'm still hard at work on the pages I'm sectioning out. I'm not being lazy lol
  • Options
    Sorry for the no new chapter post, life got in the way for a night. But I'm still hard at work on the pages I'm sectioning out. I'm not being lazy lol

@NyteRose We never assumed you were. Life happens. Take your time. Us readers aren't going anywhere. :)
  • Options

@NyteRose We never assumed you were. Life happens. Take your time. Us readers aren't going anywhere. :)

Cool. I have one section almost finished and it's depressing but I won't say what happens. No character deaths though, I can promise that much.
  • Options
    For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    I'm back from a short SimLit session. was writing, then couldn't sleep. But lurking here is kind of calming.
  • Options
    For_Eorzea wrote: »
    I'm back from a short SimLit session. was writing, then couldn't sleep. But lurking here is kind of calming.

Hi, Eorz! :) The Great Eorz! I'm about to head in game to play the Lighthouse save!

• Options
    For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    For_Eorzea wrote: »

Hi, Eorz! :) The Great Eorz! I'm about to head in game to play the Lighthouse save!

Yes please
  • Options
    Feeling a little burned out and uninspired to write but I still want to write. I have two different chapters being written at once and I'm not sure which one to focus on. I've just been winging it, writing down whatever pops into my head.