Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SMALL UPDATE COMING TO THE PC VERSION OF THE SIMS 3

Comments

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited November 2015
    They're nothing spectacular, @jackjack_k. I also run the game with mods which I'm sure help and tend to only play in my own, custom world. But so far, yeah, pretty good luck with TS3. As far as my system though I have an i74790 @ 4.0GHz, it's overclocked to 4.4 I believe. 16GB Ram, 2 TB drive w / 1.56GB free and the card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 770. There are plenty of people with better than I have who seem to have issues, I really can't explain why but I am very thankful to have the game function the way it does. I honestly wish it did for anyone who wants to play it. :( Even so, my game still falls prey to some of the weird stuff like stretchy toddlers in the ITF tubes, stuff like that, nothing that ruins the game for me.)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    crinrict wrote: »
    Thanks, disabled it. I can leave 'Origin automatic update' on I presume?
    This will also effect updating Sims 4 I guess, so I'll have to do that manually from now on.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2015
    That only affects Origin itself so yes, you can leave it on.

And yes, this effects ALL your Origin games.

This update won't be offered through the launcher and there also won't be a manual patch (which makes me think, there's going to be a lot of stuff I need to update)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    AMofOzAMofOz Posts: 856 Member
    Thanks for letting us know and for the update! I think it should be good to be able to easily pick and choose what Stuff Packs or EP's you may or may not want to play with. I luckily haven't had much performance problems either, despite having most EP's and SP's.

I haven't got Island Paradise yet, but I have heard it can be slow and buggy regardless of your system, so I'm thinking this is where it could be a benefit and might help to just play that EP as is without any other content to help with the issues.
    -Ann Maree (AM for short)
    Feel free to add me on The Sims 3 MyPage.
    I now own the store! (apart from avatars and badges)
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I'm pretty sure I have it all turned off, because on the rare occasion I open Origin I frequently get asked if I want to update it. I'm going to check just to be sure, though, because I'm very suspicious about this. It hasn't been that long ago that updating TS3 through origin made CAW EIG stop functioning. Like a lot of you, my game is working just fine and based on experience this will be unlikely to be of benefit to me.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm pretty sure I have it all turned off, because on the rare occasion I open Origin I frequently get asked if I want to update it. I'm going to check just to be sure, though, because I'm very suspicious about this. It hasn't been that long ago that updating TS3 through origin made CAW EIG stop functioning. Like a lot of you, my game is working just fine and based on experience this will be unlikely to be of benefit to me.
    And I remember a recent 'patch' that started uninstalling everything? Still glad I wasn't playing the game at the time.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Exactly, @JoAnne65 . On one of the recent patches to update Sims 4, it messed up all my Sims 3 and I uninstalled.
    I doubt we will really have much of a choice to have Origin be boss-hog. Remains to be seen, though, I guess.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I'm guess if you've avoided Origin up to now, it won't be an issue. So old disc version all the way through, you should be able to continue as is. if you have anything downloaded, that might be a different story.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Rubbish. Why would I install all the expansions and then chose to only play with 2 of them?
    Why was nonsense needed?
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    O.K. I'm concerned. My discs are the earlier ones that didn't have the DRM in them and I have always by passed the launcher. I didn't buy the digital downloads but discs so I could avoid the online DRM. Does this mean anytime I want to play TS3 and my EPs I have to log into Origin now? And what about my store stuff? I don't know I hate having to log into Origin to play anything that I didn't need Origin to play before. I wonder if this means the games will be monitored by Origin now like TS4?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lets be real, they are doing this because each expansion brings it's own set of issues and it's basically an option to turn them off.

I would have hoped they sent the last year fixing the bugs to make it playable -period- since no new content is coming out. Instead the packs I paid for now can just be disabled?

I'm appreciative of the fact they still care, but turning of content I paid for, rather than fixing the game breaking bugs that can know be fixed because no new content is jarring.

The Sims 2 didn't need this and I bet they won't do this for 4 either (since the Sims 4 with all content runs just as well as the Sims 1 base).
    The Sims 3 starts falling apart after 2 EP'S are installed.
    Ya. That's exactly why I just made sure this update won't happen next time I start my launcher. While you are sitting there, thinking my game fell apart in July 2010, I'll continue happily playing all 11 EP's.

OBVIOUSLY not everybody has those issues. But there is a definite change in peformance when you play with JUST the base game.

Eg. Deligracy has a beast of a machine (Youtuber) and she had to cancel her Sims 3 LP even though she only had Seasons and Generations installed. Why? Because the Sims isn't optimised for a lot of hardware.

Alot of other youtubers also have the same issue even when playing with just one or two EP'S or some store content.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Derp.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    crinrict wrote: »
    Thanks, disabled it. I can leave 'Origin automatic update' on I presume?
    This will also effect updating Sims 4 I guess, so I'll have to do that manually from now on.

I had nothing updating automatically - it STILL decided what it wanted to do with my Sims 3, even though I "told it to stop" (whatever the action was) and it makes me mad.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    [Ya. That's exactly why I just made sure this update won't happen next time I start my launcher. While you are sitting there, thinking my game fell apart in July 2010, I'll continue happily playing all 11 EP's.

I will join you. The game ran perfectly fine on my old PC which was only a dual core + Nv9600 GT and 4gb's of ram, that had all EP's up to Supernatural. It runs just as well on my newer PC with all EP's and everything maxed out.

The game is held together by bandaids, sure, and is certainly demanding at time, but it isn't quite as bad as the over-dramatisers make it out to be. Unless of course they're trying to play it on a PC from the stone age, loaded with CC and everything maxed out.

I'm not going anywhere near this patch. I don't even use the launcher unless I have to install store content, and now that I own everything I want, I've got no real reason to even open that, unless I want to install a new world. My game is perfectly tuned, modded and running like a dream. There is no way I'm letting another EA fail patch near my game.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    I will be playing will all 11 expansions. I bought them, I WILL be playing with them!
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    No way I'm letting Origin in my TS3 experience. I even loathe the Launcher and always play by bypassing it. (And, yes, my game and expansions are all legally bought.)
    Same. I don’t even have Origin installed anymore.

What I’m curious about is what else is included in the update besides the Pack Manager.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Well I opened Origin to make sure updates were turned off and it started updating. I get the message that EA wants to install an update tool. How can I open Origin with this going on?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited November 2015
    I hope we're not forced to update. Most of the mods we have will burn if this changes anything in the game itself. Especially since a lot of modders won't make anymore updates to their mods, we might all be plummed. :s
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    BazajayteeBazajaytee Posts: 33 Member
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Well I opened Origin to make sure updates were turned off and it started updating. I get the message that EA wants to install an update tool. How can I open Origin with this going on?

That is an Origin client update. Nothing to do with The Sims 3 or any other game you have on Origin. Allow the update to complete then you can disable game updates ahead of tomorrows The Sims 3 update.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i have a question will the disk still be required 1 and will the code when i first install the sims3 work if its listed on origin because i no longer have the disk? loan them to my nieces and the last ep into the future i purchuse its not my nieces fault nor mine was stolen thank you for any answers?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Bazajaytee wrote: »
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Well I opened Origin to make sure updates were turned off and it started updating. I get the message that EA wants to install an update tool. How can I open Origin with this going on?

That is an Origin client update. Nothing to do with The Sims 3 or any other game you have on Origin. Allow the update to complete then you can disable game updates ahead of tomorrows The Sims 3 update.

I'll give it a shot thanks.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Even with auto updates off in my Origin Client it still says I need a patch if I forget I'm connected to the internet and open it. Darn it. I just did that to make sure they were still off..now it wants to add yet again a new patch. In the last two weeks I have already had to add two more.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    chrissramionchrissramion Posts: 50 Member
    I'm not understanding why we have to pick and choose which expansion packs we want in our games "for the best gaming experience"... As a gaming company, shouldn't you guys try and fix your games for them to work on our computers? Cause it's not like TS3 worked swimmingly on the computer's to begin with.... :/
  • Options
    BazajayteeBazajaytee Posts: 33 Member
    > @friendlysimmers said:
    > i have a question will the disk still be required 1 and will the code when i first install the sims3 work if its listed on origin because i no longer have the disk? loan them to my nieces and the last ep into the future i purchuse its not my nieces fault nor mine was stolen thank you for any answers?

As you have The Sims 3 registered in Origin (which you will need to do to get the prompt for the update), then no, you do not need the disc. Same with the code, Origin handles your code for you so you do not need it again.